(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    PacDotsmall (resized).jpg
    LEDarcade2 (resized).jpg
    1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    52978E50-7D5F-4414-B1A7-D67B2D69D694 (resized).jpeg
    Run dmc (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0074 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3959 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210925_171305935.MP (resized).jpg
    HUB08 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD (resized).JPG
    669C1ED9-72C7-47F8-889A-E8731D50942E.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #611 Jan 2016 BOM suggestions from j_m (dated materials) Posted by j_m_ (8 years ago)

Post #760 tips from j_m on setting the display type on his builds Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #779 switch setup for different colors on j_m's builds Posted by gweempose (7 years ago)

Post #821 Release of the Run-DMD Pico Posted by Limpan (7 years ago)

Post #847 Video of Run-DMD Pico assembly Posted by tqln (6 years ago)

Post #902 Link to v3.52 menu explanations Posted by Puffdanny (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mjthompson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1011 5 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

I'm not trying to put another option down in any way, and, as I said, mean no offense. I just think this looks very professional, looks like a framed work of art. This metal frame surrounds the anti glare Plexi and DMD sections. Included hardware with frame holds everything in place,only one screw needed to mount PCB. I was just very impressed, and couldn't obtain the other option so I am very happy this option was mentioned. For just around $280 total, I'm very happy with the end result.

I think this frame looks great so I'm going this route. I have everything but the displays, hopefully they will be here by the weekend.

I'm curious, what do you mount the PCB to... the back of the displays?

3 weeks later
    #1038 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I do, however it would need be one of older clocks (from batches 1 or 2) which use a [replaceable] PIC chip. these are the clocks using the older EDGE boards
    if you have a clock that has the run-dmd WHITE board (all of the clocks that have 8 selectable color choices), your best bet is to purchase a PICkit 3 from ebay for about $20 and perform the updates yourself
    ebay.com link » Universal Pickit3 Programme Pic Simulator Emluator Microchip Debugger Kit Te465

I have a PICkit3 coming. I'm more than willing to fumble around with this myself but to save me some time... Does anyone have any pointers for updating a run-dmd white board? Where to get the software, steps for the update process, etc.

#1040 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

you know. pinside does have a 'search' feature
    not up to date, but should be enough to get you going. my thought is that if everything has to be spelled out, then maybe you shouldn't be messing around with stuff like this
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-programming-the-pic-chip-1#post-2515464

Sorry. I wasn't trying to be lazy. I did search and did find the referenced post but the last post was two years old and I wasn't sure how well the info applied to the white board, whether there were any gotchas with the newer MPLAB softerware, etc.

I like "messing around with stuff like this" but I was hoping to save some time by getting around headaches others have had to deal with... I'll figure it out.

1 week later
    #1047 5 years ago
    Quoted from phillymadison:

limpan Question about my Run DMD Pico Alarm clock. The animations on mine sometimes glitch (see pic). Can last a few minutes or a few seconds then it fixes itself. I can also hit the dim display button on and off and it fixes it temporarily. Once a day or 2 wouldn't be a big deal but it happens pretty often. Any ideas? And there isn't a way to update it like the normal size clocks just the images right? [quoted image]

I also see this with the new 3.54 firmware.

#1049 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I'm going to chime in and suggest re-flashing the micro SD card. I've seen it where the card becomes corrupt and does it. usually, reflashing it with HDD rawcopy corrects the issue

Sounds like it's worth a try, I'll re-flash this weekend.

#1050 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I'm going to chime in and suggest re-flashing the micro SD card. I've seen it where the card becomes corrupt and does it. usually, reflashing it with HDD rawcopy corrects the issue

Quoted from mjthompson:

Sounds like it's worth a try, I'll re-flash this weekend.

FYI... I re-flashed last night and everything has been working better so far. Thanks!

4 months later
    #1061 5 years ago

I

Quoted from j_m_:

linus
    a couple of people have been experiencing corrupt SD cards with their clocks. I've been re-flashing the SD cards for those that don't own pc's
    my thought is that this has something to do with the fact that something is being written to the SD card when the clocks are being unplugged (instead of powered off first using the 4th button)
    have you guys considered adding a capacitor to the run-dmd that would hold enough power to complete any writes to the SD in the event of loss of power to prevent memory card corruption?

FYI, I was having problems that required me to reflash the SD card. After it happened 5 to 6 times in a month, I bought a new SD card, flashed it and haven't had a problem in 4 months.

1 year later
    #1202 4 years ago

I'm going to sell the run-dmd I made a while back. $325 shipped in the USA. I also have the Pickit3 programmer I used to update it, I'll include it for an additional $15 (if I can find it ).

I can add some pictures if anybodies interested, but for reference, I used Damonator's great design from this post -

Quoted from Damonator:

So, rather than trying to search out the correct acrylic SVG files, I went a different route altogether:
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    A matte black metal frame with a non glare acrylic. I think it’s a nice clean look and is an easier assembly too.

2 weeks later
    #1207 4 years ago
    Quoted from mjthompson:

I'm going to sell the run-dmd I made a while back. $325 shipped in the USA. I also have the Pickit3 programmer I used to update it, I'll include it for an additional $15 (if I can find it ).
    I can add some pictures if anybodies interested, but for reference, I used Damonator's great design from this post -

Still available. It's the RGB LCD version.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mjthompson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released?tu=mjthompson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.