“Rush/Godzilla Node Board 10 issues and Non issues list”

• Rush LE/Premium with issues 67 votes
    35%
  • Rush LE/Premium no issues 120 votes
    63%
  • 2 votes
    1%
  • 0 votes

(Multiple choice - 189 votes by 188 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

not today.gif
old_gods_and_new.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
rmptst_02 (resized).png
rmptst_01 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #229 Node board #10 check Posted by Peak-Pin (1 year ago)

Post #231 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Peak-Pin (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aamauzy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 1 year ago

Premium model - failure at 985

Plays: 985
Serial: 338108C
Build Date: June 23, 2022
Balls Played: 1974
Power on Time: 1373 hours
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

1 week later
#113 1 year ago
2 weeks later
#275 1 year ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

At this point, it is absolutely ridiculous that Stern has not released a new code version that would at least allow the game to play with a bad Node 10 board! I cannot imagine it would be at all difficult to do. (Not a separate version for bad Node 10s, one that could handle a good Node 10 or a bad one.)

The game plays with a bad Node 10 in place - it just takes a while to boot because it searches for a while and gives a tech alert if you go into settings.

I've been playing mine near daily since December 22nd with the dead node still in place and connected. My ramp is unplugged and wedged up.

#325 1 year ago

Does anyone have a time stamp to George's comments about these issues in the recent stream? My replacement node is still on order, I wanted to follow up with my distro to see if my ticket with Stern will include whatever the new fix is that he references asking Stern for, or if we need to create a new ticket. I wanted to send him a timestamped link just in case he wasn't familiar with the interview/comments from George.

#328 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Will You or the First Person to see or receive the Stern Fix Please share it on this thread.

Absolutely - I've sent Greg @ FnO an email asking if he knows anything about the additional fix and if he can see about getting it attached to my ticket, I'll update here if/when I receive it or not.

#331 1 year ago

YTMND, many thanks.

Quoted from Ten31:

Sounds like you are going to have to prove you have the wrong pins....

One would think node boards that lit themselves on fire would be evidence enough, but you're probably not wrong.

#364 1 year ago

Sounds like George may have misunderstood the question, or jumped the gun a bit - he’s not over “support” so it makes sense to me that he may not be 100% in the loop.

Paraphrasing the response received from Stern regarding a motor fix IN ADDITION to my existing node replacement ticket, Greg at FnO said that Stern gave him a “we’re working on it - nothing permanent has been developed - stay tuned” as a response to Greg’s question about George’s comments.

2 weeks later
#428 1 year ago
Quoted from OSUBuckeye98:

Package arrived from Stern today, new node board and Time Machine ramp motor kit..so they are getting them out.
Couple of things, Pins in the connector look better. Zip ties still too tight to be able to slide them on the wire, I removed them but no crushing. Also, the part number for the ramp motor is different on the packing slip vs what is in the manual, maybe the changed something with the stepper motors?
[quoted image][quoted image]

I too received this package today! Interestingly, my new ramp motor doesn't have any zip ties, but it definitely has more appropriate pins

IMG_2719 (resized).JPGIMG_2719 (resized).JPG
IMG_2722 (resized).JPGIMG_2722 (resized).JPG
IMG_2723 (resized).JPGIMG_2723 (resized).JPG
IMG_2725 (resized).JPGIMG_2725 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#545 1 year ago
Quoted from aamauzy:

I too received this package today! Interestingly, my new ramp motor doesn't have any zip ties, but it definitely has more appropriate pins
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Welp - there goes Node 10 number 2! I had the new motor with the "fixed" pins as well.

Stern wanted the last one back, but if they don't I'll be shooting you a PM, ChrisHibler - you're just down the highway from me. I've actually got a couple games here that Chuck had you work on on behalf of Troy at Tilt, based on the tags on the MPUs. Unlike my RUSH, THEY don't try to light themselves on fire!

I'm no stranger to surface mount work, but I don't generally work on things that are quite as crispy.

IMG_2975 (resized).JPGIMG_2975 (resized).JPG

#549 1 year ago
Quoted from SterlingRush:

Just curious, so your new motor still had the connector midway, not straight wires to the board?
Sorry to hear chief

Right - I was in the early attempt at a fix with a motor that had a 4 pin connector that connected into the existing harness to the node. Based on what Ten31 just posted, it sounds like I was in the small window where they were sending replacement motors, but not motors with the entire wiring from motor to node. Womp Womp.

#553 1 year ago

I ran the situation past Greg at FnO (second popped board, potential third fix without the connector in the middle) - waiting on a response.

In the meantime, I had to upgrade my "gorilla tape and rough cut shim" wedge to keep my ramp up. Just played a 750 million point game with a ton of multiball action - it's rock solid!

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention - once installed, you'll likely need a piece of masking tape to bridge the gap between the tip of the ramp and the time machine, otherwise balls might hung up on the gap. Depends a bit on your playfield pitch and ramp/time machine positioning.

If anyone wants the file, it can be found here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5913092

1 week later
#567 1 year ago

I don’t know WHY I didn’t think of that shape/means of wedging when I made my wedge. Looks like it doesn’t even require disassembly of the ramp! That’s brilliant.

4 weeks later
#628 1 year ago
Quoted from Minnpin65:

Please, once you receive the package let us know what is in the box. I have asked others that have received the fix and I’ve had no response. Thanks!

Got my kit today along with the replacement for my blown node 10, contents in pics:

IMG_3330 (resized).JPGIMG_3330 (resized).JPG

IMG_3331 (resized).JPGIMG_3331 (resized).JPG

#636 1 year ago

New node and improved motor installed - so far so good, but it's only been a couple games

Wanted to note that my node did NOT arrive with the dip switches set. From left to right they should be off-on-off-off (down-up-down-down would be another way to look at it).

#644 1 year ago
Quoted from Animal:

Received my replacement node board and ramp motor. Everything was pretty straight forward:
1) updated code
2) installed node board and ramp motor.
Went into ramp menu and it said something about "disabled by adj." I think I had an option to enable and the ramp started working. Anyone know what "disabled by adj" means?
BTW, when you start a game, is the hour light on the clock on 5?
[quoted image]

You received the old motor - I wouldn't plug that into your new node 10!

5 months later
#857 6 months ago
Quoted from aamauzy:

Welp - there goes Node 10 number 2! I had the new motor with the "fixed" pins as well.
Stern wanted the last one back, but if they don't I'll be shooting you a PM, ChrisHibler - you're just down the highway from me. I've actually got a couple games here that Chuck had you work on on behalf of Troy at Tilt, based on the tags on the MPUs. Unlike my RUSH, THEY don't try to light themselves on fire!
I'm no stranger to surface mount work, but I don't generally work on things that are quite as crispy.
[quoted image]

I guess my cabinet decided it was a little too quiet around here! Little early for Halloween, but here's a fright for y'all: the Spring 2023 fix isn't the definitive fix.

Installed April of 2023 after the latest ramp motor fix was in place. Failed mid-game about a half hour ago. All connectors solid, no pinching. I'm now outside of my first year of ownership, so... this'll be interesting!

#860 6 months ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Yours looks just lightly toasted like mine was. Is your game reporting a bad node 10, or are the ramp and clock just not working? Mine behaved as if nothing was wrong, it just stopped moving the ramp and clock.
Hmmm.... sunspots?

It stopped working but didn't give me a tech alert until the game was rebooted. Upon reboot it failed to find a node 10. Same thing as the first two boards.

#864 6 months ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

That’s a bummer!! I just replaced the board but did the hardwire fix.
Took out the connectors in the middle.
So you had the motor wires running directly to the board?
Which means there is no hope??
Also do you remember what was happening during gameplay that could of caused it?
Is there anyway to tell manufacturer date build of these node board? Maybe they just have a faulty U1 chip?

Yep - I have the motor Stern sent out with the supposed proper connector and the cabling that runs directly from the motor to the node board.
I had just exited a multiball in which the ramp worked as expected. Plunked around a minute and hit a 1-2-3 combo. The ramp didn't lift for the combo, I opened my coindoor, and smelled the magic smoke.

I think at this point, the only fix is a redesigned board with appropriate protection.

Quoted from ChrisHibler:

aamauzy
That failure doesn’t look like it took the whole PCB out. That one might be repairable. Of course, without identifying the root cause, it is probable that the same failure will occur with the repaired board.

This one definitely wasn't as "spectacular" as others, but it does look to have cooked that heavier trace coming off of C9. If Stern tells me to kick rocks, I'll get in contact with you to take a closer look for sure. I can fumble my way through larger pitch surface mount ICs, but I haven't attempted anything this fine. You're absolutely right though - a repaired board will fail just the same, based on all of the evidence we have.

At this point, I probably won't plug in another node 10 beyond testing to see that it works unless Stern presents a redesigned board. That said - I do want to have a working board "just in case", preferably without coughing up $300 for a replacement that we all know will fail.

#866 6 months ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

So are there Rush premiums that have Thousands of plays and no board issue??
Hopefully yes,so some of us might have a chance.

I'd assume it's a case of "vocal minority" at this point. Owners only say something if their board dies, not if they've had no issues!

#871 6 months ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

I had a banzai run that would reset every time my window air conditioner would kick on.
Any chance your on a circuit that has something that draws a lot of power when turned on?
Also you have any mods installed,how long was the pin on before this happen?

No crazy draws on that circuit - I went through and flipped my panel of breakers to find the "big stuff" a couple years ago. Lightbulbs and my wife's PC (it was idling/not pulling crazy power) are on that circuit, that's about it.

Game was on for.... maybe 2 hours before it fried.

Only electrical mods are Stern parts - shaker, expression lights, and the topper. ELs and topper installed in June with dozens of plays and dozens of power on hours between install and the third board frying.

#884 6 months ago
Quoted from aamauzy:

I guess my cabinet decided it was a little too quiet around here! Little early for Halloween, but here's a fright for y'all: the Spring 2023 fix isn't the definitive fix.
Installed April of 2023 after the latest ramp motor fix was in place. Failed mid-game about a half hour ago. All connectors solid, no pinching. I'm now outside of my first year of ownership, so... this'll be interesting!
[quoted image]

Just to follow up - Stern is replacing this board despite the game being over a year and a half old. Not sure if this is Stern's way of saying "we know there is still an issue", or if this was Greg at Flip N Out's excellent customer service pushing through an out-of-warranty repair. Either way, I'm being taken care of and I really appreciate it!

When I receive the new board, I'm going to test it to make sure it works and promptly unplug it until Stern does aboard revision or until I just "HAVE" to have a working ramp/clock.

2 months later
#928 3 months ago
Quoted from Jesterpester:

Thanks for the info, I will have to take a look. Aside from the node 10 issue, I have only had one other weird issue with the machine that Stern brushed off. I’m not convinced it’s not related to the node issue. Just above the power supply there was a bunch of black dust. Looked like it came out of the fan and was enough to cover the translite to the point it was noticeably dirty when it was lit. It wasn’t from the rubber rings as I swapped all those out right away. I swiped my finger through the dust and touched it with a magnet and it stuck. Asked Stern and was told “no idea” and that I must just have it in a dusty location (it’s in my living room and the dust is only inside the back box). I cleaned it off and it never returned. I think it came from a capacitor. I asked Stern a handful of times if it could possibly be related and still told it shouldn’t be.
I’m going to look through that thread and see what I can find. Appreciate the info! [quoted image][quoted image]

Magnetic dust with that placement kinda sounds like the fan failed and started eating itself. Does the fan on that PSU still work? I’ve had similar magnetic dust appear in datacenter equipment when a fan fails or just gets really old. If the dust is magnetic, it will conduct electricity and eventually cause havoc to whatever it coats.

1 week later
#979 3 months ago

The fact that we're at the point the end-users are going to support for the individual ICs on the board, rather than hearing anything from Stern, is disappointing.

I'd be fired if people were so upset with the platforms I own for my employer that they were having to go around me to get support from the vendor.

Good luck and thanks for sharing with the community!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 8.00
Apparel - Unisex
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 35.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Pyramid Pinball & Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lermods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 275.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

$ 229.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

10,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tatamy, PA
11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Roswell, GA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aamauzy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rush-node-board-10-issues-and-non-issues-list?tu=aamauzy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.