(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    PacDotsmall (resized).jpg
    LEDarcade2 (resized).jpg
    1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    52978E50-7D5F-4414-B1A7-D67B2D69D694 (resized).jpeg
    Run dmc (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0074 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3959 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210925_171305935.MP (resized).jpg
    HUB08 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD (resized).JPG
    669C1ED9-72C7-47F8-889A-E8731D50942E.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #611 Jan 2016 BOM suggestions from j_m (dated materials) Posted by j_m_ (8 years ago)

Post #760 tips from j_m on setting the display type on his builds Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #779 switch setup for different colors on j_m's builds Posted by gweempose (7 years ago)

Post #821 Release of the Run-DMD Pico Posted by Limpan (7 years ago)

Post #847 Video of Run-DMD Pico assembly Posted by tqln (6 years ago)

Post #902 Link to v3.52 menu explanations Posted by Puffdanny (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phillymadison.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#269 9 years ago
    Quoted from wiggy07:

I created my own frame with plexi-glass purchased from Lowes. I also bought the spacers I needed from Pinball Life. Drilled all the holes with a drill press.

DSC00411.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
    DSC00412.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
    DSC00407.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
    DSC00408.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

Did Lowes have the sizes of plexi-glass in stock or did you have to cut a piece?

#274 9 years ago
    Quoted from wiggy07:

yes, i had them cut to size by Lowes. The Lowes where I live has a workstation to do the cutting. Lowes does not charge any additional charge to the cutting. I did tip the worker $5.00 for saving me the trouble.

Nice I have access to a drill press so drilling the holes wont be a problem. I wouldn't feel comfortable cutting a piece with the tools I have available lol. I was actually thinking of making a wood backing and leaving the face open, but if I can get 2 pieces of plexi cut to size I would go this route instead.

Might I ask? What's the size they cut it to?

#283 9 years ago

I got my tracking number today thanks Limpan

1 week later
    #309 9 years ago

I got my board a few days ago but I'm still waiting on the Ali stuff
    While I wait I tried putting the images on the Sd card.
    I think I did it right.
    It's either the run DMD image file or the AO logo file right? Not both correct?

1 month later
    #424 8 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

Torbjörn has heard the voice of the community, and says the following:
    "The EXP THREE is estimated to be available later this summer and will include the following:
    - Remote control interface
    - Motion sensor interface + motion sensor (for automatic power save)
    - 3 x temperature sensor interface (one sensor will be included)
    - RF power switching control interface
    - Plug-and-play with Run-DMD “RevF”."
    Edit: Custom scrolling text messages is coming in firmware 3.10

Will we need the Exp one also or will the Exp Three do all that one does and more?

2 months later
    #518 8 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

I'm anxiously awaiting the expansion board and firmware to run an occupancy sensor with off delay.

+1 for that. Any news on this? I love my clock but unplugging it when I leave the room is getting old lol.

#523 8 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

It pulls less than ten watts, just let it run.

It's not that I'm trying to save energy I'm more worried about the Alliexpress panels burning out or something. I feel they're the weak link of the clock lol.

2 months later
    #570 8 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

I've heard that there's a new SD image out in the dark, called B124, which contains a total of 1014 animations!

When I got this clock it was at 500+ animations and now it's over 1000?!?
    Time to finally update!

2 months later
    #606 8 years ago

I have mine connected to a remote plug switch. I walk into my game room press #2 and my clock comes on. Before I leave I just turn it off.

#608 8 years ago

Got the email for the Facebook page today and instantly liked it. Great idea.

2 months later
    #637 8 years ago

Does anyone know of a eprom programer that can also program the MCU chips for the clock? I was looking at the Gq-4x eprom programer but I'm not sure it can be used to upgrade the MCU chip on the rundmd clock.

3 months later
    #677 7 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I guess I don't understand the attraction of the temperature? Do you guys have pinball machines outside? If I was going to have an external probe it would be a motion sensor to turn the clock on while people are in the room and let it shut off after say 15 minutes of no motion.

I love the motion sensor idea. I think the temperature was more for the game room fridge than for the outside temp.

1 month later
    #697 7 years ago

Is Torbjörn still adding images to the clock? Was hoping he could add some images from the wrestling pins Royal Rumble and or Wrestlemania

And mbob check this out for the big ones
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-jumbo-clocks

#699 7 years ago

Oh I know I have one. But Torbjorn puts the images on the master file for us to download.

2 months later
    #706 7 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Are any subsequent animation updates going to be hosted somewhere else in the future?

Bumping this ^

but for now this will help anyone that needs the images and HDD Raw copy

Scroll down to the sixth post

http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/run-dmd-clocks.33265/page-4

#714 7 years ago

Are you guys gonna get the updated MCU chips back in stock soon?

#716 7 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

I ordered a few more MCU:s, and will hopefully have them in the next week. I've added them to the stock list in the webshop, so place your order and I'll have it shipped out as soon as I get the MCU:s.

Very cool thanks. I'm not sure what letter version I have though so I snapped a pic of the start up image. Any idea which it is? I know my MCU is v 2.22 just don't know the model letter. C maybe? IMG_8622 (resized).JPGIMG_8622 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
    #718 7 years ago

New image file is up B131 1829 images

https://rundmdimage.wordpress.com

#722 7 years ago

New update B132 2029 images with GHOSTBUSTERS images!!!

https://rundmdimage.wordpress.com

SPIKE system is in the game now...I mean clock.

(Now put some Wrestlemania ones )

2 weeks later
    #744 7 years ago

New image file is out B133 2249 (real) images

https://rundmdimage.wordpress.com/

Big thanks to the Run DMD team for adding Wrestlemania images.
    Maybe next update can have Royal Rumble and Simpsons pinball party...if you're looking for some more games with great images

#746 7 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

I hate fake images.

Me too buddy me too.

3 months later
    #829 7 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

Torbjörn has been working hard, and The Run-DMD PICO is finally ready to be released. The first units will be available for sale later this week over at http://run-dmd.com
    The Run-DMD PICO will be sold either as a full kit with both OLED display and a 3D printed case, or barebone for those of you that want's to build your own case.
    The SD card image for the Run-DMD PICO comes pre-loaded with a set of sounds for the alarm function, and software for uploading your own alarm sounds will be released in the near future.
    Run-DMD PICO:
    The Run-DMD PICO is a graphic, USB powered, battery backed, desktop alarm clock. It is a derivation from the larger Run-DMD CLASSIC/EDGE/WHITE LED matrix clocks, and can use the same SD-card data for animations, etc.
    The Run-DMD PICO requires (in addition to the main pcb) a 3,2” OLED display, a micro SD-card, a CR2032-battery, an enclosure and a 5V USB power source.
    There are 4 buttons on top of the Run-DMD PICO pcb with main functions of: Menu, Alarm 1, Alarm 2 and Night Mode. Within the menu system these buttons functions are different and displayed in the lower part of the display, just as on the classic Run-DMDs.
    Key features of the Run-DMD PICO:
    * Displays current time in various styles and formats
    * Battery backup (CR2032) of internal real time clock
    * 2PPM clock accuracy (within 5 seconds per month)
    * 2 separate alarms (internal speaker) with snooze function
    * Can display animations and play sounds from classic Run-DMD SD-card images
    * Night mode to dim display and stop animations
    * Custom text can be configured and displayed
    * Display modes: DMD, CRT, LCD, Bar, Raster, Tiny
    * Displays temperature (with external probe, option)
    * Alarm EXT trigger signal (to control external components, option)
    * Uses a micro SD/SDHC for internal storage of settings and data
    * Powered through standard mini-USB connector (5V 500mA)

What's going on with the Pico clock? Thought it was gonna be available a few weeks ago.

#831 7 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

Yeah, it was supposed to be released a few weeks ago, but I've been having the flu and some other health related issues. I'm back on track now though, and a few PICO kits/barebones are available in the webshop right now for order. Shipping will start Tuesday.

Glad you're feeling better I'm going to be in for the full kit one when you get it. Health always before pinball clocks

2 weeks later
    #845 6 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

How large and how much.

That's what she said

6 months later
    #868 6 years ago

Limpan anymore animation updates coming out? Still some pretty cool images that could be used from Simpsons pinball party, WWF Royal Rumble and the Super Mario games. Just saying

5 months later
    #889 6 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

Are you missing any particular games? Let me know if we've missed anything.

We're still here. I'm currently moving the shop to a self hosted alternative instead of Tictail which we used earler. Biggest problem was that Tictail ran some kind of sales giving away discount codes that I did not approve, so this is a way of having everything at one place (shop, blog, FAQ etc).
    I think the firmware/animation updates has been fading away since there's not much issues reported left to fix, and almost all games are now available in the image. I also think Torbjörn has his hands full with his regular work, and that could also be why firmware/product updates has been stalled.
    The reason why the Facebook page was removed was that I needed a personal break from Facebook. I created a "fake name" account just to manage the Run-DMD Facebook page, but then someone reported that account (joined two groups and had no friends linked to it) so it got deleted instantly.
    I'm still here, and will answer if you send me an e-mail, so the Run-DMD is not abandoned.
    Both Edge, White and Pinball is in stock, and can be sold through e-mail until the new website is released!

Awesome Limpan! Glad you guys aren't gone.

Here's a few pins I hope you guys add soon. All have great animations!

WWF Royal Rumble
    The Simpsons Pinball Party
    Super Mario Bros.
    Super Mario Mushroom World

#898 6 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Oh man, please no. Mine shows so much wrestling now that I assumed both WWF and WWE are already there. Is it really just WWE currently?

It's just Wrestlemania right now but you can turn off any pins you don't want to see in the settings

#903 5 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

There's a menu you can get into with the little buttons inside and lets you delete the ones you don't want,set the time,restore to factory.....

What's great is you can take off specific animations or entire games

2 months later
    #1016 5 years ago

Can't not see those animation and not say "Fat Head" or " Fish Head" etc lol

1 month later
    #1046 5 years ago

Limpan Question about my Run DMD Pico Alarm clock. The animations on mine sometimes glitch (see pic). Can last a few minutes or a few seconds then it fixes itself. I can also hit the dim display button on and off and it fixes it temporarily. Once a day or 2 wouldn't be a big deal but it happens pretty often. Any ideas? And there isn't a way to update it like the normal size clocks just the images right?

IMG_0620 (resized).JPGIMG_0620 (resized).JPG
    #1051 5 years ago
    Quoted from mjthompson:

FYI... I re-flashed last night and everything has been working better so far. Thanks!

Same...I wonder if hitting the dimmer switch on the Pico repeatedly but over time corrupted the sd card? Starts showing an image then having it taken away 100+ times over a year seems like it would mess something up.

3 years later
    #1511 2 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

Ok some testing was done though not by me, but someone experienced with these clocks that asked me to post this to help the community.
    These are the test results:
    1. Tried both B237 and B134 - IMG & IMGC File type did not matter, both worked
    2. Tried in 4 different Run-DMD clocks (Classic with updated firmware and Exp-one, Pinball MK2, Pinball Original, White) - The above file types worked on all these boards.
    3. Did all of these tests on both software - Etcher and HDDRawCopy1.10Portable - This did not matter but HDDRawCopy was way faster.
    5. Tried a bunch of cards - This appears to be the problem when it doesn't work.
    6. In most cases where it worked I had to hold the "3" button to put the controller into setup mode. IF the display goes into the slow blink mode the card will likely work but you have to wait 20 seconds or more to get anything to display. IF it's a normal blink the card will likely not work.

Here's a summary of the cards that worked.
    1. 8GB Kingston MicroSD
    2. 16GB Microcenter MicroSD (US PC Store)
    3. 32GB SanDisk MicroSD
    4. 32GB Kingston MicroSD
    5. 32GB Kingston SD - I had 2 of these. They came with recent Run-DMD boards.

The following cards did not work.
    1. 2GB Transend SD - Note that B237 is too large for a 2GB card.
    2. 4GB Transend SD - I had 2 of these - Neither worked.
    3. 8GB Transend SD - I had 4 of these - None worked.
    4. 16GB Microcenter MicroSD - I had 3 of these including the one that worked above. They appear to be identical.

Conclusion
    It may be worthwhile to try each of the cards that you have until you find one that works. If buying a new card a newish Kingston 32GB card seems to be the most likely to work. Fortunately these aren't expensive but may take some trial and error to find one that works. Odds are very high that other cards will work though.

In Summary
    Both files work on most dmd clock boards but the weakness is the SD card brand and memory size.

Hope this helps
    Jady / Swinks and friend

Will the new file work with the Pico boards too? It’s been a while but I thought the pico Clocks used a different file.

#1513 1 year ago
    Quoted from swinks:

I am not sure, may have to load up a card and see if it works.

B237 works in the pico Clock but not in my first run original Run DMD clock. B134 does work in it though. Also I know it’s overkill but a Sandisk 128 gb micro sd card works. (All I had at the moment)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phillymadison.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released?tu=phillymadison and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.