Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 176 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Kez11
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231204_211532 (resized).jpg
    3D5D457E-15A0-4792-816B-D1EE51601FFF (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5070 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5069 (resized).jpeg
    20220420_204333 (resized).jpg
    C46418AB-8942-437F-BBF7-79C5F1440F4F.jpeg
    C21EE044-0474-4F49-9D86-0F4F98AE5BCF.jpeg
    6DA29192-000F-437F-89B6-03EEA98DA421 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    RUSH scoop debacle (resized).jpg
    White duck tape (resized).jpeg
    Plastic cliffy (resized).jpg
    C16A3E96-DE18-4067-92E0-0967DC20BDB5 (resized).jpeg
    D7486A33-36B4-42C2-91CD-2F83A4904873 (resized).jpeg
    D441862E-A5FF-4BB3-8167-64EEEA08CE40 (resized).jpeg
    There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 2 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

Need to also add the information that the new updated scoop protector itself is made with the proper hardness stainless that the first run pros did not get.
    Unfortunately this is the risk you take by getting the first run pros out the door without any public testing but regardless at least the problem is fixed and is taken care of now.
    This redesign update is very robust and should not give anybody an issue. Hopefully everybody with those early run pros gets this update quick and in their game up and running properly.

Is that different than the comical Benny Hill scoop protectors the LEs are arriving with? Those are just the Pro version with the wings literally cut off existing stock and two forklift forks to hold the top surface flat.

rush_stern_scoop2 (resized).jpgrush_stern_scoop2 (resized).jpg

#52 2 years ago
    Quoted from mnpinball:

This redesign update is very robust and should not give anybody an issue. Hopefully everybody with those early run pros gets this update quick and in their game up and running properly.

Except stern support be like "Sorry for any confusion or misinformation, but we do not have any kits or fixes available yet.”

back of the line!

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Is that different than the comical Benny Hill scoop protectors the LEs are arriving with? Those are just the Pro version with the wings literally cut off existing stock and two forklift forks to hold the top surface flat.
    [quoted image]

While the wing cutoffs look obvious... the material does look different from the originals. The originals looked like a polished metal, these look brushed. So maybe they got batch #2 - Right material! and then went crap... rev #3 - change the design, mod the batch #2 parts..

#54 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

While the wing cutoffs look obvious... the material does look different from the originals. The originals looked like a polished metal, these look brushed. So maybe they got batch #2 - Right material! and then went crap... rev #3 - change the design, mod the batch #2 parts..

Or they wanted to cost reduce a few pennies out of the Pro version and had the better metal for the Prem/LEs but with the wrong design from the Pros already made. Who knows? It's Stern.

#55 2 years ago

Stern said they weren't ready to ship out the real protector fix...but on the list...

1 week later
    #56 2 years ago

I requested some faulty ones and they complied and sent me 5. Very happy they are not shipping out a half baked fix then to have to start all over. Every 25 games I just swap out the protectors.

What is ironic is the attached photo is from a data east Harley Davidson and this is what would have happened to rush if we ignored their advice and removed the protector.

0225221845b.jpg0225221845b.jpg
    #57 2 years ago

Oh and to clarify the new material is brushed stainless. As the ball whacks into it and you keep working with the metal it starts to take on a polished look. Now call nuts but the new protectors seem to bend quicker and then when you straighten them 2 or 3 times they almost seem to harden up and bend less. Maybe I'm just imagining it.

0227221306.jpg0227221306.jpg
    #58 2 years ago
    Quoted from Fordiesel69:

What is ironic is the attached photo is from a data east Harley Davidson and this is what would have happened to rush if we ignored their advice and removed the protector.
    [quoted image]

After how many years on route?

Here is a real world reference . On route over a month. And most of this chewing on the right side is superficial. Would clean up well.

90A9673A-CE69-43C0-9A62-67913C84305A (resized).png90A9673A-CE69-43C0-9A62-67913C84305A (resized).png

People at home won’t get that volume kind of play… and majority are LE owners who have the topside covered

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ross:

I’m hoping someone can get Kerry at Mantis Amusements access to measure and create one of his scoop protectors.

Kerry says Mantis is working on a solution for this problem. I'm betting it will be better and more robust than Stern's "fork" patch.

1 week later
    #60 2 years ago

I was comparing the Rush scoop to the Mandalorian scoop. I'm thinking the Mandalorian doesn't have this issue because there are posts at the front of the scoop protecting the area around the scoop. With that in mind, I'm curious if there's a way to use a different plastic or other covering over the scoop that could be anchored with either new posts or that has a floating post of some sort that would protect the scoop. That'd be a pretty involved heavy duty fix. Not sure if that's realistic.

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from medeski7:

I was comparing the Rush scoop to the Mandalorian scoop. I'm thinking the Mandalorian doesn't have this issue because there are posts at the front of the scoop protecting the area around the scoop. With that in mind, I'm curious if there's a way to use a different plastic or other covering over the scoop that could be anchored with either new posts or that has a floating post of some sort that would protect the scoop. That'd be a pretty involved heavy duty fix. Not sure if that's realistic.

1 - ‘mando is not narrow like rush
    2 - mando is not a scoop where the ball passes through the playfield- the eject mech is flush with the bottom of the pf vs going into a chute.

Mando is not a good reference for these reasons - never mind the geometry differences

True Scoops like addams, tz, etc are more similar- but neither is as small. Kiss is really the closest physical comparison.

#62 2 years ago
    Quoted from craif:

Unless its got really unusual dimensions it seems like one of the scoop protectors cliffy already has in kits for some other recent sterns should fit. Either way enough people have the issue that I'm sure he can make one with the right measurements. Might just be waiting for someone to ask.

Cliffy has Rush scoop protectors in production now, and they are described as "beautiful". Just send Cliffy an email to get on the waiting list.

#63 2 years ago

Cliff is the man...Im on the waiting list, he will get this issue fixed!

#64 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

1 - ‘mando is not narrow like rush
    2 - mando is not a scoop where the ball passes through the playfield- the eject mech is flush with the bottom of the pf vs going into a chute.
    Mando is not a good reference for these reasons - never mind the geometry differences
    True Scoops like addams, tz, etc are more similar- but neither is as small. Kiss is really the closest physical comparison.

As I posted before its actually the same size scoop as Metallica, that's Mantis' Metallica scoop protector in place:
    718A0927-4FE8-4AE6-B1CF-9442F503788A (resized).jpeg718A0927-4FE8-4AE6-B1CF-9442F503788A (resized).jpeg9A05532E-AF1D-4527-9276-C0405D1DBA0F (resized).jpeg9A05532E-AF1D-4527-9276-C0405D1DBA0F (resized).jpeg

#65 2 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

As I posted before its actually the same size scoop as Metallica, that's Mantis' Metallica scoop protector in place:

Man, that just looks like a bullet-proof solution if the mounting can be worked out. It may even be able to be mounted from the topside with some mounting ears going to the same posts that the fork fix mounts on. It may get bashed in at the edges after many plays, but I can live with a replaceable sacrificial liner. And I can also live with it making the shot more difficult. My money is on Mantis!

#66 2 years ago

Ya I’m excited to see/use cliffys!

#67 2 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

Ya I’m excited to see/use cliffys!

Cliffy could even employ a Mantis-style protector in his design. Would that be a Clantis or a Miffy?

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

[quoted image][quoted image]

I bought one of those, in hopes that it will work.

#69 2 years ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

same size scoop as Metallica, that's Mantis'

Thank you for posting this-I now have some hope. I was worried the scoop would be too narrow to accommodate a Mantis. Looks like it fits perfect and will work well. Not sure I would use a Cliffy with Mantis? Mantis is designed to not need a Cliffy and I would go Mantis before Cliffy. The beveled edge will never get damaged with the proper leveled Mantis and I still think a thin proper hardened Cliffy will still be susceptible to some damage because of the location of scoop getting hammered by upper, etc.

Now need to make a sketch of center pf band member cartoon art-so a replacement sticker can be made. Also would want to get the QR reader off apron-wish Stern would move to coin door-such an eye-sore it hurts my eyes.

#70 2 years ago

Looks like the metal plate will need to be removed and drilled for holes(or drilled carefully in place) to attach the Mantis. Could probably get away with using a small self tapping tek screw of some kind but removing the plate and drilling holes with metal drill bit and then using small wood screw would be ideal.

Mantis to the Rescue!

RUSH plate (resized).jpgRUSH plate (resized).jpg

#71 2 years ago

Not a fan of Stern's V3 scoop fix. #1 it is fugly! #2 it blocks the scoop shot and makes the shot super tight. The upper cliffy is still going to get slaaaaaamed! If only Stern would have used Mantis protectors from day one? Wonder how many replacement pf's are being sent out for this faux pau. If I had a RUSH with a mangled pf I would not be a happy camper.

-Also the guys in the RUSH thread-please stop stating that mylar is a good fix and works well-total band-aid solution and has me shaking my head.

Stern scoop fix (resized).pngStern scoop fix (resized).png

#72 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Not a fan of Stern's V3 scoop fix. #1 it is fugly! #2 it blocks the scoop shot and makes the shot super tight. The upper cliffy is still going to get slaaaaaamed! If only Stern would have used Mantis protectors from day one? Wonder how many replacement pf's are being sent out for this faux pau. If I had a RUSH with a mangled pf I would not be a happy camper.
    -Also the guys in the RUSH thread-please stop stating that mylar is a good fix and works well-total band-aid solution and has me shaking my head.
    [quoted image]

Is that seriously what they are installing at the factory now?

#73 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

it blocks the scoop shot and makes the shot super tight.

Not true at all. It’s still a very easy shot, and the ball goes in there more often than not if I’m flailing a multiball.

Quoted from pinmister:

The upper cliffy is still going to get slaaaaaamed!

No wear at all on any of the Rush games at LAX. Mine got about 450 plays, still looks brand new. I used mylar on my upper scoop, but the other Rushes without mylar looked fine too.

#74 2 years ago

After 483 plays:

012661CB-3597-4D97-BAA9-690740318FF9 (resized).jpeg012661CB-3597-4D97-BAA9-690740318FF9 (resized).jpeg9FA395A3-92A6-46CC-AB14-1D0925E11C01 (resized).jpeg9FA395A3-92A6-46CC-AB14-1D0925E11C01 (resized).jpegB7A8F148-5659-4F12-91A4-C3B8CA4F9744 (resized).jpegB7A8F148-5659-4F12-91A4-C3B8CA4F9744 (resized).jpeg
    #75 2 years ago

Being devils advocate-you should not have to put down mylar to protect your generic cliffy from getting damaged. Plus it looks like ass

The scoop shot is still makeable but adding the side blinders looks cheesy and it does reduce the angle substantially. Would you rather have big blue blinders and mylar over cliffy or just a really simple Mantis that should have been installed since day one? I recommended a Mantis months ago when first released and not sure if they have cotton in their ears or what? I honestly am surprised they did not retro-fit premium run with some kind of Mantis. -Rant over

#76 2 years ago

From the past. Mantis from underneath didn't "stop" wear a the wood lip going into scoops..... so I'm not sure just a mantis would completely solve this rush scoop issue.

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

so I'm not sure just a mantis would completely solve this rush scoop issue

I am very confident in a Mantis approach

My scoops with Mantis still look pristine, and with the beveled edge-may be the overall best solution

#78 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Being devils advocate-you should not have to put down mylar to protect your generic cliffy from getting damaged. Plus it looks like ass

Agreed, I’m going to take the mylar off, now that the show is over. I think it does cut down on metal-to-metal ball wear though.

Quoted from pinmister:

The scoop shot is still makeable but adding the side blinders looks cheesy and it does reduce the angle substantially

I’m just not having any problem hitting that shot at all.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

From the past. Mantis from underneath didn't "stop" wear a the wood lip going into scoops..... so I'm not sure just a mantis would completely solve this rush scoop issue.

My MB scoop with thousands of plays begs to differ!

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

I am very confident in a Mantis approach
    My scoops with Mantis still look pristine, and with the beveled edge-may be the overall best solution

Are yours home games? It is hard to compare hundreds of plays vs thousands and tens of thousands from route. 10 years ago I always saw people putting both cliffy and mantis on scoops. The mantis would not be level with the pf so when the ball rolls over that wood edge, it would wear. Another issue with rush is the scoop is so close to the flippers, in a highly hit spot because of being in the middle and the balls always rolling into that scoop set...it is going to have to be some serious protectors to help keep it from not having issues in a higher play instance.

Glad you've had good luck with just the one protector. The mantis is good at being hidden and not seen.

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from sudsy7:

My MB scoop with thousands of plays begs to differ!

good! this was all stuff that when I was getting into the hobby 10+ years ago, was a thing... I 've never had a mantis on my games, and my home games barely get played.

#82 2 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

good! this was all stuff that when I was getting into the hobby 10+ years ago, was a thing... I 've never had a mantis on my games, and my home games barely get played.

A Mantis that is properly seated and leveled to be just below the surface of the playfield plane, will never allow the ball to touch the filleted edge, so no damage can occur. Also, obviously, the ball cannot impact the sidewall of the scoop hole, so no damage can occur.

#83 2 years ago

FYI: I’ve been working with Kerry Mantis and I’ve let him borrow the Stern plate shown in the pics, he is working on a solution and has been for a few weeks. Haven’t said anything so far in order not to get everyone’s hopes us prematurely. He will announce when he has a solution, just requires some patience.

#84 2 years ago
    Quoted from sudsy7:

Cliffy could even employ a Mantis-style protector in his design. Would that be a Clantis or a Miffy?

I vote the Miffy, been called that forever,
    a take on my last name

#85 2 years ago

The upper scoop will need protection, see picture.
    Also, I have seen slight wear with Mantis type protectors, on Metallica, Tron, And Guardians. All 3 have that basic Metallica one people are recommending. The Mantis ones are just slightly below the level of the PF, allowing a slight ding on the side where the curve of the scoop forces the ball into the playfield.

1FE5D19E-78D3-42B0-A590-B12B99061379 (resized).jpeg1FE5D19E-78D3-42B0-A590-B12B99061379 (resized).jpeg
    #86 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I vote the Miffy, been called that forever,
    a take on my last name

Are you sure that wasn't Iffy? I did a search on Pinside and didn't get any hits for Miffy.

#87 2 years ago
    Quoted from sudsy7:

If you look at Chicago Gaming's MB remake, the protector for their scoop looks like a hybrid of both.

#88 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bangback:

If you look at Chicago Gaming's MB remake, the protector for their scoop looks like a hybrid of both.

and mine is getting chewed up with low plays :/

#89 2 years ago

No comment !?

Screenshot 2022-03-16 at 16.43.14 (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-03-16 at 16.43.14 (resized).png
    #90 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bangback:

? Seems just like a cliffy.. and it gets deformed and bent up pretty regularly too. </maintains MBR on route>

MBR scoop is the bane of my existence...

#91 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bangback:

I've got an original MB, and it is a standard Mantis that mounts from the underside of the playfield. I think Rush would be better mounted from the topside (both scoops) which is normally how Cliffy's mount. I'll bet this is what will end up being the final solution, but it needs to be a true Mantis in that it lines the hole with thick metal and leaves the filleted edge uncovered. Thin metal over the edge will just peen and distort as already evidenced.

#92 2 years ago
    Quoted from ian866:

No comment !?

Swing and a miss. Strike three.

#93 2 years ago
    Quoted from sudsy7:

Swing and a miss. Strike three.

Oh come on, that’s trivial to replace. I’ll stock up on fat BNODs.

#94 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Oh come on, that’s trivial to replace. I’ll stock up on fat BNODs.

I don't think it's trivial if you have to replace it every month. Also, it never gets any prettier no matter how many times you replace it!

#95 2 years ago
    Quoted from sudsy7:

I don't think it's trivial if you have to replace it every month.

Every month? I doubt it. The games at LAX all got 400-500 plays and no BNODs broke.

#96 2 years ago

Do premiums have this issue? Just got mine last week. Only 20~ plays on it so far.

#97 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Every month? I doubt it. The games at LAX all got 400-500 plays and no BNODs broke.

All I know is this "fix" has been out about a week, and there it is in all it's glory. There is a better way - you'll see.

#98 2 years ago
    Quoted from sudsy7:

Are you sure that wasn't Iffy? I did a search on Pinside and didn't get any hits for Miffy.

Let's just say my name starts out miff

#99 2 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

? Seems just like a cliffy.. and it gets deformed and bent up pretty regularly too. </maintains MBR on route>
    MBR scoop is the bane of my existence...

The top of the protector looks like a Cliffy, but the inside of the hole looks like a Mantis. Best of both worlds?

#100 2 years ago
    Quoted from northvibe:

and mine is getting chewed up with low plays :/

Hopefully someone comes up with a good solution.

There are 176 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rush-aftermarket-metal-scoop-protectors-/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.