Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 176 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Kez11
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231204_211532 (resized).jpg
    3D5D457E-15A0-4792-816B-D1EE51601FFF (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5070 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5069 (resized).jpeg
    20220420_204333 (resized).jpg
    C46418AB-8942-437F-BBF7-79C5F1440F4F.jpeg
    C21EE044-0474-4F49-9D86-0F4F98AE5BCF.jpeg
    6DA29192-000F-437F-89B6-03EEA98DA421 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    RUSH scoop debacle (resized).jpg
    White duck tape (resized).jpeg
    Plastic cliffy (resized).jpg
    C16A3E96-DE18-4067-92E0-0967DC20BDB5 (resized).jpeg
    D7486A33-36B4-42C2-91CD-2F83A4904873 (resized).jpeg
    D441862E-A5FF-4BB3-8167-64EEEA08CE40 (resized).jpeg
    There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 2 years ago

I heard that Stern is going to release a Tron VE to make up for this and it'll be available this year with no wait time after purchase.

#102 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bangback:

The top of the protector looks like a Cliffy, but the inside of the hole looks like a Mantis. Best of both worlds?

You would have to post a pic of it, but if it has thin metal covering the perimeter of the hole, you can expect that to get peened into the filleted shape of the hole edge.

#103 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bangback:

Hopefully someone comes up with a good solution.

I have a cliffy on order... pondered getting a mantis as well. See if one allows shots better. I get some decent rejects.

#104 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Let's just say my name starts out miff

Let's be thankful it doesn't start out Clantis! We could call it Dunder Mifflen, but that's already taken for sure.

#105 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bangback:

The top of the protector looks like a Cliffy, but the inside of the hole looks like a Mantis. Best of both worlds?

I'm not sure I know what you mean.. the protector wraps around the edge in spots (as most cliffy's do for mounting)... I don't recall any metal ring around the PF cutout.

#106 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm not sure I know what you mean.. the protector wraps around the edge in spots (as most cliffy's do for mounting)... I don't recall any metal ring around the PF cutout.

This is from my MBrLE. There’s an outer cliffy style protector and also an inner mantis style protector. But yeah I’m beginning to see some pounding on the outer part.

D441862E-A5FF-4BB3-8167-64EEEA08CE40 (resized).jpegD441862E-A5FF-4BB3-8167-64EEEA08CE40 (resized).jpeg
    #107 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bangback:

This is from my MBrLE. There’s an outer cliffy style protector and also an inner mantis style protector. But yeah I’m beginning to see some pounding on the outer part

You're right, it does look like a Mantis-style protector in there. Like I said before, if you have a properly set Mantis, there is no need for a Cliffy-style on the edge, so says my MB. I guess it might make you feel better with the additional protection, but it will also detract from the beauty as it inevitably becomes dented/dimpled over time.

#108 2 years ago
    Quoted from sudsy7:

You're right, it does look like a Mantis-style protector in there. Like I said before, if you have a properly set Mantis, there is no need for a Cliffy-style on the edge, so says my MB. I guess it might make you feel better with the additional protection, but it will also detract from the beauty as it inevitably becomes dented/dimpled over time.

I agree with you as I have other games with just a Mantis only protector and they have been fine. This is just how my game came from Chicago Gaming.

#109 2 years ago

Cliffy is testing! https://www.passionforpinball.com/wip.htm

"Rush scoops, vuk, target bank and ejects in PLAY TEST now. Email me at [email protected] to get in the wait list. Play testing as of 3/15/22!"

#110 2 years ago
    Quoted from Animal:

Cliffy is testing! https://www.passionforpinball.com/wip.htm
    "Rush scoops, vuk, target bank and ejects in PLAY TEST now. Email me at [email protected] to get in the wait list. Play testing as of 3/15/22!"

Thanks for the heads up!!! Got on the list.

#111 2 years ago
    Quoted from ian866:

No comment !?
    [quoted image]

Here’s my opinion on this.
    What I think they should do from the start, is take about a 1/3 of that blue rubber off
    So it’s sitting back more and sturdier but I’m wondering if they are trying to use that rubber to prevent corners from bending up?
    Is that what is going on?

#112 2 years ago

I had no idea about any of this, but happened to play it on location today and was so dumbfounded by what I saw that I took a video (stills here). Pretty wild.

C16A3E96-DE18-4067-92E0-0967DC20BDB5 (resized).jpegC16A3E96-DE18-4067-92E0-0967DC20BDB5 (resized).jpegD7486A33-36B4-42C2-91CD-2F83A4904873 (resized).jpegD7486A33-36B4-42C2-91CD-2F83A4904873 (resized).jpeg
    #113 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Not a fan of Stern's V3 scoop fix. #1 it is fugly! #2 it blocks the scoop shot and makes the shot super tight. The upper cliffy is still going to get slaaaaaamed! If only Stern would have used Mantis protectors from day one? Wonder how many replacement pf's are being sent out for this faux pau. If I had a RUSH with a mangled pf I would not be a happy camper.
    -Also the guys in the RUSH thread-please stop stating that mylar is a good fix and works well-total band-aid solution and has me shaking my head.
    [quoted image]

That looks like something out of a horror thread...

I choose to believe its a stopgap they're sending out to buy time until they come up with a solution that actually holds up. I don't want to be convinced otherwise.

#114 2 years ago

Im waiting for my Rush game to arrive and then I plan on measuring up the hole. ive done a decent amount of sourcing of deep drawn stainless parts over the years. I believe a proper deep drawn stainless part with appropriate radiuses on both the "brim" of the hat as well as having a full perimeter drawn section into the playfield hole may prevent a lot of the warping. The current designs are just a series of ears dropping into the play field. as a result these don't add to the stiffness of the plate section.

#115 2 years ago
    Quoted from BradAlbright:

I had no idea about any of this, but happened to play it on location today and was so dumbfounded by what I saw that I took a video (stills here). Pretty wild.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Ya - my pro is getting like this. Ball gets stuck.

Not sure what to do - fix seems slow to come from Stern.

#116 2 years ago
    Quoted from kool1:

Ya - my pro is getting like this. Ball gets stuck.
    Not sure what to do - fix seems slow to come from Stern.

I'd get on the list for a Cliffy. He is very reasonable with his prices and you will most likely get it before Stern has a solution.

#117 2 years ago
    Quoted from Monk:

I'd get on the list for a Cliffy. He is very reasonable with his prices and you will most likely get it before Stern has a solution.

Yeah but Cliffy is in the process of testing right now and he posted that he's not happy with how his front scoop protector is holding up.

https://passionforpinball.com/wip.htm

#118 2 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

he's not happy with how his front scoop protector is holding up.

I like how honest Cliffy is and that he stated the fact on the product's information page. I knew this debacle was not going to be an easy fix. Both scoops get slaaaaamed and Mantis may be our only hope.

Need a Miffy like yesterday, at least I am not hot to trot for RUSH anymore and am looking forward to see what Gomez does with the 007 theme. Hoping they will do extensive beta testing this time around.

-Hey Miffy your so fine you blow my mind-Hey Miffy! Hey Miffy!

#119 2 years ago

For those of you who are not aware, a new scoop protector is available from Aniraf and is called the TPU or Ninjacamp. It is made from polyurethane and preliminary testing is very promising. It's in production (with many sales already) and so there will be plenty of real world test data soon.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-rush-owners-club-1/page/60#post-6833224

#120 2 years ago
    Quoted from sudsy7:

a new scoop protector

It does look interesting but it also looks like it does not lay completely flat? Not sure how thin you can get with plastic without breaking? Does the height affect the ball travel at all? How many plays do they think they will hold up for?

Who would have ever thought-a plastic miffy?

Plastic cliffy (resized).jpgPlastic cliffy (resized).jpg

#121 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

It does look interesting but it also looks like it does not lay completely flat? Not sure how thin you can get with plastic without breaking? Does the height affect the ball travel at all? How many plays do they think they will hold up for?

Don’t remember which thread I saw the dude posting in, but it is that 3d printed plastic stuff. He has videos of him hitting it with a hammer and crumpling it up in his hand, etc. Its not gonna break. Not in love with the way it looks, but it may be at the very least a decent temp fix.

Edit: just noticed the guy above mentioned both the thread and link to it.

#122 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I asked him about it laying flat and he says it absolutely lays flat - the picture is deceiving. All your questions will be answered by fellow pinsiders soon as these are shipping right now.

It's not a Miffy - there's nothing about this that resembles a Mantis. It is a plastic Cliffy though.

#123 2 years ago

Looks great to me, mine should be here in a day or two, but I'm on cliffy list as well , to be safe.

#124 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

mine should be here in a day or two

Nice-give us the review and I really hope they work.

If all else fails there is always Duck Tape-it fixes everything (;

RUSH scoop debacle (resized).jpgRUSH scoop debacle (resized).jpgWhite duck tape (resized).jpegWhite duck tape (resized).jpeg
    #125 2 years ago

Mantis is available now. I like the Ninja better.
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#126 2 years ago
    Quoted from sudsy7:

[quoted image]

Now we’re talking!

#127 2 years ago

Does this mantis version fit the pro model cause the pro model doesn’t have that large metal plate that the LE/prem seem to have?

#128 2 years ago
    Quoted from sudsy7:

[quoted image]

Where’s the protection for the top ?

#129 2 years ago
    Quoted from J-drum11:

Mantis doesn’t protect the top explicitly. The internal protection prevents top damage.

#130 2 years ago
    Quoted from J-drum11:

Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Mantis doesn’t protect the top explicitly. The internal protection prevents top damage.

Yes, the thick, hard liner provides a top "rail" that that ball makes contact with instead of the wooden edge of the scoop hole. As long as the ball cannot hit the edge of the hole, no damage will occur.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #131 2 years ago
    Quoted from J-drum11:

Mantis mentions in his PS thread he's working on the upper scoop protector.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-mantis-parts-available-1#post-6853828

#132 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

Does this mantis version fit the pro model cause the pro model doesn’t have that large metal plate that the LE/prem seem to have?

That's a good question. ???

#133 2 years ago
    Quoted from sudsy7:

Yes, the thick, hard liner provides a top "rail" that that ball makes contact with instead of the wooden edge of the scoop hole. As long as the ball cannot hit the edge of the hole, no damage will occur.[quoted image]

My MET Mantis doesn’t come up that far, but you can see that it’s done it’s job over the past 9 years (ignore the wax residue inside the scoop). It comes right up to where the bevel starts.

6DA29192-000F-437F-89B6-03EEA98DA421 (resized).jpeg6DA29192-000F-437F-89B6-03EEA98DA421 (resized).jpeg

#134 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

My MET Mantis doesn’t come up that far, but you can see that it’s done it’s job over the past 9 years (ignore the wax residue inside the scoop). It comes right up to where the bevel starts.

I have a MET, too. Mine has a Cliffy. However, mine also has a playfield protector on it just like yours. I think the playfield protector guards the edge of the hole. If the ball can't hit the edge, it can't damage it. I do see a minor chip on the right edge of yours. A lot of times the hole will get wallered out when the ball is ejected from the scoop, and the Mantis is a great barrier to that kind of beating. I've seen some MB scoops you could almost put a billiard ball in.

For God's sake, wipe that gob of wax off there. What are you - an animal?

#135 2 years ago
    Quoted from sudsy7:

I have a MET, too. Mine has a Cliffy. However, mine also has a playfield protector on it just like yours. I think the playfield protector guards the edge of the hole. If the ball can't hit the edge, it can't damage it.
    For God's sake, wipe that gob of wax off there.

will do

Believe it or not, there’s no protector on that playfield - I just clean and wax it religiously. The shiny part is the factory mylar, which oddly is missing on Rush.

I do have a playfield protector for my Rush, the first time I’ve ever done it. I’m liking it so far.

#136 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

Quoted from sudsy7:

That's a good question. ???

I had access to a Pro in addition to my LE during the prototyping of the protector. The Mech attachments and posts are identical. The only reason I can think of for Stern to use the plate on the Premium/LE was to help the ball transistions between scoops as they behave different on the two versions. That being said I have not physically tried Mantis' prototype to the Pro.

Here are some pics comparing the two, with the later being from a Pro:
    C21EE044-0474-4F49-9D86-0F4F98AE5BCF.jpegC21EE044-0474-4F49-9D86-0F4F98AE5BCF.jpegC46418AB-8942-437F-BBF7-79C5F1440F4F.jpegC46418AB-8942-437F-BBF7-79C5F1440F4F.jpeg

#137 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Believe it or not, there’s no protector on that playfield - I just clean and wax it religiously.

I don't see any dimples and it looks like there are some flecks of chaff or whatnot that might be trapped under a plastic sheet is why I thought yours had a protector. Must be the camera angle. Anyway, I don't recall ever seeing a Mantis that low in the pocket on any machine, and it looks like Kerry is making sure that the Rush protector is set near (but below) the playfield plane.

1 week later
    #138 2 years ago

I put the ninja scoop protector on today. It kind of pulled up where the posts tightened down, but otherwise seems very flat. Played the monthly tourney afterward and no one even noticed or said anything. I had a little indent in the wood on the right of the front scoop, not sure this will protect super hard hit balls? but i'm just glad to have something on the wood for a route game.

1 week later
    #139 2 years ago

How is the plastic / rubber ninja working so far?

#140 2 years ago

Has this been posted? If so, sorry for the re-post.

#141 2 years ago

Thank you for sharing, I have not seen that video. Im curious if everyone is having good luck with the ninja scoop protectors? I am so desperate for just something that works. Stern is not ready to ship these kits yet.

#142 2 years ago
    Quoted from Fordiesel69:

How is the plastic / rubber ninja working so far?

Stern protector junk after 50 plays. Ninjacamp protector perfect after 200. You can decide.

#143 2 years ago

Another happy Ninjacamp customer

Thanks guys.. This product is super impressive. My game finally plays like it should have out of the box.

20220420_204333 (resized).jpg20220420_204333 (resized).jpg
    #144 2 years ago
    Quoted from kool1:

Another happy Ninjacamp customer
    Thanks guys.. This product is super impressive. My game finally plays like it should have out of the box. [quoted image]

I agree!!

I just received the updated version from stern. It will stay in a box.
    What I’m wondering is….. will stern be using the updated version for all front scoops on future machines? I sure hope not

#145 2 years ago
    Quoted from J-drum11:

I agree!!
    I just received the updated version from stern. It will stay in a box.
    What I’m wondering is….. will stern be using the updated version for all front scoops on future machines? I sure hope not

#146 2 years ago

For a guy like Me, watching Borg do it makes Me wonder if I'll ever get it back together correctly?

#147 2 years ago
    Quoted from sepins:

For a guy like Me, watching Borg do it makes Me wonder if I'll ever get it back together correctly?

Don't put that one in, buy the ninja. 30 minute install, very easy. Looks 100x better too.

#148 2 years ago

Cliffy is shipping his now! Nice.

#149 2 years ago
    Quoted from sepins:

I'm not super handy and I was able to do it.

Just be careful not to lose any pieces and go slow.

#150 2 years ago
    Quoted from kool1:

I'm not super handy and I was able to do it.
    Just be careful not to lose any pieces and go slow.

Thanks will go with Ninja. Is there an install video for them?

There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rush-aftermarket-metal-scoop-protectors-/page/3?hl=largemouthass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.