“Rush/Godzilla Node Board 10 issues and Non issues list”

• Rush LE/Premium with issues 65 votes
    35%
  • Rush LE/Premium no issues 120 votes
    65%
  • 1 vote
    1%
  • 0 votes

(Multiple choice - 186 votes by 185 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image000000 (resized).jpeg
engineering progress.gif
IMG_1522 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
34y96l (resized).jpg
limpet (resized).jpg
EB46BBA7-A111-4627-A345-2524EFDEEE46 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,255 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 26.
#551 1 year ago

Feel like U1 on this board should be labeled U lost? Got just a node board for mine a few days ago from my distributor. It's not going in until I get this new and/or improved motor. I contacted Stern directly. Stern asked for pictures. I sent them and I'm now waiting to hear back. Seems like this is moving in the right direction. I feel bad for everyone that's been having this for much longer. I honestly just waited for better information. Sucked waiting, but hopefully just this one repair does it. Thanks to all of you that have been posting updates.

#552 1 year ago

Stern confirmed I am being sent a new motor with a cable that goes directly to the node board. I'm pretty excited for the regulars that enjoy this game. They we'll be surprised and happily so. This game is a favorite to many players.

#553 1 year ago

I ran the situation past Greg at FnO (second popped board, potential third fix without the connector in the middle) - waiting on a response.

In the meantime, I had to upgrade my "gorilla tape and rough cut shim" wedge to keep my ramp up. Just played a 750 million point game with a ton of multiball action - it's rock solid!

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention - once installed, you'll likely need a piece of masking tape to bridge the gap between the tip of the ramp and the time machine, otherwise balls might hung up on the gap. Depends a bit on your playfield pitch and ramp/time machine positioning.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

If anyone wants the file, it can be found here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5913092

#554 1 year ago

So I bought my LE used - had less than 100 plays but I'm the 3rd owner. So I have to track down the original distributor? Or can I contact the one I use to handle communicating with Stern?

I haven't blown my node board but it sounds like it's only a matter of time. Trying to figure out the best steps to prevent failure.

#555 1 year ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

So I bought my LE used - had less than 100 plays but I'm the 3rd owner. So I have to track down the original distributor? Or can I contact the one I use to handle communicating with Stern?
I haven't blown my node board but it sounds like it's only a matter of time. Trying to figure out the best steps to prevent failure.

ask your Distro and see what He says.

#556 1 year ago

Happy to report game has been playing excellent, the new ramp motor with direct connection to the Node board is the answer!!!! The ramp sure is an important part of the game. Excellent pinball machine !!!

#557 1 year ago
Quoted from MJK-911:

Happy to report game has been playing excellent, the new ramp motor with direct connection to the Node board is the answer!!!! The ramp sure is an important part of the game. Excellent pinball machine !!!

Great to hear! Is this Sterns new fix? Replacing all three?

#558 12 months ago

Exasperating!

A box arrived from my distributor, and I just went from "Oh boy, I can fix my Rush!" to "WTF?!" in record time.

What was in the box? Just a ramp motor, one still with short leads! The connector does look better, and the zip ties are not insanely tight. But a fat lot of good another motor does me without a new node board!

And I saw how they were sending out long lead motors now, so I can only presume this short-lead motor kit was being sent to all Premium and LE owners preemptively. But this was just mailed the 17th... weird.

Also, it recently occurred to me that before my node board went bad (while somehow oddly maintaining its communication to the CPU so that the game has no startup complaints), my clock never did align to 12 o'clock correctly, and I had fiddled with the settings trying to get it to do so, with no success. I wonder if possibly it could have been the settings I left it at that resulted in a slow burn to my node board and perhaps it wasn't the ramp motor's fault at all? The original ramp motor does still measure 9 ohms on each side at the node board connector...

Just in case, could someone please tell me what the original clock settings were, for when I do get a node board?

#559 12 months ago

I just heard from my distributor that Stern is sending out a new motor with the node 10 board. This will be my third node 10 board. I hope it’s my last! I did remove all the zip ties and found no damage severe enough to cause a short. Considered for a moment that the light bulb over the stepper motor could be making electrical contact so I added extra insulation there…. I love this game and would like to go back to playing it without the ramp zip tied in the up position.

#560 12 months ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Exasperating!
A box arrived from my distributor, and I just went from "Oh boy, I can fix my Rush!" to "WTF?!" in record time.
What was in the box? Just a ramp motor, one still with short leads! The connector does look better, and the zip ties are not insanely tight. But a fat lot of good another motor does me without a new node board!
And I saw how they were sending out long lead motors now, so I can only presume this short-lead motor kit was being sent to all Premium and LE owners preemptively. But this was just mailed the 17th... weird.
Also, it recently occurred to me that before my node board went bad (while somehow oddly maintaining its communication to the CPU so that the game has no startup complaints), my clock never did align to 12 o'clock correctly, and I had fiddled with the settings trying to get it to do so, with no success. I wonder if possibly it could have been the settings I left it at that resulted in a slow burn to my node board and perhaps it wasn't the ramp motor's fault at all? The original ramp motor does still measure 9 ohms on each side at the node board connector...
Just in case, could someone please tell me what the original clock settings were, for when I do get a node board?

The 'original' clock settings are usually showing a bias setting at 0, this could possibly align the finger hand at 12 o'clock or not, it depends on a few various factors.

The production line didn't seem to bother making the adjustments to align the motor prior to shipment as there are lots out there that are not referenced correctly.

You'll have to make a correction using the bias function in the settings menu and save it to re-align the clock hand.

Can't believe that altering the bias setting would fry the board.

#561 12 months ago
Quoted from ian866:

You'll have to make a correction using the bias function in the settings menu and save it to re-align the clock hand.

I thought that was what I was doing, but nothing seemed to make any difference. Has anyone adjusted it successfully?

#562 12 months ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I thought that was what I was doing, but nothing seemed to make any difference. Has anyone adjusted it successfully?

Yes

#563 12 months ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-rush-owners-club-1/page/190#post-7139356

This should help.

Make sure when making the adjustment you are at M0, this is the reference point for zeroing the clock hand( 12 o'clock ). All the other points on the clock will then align to this point.

Bias options cannot be saved for each position, only the reference point.

#564 12 months ago

I saw someone mention receiving a stepper motor in the mail from a distributer. Same thing happened for me. Just a stepper motor with the original square plug that goes into a connector instead of straight to the board. Replacement directions are dated February 14, 2023. Has anyone actually received a later revision that has the wiring that is longer and goes directly to the node 10 board? I thought maybe the motor had a different current draw but it is exactly the same part number and marked .67A
I was thinking about doing the straight through solder mod to delete the connector and cutting the wire ties, but I do not see any upside in just changing out the motor???

#565 12 months ago

Just spoke to Stern Tech support. He says hold tight, a revision of the revision is coming that is a stepper motor that has the connector connecting directly to the node 10 board.

#566 12 months ago
Quoted from OGpinballdeals:

Just spoke to Stern Tech support. He says hold tight, a revision of the revision is coming that is a stepper motor that has the connector connecting directly to the node 10 board.

I have a similar issue, and a temporary fix if you don't want to use the super cool ramp fix 3d printed in the above post... Stern support told me they are waiting on the new stepper motor with the direct connect to the node 10 board. They are sending a replacement node10 board and a new stepper motor once they are in stock. My ramp was "possessed" as it would be up when it should be down, and would dance up and down at startup trying to find a cup of coffee or something I guess. I decided to bypass the ramp by making a wood support that holds the ramp up all the time. There are two connectors to disconnect the stepper motor from the node 10 board. I asked Stern support if this was cool, and he said, "Absolutely, you basically have converted the premium ramp to a "pro" ramp setup." Game is very playable, and everything works as it should... Only difference is if ramp should be down (it's not obviously), ball passes through the time machine with no grab. Very playable while I wait for parts! Thought my mod might help someone.

Cheers,

-Scott
Rampstick (resized).jpgRampstick (resized).jpg

#567 12 months ago

I don’t know WHY I didn’t think of that shape/means of wedging when I made my wedge. Looks like it doesn’t even require disassembly of the ramp! That’s brilliant.

#568 12 months ago
Quoted from aamauzy:

I don’t know WHY I didn’t think of that shape/means of wedging when I made my wedge. Looks like it doesn’t even require disassembly of the ramp! That’s brilliant.

Ha! I Love your design! I just don't have a means to make one, so I grabbed a piece of scrap wood and shaped it on the bandsaw real quick... Got lucky! Hopefully this lasts long enough till the new motor & board comes in, but seems to work so far! I did like not disassembling the ramp.. Been through that to put the new rubber bumpers in there. gah! Cheers mate!

#569 12 months ago

I simply jammed a rubber ball under the ramp, and it made it easy to adjust the ramp height. Too low and the ball would hop and hit the top of the TM tunnel and bounce back, too high and it would get hung up on the lip all the time.

#570 11 months ago

First off, I really appreciate this thread and have learned a lot.

Second, even after reading a lot on this thread, I still have a couple questions:

1. I am still confused on what I have to do if my board fails (as mine did a little while ago). I propped up the ramp but do i also need to disconnect the time machine and the drum? If yes, where are those connections located?
2. I gather that if I only replace the board, it will probably blow that board as well because the underlying issue (ie. wire kinking) will still be there. Is this correct?
2. Are most people waiting for a stern fix until they replace the board, wire clamps, etc.?

Thanks and apologies for all the questions. I genuinely tried to answer these questions myself.

#571 11 months ago
Quoted from DwightEisenhower:

First off, I really appreciate this thread and have learned a lot.
Second, even after reading a lot on this thread, I still have a couple questions:
1. I am still confused on what I have to do if my board fails (as mine did a little while ago). I propped up the ramp but do i also need to disconnect the time machine and the drum? If yes, where are those connections located?
2. I gather that if I only replace the board, it will probably blow that board as well because the underlying issue (ie. wire kinking) will still be there. Is this correct?
2. Are most people waiting for a stern fix until they replace the board, wire clamps, etc.?
Thanks and apologies for all the questions. I genuinely tried to answer these questions myself.

Contact Stern asap get the replacement hopefully whatever is up to date fix.

#572 11 months ago

Anyone receive the latest fix ? Is it Happening or are we just making 2000 dollar Toppers.

#573 11 months ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Anyone receive the latest fix ? Is it Happening or are we just making 2000 dollar Toppers.

Drama queen, only $1699,

#574 11 months ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Drama queen, only $1699,

only a sucker would buy one,where do we order.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#575 11 months ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Drama queen, only $1699,

I think the power cord will be sold as an accessory for 250 more

#576 11 months ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

I think the power cord will be sold as an accessory for 250 more

I forgot to ask when I ordered

#577 11 months ago

Stern is still waiting on more parts and then will send out the final/final motor fix to those on the waitlist. This is what Stern customer support told me as of 24 hours ago.

#578 11 months ago
Quoted from gandamack:

Stern is still waiting on more parts and then will send out the final/final motor fix to those on the waitlist. This is what Stern customer support told me as of 24 hours ago.

Are you back in?

#579 11 months ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

they have to pay for all of the replacement boards somehow.

#580 11 months ago

They should be offering toppers at cost to anyone experiencing faults which have still yet to be resolved as a good will gesture !!

( Tin hat time )

#581 11 months ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Are you back in?

I wish.... just trying to help out a guy with a Rush Prem.

#582 11 months ago
Quoted from ian866:

They should be offering toppers at cost to anyone experiencing faults which have still yet to be resolved as a good will gesture !!
( Tin hat time )

I think you would see this first:

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
#583 11 months ago
Quoted from gjm:

I think you would see this first:
[quoted image]

Pink Floyd pin, excellent !!

#584 11 months ago
Quoted from ian866:

( Tin hat time )

I asked Stern about possibly getting a discount on the topper due to the Node 10 issues and was denied. Didn’t think it hurt to ask.
We’re waiting on our 5th Node 10 board.

#585 11 months ago
Quoted from Jesterpester:

I asked Stern about possibly getting a discount on the topper due to the Node 10 issues and was denied. Didn’t think it hurt to ask.
We’re waiting on our 6th Node 10 board.

I really don't know how to respond to that comment, hope you get it sorted. If you need any advice when you get the parts there is plenty to be had here, just shout.

#586 11 months ago

We’re waiting on our 6th Node 10 board.

Can You maybe walk us through the 1st 5 attempts.Like 1st time Changed board only next try ?My sympathies to You what a Pain.

#587 11 months ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Can You maybe walk us through the 1st 5 attempts.Like 1st time Changed board only next try ?My sympathies to You what a Pain.

Let me start by saying this is our very first pinball machine so this is all very new to us. We have learned a lot but I’m still hesitant to dive in and try to self diagnose/fix and have been relying on Stern mostly. Probably a huge mistake but they have been quite helpful and responsive in trying to resolve and keep us up to date on what they are doing on their end to figure out this issue. Frustrating to say the least but I feel like they are working on figuring out the cause and eventually will figure it out finally.
I may have miscounted after going back through my back and forth with Stern and its 5th, not 6th. Feels like a hundred. Machine arrived late August and the original board failed mid-September. Stern sent a replacement board which failed 2 weeks later. Couldn’t find anything wrong with the exception of the way over tightened zip ties on the motor wiring, which I think began the whole looking at the zip ties theory. Stern sent new board and new motor which failed after 2 games. Stern again sent new motor/board with supposedly redone pins. Board failed again. Crimps on the pins apparently were still not done correctly according to Stern after they looked at pictures. So now we are waiting for the latest motor with the wires going directly to the board without the connector involved. Not convinced that will be the end of this issue but hopefully. My husband is an electronics engineer although not usually dealing with boards etc but he is convinced the issue is with the design of the board itself.
It’s frustrating as like I said this is our first machine. We’ve talked about owning a home pin for nearly 30 years because back when we were dating, we spent a lot of our dates playing pinball. Great memories! We were never settled enough to buy one. Decided this year we were in a good position to finally buy one. We each had milestone birthdays last year and thought it was the perfect gift to ourselves and took the plunge. Wanted to buy the Creature machine as it was what we spent so many dates playing and always wanted to own. Distributor thought a NIB machine would be better for us as it would be less maintenance over a used machine. Haha. So now here we are with this fantastic machine with nothing but issues since it arrived.

#588 11 months ago

Let me start by saying this is our very first pinball machine so this is all very new to us. We have learned a lot but I’m still hesitant to dive in and try to self diagnose/fix and have been relying on Stern mostly. Probably a huge mistake but they have been quite helpful and responsive in trying to resolve and keep us up to date on what they are doing on their end to figure out this issue. Frustrating to say the least but I feel like they are working on figuring out the cause and eventually will figure it out finally.
I may have miscounted after going back through my back and forth with Stern and its 5th, not 6th. Feels like a hundred. Machine arrived late August and the original board failed mid-September. Stern sent a replacement board which failed 2 weeks later. Couldn’t find anything wrong with the exception of the way over tightened zip ties on the motor wiring, which I think began the whole looking at the zip ties theory. Stern sent new board and new motor which failed after 2 games. Stern again sent new motor/board with supposedly redone pins. Board failed again. Crimps on the pins apparently were still not done correctly according to Stern after they looked at pictures. So now we are waiting for the latest motor with the wires going directly to the board without the connector involved. Not convinced that will be the end of this issue but hopefully. My husband is an electronics engineer although not usually dealing with boards etc but he is convinced the issue is with the design of the board itself.
It’s frustrating as like I said this is our first machine. We’ve talked about owning a home pin for nearly 30 years because back when we were dating, we spent a lot of our dates playing pinball. Great memories! We were never settled enough to buy one. Decided this year we were in a good position to finally buy one. We each had milestone birthdays last year and thought it was the perfect gift to ourselves and took the plunge. Wanted to buy the Creature machine as it was what we spent so many dates playing and always wanted to own. Distributor thought a NIB machine would be better for us as it would be less maintenance over a used machine. Haha. So now here we are with this fantastic machine with nothing but issues since it arrived.

Thank You for sharing.I really Hope Stern takes care of You and I mean a little more than just a new Board as You have
not had the best experience with what I think is one of the best machines available.If I were Your Distributor/Stern I might give You a loaner Machine until this is resolved.

#589 11 months ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Thank You for sharing.I really Hope Stern takes care of You and I mean a little more than just a new Board as You have
not had the best experience with what I think is one of the best machines available.If I were Your Distributor/Stern I might give You a loaner Machine until this is resolved.

Stern has been great. Distributor has been MIA through all this. What little response I have gotten from them has been less than helpful. Hoping to add another machine in the near future and it will for sure NOT be through them.

#590 11 months ago

Stern has been great. Distributor has been MIA through all this. What little response I have gotten from them has been less than helpful. Hoping to add another machine in the near future and it will for sure NOT be through them.

Buy as close to local as you can, it's worth the few hundred you might save by buying from someone who knows they will never see you for maintenance

#591 11 months ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Buy as close to local as you can, it's worth the few hundred you might save by buying from someone who knows they will never see you for maintenance

exactly,Im still waiting on side art promised to me By an Arizona distro over a year ago.
Im second to own but bought with the agreement it was ordered and I would get it.

#592 11 months ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

We did. Closest we could find but still 3 hours away.

#593 11 months ago

I bought Rush Premium NIB from a local friend. He had ordered it but was able to find a couple highly sough-after titles in the mean time and needed to sell it upon arrival. So, he's been dealing with the distributor and Stern.

He contacted Stern on Tuesday (3 days ago) and related "My contact basically reiterated the results from the thread - 'new motor, new board, backordered' "

#594 11 months ago

We did. Closest we could find but still 3 hours away.

Where are you located, maybe some one on here is local and can help ?

#595 11 months ago
Quoted from ian866:

Where are you located, maybe some one on here is local and can help ?

We’re pretty remote so 2-3 hours away is the norm for anything. It’s all good though. I’m learning tons so far regarding maintenance and troubleshooting and it’s actually become quite a fun little hobby for me which I wasn’t really expecting. Definitely has become less intimidating to me. Have already replaced coil stops, replaced all the black rubber, ninjacamp scoop fix, installed a shaker motor, etc and unfortunately getting to be a pro at swapping out the node board and ramp motor. Just ordered the expression lights so will get to install them and planning on ordering the Pinwoofer kit hopefully soon. The machine is playable for now with the ramp disabled and will just wait for Stern to get the motors in stock and give it another try with fingers and toes crossed. Not sure there is anything else we can really do at this point. And hey… if I can score over a billion without a working ramp I can’t wait to see how well it plays with a working ramp.

#596 11 months ago

And hey… if I can score over a billion without a working ramp I can’t wait to see how well it plays with a working ramp.

I felt sorry for you until I read this. Welcome to pinball ownership. If only you had chose the pro. ha ha.
A great first pin and if you can survive this you are ready for anything.

#597 11 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I felt sorry for you until I read this. Welcome to pinball ownership. If only you had chose the pro. ha ha.
A great first pin and if you can survive this you are ready for anything.

The Ramp on the pro dont work either

#598 11 months ago
Quoted from Vespula:

I felt sorry for you until I read this. Welcome to pinball ownership. A great first pin and if you can survive this you are ready for anything.

Haha, not giving up just yet. It’s a pretty awesome game and despite all the issues with the node 10 we have no regrets.

#599 11 months ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

The Ramp on the pro dont work either

No tennis ball required!

#600 11 months ago

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People
Toys/Add-ons
$ 8.00
Apparel - Unisex
arcade-cabinets.com
Unisex
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
NinjaCamp Mods
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Portland, OR
Lighting - Led
Gameroom Mods
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods
Sound/Speakers
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Hardware
Pinball Haven
Hardware
$ 35.00
Rubber/Silicone
NinjaCamp Mods
Rubber/Silicone
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 210.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
9,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auburn, NH
$ 154.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Life
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Other
WilliPinball Mods
Other
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,255 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 26.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rush-node-board-10-issues-and-non-issues-list/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.