(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    PacDotsmall (resized).jpg
    LEDarcade2 (resized).jpg
    1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    52978E50-7D5F-4414-B1A7-D67B2D69D694 (resized).jpeg
    Run dmc (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0074 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3959 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210925_171305935.MP (resized).jpg
    HUB08 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD (resized).JPG
    669C1ED9-72C7-47F8-889A-E8731D50942E.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #611 Jan 2016 BOM suggestions from j_m (dated materials) Posted by j_m_ (8 years ago)

Post #760 tips from j_m on setting the display type on his builds Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #779 switch setup for different colors on j_m's builds Posted by gweempose (7 years ago)

Post #821 Release of the Run-DMD Pico Posted by Limpan (7 years ago)

Post #847 Video of Run-DMD Pico assembly Posted by tqln (6 years ago)

Post #902 Link to v3.52 menu explanations Posted by Puffdanny (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider roar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#950 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

I'm about to buy a board and DMD/PSU, but I'm curious to know where I can get a frame.
    This one looks pretty sweet:
    Also, is it better to go with an Edge or White model?
    Cheers

j_m_ has said he may make the latest version of the acrylic frame available on ponoko.com.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-check-run-dmd-clocks-absolutely-the-final-batch/page/2#post-4440121

#956 5 years ago

There are files available on ponoko now...

https://www.ponoko.com/design-your-own/products/run-dmd-frame-set-rev-2-0-1-set--12565

As mentioned they will likely need editing to meet the panels you buy.

#958 5 years ago

The files are free and they can print them. They will quite likely need editing to align with whatever displays you have... which is what j_m_ has done... but those changes will match the displays he's bought. It does say the following on the site:

Add the design files to your My Ponoko account to make them. If the license allows it,
    you can also modify the design if you like.
    OR...
    Download free design files Download them to your computer, then upload them to your My Ponoko account to make them.
    If the license allows it, you can also modify the design if you like.

You should be able to find someone local who could take the file and cut it (Potentially modify it for you if you don't know how)... check kijiji for 'laser cutting acrylic' and you'll find folks like the following: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-services/city-of-toronto/laser-cutting-acrylic-laser-engraving-on-metal-wood-leather/1341982185?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

2 weeks later
    #974 5 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

Im in the process of making a frame out of maple. I share pic when done.

Please do, if you can show any assembly/mounting pictures that would be great too, this is the direction I've been considering.

2 weeks later
    #999 5 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Just want to give props for this frame idea, it's awesome. No offense, but I think it blows away the Plexi+ standoffs frame idea. This looks so clean, and only takes 10 min or less to put together. A very "Finished" look, absolutely love it...Thanks again! Highly recommend!

I think it looks great, but, no offense, I don't think someone should have to put down one solution to prop up another.

#1001 5 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Huh. I thought he was very polite with his opinion.

No offense but... you can't write that without offending. I think it is fair to say it looks great and is easy and amazing, that is all onside, but it is my opinion that if you follow that up with 'no offense but I think it blows away the Plexi+ standoff frame idea' you are putting down the Plexi+ standoff solution inside the very thread that inspired frame solution. Just my opinion. Fair to say I've misjudged things in the past though, this may be another example.

7 months later
    #1097 5 years ago

Ordered a RunDMD a couple of weeks ago when a new batch of the ones for Stern DMD’s came in. Built my own frame for it and sourced a local place for tinted plexi. $8.50 for a piece with the perfect tint! They cut it while I waited and the place was 15 minutes from my home.

Anyway, really pleased with the product, wasn’t cheap, the RunDMD was about $175 CDN after shipping, I had the DMD and a power supply already so I paid less than $200 CDN out of pocket.
    CA1265D2-C5EE-40C5-9014-2D76E7012AB9 (resized).jpegCA1265D2-C5EE-40C5-9014-2D76E7012AB9 (resized).jpeg

2 months later
    #1112 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

if there isn't an SD card inserted into the run-dmd board, or if SD card isn't making contact correctly in the slot or if the SD card has gotten corrupted, that can cause the issue that you are experiencing
    see this thread:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-clock-reflashing-the-sd-card-to-fix-glitched-no-animations

Hey j_m_ I've actaully got Damien's boards and Run-DMD. I've captured a video of it, not sure if anyone else has seen something similar. I've re-flashed the card and used the card from my working Run-DMD and both show the same result.

Any trouble shooting I could do on the actual HUB08 boards with a voltmeter? Lots of power in the power supply, 10A should be more than enough. I suspect something happened during transport of the panels to me, or I plugged something in backwards that screwed it up.

https://www.amazon.ca/photos/share/UGpB1TdL7IpZQJYG6vsbG5Wll8Bks5OWzoYAQhhasmL

#1119 4 years ago
    Quoted from WizardsCastle:

So can't use screens out of LOTR, MET, TWD, or Spidey?

I used the one out of my MET with a Run-DMD Pinball, which was an original run and is 5V.

1 month later
    #1133 4 years ago
    Quoted from WizardsCastle:

BIG shout out and thank you to roar for taking time out of his days to put together this gorgeous RunDMD frame.
    You sir, are a true gentleman and stud! I greatly appreciate your time and generosity, and feel like I've earned myself another great friend in this community![quoted image]

My pleasure @wizardscastle! Each time I build one I get better at it. Thanks for your patience working through it all with me, we finally got it done!

10 months later
    #1240 3 years ago

Looks like Run-DMD still has some boards in stock but you'd want to check which panels your PIN2DMD is using as you don't actually use the controller on the PIN2DMD, you'd essentially be swapping that out with the RunDMD. Different RunDMD boards can handle different panels. https://run-dmd.com

There would also be an option to run goDMD with your PIN2DMD but you may find that a little challenging to do as I have found the information to be hard to piece together.

3 weeks later
    #1287 3 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Do you have a contact with Linus? Don’t know who is Linus and if he provides a final product.
    Thanks

Linus is Run-DMD... you'd reach him via the website.

https://run-dmd.com/

5 months later
    #1357 3 years ago

For those wondering the same thing I was... can I update my firmware... from the site...

Can I upgrade the Run-DMD firmware myself?

Yes, if you have a PICKIT3 tool you can update the dsPIC33EP-type MCU on the Run-DMD.

Run-DMD boards RevA/B/F2/F3 has a “ICSP” connector that you can connect the PICKIT3 to. If you have another Run-DMD board revision you need to remove the MCU and place it in a separate dsPIC33 ICSP socket for upgrading, this socket is available in the run-dmd.com shop.

The firmware hex-files are available for download at run-dmd.com, please note the board revision and MCU type since they use different firmware hex-files!

If you have questions regarding how to use PICKIT3, please refer to the microchip.com website.

9 months later
    #1427 2 years ago

My Run-DMD sits proudly in my living room but I wanted a clock for the basement and wanted something ‘newer’. Put this together, randomly plays videos from Spike2 games… well actually any mp4 you put on the card… but for this purpose Spike 2 games .

Running a Raspberry PI, with Chromium in Kiosk mode and some JavaScript and CSS. Pretty simple.

#1429 2 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Any chance of getting a write up on how you did it? I'm more than happy to contribute for your time.

Shoot... I started another thread and meant to update my post with a link to it... I put the code on git, so anyone can take a run at themselves. I think the details are pretty clear on the git page but if they're not, let me know, happy to help more.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spike-2-lcd-clock

1 month later
    #1444 2 years ago
    Quoted from BOBCADE:

I have an early run, any way I can upgrade to have a remote? Sucks getting the ladder out for time changes

There are directions to update the firmware to include functionality you may be missing, but if the board doesn't have an IR receiver on it or apace to solder one then you're going to be out of luck... I'd contact run-dmd directly to find out your best path forward.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released/page/28#post-5964291

1 month later
    #1451 2 years ago
    Quoted from Soulrider911:

I went to the run dmd site and seems they are all sold out? Anyone know where I can get the board. Would love to make one of these thanks

Send them an email they may be making more... they were out when I was looking to build and they told me more were on the way.

3 months later
    #1461 2 years ago
    Quoted from crwjumper:

This issue can occur if you are using a micro-SD card. If you are, then replace it with a full-size card. Try to get an 8 MB card. You’ll need to copy the data to the replacement card using the same method that you originally used.

Does the issue go away though if you use a different SD card? I'm challenged to see how the type of media could cause a pixel to go bright on a DMD. I've got a couple of vertical lines out on mine because of this and have just lived with it. DMD was fine when I put it in, I always chalked it up to the cheap power supply I'm using, it hasn't gotten worse though.

#1471 2 years ago
    Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

I probably have one laying around. May as well give it a go. Though I'll eat my hat if a micro SD card is somehow responsible for the panel receiving current while the clock is turned off considering that it happens when there's no SD card inserted at all.

Let me know how that goes, I've got a hat handy here I'll eat too if a card swap changes anything.

11 months later
    #1548 1 year ago
    Quoted from garman411:

Hello all, Can someone guide me how to supply 5v dc to this board?
    [quoted image]

Best bet is likely to reach out to Boston Pinball to be sure… that isn’t a RunDMD board.

#1552 1 year ago
    Quoted from cookpins:

So I know this is the RunDMD thread, but it seems that project is dead. I've reached out to several people about doing another run of boards and haven't heard any updates. That being said, I'm pretty excited that I just learned about this alternative option.

I don’t think it’s dead… you can usually buy boards direct from https://run-dmd.com/ but they appear out of stock at the moment… it’s happened before, you could email them and get an eta on more boards may be back in stock.

3 weeks later
    #1581 1 year ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

Anyone think that the PICO version will ever come back around or that a PICO alternative may ever be made?
    Essentially would love one of these but it needs to be small so it can sit on a desk. All other versions are too big.
    And I love my Jumbo that I got from ddebuss several years ago.

I like the Pico one a lot… it hasn’t been in stock in ages though so I made my own Spike 2 clock version that runs on a RPi…

You can get that in small form factor with a 5” LCD built into the case and run this… https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spike-2-lcd-clock

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider roar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released?tu=roar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.