(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    PacDotsmall (resized).jpg
    LEDarcade2 (resized).jpg
    1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    52978E50-7D5F-4414-B1A7-D67B2D69D694 (resized).jpeg
    Run dmc (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0074 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3959 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210925_171305935.MP (resized).jpg
    HUB08 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD (resized).JPG
    669C1ED9-72C7-47F8-889A-E8731D50942E.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #611 Jan 2016 BOM suggestions from j_m (dated materials) Posted by j_m_ (8 years ago)

Post #760 tips from j_m on setting the display type on his builds Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #779 switch setup for different colors on j_m's builds Posted by gweempose (7 years ago)

Post #821 Release of the Run-DMD Pico Posted by Limpan (7 years ago)

Post #847 Video of Run-DMD Pico assembly Posted by tqln (6 years ago)

Post #902 Link to v3.52 menu explanations Posted by Puffdanny (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schudel5.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 9 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

thanks ^^
    if we can get someone to create and produce the frames, I would be in on a mass purchase to get these over to the states reasonably priced

I'd be all over one as well. Definitely would like to have some animations preloaded (if possible).

#97 9 years ago

Just had a question on this. When you buy the two split DMD panels, does it come with the interconnection ribbon cable? Does it also come with the data cable between the Run-DMD and first panel as well as the power cable from the Run-DMD to the panels?

#148 9 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I tried to send the .dxf files to joe kase @ laseriffic.com but he said that he was unable to open them. does anyone have the ability to open and re-save them as .eps files and send them to me?
    also, when I tried to view them with the online viewer on google drive, it showed the frames with the length of 52" (which can't be correct)

Files sent to your email. They are drawn in millimeters. I plotted them out full scale to pdf and converted them to eps.

#151 9 years ago

The frame is 637mm x 181mm = 25.0787" x 7.126".

#183 9 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

Limpan- do you know the specs on the standoffs/screws/spacers used for the frame?
    http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=29457
    The post gives me an overview and how many of each we need, but doesnt provide thread size and length of these. Im sure i can find these for cheap, i just need to know exactly what im looking for.

I think the standoffs shown on that page are thread x length (mm).

40mm = 1-5/8"
    30mm = 1-1/8"
    16mm = 5/8"
    12mm = 1/2"
    8mm = 5/16"

Threads would probably be 6-32 or 8-32 depending whether M3 or M4. Not sure what the standards are for hex spacers and lengths but you can probably find what you need here for lengths.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=358

#185 9 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

6-32 and 8-32 are SAE, while M3 and M4 are metric. If you're saying to use a 6-32 screw and 6-32 standoff in place of a M3 screw/standoff, that I'd agree with.
    If you're buying a bunch of hardware, McMaster-Carr would probably have more stuff at better prices than Pinball Life.

Yep that's what I'm saying. Probably hundreds of retailers are going to have better prices that even MMC. Just citing an example of some different sizes that are available.

#187 9 years ago

Here's the only caveat that I'm thinking you will run into using imperial standoffs, for this project, and the Alibaba displays. The displays already have the threaded metal studs in them that you screw the standoffs into first. I'm assuming these are probably metric as they are coming from HK. Granted, you probably could run the proper metric tap in the threaded end that attaches to the display and it might work. Just throwing that out there. Or just source the metric standoffs somewhere.

#191 9 years ago
    Quoted from txx3ddq442:

While this product looks to be amazing, this thread seems to have focused more on the acrylic frames than anything else.
    Regarding the Run-DMD PCB (i.e. the brains of it)... what does it take to actually get the clock and animations up-and-running? Is the clock embedded in the PCB chips or is it included on the SD card? I'm gathering that the animations are not included but can be (maybe) downloaded somewhere.
    Anyone care to put together a concise post on how you'd go from unboxing, assembly, firmware flashing, animation loading, etc.?

It's all pretty much on the run-dmd website. The firmware is on a chip that plugs into a socket on the board. The SD card is just the animations. Updated firmware is with a new chip. Buy the board and displays, attach the ribbon cables and 5V wiring. Plug in the adapter. The clock now works as a clock. Download the animations and the clock grabs the images off the SD card. Then you need a frame...

#215 9 years ago

While were at it, a PS/2 port for a GPS antenna to keep accurate time (1pps signal). Just a thought...

3 weeks later
    #306 9 years ago
    Quoted from alveolus:

Can someone answer where we find this image, B118?
    thanks

Go to Run DMD and follow the FAQs.

2 weeks later
    #319 8 years ago

Here is my Run-DMD story:

I was in the middle of hanging my Run-DMD clock last Saturday May, 2, 2015 at 12:25pm in west Michigan. Standing on a chair placing it on the wall screws when I heard what sounded like a freight train outside the game room. Then the whole place shook for 5 to 10 seconds!

Magnitude 4.2 earthquake. Second largest in 68 years and very rare for Michigan. The epicenter was only 15 miles away.

True story.

#325 8 years ago
    Quoted from kbliznick:

I don't understand the sleep settings on the clock.
    I want it to turn on at 6 am (which I found as an option in the wake up menu), but the sleep menu looked to just be an amount of time rather than a specific time, what am I missing here?
    Thanks
    Kris

I PM'd Linus. He's going to have the developer change that. Right now you can have it come on at 06:00, 07:00, 08:00, 09:00 or 17:00 and then shut down after 5 min, 15 min, 1 hr, 2 hr, 4hr or 8hr.

Mine's set up to come on at 5pm and then set for 8 hrs so off at 1am. I'd like on at 8am and off at midnight. Would be nice for weekday vs weekend, but then he'd have to set up a day input as well.

2 weeks later
    #379 8 years ago

Will there be another batch of animations released within the near future?

2 months later
    #485 8 years ago
    Quoted from Womper:

I'm getting a faint vertical line along the right side of the dmd when it's running. And a single bright dot on the lower right hand corner when the dmd is off. Anyone else getting this or anyone know what I can do to get rid of this? I've tried messing with cables, holding buttons down. It works fine other than the faint line and the one dot that won't go off.
    Thanks!

Are you using one of the larger HUB displays or a red Stern display? If a red Stern display, I'd suspect that. Those things are junk.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-red-led-dmd-anyone-have-issues

2 weeks later
    #495 8 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Installed the updated sd card image and I love it. One thing I noticed is the RUN-DMD animations is playing very frequently. I don't want to get rid of it but I would like to decrease how often it shows up. Is it possible to do that?

Yes. It's one of the settings. Something like startup animation. For some reason this was set as default 1/10. There are other settings including disable.

#497 8 years ago
    Quoted from chriskd:

I think the setting is 'clock delay'.

No that's the setting that dictates the number of seconds between animations. There's another setting that allows you to show the start-up Run-DMD screen as one of the animations. The settings are based on one out of every x animations it will show the start-up screen. I think it was accidentally set to 1/10 by default in the B122 update. There are other values like 1/30, 1/50, etc. Just set that one to 'disable' if you don't want to see it.

2 weeks later
    #511 8 years ago
    Quoted from MapleSyrup:

I suspect this is a plasma DMD, and therefor needs to be powered separately.

The new LED displays only require 5V. The plasma displays will require a transformer able to output 110V and 88V to an HV board. The HV board will then convert this to get the +60V, -100V and -110V to drive the plasma. You'll also need a 12V source as well and a connector to get from the HV board to the display.

It's probably doable, but best to get an LED display.

1 week later
    #516 8 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

I'm waiting for the second expansion board before I order my next run-Dmd control boards. I have 2 fully assembled clocks and they are amazing. I've found myself wanting larger displays and may investigate that. Even with bigger displays it would be the same number or dots. They would be either bigger dots and/or farther apart.

I can't imagine using a standard DMD for this clock. Glad I spent the $40 for the large panels.

I'm anxiously awaiting the expansion board and firmware to run an occupancy sensor with off delay.

1 month later
    #543 8 years ago

Issue running v3.10 when the clock is set to 12H mode. The clock displays 0:00 at midnight rather than 12:00. Just noticed it tonight.

2 weeks later
    #551 8 years ago

Did you try removing the clock from the wall and using the cable that came with the power supply? That would rule that out if it's still having issues. I'm running the cable that came with the power supply and no issues with the latest PIC or SD images. I am running mine on medium brightness though.

2 months later
    #602 8 years ago
    Quoted from fnosm:

How long do you leave your Run-DMD on? All the time? Only when in viewable area? Any potential damage that could result from leaving it on 24/7?

I adjust the settings in mine to turn on at 17:00 (5pm) and run 8 hours until 1am. If I have an event or party, I just disable the on and off settings temporarily.

#605 8 years ago
    Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Which setting is this?

Sleep Timer --> 8 hours

Wake Up Timer --> 17:00

This turns the clock on at 17:00 (5pm) and lets it run for 8 hours. Typically the day before a party or event, I will go into the settings and set both to DISABLE. This will keep the unit on 24/7.

4 months later
    #655 7 years ago

Anyone try installing B130? All I get is a full on display with a faint clock in the background. I tried brightness settings but it doesn't change anything. Reverted back to B129 for now.

#657 7 years ago

Ok. I have a feeling a different flag is set in the boot up sequence where he was probably testing with a different display. I'd imagine the next update you might have to do this again to get it back to the original display setting. Thanks. I'll try again.

EDIT: Thanks jletourn, that did the trick.

4 months later
    #705 7 years ago

Are any subsequent animation updates going to be hosted somewhere else in the future?

#709 7 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

Yes, the image file (and future updates) is available at another website right now. Guess I can't link it here though.

Put it in the FAQ section of the rundmd website.

1 month later
    #731 7 years ago
    Quoted from scorpion90:

as they are fake

How did you determine they are 'fake'?

B132 worked for me. The Ghostbusters animations are definitely neat to see.

1 week later
    #745 7 years ago
    Quoted from phillymadison:

New image file is out B133 2249 (real) images

I hate fake images.

#752 7 years ago
    Quoted from mamemaster:

Nope. I just get rows of blinking lights with the new image. I reinstalled 130 and it went back to normal. I wasn't able to get the new image to work unfortunately.

I get that with each new update now. You have to hold down button 3 when plugging in the power then let go when the clock powers up. Then wait for the proper image display to come up then press button 4 to select.

1 year later
    #872 6 years ago

B134 images were released a year ago (1-2-17). Any new animations planned for 2018? Would be nice to see something new...

2 months later
    #882 6 years ago

So are the animation updates for this thing officially dead? It's been 15 months since anything has been updated and uploaded to the site. Is there a way to pass the torch onto someone that can grab animations from DMD games and continue on with creating new .imgc files?

4 weeks later
    #888 6 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

Are you missing any particular games? Let me know if we've missed anything.

I don't have a list of what games are included in the images, but I can't imagine there are animations from every Williams, Bally, DE, Sega, Stern game from 1991 to 2016 in there.

Champion Pub?
    Godzilla?
    Jurrasic Park?
    Harley Davidson?
    Lost in Space?

Thanks for still being here and not abandoning the clock.

1 month later
    #928 5 years ago
    Quoted from SeaLawyer:

I'm discovering this very late. What an awesome product!! I really like the idea of building a speaker-panel-style frame, and maybe just installing BT speakers to play tunes from my phone or something. I have an extra DMD from an Addams Family pin--will this work?

No that plasma display will not work. Well it would if you built a high voltage system to get the display to operate. But, you can get those red LED DMDs Stern used to use and connect that up to the kit specifically for that type of display.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schudel5.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released?tu=schudel5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.