“Rush/Godzilla Node Board 10 issues and Non issues list”

• Rush LE/Premium with issues 67 votes
    35%
  • Rush LE/Premium no issues 120 votes
    63%
  • 2 votes
    1%
  • 0 votes

(Multiple choice - 189 votes by 188 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

not today.gif
old_gods_and_new.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
rmptst_02 (resized).png
rmptst_01 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #229 Node board #10 check Posted by Peak-Pin (1 year ago)

Post #231 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Peak-Pin (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jesterpester.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#474 1 year ago

Yup, same here. Just got the replacement board and motor. Everything updated etc before install on the 27th. Maybe 50 games so far and it blew tonight. I was really hoping it was figured out finally. Uggh

#488 1 year ago
Quoted from SterlingRush:

spectrum-1980s and Jesterpester , did either of you do any of the mentioned possible fixes, before putting in the new board? Or just swap in the new board?
Would be nice to list what was/wasn’t done, before board swapping, so we can keep the information flowing.
Either way, sucks to have that happen for you two.

Did not do any fixes, just trusted Stern did a better job at the crimps. Looks like they did not.

F2105448-45DB-4CE2-B7EE-5F5451E0BEFB (resized).jpegF2105448-45DB-4CE2-B7EE-5F5451E0BEFB (resized).jpeg
#490 1 year ago
Quoted from gandamack:

I would like to confirm what items people received in the Rush fix kit. Two items correct? Node board and new motor? Nothing else, correct?

Nope, nothing else.

3 weeks later
#584 1 year ago
Quoted from ian866:

They should be offering toppers at cost to anyone experiencing faults which have still yet to be resolved as a good will gesture !!
( Tin hat time )

I asked Stern about possibly getting a discount on the topper due to the Node 10 issues and was denied. Didn’t think it hurt to ask.
We’re waiting on our 5th Node 10 board.

#587 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Can You maybe walk us through the 1st 5 attempts.Like 1st time Changed board only next try ?My sympathies to You what a Pain.

Let me start by saying this is our very first pinball machine so this is all very new to us. We have learned a lot but I’m still hesitant to dive in and try to self diagnose/fix and have been relying on Stern mostly. Probably a huge mistake but they have been quite helpful and responsive in trying to resolve and keep us up to date on what they are doing on their end to figure out this issue. Frustrating to say the least but I feel like they are working on figuring out the cause and eventually will figure it out finally.
I may have miscounted after going back through my back and forth with Stern and its 5th, not 6th. Feels like a hundred. Machine arrived late August and the original board failed mid-September. Stern sent a replacement board which failed 2 weeks later. Couldn’t find anything wrong with the exception of the way over tightened zip ties on the motor wiring, which I think began the whole looking at the zip ties theory. Stern sent new board and new motor which failed after 2 games. Stern again sent new motor/board with supposedly redone pins. Board failed again. Crimps on the pins apparently were still not done correctly according to Stern after they looked at pictures. So now we are waiting for the latest motor with the wires going directly to the board without the connector involved. Not convinced that will be the end of this issue but hopefully. My husband is an electronics engineer although not usually dealing with boards etc but he is convinced the issue is with the design of the board itself.
It’s frustrating as like I said this is our first machine. We’ve talked about owning a home pin for nearly 30 years because back when we were dating, we spent a lot of our dates playing pinball. Great memories! We were never settled enough to buy one. Decided this year we were in a good position to finally buy one. We each had milestone birthdays last year and thought it was the perfect gift to ourselves and took the plunge. Wanted to buy the Creature machine as it was what we spent so many dates playing and always wanted to own. Distributor thought a NIB machine would be better for us as it would be less maintenance over a used machine. Haha. So now here we are with this fantastic machine with nothing but issues since it arrived.

#589 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Thank You for sharing.I really Hope Stern takes care of You and I mean a little more than just a new Board as You have
not had the best experience with what I think is one of the best machines available.If I were Your Distributor/Stern I might give You a loaner Machine until this is resolved.

Stern has been great. Distributor has been MIA through all this. What little response I have gotten from them has been less than helpful. Hoping to add another machine in the near future and it will for sure NOT be through them.

#592 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Buy as close to local as you can, it's worth the few hundred you might save by buying from someone who knows they will never see you for maintenance

We did. Closest we could find but still 3 hours away.

#595 1 year ago
Quoted from ian866:

Where are you located, maybe some one on here is local and can help ?

We’re pretty remote so 2-3 hours away is the norm for anything. It’s all good though. I’m learning tons so far regarding maintenance and troubleshooting and it’s actually become quite a fun little hobby for me which I wasn’t really expecting. Definitely has become less intimidating to me. Have already replaced coil stops, replaced all the black rubber, ninjacamp scoop fix, installed a shaker motor, etc and unfortunately getting to be a pro at swapping out the node board and ramp motor. Just ordered the expression lights so will get to install them and planning on ordering the Pinwoofer kit hopefully soon. The machine is playable for now with the ramp disabled and will just wait for Stern to get the motors in stock and give it another try with fingers and toes crossed. Not sure there is anything else we can really do at this point. And hey… if I can score over a billion without a working ramp I can’t wait to see how well it plays with a working ramp.

#598 1 year ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I felt sorry for you until I read this. Welcome to pinball ownership. A great first pin and if you can survive this you are ready for anything.

Haha, not giving up just yet. It’s a pretty awesome game and despite all the issues with the node 10 we have no regrets.

#603 1 year ago
Quoted from Big_Whoopin:

Pun intended?
Creature has been on my wish list for years too! It was the first machine I ever saw with a dollar bill feeder, and man did that feeder get a lot of use from me during my college years. I have been warned it can be a bear to work on though, but one day I still want it in my collection.

Of course! I love a good pun.
Yeah, I’ve heard that too. It’s still on my wishlist but now far down the line. Received this as an anniversary present a few years ago and have it hanging near our Rush machine. It will have to do!

14C1A090-2E93-474F-8D82-563C7A4A9EE0 (resized).jpeg14C1A090-2E93-474F-8D82-563C7A4A9EE0 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#611 1 year ago
Quoted from Pat-in-ct:

I got the new fix this weekend, still not working

You couldn’t get it to work or you blew the new board you just received?

1 week later
#631 1 year ago

Has anyone who installed the “new fix” kit had issues calibrating the ramp and drum clock? Both of mine have seemed to have lost their minds. Up when supposed to be down, clock off time by 20 or so minutes. Get them calibrated and seemingly working ok only to have them both end up way off again. Can’t figure it out.

#634 1 year ago

Yup! Everything is set as it should. Stern now says probably bad node board. Back to the waiting for a new one. This is now board #6. I’m kinda over this game now.

#635 1 year ago
Quoted from ian866:

Have you got the switches on the replacement node board set as per the manual ?
Are the reference switch inputs plugged in ok ?

Yup! Everything is set as it should. Stern now says probably bad node board. Back to the waiting for a new one. This is now board #6. I’m kinda over this game now.

#638 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Is this with the Latest fix ?

Yes. New Node 10 board and new ramp motor without the connector. Just received it Friday.

#641 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

This fix ? Dang .And Stern thinks it could be a bad board out of the Box ?

Yes, that fix. Even pulled the motor back out and reinstalled it in case I did it wrong. That’s the response I got from Stern after a few back and forth emails. Must be the node board.

#645 12 months ago

I wasn’t convinced that the new node 10 board was “bad” right out of the box. Waiting for the new one to arrive. I played around with the bias settings and got the clock working just as it should finally and not losing time. I got the ramp finally going up and down as it should but it eventually would only come up about halfway about 3 balls into a game. But I was just playing a test game where so far everything was working fine until I noticed the ramp didn’t come up. Blew the board again same way the last ones all blew. There has to be something seriously wrong with our machine.

7EDAB45A-708F-45E6-AE76-8458927EF915 (resized).jpeg7EDAB45A-708F-45E6-AE76-8458927EF915 (resized).jpeg
#661 12 months ago
Quoted from Boslaw:

Also, Jesterpester, if you're really done dealing with the issues (and I probably would be, in your shoes), you might want to check into your state's/federal lemon laws. Contrary to popular belief, they don't only apply to cars - they apply to all consumer products. If a reasonable number of repair attempts to a warranty issue have been made, and the manufacturer still can't fix the problem, you should be able to return the machine for a full refund. 6 or 7 Node boards without an end in sight is beyond a "reasonable" number of attempts to fix.

I agree. I’ve been trying to get some options from the distributor but he just never responds.

#662 12 months ago

I posted earlier about our ramp and clock acting crazy after installing the new board and newest motor fix. I was able to get the clock working properly but the ramp was still not working correctly. Finally the node board blew. Got the replacement board yesterday and after installing, the ramp works just fine now. So it must have been a bad node board right from the box. Stern suggested leaving the drum clock unplugged for a couple of weeks to see if the new ramp motor and board work properly. If so and we plug in the drum clock and the board blows, then we’ll know it’s the drum clock and not the ramp.

1 week later
#668 11 months ago
Quoted from spaisley:

So, I worked with Stern support, and honestly they were awesome. Very helpful and understanding. New Node 10 board and Motor fixed it!
I did video what my ramp was doing. Pretty crazy... Here's the videos I sent for your enjoyment.
Ramp Dance
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a01J6ntnJ9LRuE6zKT3p-D-5nc861ZWr/view?usp=sharing
Up is Down / Down is up!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mNkC_kQQgQHiLWZZvRzUYkNWC6xyE2N4/view?usp=sharing

That is exactly what mine was doing too. Didn’t change the motor but replaced the board. My ramp is still acting screwy.
So do the people in tech support share info between each other? The guy I have been emailing just throws new node boards at mine.

#669 11 months ago

Here is what my ramp is doing now. Works fine but then doesn’t come up all the way and drops a few steps. You can see in the video the 3rd time the ramp comes up (around 1:30)it’s lower than the hole and drops when hit. Can’t physically push it down. Then next ball it’s fine.

#671 11 months ago
Quoted from mjannusch:

Your ball hit the front of the ramp and knocked it down a little bit. Sometimes happens.

This is different though. The ramp isn’t coming all the way up even before it gets knocked down a little. Like 1/2” below where it should. Enough that when a ball goes up the ramp, it hits the bottom of the hole and ricochets back up into the glass hard.

#673 11 months ago
Quoted from carpetnarpet:

I received the rev 2.0 kit with board and motor last week. I'm having the same issue with inconsistent ramp height, it also sometimes reverses (thinks up is down). In contact with Stern, they're thinking it might be related to a switch that senses the ramp height. They've requested a video but I've not been able to capture it yet, happens every few games and then clears up. Playing with the bias settings sometimes clears it up but eventually it reverts.

Careful… this seems to be inevitable.
Had ramp working for a couple of games after playing with bias.
On to the 8th board maybe?

ADDBBD4B-7264-4A3D-B224-F6585B257276 (resized).jpegADDBBD4B-7264-4A3D-B224-F6585B257276 (resized).jpeg
#675 11 months ago
Quoted from mjannusch:

Maybe adjusting the bias isn't such a good idea. What's wrong with the default settings?

Because they don’t stay where they are set. And adjusting the bias shouldn’t blow the node board.

#677 11 months ago
Quoted from JToeps:

Wonder if there is an issue with the clock motor too?
( also how are you on that many boards, I just got them to replace the one replacement at this point so I’m on #3. It’s been a slog dealing with the service)

It’s not the clock motor on ours because it isn’t hooked up to this board as requested by support to try and isolate the issue. And we’ve been replacing boards since the machine arrived in August.

#683 11 months ago

2 months ago I asked Stern if there was any protection on the board from back EMF from the motor and this was the response I got.

“Technically it's the chip (U1) that's getting blown from the feedback, which is the motor drive chip. It is sensitive to that stuff, and one of the things we did try was adding in some extra protective circuitry to see if it would help. It did not, those boards blew just as fast as the rest. I'm not sure if the node 10 boards have that extra protection added in since it didn't help in testing, but I think the next revision will have it anyways since it also didn't affect performance of the board and should technically help against EMF.”

#699 11 months ago

How many here are still sitting on machines with blown node boards waiting for replacement from Stern? Just curious.

#707 11 months ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

Makes you wonder if it can be overly tight zip ties on the clock motor?

I don’t believe it is. When I installed the last motor/node board fix, I was told to leave the drum clock unplugged from the board to try and isolate the issue to the ramp motor. Never plugged in the drum clock and still blew the node board.

#712 11 months ago
Quoted from SterlingRush:

Question: for all of those who received replacement motors with long leads, but still ended up with blown boards, did you mount the motor correctly when installing? Meaning, did you ensure the side with the protection tape, was facing towards the wood of the playfield?
Making sure people caught that in the instructions, as you don’t want it grounding out to that light socket.
Just curious.......

What surprised me about the new motor was that it got EXTREMELY hot in a very short amount of time. After installing it and testing it with 1 quick ball, I lifted the playfield and the motor was so incredibly hot I couldn’t even touch it. Seemed WAY too hot for a stepper motor in that short time.

#715 11 months ago

Looking at the previous post picture, I notice that there is no little filter board. Those that had problems with the latest motor fix, did you have this little filter board installed on the board?

0B05B4E5-3DA6-4FCA-B51B-02B408C0D487 (resized).jpeg0B05B4E5-3DA6-4FCA-B51B-02B408C0D487 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#734 10 months ago
Quoted from j_m_:

the LE on route near me has just blown the 9th node board 10
after all of the fixes (replaced node boards, corrected gauge connectors, elimination of secondary wiring harnesses, etc...) is stern any closer to actually solving the actual problem?
I guess the question is why isn't this an issue on a single godzilla premium/LE with the exact same node board being used?

It makes me wonder if they are doing anything at all or if the tech people are even sharing the issues. I’ve been told that the latest motor fix has resolved the issue for almost all the games except for ours. I’m not buying that at all.

1 month later
#779 9 months ago
Quoted from michiganpinball:

Sorry to say....Stern had me test our location Rush LE with the drum disconnected and the Node 10 still failed. In addition I tested (on my own) soldering the ramp motor wires to the node 10 pins to be certain that there was a solid connection between the motor and node 10 at all times...and node 10 still failed.

Same here. Last board/motor replacement we did and left the drum clock disconnected and board failed anyway. We’ve gone through 9 or 10 boards since we’ve gotten the machine a year ago and have yet to have a working ramp/clock. Been down again for 2 months now and no idea when or if it will ever be fixed.

#783 9 months ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

You have the perfect machine for Stern to use to bring this issue to closure. They should buy it back from you, ship it to their shop, and get their best electrical engineers to trouble shoot it.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
Thank you for checking out the PinWiki - http://www.PinWiki.com/

Stern told me they have 2 they’ve gotten back with the same issue that their engineers are working with to figure out the issue. I offered them mine as I am sooooo over this it isn’t funny. Can’t sell it, can’t trade it and am stuck waiting for them to figure it out. They just keep telling me they will let me know when they figure it out.

#784 9 months ago
Quoted from andre060:

WTF! That's insane!

Isn’t it? We now have what we call “the graveyard box”. This doesn’t include the ones I sent back to stern or the current blown one still in the game.

IMG_5847 (resized).jpegIMG_5847 (resized).jpeg
#787 9 months ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

I have two of them here at the shop and I just received the part from Mouser. I can remove and replace the part (if not so burned that the surrounding traces have been destroyed) but I pretty sure that the repaired board will blow again, just like the new boards. Replacing the part doesn’t solve the underlying problem.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
Thank you for checking out the PinWiki - http://www.PinWiki.com/

They need to redesign the entire board.

#791 9 months ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Some sort of back EMF stepper motor filter or snubber placed between the board and motor to protect the chip.

I asked about this back in March and this was the response they gave me.

-Technically it's the chip (U1) that's getting blown from the feedback, which is the motor drive chip. It is sensitive to that stuff, and one of the things we did try was adding in some extra protective circuitry to see if it would help. It did not, those boards blew just as fast as the rest. I'm not sure if the node 10 boards have that extra protection added in since it didn't help in testing, but I think the next revision will have it anyways since it also didn't affect performance of the board and should technically help against EMF.

3 months later
#873 6 months ago

After burning through numerous node 10 boards and motors since day 1, we finally replaced the node 10, ramp motor and that little filter board that goes on the node 10. Don’t want to jinx anything but so far so good and it’s been a couple of months now (we play just about daily). The only thing we did different this time is replacing the little filter board with everything else. We had board failures before with just the ramp connected and no clock and never could find much wrong with the wiring that would point to a definite cause.
The only issue we are having now is the ramp not raising fully during certain modes or multi balls on occasion. Still can’t figure out why and it’s kind of frustrating.

#885 6 months ago
Quoted from Jesterpester:

After burning through numerous node 10 boards and motors since day 1, we finally replaced the node 10, ramp motor and that little filter board that goes on the node 10. Don’t want to jinx anything but so far so good and it’s been a couple of months now (we play just about daily). The only thing we did different this time is replacing the little filter board with everything else. We had board failures before with just the ramp connected and no clock and never could find much wrong with the wiring that would point to a definite cause.
The only issue we are having now is the ramp not raising fully during certain modes or multi balls on occasion. Still can’t figure out why and it’s kind of frustrating.

I knew I was going to jinx it. Blew the node board this morning. This one worked much longer than any of the other ones. It was fun to actually play the game for a little while with the ramp/clock working. I think we’re done at this point. I’m so freakin’ tired of trying to fix this game.

1 month later
#892 5 months ago

I am curious how many of us are still stuck with machines with blown boards. Ours is still broken and I can get absolutely no response from Stern. I don’t know what to do anymore. Thinking about a lawyer at this point.

#894 5 months ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

It it were me, I'd want a Rush Pro and a refund of the difference, plus some sort of cherry on top for the ridiculous amount of time wasted.

I’ve been trying to return the machine to them but they haven’t responded to me in over a month. Nothing but crickets. Can’t resolve anything if they won’t respond.

1 week later
#905 4 months ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Just curious if any of the guys who have had multiple failures and were unable to play even a few hundred games have asked their distributor to trade them another Rush or any F ing machine as a replacement.I bet Mine would have taken care of Me.

Mine said he didn’t have another Rush and would only take it back if I brought it to him. He’s 3 hours away and I only have a sedan so would have to rent a truck to do it. He’s been less than helpful through all this. (Actually looking to purchase another machine if anyone has distributor recommendations… refuse to buy another one from him after this).

I did hear back from Stern and they are going to replace both motors and node 10 but are waiting for someone to test the whole setup together before they will ship it out. Because obviously we’ve just been unlucky with poor crimps etc on the handful of motors we’ve already replaced.

1 month later
#923 3 months ago

What is the definition of insanity?
Replaced the entire ramp assembly, ramp motor, clock motor and node 10 board. Parts were “tested” before being sent. 30 games we got to play before it blew.

#927 3 months ago
Quoted from ian866:

Have you ever been offered a replacement power distribution board ? There have been instances of failed components on that item being linked to possible node 10 failures. In your case it does look as though you need to start looking at other influences that are the possible cause.
This is the part number :- https://shop.sternpinball.com/products/spike-2-power-distribution-board
This is the component that was at fault :-
Have a look at this thread, maybe this could also be an answer, contact Chris Hibler for his views ?? :-
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-clicking-power-supply-fix

Thanks for the info, I will have to take a look. Aside from the node 10 issue, I have only had one other weird issue with the machine that Stern brushed off. I’m not convinced it’s not related to the node issue. Just above the power supply there was a bunch of black dust. Looked like it came out of the fan and was enough to cover the translite to the point it was noticeably dirty when it was lit. It wasn’t from the rubber rings as I swapped all those out right away. I swiped my finger through the dust and touched it with a magnet and it stuck. Asked Stern and was told “no idea” and that I must just have it in a dusty location (it’s in my living room and the dust is only inside the back box). I cleaned it off and it never returned. I think it came from a capacitor. I asked Stern a handful of times if it could possibly be related and still told it shouldn’t be.
I’m going to look through that thread and see what I can find. Appreciate the info!

A52F7379-59DC-4134-877C-AD134A908F0E (resized).jpegA52F7379-59DC-4134-877C-AD134A908F0E (resized).jpegD810B1B5-3E24-4A38-B19C-B03D33704EFF (resized).jpegD810B1B5-3E24-4A38-B19C-B03D33704EFF (resized).jpeg
#930 3 months ago
Quoted from aamauzy:

Magnetic dust with that placement kinda sounds like the fan failed and started eating itself. Does the fan on that PSU still work? I’ve had similar magnetic dust appear in datacenter equipment when a fan fails or just gets really old. If the dust is magnetic, it will conduct electricity and eventually cause havoc to whatever it coats.

I think you’re right. The fan isn’t working. I’m guessing it hasn’t been working since shortly after we got it. Frustrating since I’ve asked about it since I noticed the dust back in early April and asked again as recently as early December only to be told it can’t possibly be causing the issue.

#931 3 months ago
Quoted from ian866:

Vic (PinMonk) is the man to ask on this one, he's had enough experience of the power supplies and how they over heat and go into protect mode. Maybe the power supply fan has failed and something with the protection mode is spiking the node 10 as it switches ??
I'd be opening that up to see what / where the dust is from. Take photos and document things, could help in getting a warranty replacement.
The CPU board looks clean so more than likely the power supply is the culprit, unless its come from something below such as the distribution board and the fan has drawn it through ??

Thanks for the info again. This is all above my head but looks like the fan isn’t working at all. My husband is the electronics expert around here so he’s going to open it up today and take a look. I bet this is the culprit.

#934 3 months ago
Quoted from ian866:

This is interesting, as the majority of node board failures seem to appear on start up, which is when the power supply is clicking due to the caps being out of spec, and the ramp and clock are cycled to reference their position and show the time.
Rush was the first game with this issue using caps parts sourced in 2022, Godzilla was mostly built and done before all this started to happen
Time to see what nodes are in Venom ( not in Foo-Fighters, there's next to nothing in that ).
Can you hear the power supply clicking on boot up ?
Edit; appears the problems on Godzilla only started this year.

No clicking that I could hear. Nothing noticeable inside the power supply so I am guessing it’s the fan that failed and it’s just getting overheated. My husband is testing it now.

#935 3 months ago

Well everything tested fine. Fan IS working so it wasn’t that. Still no idea what the source of the black dust was. I’m back to being clueless.

#941 3 months ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If it was getting overheated, it would turn off. There's a failsafe on the RSP-500-48 power supply at 158F where it turns off to protect itself (see graph below). I think it's just that the fan has a thermal switch and it wasn't turning on (because it only turns on once it hits 122F) when you were checking it, so it seemed not to be working when the power supply just wasn't warm enough to need cooling and turn the fan on.
I don't think that dust is that unusual. On route I'd see it pretty frequently. I think it's just coil dust that gets sucked into the power supply from the cabinet (there's a big hole below the power supply straight into the cab) and then disbursed by the fan into the head.
[quoted image]

Thanks! Yeah, we realized that pretty quickly about the fan. Just grasping at anything at this point as to what’s causing this board problem. We were hoping it was something stupid and obvious we may have overlooked because we can’t be this “unlucky” with bad motors etc.

#945 3 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

That's just the coil dust in the cabinet getting concentrated by the power supply fan. That stuff is always floating around in the game, and the fan's air movement just concentrates it over an area and the dust easily sticks to the vinyl areas so you normally see concentrations there.
The dust is from the metal on metal contact in the coils.

It just stuck in my mind because it seemed like an excessive amount in a very short amount of time right after we got the machine. There was none in the cabinet, only in the back box and once I cleaned it all off it hasn’t returned. I’m just trying to find some source of the issue outside of the motors/board because that’s clearly not what’s causing the problem on our machine.

2 weeks later
#1071 3 months ago
Quoted from Damagio: Haven’t heard back from Stern yet, but it was later their time, so I am sure they will tomorrow. I went through the connections thoroughly…twice and emailed them pics as requested. My expectation was that this would last a few hundred games and meet the same fate. I was floored that it didn’t last one ball! I am pretty sure they would send another one, but at the point now where I am hesitant to even try it without something further being done, you know?

Just curious if you heard back from Stern yet.

#1077 3 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

There's been confirmed instances that the ramp motor was unhooked and the clock motor connected - the node board still failed. And visa verse, ramp connected and clock motor unconnected - still failed. Hence the reason for the testing involving both motors disconnected. Granted, you might have had a different problem.

Yup! We blew one of our boards while the drum clock was unhooked. The problem is most definitely outside of the board/motor setup… at least on ours and I’m sure many others.
Stern now is wanting us to send in our playfield so they can look at the wiring. I am quite hesitant to do that.

#1080 3 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I realize you don't want to do that, but it sounds encouraging that Stern is finally digging into it deeper. They seem to be looking at one of the concerns we've been chasing down - coupling on wires.
Have you tried to get Stern to just send you a different PF, swap, then ship yours back in the same box? Are they at least willing to send you a box?

I would rather swap the playfield but they said the only one they had the playfield itself was in bad condition and did not come close to passing inspection. So they are supposed to be sending a box.

#1089 3 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Jesterpester originally posted the comment above along with the picture below. Could someone please take a picture of both sides of this board? High enough quality that I can see the traces? I want to see how it is wired up.
Thanks ahead of time.

89B7B6E3-D98C-41DE-BE82-205F5786C819 (resized).jpeg89B7B6E3-D98C-41DE-BE82-205F5786C819 (resized).jpeg
#1091 3 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Excellent!! Thank you!
I am somewhat interested in seeing the ground connections on the caps. Is it just a thin trace connecting them all together or a ground plane?

IMG_6316 (resized).jpegIMG_6316 (resized).jpeg
#1093 3 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Man @jesterpester, you're quick! Thanks again.
Not the best layout, sharing a common ground by a long trace. It's probably not a problem, but I'll put that info in my back pocket just in case.

Haha, had a spare one handy. We replaced it 3 or 4 boards ago.

#1104 3 months ago
Quoted from Damagio:

I am glad to hear Stern is willing to do that, but certainly understand your concerns. For me, if they offer, I will do it out of desperation at this point. It’s a fantastic game and I have been a big fan since I was a child. I want to keep it, but I want it fixed with some certainty that it’s a real fix. None of us want to be dealing with this indefinitely.
Very curious as to why some folks have not had a problem.
Keep us posted Jester! Hoping you will be one of the first with a permanent workable solution!

I have no choice really. I just want to return the machine and get our money back and am frustrated as hell that this apparently isn’t an option.

2 weeks later
#1175 79 days ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

A couple of quick questions for everyone. The poll in the thread sort of covers this, but it's a little vague.
1) If your node board failed, did you have a shaker, expression lighting, or a topper installed? I realize the LE had a shaker/expression lighting installed. Was the Expression kit an option for the Prem that came with it, or did you have to purchase separately?
2) You installed a shaker/expression lighting/topper on your premium and never had a failure? Either one, two, or all?

We starting failing node boards in our stock premium right out of the bix. Added shaker motor after the 3rd or 4th failures. Blew a couple more before adding expression lights. Then a couple more after.

3 weeks later
#1223 53 days ago
Quoted from Gamingrulin:

They are fixing node board issues they have been taking people used games and shipping them back to fix them! Just wait I am sure Stern will release a fix!

Did they ship yours back fixed? Last we were told is they still have no ideas on the issue. So how can they be “fixing” them?

#1231 53 days ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

ONE game is not "people(s) games."
I'd be pissed if I still had a RUSH LE (or Prem) and it was still burning up boards all the time, making a central feature of the $12,000 game unplayable. For those suffering this, it's been 24 months and counting. The fix is either not a Stern priority, or Stern Engineers are busy asking for their degree money back from DeVry because they're still lost finding an electronics solution to a problem they were allegedly educated to fix.

Exactly!

#1236 53 days ago
Quoted from Gamingrulin:

PinMonk Hey atleast a fix is on the way and I know who’s game that is getting worked on! Idk why you are still not believing me when I provided you with evidence from Stern pinball Inc. and they are going to release this fix! Only one game was sent and it was one that was routed so they could see what the issues were! This is a rare thing I don’t recall Stern taking a routed game back to get fixed!

Stern told us months ago they had a routed machine back and stated they fixed it and it’s back in route with no further issues. Of course they couldn’t say what that “fix” was just that it gets heavy play in location and has been fine.
Keep believing their “working on it” answers if you want but don’t be surprised if you are still waiting for the fix months down the road.

#1245 52 days ago
Quoted from darkchao:

We bought a Rush Premium for our brewery in Baltimore two months ago. It’s a great game, people love it, so we bought the Stern Expression Lights and Stern Factory Authorized Shaker Motor last week. Not more than 6 hours into operation and the Node 10 board failed. TMC5041 smoked up as described in this thread.
Thank you to those who are looking into a solution. If any testing needs to be done and we want to see how a new board / circuit / fix holds up in a public setting please reach out to me. I’ll be keeping a close eye on this thread.

Have you contacted Stern?

#1250 46 days ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Important question for anyone that had a node board fail: Is there any instance of NOT getting a node board 10 error when the board failed?

We usually get the node 10 error on startup and in the service menu when ours goes except for this last board. It blew 3 months ago and is still in the machine. Never got an error and still shows nothing on the service menu. Yet there is a burnt mark on the chip and the ramp/clock both died in the usual fashion.

1 month later
#1283 12 days ago
Quoted from Damagio:

I agree with you Jesterpester. Per my communication with Stern last week. They are still…yes STILL looking into the problem. They did an “experimental” fix on mine where my dealer came 3+ hours to my house and soldered the motors directly to the board. It lasted 80 plays. The response is…engineers are looking into it and we’ll let you know. When? Who knows. Obviously it is NOT just the connections. As this experiment failed AND as mbwalker notes, boards have failed with no motors connected. I am going to follow up with them tomorrow and weekly from here on out. At this point we all may need to put some pressure on Stern to take them back. They said that there are a dozen or so premiums that keep blowing boards. I find that hard to believe because there are probably many that have not done it yet but surely will in the future. I have been through 4 and the first was not until it had 900 plays on it. I feel your pain and I have only dealt with it half as long as you have.

At least you were able to get a dealer to come solder yours. They asked us to solder them ourselves knowing NOTHING about what soldering skills we have. I refused mostly because we KNOW it’s not a connection issue. They won’t move past them. Sorry it didn’t work on yours but it’s not surprising.

Quoted from XQJ-37:

I'm just going to put it right out there and say that they're *completely* full of shit.
There are over 5 DOZEN of us on this Pinside thread alone. That's not counting the buyers who aren't on Pinside, and more importantly, the operators who can't be assed enough to complain about the issue... they just stuff a racquetball under the ramp, empty the coinbox, windex the glass (if we're lucky) and move on. There's one of those fine specimens on location near me.
In January, Support told me that they had two of the "problem games" pulled back from the field, their engineers had them back in the lab, and they'd have a permanent fix announced shortly. Well, that was now just over three months ago, and it's looking more and more like their latest "fix" is to solder the motor leads directly to the Node 10 board!? Are you kidding me? They should have known over a year ago that the motor leads are not the problem.
I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to have to a) live with my "promium", b) sell the game at a severely reduced price (disclosing the issue to prospective buyers, because I'm not a complete and utter scumbag), and try to find a Pro, or a Premium/LE without the issue, or c) wait for the fine folks in the pinball hobbyist community to solve yet another one of Stern's cock-ups.
Since I absolutely love the band, and love this game... my money is on option "c".
I guess option "d" would be the Stern engineers getting their collective heads out of their collective asses, and it's looking more and more like that's never going to happen. It's a shame that Borg and team have this black stain on what would otherwise (IMO) go down in history as one of the GOAT games.
</rant>

I agree… they are full of it. They told me there were around 2500 premium and LE machines sold and only a dozen are having issues. There’s no way! I told them I wanted at least a refund on the $2000+ difference between the cost of pro vs premium because we have yet to enjoy the premium features we actually paid for. I don’t even care about the ramp working anymore. It does absolutely nothing for game play and there really is no reason for it to actually move. I at least want the clock working though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Roswell, GA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 229.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 275.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 16.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tatamy, PA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Pyramid Pinball & Arcade

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 8.00
Apparel - Unisex
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jesterpester.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rush-node-board-10-issues-and-non-issues-list?tu=jesterpester and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.