(Topic ID: 299791)

Rush or Motley Crue

By Rascal_H

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Rush or Crue”

• Rush Pinball 208 votes
      47%
    • Motley Crue Pinball 235 votes
      53%

(443 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2F0BFA43-EFE7-4924-990A-EF024EBF6882.gif
    9AF6B929-DA12-413D-B0D6-B3960F60B8E3 (resized).jpeg
    9255F6C0-A16E-4B40-A178-20A32E888697 (resized).jpeg
    9133728D-E48C-4614-8C97-A794CFD2A545 (resized).jpeg
    20150524_192207 (resized).jpg
    76cbd146e7f35a44b912f88e20228b46 (resized).jpg
    16379540778402584373181184889177 (resized).jpg
    triumphrockmachine (resized).jpeg
    AF1D18A1-6A1E-4E7E-B059-2049962ED5DF.jpeg
    7E5328A2-80BA-443C-90FE-FD2168004881.jpeg
    EBD0D86D-CE96-45B6-8E1D-55F22DA103D6.png
    FFE1F177-CFFE-4AC3-8DDF-D9EEEE81B28B.png
    F639E4C2-A652-41D2-ABA1-58D1F616F82D.png
    0442D7D5-4FC3-4EA4-890E-407D80D205BE.png
    cdb809c01916b2f13fd607bdc756f224 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5800 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jaybird815.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 2 years ago

Rush will sell well in North America, and flop in Europe/Australia. The majority of pinsiders from Eur/Aus either have never heard of them or aren’t fans.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from Captain_Howdy:

Crue, why anyone would release Rush is a very questionable and quite poor research...
    But I reckon the license is dirt cheap.
    Loads of bands that should get a treatment before a virtually unknown band like Rush.
    Van Halen, Queen etc... Even more modern stuff like Rammstein would sell way better.

Rush is a polarizing band. They have plenty of die hard fans in this part of the world on one hand, but are in every most hated band list ever compiled. A true love/hate band.

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Crue is great! Wait… its still 1988, correct?

Crue is currently more popular than Rush, according to sales/downloads. I don’t really care much for either though. But like Rarehero was saying popularity doesn’t always equate to pin sales.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Or ‘great music’ for that matter - they were one of my favorites when I was in high school, but these days they get a quick channel change from me.

Rush could’ve been one of the all time greats if they just would’ve went with a male lead singer.

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Sales/downloads just tell you if someone wants to listen to a song. It doesn’t tell you about a fanbase’s passion. Crue has some fun songs - does anyone LOVE them so much they want a pin of them in their house? No. Rush fans have a deep emotional attachment to the band.
    Let’s look at the best selling rock pins: AC/DC & Metallica. Massively passionate fanbases, who would have loved a 90s pin, but it never existed. Those pins filled a desire for those fans. Rush will be the same way. For me, AC/DC Metallica & Rush will be my music pin trilogy.

I honestly think either one of the two would sell well.

#70 2 years ago

“I love Rush” , said no female ever.

#75 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I found one! She might be related to Geddy, tho

They do exist!!

#93 2 years ago
    Quoted from Geddy2112:

Let's be honest does Motley Crue have any songs that or music that compares to 2112 I think not ..nd people Say a rush PIN wouldn't sell they should do their homework when Rush was touring there were one of the biggest acts in gross revenue as musicians there's no comparison Tommy Lee versus Neil Peart Alex lifeson verse Mick Mars and on bass Nikki sticks vs. Geddy Lee Rush went out on top and crew is still trying to milk it there are an embarrassment and when Rush went overseas there tours always sold out Rush has one of the most loyal fan bases in music and I believe the pin will have no trouble selling yeah I'm bias cuz I'm a Big Time Rush fan as of Motley Crue yeah they were cool when you were 15 or 16...

Read post #84, this is gone over in every one of the dozens of Rush threads, the overwhelming majority of European/Australian pinsiders have never even heard of Rush. Which admittedly shocked me.

Also Motley Crue has sold almost 3xs the amount of records over their careers, that’s not saying they are better, just more popular.

#96 2 years ago
    Quoted from Squizz:

Don't know who the F#ck Rush is, and not going to google to find out!
    Just a very easy passsssss
    And I'm sure that I'm not the only one in Australia regards who is Rush! Other than the Racing Movie - Hunt
    Bring on Jaws and BTTF and I'll be more than happy!

Have you heard of Motley Crue? Haha

#100 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Guess you have never heard the necromancer

I’ve heard enough of them to know they’re not my cup of tea. I’d honestly be happy for all the die hard Rush fans if they made a Rush pin.

#133 2 years ago

I’m pretty sure I’d rather be fat than dead.

#167 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:U tube The band Buffalo (live in Australia video 1974) and Rush on The same ticket would of been awesome. Shows Aussies like rock so it would be impossible if no Rush fans in Australia.

1974 lol, the thing with Rush is there’s virtually no generational carryover, you’d be hard pressed to find anyone under 30 who has heard of them. My kids 18 and 26 had some friends over last night and not 1 had heard of Rush. Everyone knew who Motley Crue was.

#170 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Yeah...you don't want to play that card. Most kids can't even tell you who's running the country. It's sad...

I get ya, but Rush fans tend to way over estimate their popularity, they definitely have a rabid fan base, but it’s 1 deomographic, over 40 white male, which is perfect for the pinball demo, haha.

#172 2 years ago
    Quoted from gouveia:

Kids aren’t the ones buying pinball machines.

But they will put a $1 in a game if it’s a theme they like. See it all the time.

#174 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Some kids are cooler than yours.

Haha, Rush is the ultimate nerd band.

Growing up, wearing a Rush shirt was like wearing chick repellent.

#183 2 years ago

What will be the the LE allocation for a Rush pin?

997 to North America and 3 to Europe/Australia?

It may actually make it easier for Rush pinheads to grab an LE

#186 2 years ago

Really? I would think Metallica, you see them everywhere, I’ve rarely seen a Kiss pin anywhere

#188 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

They sold 17,000 of them...........back in the 70s.......

Forgot about the old Kiss

#194 2 years ago
    Quoted from ejg10532626:

Positively not true.
    Rush is my favorite band, and my Les Paul owner/player 15 year old daughter discovered them on her own with zero influence from me.
    Domestically, Crue may have some superiority.
    Worldwide: Rush definitely wins this one, and Rush also has nowhere near the checkered past the Crue does.
    Been dreaming about Subdivisions rocking away while I am flippin' for a long time.
    Now it's 3-9 months away!!!!

Not even close worldwide, not now, not ever. Not by any metric. Record sales- nope. Concert sales-nope. Downloads-Nope. Just look at the responses from any pinsider from Eur/Aus, on this thread or the dozens of other “ I want a Rush pin” threads. They either aren’t fans or have never heard of them. You are the one that is dead wrong. Again it doesn’t make Crue better than Rush But it is absolutely no contest in popularity by any metric you look at, well except maybe fanboyism.

#200 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Rush = brilliant musicians vs Crue brilliant entertainers

I think that is a pretty spot on assessment, I think Rush isn’t universally loved is because a lot of people, myself included, detest Geddy Lee’s voice/singing style.

#212 2 years ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

Ok. After all the debate and reading multiple posts, I'd much rather have a Suge Knight/death row rap pin before rush.

Something different at least. Rock pins sell well though.

#239 2 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

ugh sabbath would be god awful. Judas Priest would be awesome though

I believe you have that backwards.

2 weeks later
    #312 2 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Guns " N' " Roses has two pins; there is no correlation between musicianship and pins.

Kiss, as well

#319 2 years ago
    Quoted from Calgedy:

Stern builds 10,000 Rush machines and they would be sold quickly. Rush has a cult like following, many are in their 40-60's and have a lot of toy income to spend.

No, Rush may have some seriously devoted fans, but their popularity is nowhere near as large as Rush heads think they are. It will sell well in North America and bomb in the European and Australian markets.

#329 2 years ago
    Quoted from bbaker2824:

... And Rush has been in South Park!
    [quoted image]

#336 2 years ago

Maybe, maybe not.
    " In London, Rush did five sold-out nights in a row at the Hammersmith Odeon and in Europe their concerts were selling out three months in advance." - from "Rush Identifies With International Markets" - RPM Weekly, November 8, 1980
    Perhaps European pinheads trend younger these days.

Find one pinsider from Europe or Australia that would be interested in a Rush pin. I know it’s not the end all be all, but it is telling that not a single one has said they’re fans or even have heard of them. Every one that has commented in this thread or the 50 other Rush threads have said they have zero interest. 1980, lol.

#338 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Jay bird I think both pins would do well...I have a big list of my favourite crue songs as well. There are many music afficionados and fans that would buy both no problem.

I agree, but Rush will not outside of North America. Motley Crue is way more popular worldwide and would sell better than Rush.

#348 2 years ago
    Quoted from Calgedy:

Going October 15 in Berkeley. Going only for Rush, but will enjoy Primus. Look at the show Primus is doing......1st set Primus, 2nd Set Rush, Encore Primus. Primus knows that if they did Rush in the 1st set half the audience would leave lol. Smart. Jaybird815 many many people in all of these threads have said they would want and buy a Rush pin????? And yes they were huge in England and Germany and still are with the older crowd who has the discretionary income to buy these machines. Same in North America. Shit tons of Canadians would buy this theme. I know 10 people in my little inner circle that would buy it. I also have good friends who cannot stand RUSH lol. Sure there are people who won't like it, I don't like KISS and have zero interest in any KISS themed pins. It is what it is. A 10,000 RUSH pinball run would sell out. They sold out entire tours late in their careers (2010, 2012-2013 and 2015). These are major arenas that hold more than 10K people. You would be surprised how many people like Rush. You just don't know because you don't seem to be a fan? Yes I agree Motley Crue has a huge following over decades, no argument there. I am not a huge fan.......we all have our own tastes, but the Rush pin would sell well....even with my biased opinion!

They’re popularity is nowhere near that of Motley Crue, record sales, concert attendance, downloads etc. I’ve always said that it’ll sell well in North America. Find one European or Australian that has any interest on this site, I’ll wait here.

#350 2 years ago

Haha, I honestly hope you Rush nerds get your pin, I just find it funny how popular you guys think they are. You are cultish, and that’s why I’ve said it will sell well here.
    It’s a Rush or Motley Crue thread, while not being a fan of neither, I stick by my original thought that not only that the Crue would make a better theme for a pin, it would also be a better seller. Eur/Aus makes up about 40% of the market, is what I’ve heard. Thats a big slice of the pie to make up.

#JayBirdKingdom

#353 2 years ago
    Quoted from Calgedy:

Yes we may be skewed a bit lol...........all the best Jaybird.........

All good brother, I hope you get your dream theme.

#356 2 years ago

The Crue (who can't spell and use an extraneous umlaut in their dumb name) is formulaic, lowest common denominator rock, so of course it sold better.
    But let me ask you this: How many diehard Motley Crue fans do you know of, who are loud and proud about how it's the best band ever and their absolute favorite? I have yet to run across a one, to my recollection.

To be completely honest, I personally know no one, pinhead or not, who is a die hard Rush fan. But I do have a friend that plays in a Crue cover band. Which admittedly is a much easier cover, haha.

4 weeks later
    #405 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Maiden, AC/DC are huge down here. Those bands have played to 40,000 plus crowds here in Auckland.
    Metallica can sell out any venue they want.
    Black Sabbath are big - the reunion tour sold out here (maybe 2 nights?)
    Priest is popular, but not the same as those bands. They played to 10,000 in Auckland last year, which was pretty good for a niche band.
    KISS has some diehard fans, but can’t fill a 12,000 seat arena here. They are huge in Australia though, they’ll play multiple nights in 12,000 seat venues.
    Aerosmith isn’t really popular. Most people wouldn’t have heard of them outside of the 90s songs. Walk this way with DMC was big, as were the radio hits. But not the 70s stuff.
    Rush - no, nothing at all. I know one guy here who is into Rush. He’s Canadian.
    That’s not a diss on the band at all (for that dick that downvoted my post above ..)
    They were just never marketed down here in the 70s/80s/90s, so they don’t have a fan base. The only reason I know a heap about them is I have read US rock/guitar magazines since the 80s. Otherwise they wouldn’t be on my radar either.
    We also have a bunch of bands down here that are huge that none of you US/Canadian guys would have ever heard of.
    rd

Haha, Rush freaks seem to have a hard time believing that they aren’t an international phenomenon. They’re a cultish bunch.

1 month later
    #454 2 years ago
    Quoted from skink91:

I’m just gonna leave this one here… a little Thanksgiving 2021 magic for all you Crue fans (who just can’t tolerate Geddy’s voice)

How’s Pert’s drum solos these days?

#488 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

45, and my music pin trilogy is AC/DC, Metallica, and Rush. Not sure how you missed out. I listened to Crue, too - and a ton of other 80s trash hair bands…Skid Row, Cinderella, Warrant, etc. Most of it, we left it in the 80s & didn’t retain a passion for it. Rush kept the passion of its fans, as it was timeless. That’s the difference.

To say Crue was left in the 80s is absurd, just in the last couple of years there’s been a best selling book, a movie and there’s a series coming out soon. Their 2022 tour is playing in all the big stadiums and arenas. They just sold their song collection for $150 million. Hell, even this scientific pinside poll they’re leading, and pinheads are a nerdy bunch. It doesn’t make them the better band, just a lot more popular.

#492 2 years ago

I love the Ratt Geico commercial.

3 weeks later
    #535 2 years ago

Uh oh, we have a Rush fan spat!

2F0BFA43-EFE7-4924-990A-EF024EBF6882.gif2F0BFA43-EFE7-4924-990A-EF024EBF6882.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jaybird815.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rush-or-motley-crue?tu=Jaybird815 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.