Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 176 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Kez11
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231204_211532 (resized).jpg
    3D5D457E-15A0-4792-816B-D1EE51601FFF (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5070 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5069 (resized).jpeg
    20220420_204333 (resized).jpg
    C46418AB-8942-437F-BBF7-79C5F1440F4F.jpeg
    C21EE044-0474-4F49-9D86-0F4F98AE5BCF.jpeg
    6DA29192-000F-437F-89B6-03EEA98DA421 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    RUSH scoop debacle (resized).jpg
    White duck tape (resized).jpeg
    Plastic cliffy (resized).jpg
    C16A3E96-DE18-4067-92E0-0967DC20BDB5 (resized).jpeg
    D7486A33-36B4-42C2-91CD-2F83A4904873 (resized).jpeg
    D441862E-A5FF-4BB3-8167-64EEEA08CE40 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider indypinhead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

This whole thing is ridiculous. My scoop chipped bad with the protector on under 100 plays. They told me to put the protector back on which would mean I'd have to drive 40 miles every day to bend it back. Ridiculous. I've got mylar on it now hoping it will help it from getting worse. The best part is Stern is saying removing the faulty protector voids the warranty. Such bullshit.
    [quoted image]

That is total bullsh!t. I guess Stern is in a big hurry for funds. It's obvious, they didn't play test this pin. The mechanical engineer totally dropped the ball on this scoop cut-out. A "Cliffy" needs complete contact with surfaces in order to perform well. Why in the hell did Stern put a chamfer/stepped cut on that opening? I think the only way to fix this problem correctly would be a combo Mantis style protector from the underside, with thicker gauge stainless, providing protection on 3 sides of the cut-out. This protection would project up to the playfield surface, eliminating the step. Before this "Mantis" style protection, a "Cliffy would need to be installed. The "Mantis" would slide inside the installed Cliffy. The problem I see with that fix is...#1 the scoop cut-out appears to be pretty narrow, (I'm not sure there would be enough clearance for the stack-up of additional materials for the "Mantis" & Cliffy combo. #2, in order to mount a Mantis style protector....you're going to have problems mounting it to the underside of the playfield due to the mounting bracket on the scoop shot mounting bracket.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from apessino:

Seems like a great fix - no new "complex" part to design/test/produce, just two flat metal prongs that can be easily fabricated on site, completely addresses the issue of the ball warping and then destroying the sides of the protector, and it does not make the already narrow hole even narrower.
    Pretty clever, actually... I think it'll do the job.

I haven't played the pin yet, but the new design looks like it inhibit side roll-ins in the scoop, (which might be a good thing). The new design looks like it will require a straight in shot from the flippers now.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from indypinhead:

I haven't played the pin yet, but the new design looks like it might inhibit side roll-ins in the scoop, (which might be a good thing). The new design looks like it will require a straight in shot from the flippers now.

3 weeks later
    #68 2 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

As I posted before its actually the same size scoop as Metallica, that's Mantis' Metallica scoop protector in place:
    [quoted image][quoted image]

I bought one of those, in hopes that it will work.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider indypinhead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rush-aftermarket-metal-scoop-protectors-?tu=indypinhead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.