(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    PacDotsmall (resized).jpg
    LEDarcade2 (resized).jpg
    1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    52978E50-7D5F-4414-B1A7-D67B2D69D694 (resized).jpeg
    Run dmc (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0074 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3959 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210925_171305935.MP (resized).jpg
    HUB08 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD (resized).JPG
    669C1ED9-72C7-47F8-889A-E8731D50942E.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #611 Jan 2016 BOM suggestions from j_m (dated materials) Posted by j_m_ (8 years ago)

Post #760 tips from j_m on setting the display type on his builds Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #779 switch setup for different colors on j_m's builds Posted by gweempose (7 years ago)

Post #821 Release of the Run-DMD Pico Posted by Limpan (7 years ago)

Post #847 Video of Run-DMD Pico assembly Posted by tqln (6 years ago)

Post #902 Link to v3.52 menu explanations Posted by Puffdanny (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swinks.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#64 9 years ago

cool project, any way of supplying with a a range of adjusted graphics (mirror compared to the original ??) or some custom animations similar to games out there.

maybe with an option of 2 - 3 sd cards each with a certain range of animations (car ones, early dmd era ones and recent dmd ones etc?)

does the board have a permanent power supply input?

2 years later
    #838 6 years ago

what sort of plug / lead is needed for the 3.2 oled to connect to the Pico?

1 year later
    #1107 5 years ago

I have had this clock for a little while and currently not working (turns off when it wants, doesn't turn on when it should, freezes mid image) but all roads seem to lead to reflashing the sd card but I am a mac user so how do I do this when it appears you need a windows machine to do this?

#1110 5 years ago

my workplace is a government hospital so can't download anything and macs at home so very frustrating at the moment but Pinballer73 is going to try and help, much appreciated

1 month later
    #1128 4 years ago

local pinsider helped with a card but now the it turns itself off earlier than it should after running perfect for a few weeks. Then got j_m_ 's replacement card and set the on and off time and then the display did everything opposite, mirrored, back the front etc - removed the card, turned everything off and back on and came on but no animations ..... ????? is there a menu function to check the animations

or do I just have a bad run-dmd board - at the moment not that happy with it...

#1131 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

I have a older run dmd, from the very first run.
    Where can I get a updated sd card with more images?

https://rundmdimage.wordpress.com/

2 weeks later
    #1134 4 years ago

I ended getting my clock running reliable, apparently there is a slim chance that if your house is hit by a power loss during running it can correct the sd card - reason being is the card has a portion being updated every few moments to allow for randomness of the images shown. Therefore not just a card with files to read on it but a program that runs and constantly saving. If there is a power loss during the writing it corrupts the SD card and it needs to be re-flashed.

HERE is my step guide to help those with a MAC computer.

* you will need Parallels loaded on it to run Windows programs. For a while I forgot I had this on one of my design computers.
    * you will need one of the Windows versions loaded on it - I have Windows XP on mine.

These are the steps in which I then did it - hope it helps people as the process is a little vague and assumes everyone is experienced in the process.

Step 1 - I downloaded the files
    step1 (resized).pngstep1 (resized).png

Step 2 - locate program and then the image file to be loaded to the SD card
    step2 (resized).pngstep2 (resized).png

Step 3 - While in XP on Parrallels insert the sd card into the computer and select windows screen because in apple mode it won't recognise the sd card (my screen also picks up my 3d printer)
    step3 (resized).pngstep3 (resized).png

Step 4 - Then I have an option - Initialize / Ignore / Eject - I trialed a few things but Ignore worked
    step4 (resized).pngstep4 (resized).png

Step 5 - Then in the select screen for copying the file to the sd - seen as a usb drive
    Step5 (resized).pngStep5 (resized).png

Step 6 - Then start and gives you a warning, select Yes again
    step6 (resized).pngstep6 (resized).png

Step 7 - Programming took a couple of minutes and then says complete but also gives the option to start again - so don't push start. And being Windows running on a Mac there is no option to eject the card in the Windows mode - so remove the sd card (not much choice here)
    step7 (resized).pngstep7 (resized).png

Step 8 - Have clock connected to power but off on the button 4 to turn on (on j_m_ clock it is the very left button)

Step 9 - Insert SD card and it immediately turns on and boots up

Step 10 - Set time if the board has not been already set yet - if the clock was running and you have had to reflash the clock will maintain the time (if the battery is still installed)

Step 11 - Set sleep time

Step 12 - set wake time

then it should work , which it did for me..... on both sd cards..... hope that helps some people

#1138 4 years ago

Macs can reformat cards and load up SD cards but the program that runs in the background on the SD card and is constantly rewriting itself during clock operation is a windows program so the problem is a little bigger. The rundmd guys need to develop a mac program app.....

Even better is a power protection feature built into the clock so if there is a power loss during the clocks operation the SD card is not corrupted - this would save alot of issues for people.

#1140 4 years ago

well, 3 weeks down and my clock is playing up once again, didn't have any power loss but it did turn off during a period I was doing some 3d printing which was on the same wall outlet ?????

1 month later
    #1143 4 years ago

I like the edge lighting with the custom message

6 months later
    #1204 4 years ago
    Quoted from pocketscience:

Anyone know how to get hold of run-dmd for support. Quite sure my board is a dud. Sent 2 messages via website.. nothing but crickets...

contact Limpan as he is linked with the run dmd and I checked and he was last active on pinside today

2 weeks later
    #1227 4 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Thank you. Is this file available anywhere? I could not find it on the site.
    Thank you

I put it up on my website
    https://swinks.com.au/mod-manuals

#1229 4 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Awesome, thank you! So I can just take the card from the unit I have, and put this file on and it should be ok?
    Sorry for my ignorance, I have never updated it before.
    Chris

It is not as simple as dropping a file onto sd card and even harder for Mac users - I will put together a little how to for Mac owners soon

#1233 4 years ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

Has anyone had issues with their Run-DMD (White) not keeping the time? I've checked the CR2032 battery voltage (good) and tried a few different batteries, but the clock loses its time when disconnected from the power supply (or even just powered off using the momentary pushbutton). It keeps time fine when connected to power so I think the RTC itself is ok; just doesn't get power from the CR2032 when shut off.
    Edit: reached out via the website about a week or two ago, haven't heard back.

try a fresh SD card as found one card gave me alot of problems and another not

they have disappeared for a short while now

#1236 4 years ago

I will get my guide together tonight to help as in the end I use a mac in windows mode to do the sdcard file load up

#1237 4 years ago

ok, if you need to re-flash your clock SD Card here is my guide and the image

hope it helps

Re-Flashing your RUN-DMD Clock SD Card.pdfRe-Flashing your RUN-DMD Clock SD Card.pdf
    1 month later
    #1243 3 years ago

from my research and info I got from the guys before they went into hiding is:
    - basically the image file lives on your sd card and every 5-10 seconds the sd card is updated with what has been played to ensure a mix of images. If there is a interruption of power to the clock during the 5-10second update it will corrupt the sd card and start to do weird things.
    - other thing is your sd card could be corrupt - get a new one and try a different brand as I have 2 cards and reflash both and one keeps failing (Sandisk)

hope that helps

#1253 3 years ago

keep in mind with my clock the sandisk could have a issue and not be the brand - just trying to isolate the issues.

I have my clock on a timer for wake at 6am and off at 10pm.
    one disc just keeps going but the other is very touchy being the sandisc.

I did not know that of the disc that should be used for constant re-saving - maybe they should of went for a usb if that is try ???

#1259 3 years ago
    Quoted from TonyScoots:

Same thing is happening again, I tried to take it apart and reconnect everything but that did not fix it. Do you think it’s the SD card? Maybe it’s corrupt

yes I think it is the card..

1 week later
    #1271 3 years ago
    Quoted from TonyScoots:

Hello
    is there a new link, this one is broken. I am going to reflash the new SD 80mb/s card I purchased, hopefully this will work

try again as link worked for me

that said my website server provider was having minor problems in the last 24hrs

#1274 3 years ago

go to my website for the manual page and have a how to and the file to load up.

3 weeks later
    #1296 3 years ago

I saw this post in another thread and probably explains the disappearance of the clock image

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hologram-mod-for-creature-from-pinballsp-is-under-development/page/39#post-5703183

"Technically yes, if your selling as is or modified Williams/Bally artwork you need permission from Rick at PPS as he holds the licence. All the big players like colorDMD,CPR etc.. all have a agreement with Rick to sell the artwork. The runDMD clock project was recently shut down by Rick due to it included Dot animations from Williams/Bally games which was not licenced.

He probably can't ever see this thing being finished either so is not worried

I will say the animations are fantastic, the artist has done amazing job. Just a shame there is no working platform to put them into! "

3 weeks later
    #1312 3 years ago

have it set on from 6am to 10pm and then asleep 10pm to 6am as very bright and flashes & lights up a good section of the house otherwise

#1316 3 years ago
    Quoted from longwetsocks:

Finally put my Run-DMD together tonight. Looks awesome. I grabbed the image from swinks and it's loaded with animations from a ton of games but it's missing a couple of my favorites. Does anyone have an image with LOTR and TSPP animations or has no one ever added those?

the unit does not always play all images and sometimes in re-flashing shows different images - I have 2 cards and sometimes swap them

#1318 3 years ago
    Quoted from TonyScoots:

Hello
    Can anyone make/burn me an SD card loaded ready to go and mail it? I will pay for the card and service plus the shipping

I have the info here if it helps

5 months later
    #1385 3 years ago

I have a guide there on how to do, which is for mac but also window users

1 year later
    #1463 2 years ago

there are issues with corrupt SD cards and the issue can start when your clock is running and then power suddenly goes out - black out or power killed to the house suddenly. The program is actively running from the SD card every few seconds so can be corrupted if the power outage is right at the animation change. The corruption can cause lines out, merged graphics, time resetting, image lockup.

I have a section on the RUNDMD stuff here:
    https://swinks.com.au/manuals

1 week later
    #1474 2 years ago
    Quoted from RazorV23:

just put my clock together, having trouble getting animations on it. Anyone had any success using a Chromebook to add files to the SD card? I don't have access to a windows computer at the moment.

I have a section /manual on RUNDMD here on my site that will explain the process

#1477 2 years ago
    Quoted from RazorV23:

Do I need to follow the “re-flash” instructions?

yes as the program is effectively on the SD card so it isn't a matter of dumping the images on it needs to go through this process which is a pain and not apple mac friendly

#1478 2 years ago

Also I was given the newer updated image files which I have not tried as yet.

#1481 2 years ago

The B134 img has been used many times and I haven't changed anything at this link

Did you unzip the file and just select the img or imgc file type
    - could be selecting the incorrect file as it says the zip file unless it is referring to the folder - haven't done it a while
    - could be the SD card being corrupt

#1485 2 years ago
    Quoted from RazorV23:

Huge thank you….. you were correct, I didn’t unzip the file. Old laptop running Windows 7 for the win.

great to hear

which file to do you use - B134 or B237?

and is it working fine?

#1490 2 years ago
    Quoted from DanT:

I tried updating my clock with the B237.img and it would not boot. I was able to return to the B134 image with no problems.
    Does the latest B237 image only work with certain run-dmd board revisions? How many animations are included in B237? I notice the uncompressed image file is about 4x larger than the B134 image. B134 has 2302 animations when I browse it through the run-dmd board menu.

Sorry I can't really help as the file was shared with me - I was told it would work on the DMD - White board.

What board is yours?

I did notice the file type difference:
    B134 - is a imgc
    B237 - is a img
    so not sure if this affects the end result

#1495 2 years ago
    Quoted from zerbam:

does the b237 file have more images than the b134 file?

yes apparently a number of new additional animations

#1499 2 years ago

Ok some testing was done though not by me, but someone experienced with these clocks that asked me to post this to help the community.

These are the test results:

1. Tried both B237 and B134 - IMG & IMGC File type did not matter, both worked
    2. Tried in 4 different Run-DMD clocks (Classic with updated firmware and Exp-one, Pinball MK2, Pinball Original, White) - The above file types worked on all these boards.
    3. Did all of these tests on both software - Etcher and HDDRawCopy1.10Portable - This did not matter but HDDRawCopy was way faster.
    5. Tried a bunch of cards - This appears to be the problem when it doesn't work.
    6. In most cases where it worked I had to hold the "3" button to put the controller into setup mode. IF the display goes into the slow blink mode the card will likely work but you have to wait 20 seconds or more to get anything to display. IF it's a normal blink the card will likely not work.

Here's a summary of the cards that worked.
    1. 8GB Kingston MicroSD
    2. 16GB Microcenter MicroSD (US PC Store)
    3. 32GB SanDisk MicroSD
    4. 32GB Kingston MicroSD
    5. 32GB Kingston SD - I had 2 of these. They came with recent Run-DMD boards.

The following cards did not work.
    1. 2GB Transend SD - Note that B237 is too large for a 2GB card.
    2. 4GB Transend SD - I had 2 of these - Neither worked.
    3. 8GB Transend SD - I had 4 of these - None worked.
    4. 16GB Microcenter MicroSD - I had 3 of these including the one that worked above. They appear to be identical.

Conclusion
    It may be worthwhile to try each of the cards that you have until you find one that works. If buying a new card a newish Kingston 32GB card seems to be the most likely to work. Fortunately these aren't expensive but may take some trial and error to find one that works. Odds are very high that other cards will work though.

In Summary
    Both files work on most dmd clock boards but the weakness is the SD card brand and memory size.

Hope this helps
    Jady / Swinks and friend

#1502 2 years ago
    Quoted from daveyvandy:

Well, looks like my Kingston canvas select plus 32 GB card is bad as well. Not even going to bother reflashing it, I ordered a SanDisk ultra similar to what my dad got. His is still doing fine after 3 or 4 days.

you are not in a area where you have black outs or lose power?

make sure to turn off via the off button or sleep and not via the power point as turning off mid animation can corrupt the SD card as well

#1504 2 years ago
    Quoted from daveyvandy:

Yeah I don't have any problems with power at all. I purposely did a test of just leaving the clock on all day. After about 2 and 1/2 days I had the corrupt animations issue. Got to assume based on what I've read that it's just from a bad batch of micro SD cards.

yes, sounds like

the cards are definitely the clock weakness

3 weeks later
    #1512 1 year ago
    Quoted from phillymadison:

Will the new file work with the Pico boards too? It’s been a while but I thought the pico Clocks used a different file.

I am not sure, may have to load up a card and see if it works.

#1519 1 year ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

While folks are posting about issues with their clocks, I have a Run DMD White that has never been able to maintain the time between power cycling.. It seems to do an OK job of keeping the time while power is maintained, though.
    Should I try another SD card? I’ve replaced the battery a couple times already but no dice there.

try a new card

3 weeks later
    #1530 1 year ago
    Quoted from datagod:

Howdy folks. I first saw the amazing DMD clock at a pinball tournament in Florida back in 2016. I started tinkering with LED matrix displays and have been building my own Arcade Retro Clocks (they play 9 video games, show the time, etc) but last night I decided I wanted to build a 128x32 version and display the pinball animations.
    I have the code to easily show GIF animations. Does anyone know of a way to convert the pinball animations to GIF format?
    My clock is raspberry pi based and all my code is written in python. Currently supports 64x32, but I plan on expanding that.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

see if you can do something with the RunDMD images

9 months later
    #1553 1 year ago

I have saved some of the info and animation files for the RUNDMD on my site for safe keeping and if anyone needs it

#1557 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Im running the B-34, I didnt know there was a b-37.

make sure to load up a new sd card just incase you have issues so you can go back to the good sd card b-34

#1559 1 year ago
    Quoted from PeterG:

Wonder if there has been any new animations, if you have Ghostbusters, that is most likely the last DMD made. So if you see a ghost, you know who you gonna call

yeah ghostbusters comes up

#1562 1 year ago

there seems to be issues with the IMG file type where as the older IMGC file type works

#1564 1 year ago
    Quoted from jyeakley:

Anyone have the imgc for b-37?

I grabbed what ever files were available before removed from the site and circulation.

A few people have had success and a few haven't. But if anyone does have it let me know as I can add it to the folder for people to use.

#1567 1 year ago
    Quoted from jyeakley:

I tried both type C and E (I don’t have an F). Sometimes it works for a minute or so, but then goes back to jumbled animations.
    Here is a quick video:

a word of warning

I am not 100% sure if you are pulling the plug to power off and then pushing back in or using a power off button???

The SD card does not like power off via the plug as if it occurs mid way between a time and animation it will corrupt the SD card. The SD card does not just store animations but also has the active program in it and it can easily be corrupted. I a series of house blackouts due to the power line fuse to the house and each time this occured it corrupted the SD card.

As a test maybe program 2 cards - one with the 34 and one with the 37 and test each one to see if one works or both and power on and off with the power button on the RUNDMD

6 months later
    #1615 6 months ago

as you guys know I have saved the files and are available on my website

but I had a person reach asking what the different boards look like so he could determine what upgrades he could do.

Could you post images of what the Edge, Red, White, Pico look like as the Run-dmd site is down again and just wanted to create a basic document to detail what each looks like and any none info of what version can handle what firmware updates to help people in the future.

cheers

Jady

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swinks.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released?tu=swinks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.