(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    PacDotsmall (resized).jpg
    LEDarcade2 (resized).jpg
    1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    52978E50-7D5F-4414-B1A7-D67B2D69D694 (resized).jpeg
    Run dmc (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0074 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3959 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210925_171305935.MP (resized).jpg
    HUB08 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD (resized).JPG
    669C1ED9-72C7-47F8-889A-E8731D50942E.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #611 Jan 2016 BOM suggestions from j_m (dated materials) Posted by j_m_ (8 years ago)

Post #760 tips from j_m on setting the display type on his builds Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #779 switch setup for different colors on j_m's builds Posted by gweempose (7 years ago)

Post #821 Release of the Run-DMD Pico Posted by Limpan (6 years ago)

Post #847 Video of Run-DMD Pico assembly Posted by tqln (6 years ago)

Post #902 Link to v3.52 menu explanations Posted by Puffdanny (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ddebuss.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#337 8 years ago

Anyone have opinions on whether to get the single or dual-color displays? The cost delta is pretty small so I was thinking of just getting the dual color displays but it's not clear if there are disadvantages that go with them... I get it power and they are slightly more expensive. Anything else?

2 weeks later
    #383 8 years ago

Im curious what the total length of time it takes to get through all the current animations at this point. Anyone have a clue?

#386 8 years ago

Just curious. That's quite a few animations. I guess I'm in. Order placed...

#398 8 years ago

Interesting.
    The power control isn't crazy expensive. For example the bye bye power is only $30 to control 6 games
    http://www.amazon.com/Bye-Standby-BBSBUSA-Energy-Sockets/dp/B0010383XM#Ask

I have to admit I was hoping for scrolling custom text capabilities.

#404 8 years ago

I have a question about the Pickit3 And icsp socket. Wasn't sure if I should start another thread on this. Basic question about it.
    1. Do you need new chips with it or does this combo erase the current chip and reprogram them?
    2. If an erase chip tool is desired what do you recommend?
    3. If new chips is another choice what chips are recommended?

#421 8 years ago

Waiting for my frames but did a temporary assembly. Wow I knew this would be cool but I was wrong. It's super duper spectacular cool. If these things weren't so expensive I'd put one in every room of my house! Thanks!

I'm very happy with it but if you are looking for feature requests.
    1. Motion sensor so it can turn on automatically when the gameroom is occupied.
    2. Custom scrolling text messages (even better with images)
    3. Temperature - Ideally with 2 or more sensors (zones) and even better if the sensors are wireless. I'd put one sensor in my beer cooler and one in my freezer to show the temperature of the temptations inside.

4 weeks later
    #471 8 years ago

I finally have 2 of my clocks together and running in their frames. Thank you j_m_! Time to build more... A couple questions.
    1. Any update on the new firmware with the scrolling text?
    2. Is the screw hole layout the same on the EXP ONE the same as the main board? How about for the upcoming board? I ask because I need to make a couple more frames and I'd love to have the holes laser cut while they are being made.

image.jpgimage.jpg

1 month later
    #494 8 years ago

Installed the updated sd card image and I love it. One thing I noticed is the RUN-DMD animations is playing very frequently. I don't want to get rid of it but I would like to decrease how often it shows up. Is it possible to do that?

#500 8 years ago

1. Start here: http://run-dmd.com/about
    2. Get the dual color displays if you want the "yellow" look.

The frames are another story...
    1. Start here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-bulk-purchase-for-frames-north-america-batch-2
    2. Obtain the hardware...

1 week later
    #508 8 years ago

I highly doubt you can use a plasma dmd with this. If it would work it surely would need it's own power source since the voltage is way higher.

1 week later
    #515 8 years ago

I'm waiting for the second expansion board before I order my next run-Dmd control boards. I have 2 fully assembled clocks and they are amazing. I've found myself wanting larger displays and may investigate that. Even with bigger displays it would be the same number or dots. They would be either bigger dots and/or farther apart.

1 week later
    #530 8 years ago

Cool arcade version would be sweet! Would be cool if he creates something like that if the animations could both pinball snd arcade could be used on the same clock.

Any update on exp 3?
    Can't wait for 3.10!

Glad to see this project is still alive. It went quiet for a while. It's an amazing project.

1 week later
    #536 8 years ago
    Quoted from kapsreiter:

3.10 is out now!

Great news! Where are you finding it? I looked at the two places I know about and don't see it.

#540 8 years ago

I know I've seen instructions on reprogramming the MPU but I can't remember where I saw it. Anyone know where I might find some instructions? If not I'm sure we'd all appreciate a quick summary of the steps.

#542 8 years ago

Thank you guys. All of my clocks are running the latest firmware now. Love the scrolling message. I was able to set one up then clone the SD card so now all of my clocks have the same configuration including my custom text.

1 month later
    #567 8 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Here's mine mounted in my game room. Everyone that sees it loves it!

It's amazingly difficult to not look at it.

1 month later
    #592 8 years ago

In case nobody noticed

Image B129 - Updated 2015-12-14 - 1568 animations
    The newest added animations are:
    B129: Big Bang Bar, Red and Ted's Road Show

You all know where to find it... Keep the animations coming...

1 month later
    #610 8 years ago

Your best case if you already have some of the parts is about $150. A full clock with the bigger displays, frame and hardware between $300 and $400. You might say $400 for a clock! No way. Oh Yes way. It's amazing.

1 week later
    #614 8 years ago

Here's a couple of clocks I've built so you can see size perspectives.
    - Top: Dual color larger panel without a frame. It'll look better when I get a frame built and covering the front. I have some ideas that I'll execute on in the following days. It's not as traditional plasma dmd yellow as I'd like. It looks more like a florescent green. If I were buying the panels again I may go with just plain red since it'll save a few bucks.
    - Middle: Dual color medium panels with a j_m_ frame. This is the one that most everyone has seen around.
    - Bottom: Stern LED panel taken from my Metallica when installing a ColorDMD. I'm working on a frame design for that one as well. It's already partially installed.

20160123_132448_(resized).jpg20160123_132448_(resized).jpg

#617 8 years ago

Got my big clock partially into a frame. Was hoping with the tint that it would be less green. I have to admit it still looks great even when it's green. I still prefer a real yellow and secondly Red. With the tint it seems actually more green instead. I guess when I do the final assembly in the next couple of days after the last couple of parts arrive I will make it just red... . The backboard is going to have my gameroom logo etched into it at the bottom (currently clear) and it'll be edge lit off the EXP ONE. Should look amazing.

20160127_170929_(resized).jpg20160127_170929_(resized).jpg

#620 8 years ago

I've noticed that the RTC at boot time shows the temperature. Any chance of getting the option of adding that periodically displayed? Looks like the hardware is already there.

3 weeks later
    #631 8 years ago

My big clock is done. Looks amazing

20160220_160509_(resized).jpg20160220_160509_(resized).jpg

#632 8 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Both of those are NLA. Would this be a good alternative?:

I think a p10 would require a huge space and you'd have to be pretty far to appreciate it. Regardless it doesn't appear to be the right display standard. The p7s I have are almost too far apart. I'll see if I can find a good large hub08 alternative and post my search results.

1 month later
    #638 7 years ago

Per a request I received via PM. Here's my jumbo clock unlit. I'm going to redo the tinting on the front panel with a different type of even a tinted acrylic if I make any more of them. I have a source (thanks Schwaggs) for the tinted stuff but it's a 4' x 8' sheet so it'll need to be used to make several.

Lights On - No Flash Run-Dmd Jumbo click - Lights On - No FlashRun-Dmd Jumbo click - Lights On - No Flash

Lights Off - With Flash Run-Dmd Jumbo click - Lights Off - With FlashRun-Dmd Jumbo click - Lights Off - With Flash

#640 7 years ago

Thought I'd post a couple of pictures of my latest clock builds with custom laser cut frames. Pictured are 2 examples. The lower is a 3 layer (front Red tint, middle Gray Tint, and back Gray tint). The upper is a 2 layer (middle Gray tint and back Red Tint) with a piece of gray tint overlaying part of it. Somehow the camera makes the LED modules look a lot lighter and it is. Another option for the 2 layer is a front and back. The middle layer is just behind the front layer covering the Stern DMD PCB. I have a bamboo middle and back on order. I will put either a clear or light gray tint on the front...

20160415_171146_(resized).jpg20160415_171146_(resized).jpg

2 months later
    #663 7 years ago

Exactly. It doesn't matter how cold it is. The proper way to drink a bud is to open the bottle and pour it down the drain then get a good beer and drink it.

2 weeks later
    #685 7 years ago

Good use for any panel that has "ghosting" problems...

#692 7 years ago
    Quoted from kapsreiter:

any cad files or drawings for a Frame/mounting for this big Displays

They are saw cut, hand sanded edges, and drilled with a template I created. I priced out laser cut ones but they were $100 per panel. I'm investigating getting them cut via cnc machine.

#694 7 years ago

I'll share some pictures of the template when I get back to town this weekend.

2 years later
    #1126 4 years ago

Fyi. I have displays built and ready to ship in my pinside shop at
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods

The shop currently has the following items for sale.
    Pinball DMD Run-DMD Pinball basic frame kit - From basic parts to complete units
    Pinball DMD Run-DMD Pinball acrylic frame kit - From basic parts to complete units
    Jumbo Red Run-DMD LED Display (Clock)
    Jumbo RGB Run-DMD LED Display (Clock)

1 week later
    #1127 4 years ago

Here's a photo of the Run-DMD displays that I have that are ready to ship with the exception of the medium one in the middle front. Stern sized plus Jumbos ready to go. I left the medium in there for a size reference. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods

20190403_200825 (resized).jpg20190403_200825 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #1141 4 years ago

To celebrate another amazing Southern Fried Gaming Expo I'm offering free shipping on all Run-DMD Jumbo displays and Pinball DMD Run-DMD kits until Monday or until I run out. This is a $30 savings off normal prices. Use discount code S97L-GJKZ-GF26-ZMX4 at checkout.

For Example:
    Jumbo Red Run-DMD LED Display (Clock) - $370 Shipped
    Jumbo RGB Run-DMD LED Display (Clock) - $500 Shipped

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02390-jumbo-red-run-dmd-led-display-clock
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02382-jumbo-rgb-run-dmd-led-display-clock
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02128-pinball-dmd-run-dmd-acrylic-frame-kit

Added over 5 years ago:

** $20 price drop **
    Jumbo Red Run-DMD LED Display (Clock) - $350 Shipped
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02390-jumbo-red-run-dmd-led-display-clock

Added over 5 years ago:

** $25 price drop **
    Jumbo RGB Run-DMD LED Display (Clock) - $475 Shipped
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02382-jumbo-rgb-run-dmd-led-display-clock

1 month later
    #1142 4 years ago

Until September 2nd I'm offering a special on Jumbo Run-DMD displays with Edge lighting. See the details in the post below.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jumbo-run-dmd-edge-lit-display-special#post-5155316

Standard Run-DMD Display Family

Jumbo Red Run-DMD display with Edge-lit frame. Choose your color and LED mode.

Jumbo RGB Run-DMD display with Edge-lit frame with custom message - Choose your message, font, and graphics!

#1144 4 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

I like the edge lighting with the custom message

Thanks! I have done a bunch of these via soda blasting which was a mess and had limitations. With the laser I can do pretty much anything that fits. I'm in the process of redoing my personal displays.

7 months later
    #1209 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

Also, if I just use the DMD from my stock Stern machine, seems easy enough to install. Anything special I would need to know?

Not really. Pretty simple process to assemble and get it working. My kits have detailed instructions. I'm happy to share my instruction manual if you want to look before ordering. I'm down to 2 sets and 2 jumbos in my pinside store.
    Pinball DMD: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02128-pinball-dmd-run-dmd-acrylic-frame-kit
    Jumbo: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02390-jumbo-red-run-dmd-led-display-clock

#1212 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

modern LED display you need high amp 12v power.

Actually it requires 5v power (about 2.25a) for any recent Stern LED DMD.

#1213 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

Is there a way to have this run off batteries or no?

Running off batteries is possible but not practical. A decent sized high-output battery bank could probably run for a few hours if you set the brightness to low. You've got me curious now. I may give it a try to see what I find assuming I have the right components to make it work.

#1216 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

I leave mine on all the time

That display looks familiar I think. Hope you are enjoying it.

#1220 3 years ago

If the lines are moving then the display type may be set wrong. Plug it in while holding the "c" button.

#1223 3 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

i don't know the version but I was wondering would the new update work on a older version of the RUN-DMD?

When you plug it in the firmware (top right) and animation version (one of the fields) is displayed.

The firmware adds features and panel type support. You need the proper tools to upgrade the firmware. Obviously if it's an existing display it already supports the panels you have. There have been a couple of new features but I'm not sure any of them are "critical". If I recall the current version is 3.55.

The animation version is what shows the pinball animations if you've installed them. Newer versions have always been additional animations supported. The most recent animation file is B134.

1 month later
    #1290 3 years ago

Just catching up on this thread. My theory on the corruption is that the auto-shutoff and auto-turnon is part of the problem. My first prototype display from several years ago has never been reprogrammed. Never corrupted. For the longest time I never turned it off but I now have it on a switch. It could be the card or the card carrier. I've seen lots of carrier problems. When programming more than a couple of Micro-SD cards I've found that a card would fail with it's included carrier but work with a different one. Since then I have a "card programming carrier" that I use. After programming the original carrier worked just fine. Could be a tolerance thing. So the theory about the SD card vs micro-sd card thing may actually fit with the carrier thing...

Note I still have a lot of Acrylic frame kits for Pinball DMDs in my pinside shop at https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02128-pinball-dmd-acrylic-frame-kit

3 weeks later
    #1302 3 years ago

A Run-DMD Pinball has a 5.5x2.1.
    A Run-DMD Classic, Edge, and White have a 5.5x2.5.

Edit: The difference is because of the power draw. The 5.5x2.5 can handle more power which makes sense for the bigger displays. Also keep the extension as short as possible and as low a gauge number as possible. At 5v the voltage drop is very material over distance. If you need a power extension I have some available in !M and 2M lengths (if I remember the lenghts correctly). I also have right angle power connectors as well. Just PM me. I didn't put them in my store although I guess I probably should.

#1308 3 years ago

Defiantly the place to start. Looks like a dead red driver for that part of the panel. I'd also try swapping the ribbon cables as another test. However this certainly looks a lot like a hardware problem.

2 weeks later
    #1314 3 years ago
    Quoted from longwetsocks:

Also ddebuss, I may be interested in one of those 1M power extensions for an Edge.

PM me for details but we are looking at $6 shipped via first class mail.

2 weeks later
    #1322 3 years ago

Thanks for the great video. I think this is the first time I've seen someone do a build video on the pinball DMD display. I've adjusted the documentation to make it a bit more clear on the controller orientation for the rear panel. I still have a bunch of kits ready to ship that will include the older documentation. Any future kits will have the updated documentation.

Quoted from longwetsocks:

Made a little video on building my Run-DMD for anyone that's interested:

#1327 3 years ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

Would really like to have a pico version of this but that doesn't seem to be ever coming back. With respect to the RPI2DMD product - it seems like a great product but if you are in the US you are out of luck. I have been trying for 5 months to get what is needed for this and wasted my money on the software etc as I cannot get a frame kit. The guy for the frames has been extremely unresponsive (2 messages in 5 months of me contacting him numerous times) with the end result being he will get back to me about shipping to the US. NO ONE on that forum has been willing to assist me with intermediary shipping or even interested in building one and sending it to me (offered to pay them for their time etc). So IMHO that project is a waste of time unless you can make all your own stuff for the frame which I do not have the ability for that.

I can probably help you with the frame. Provide a link to what you have in mind and I'll see if I can help with it.

#1332 3 years ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

I will see what I can find out but every time I log into that forum now all I can't see the pics and info in the frame thread anymore. That forum is really difficult to work with and annoying as hell.

It's important to decide on the physical size which will drive your pixel spacing number (P2, P2.5, P5, etc). A regular DMD from a pinball machine is P2.5. You could possibly do something smaller as well but it may be challenging to find a P2.0 panel that's 32 pixels tall. Note - The "size" isn't a major cost input for any of this stuff meaning a P2.5 display is similar in cost to a P5 display... You might find that the P2.0 panels are more expensive but it requires less material to make the frame. The controller solution would be identical between the two.

Note I have some P3 and P4 panels in inventory so I could probably build a frame with panel only solution that you could add your own controller system to. Reality is I'd probably put a cheap generic controller in it with a test program so you could see it all works when you get it.

#1335 3 years ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

What would be the smallest size panel as I am looking to do one for a desk so don't want something too big.

Including a frame I'd guess a P2.5 would be 14"w x 5"h. IF there was a P2.0 32x64 panels then it could be as small as 11"w x 4.25"h. I have yet to find a P2.0 in a usable configuration. Just looked again and no luck.

2 months later
    #1338 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Is there any source for the regular replacement HUB08 dual color display panels?

Aliexpress is your only hope. There are several good vendors there. I'd definitely plan to replace both of the panels even if you only need 1 of them. I'd even consider getting a spare. The Hub08 stuff is definitely not as common as it used to be.

#1340 3 years ago

Specs are right. I don't see why not. I've purchased from this vendor before and it was a good experience. The Aliexpress search is terrible...

#1343 3 years ago

The settings should have an "all dots" test to check out the display, it might be helpful.

There is a display test option in the tools menu.

2 weeks later
    #1348 3 years ago

Instead of Black Friday I'm doing Black November. Thought some of you considering a Pinball DMD display that I'd post it here.

Black November "2020" Specials - Expires 12/1 or until supplies run out.
    - Free shipping - Coupon "NOV-2020" (without the quotes) - Applies to most items in Pinside gameroommods store.
    - 1x J_M_ Pinball DMD acrylic frame kit - Regular $35 / This month $30 (free shipping with coupon NOV-2020)
    - 4x Pinball DMD acrylic frame kits - Regular $95 / This month $90 (free shipping with coupon NOV-2020)
    - 5x Pinball DMD acrylic frame kits - Regular $110 / This month $100 (free shipping with coupon NOV-2020)
    - 6x Pinball DMD acrylic frame kits - Regular $125 / This month $110 (free shipping with coupon NOV-2020)

Edit: Forgot the link to the store page. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02128-pinball-dmd-acrylic-frame-kit

1 week later
    #1368 3 years ago
    Quoted from JHPSWE:

Some pictures of my clock.
    Run-DMD mk2

Love Love Love this! Would be cool to have the flipper occasionally flip and the pop bumpers flash or even use real pops and have them pop... Gotta thing through how to do that...

#1374 3 years ago

In cooperation with our friends at Run-DMD.com we've secured a bunch of Run-DMD Pinball MK2's. Save on shipping to US and Canada and get faster delivery time by buying from gameroommods! The items that include the Run-DMD Pinball MK2 purchased before 12/1 will ship on or around December 15th for delivery in time for Christmas. Support for the Run-DMD products are still provided directly by Run-DMD.com. Go to https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02128-pinball-dmd-acrylic-frame-kit to see all of our Pinball DMD products.

Black November "2020" Specials - Expires 12/1 or until supplies run out.
    Free shipping - Coupon "NOV-2020" (without the quotes) - Applies to most items in Pinside gameroommods store. Expires 12/1.

1x Black Friday Special Complete Display $ 275.00 - Complete fully built and ready to use! Includes used Stern LED DMD, Run-DMD Pinball MK2 controller, Acrylic frame, and power supply.

1x Pinball DMD acrylic frame kit with 1x Run-DMD Pinball MK2 $ 170.00
    2x Pinball DMD acrylic frame kit with 2x Run-DMD Pinball MK2 $ 335.00
    3x Pinball DMD acrylic frame kit with 3x Run-DMD Pinball MK2 $ 490.00
    4x Pinball DMD acrylic frame kit with 4x Run-DMD Pinball MK2 $ 635.00
    5x Pinball DMD acrylic frame kit with 5x Run-DMD Pinball MK2 $ 770.00
    6x Pinball DMD acrylic frame kit with 6x Run-DMD Pinball MK2 $ 900.00

1x J_M_ Pinball DMD acrylic frame kit - Regular $35 / This month $30 (free shipping w/coupon)
    4x Pinball DMD acrylic frame kits - Regular $95 / This month $90 (free shipping w/coupon)
    5x Pinball DMD acrylic frame kits - Regular $110 / This month $100 (free shipping w/coupon)
    6x Pinball DMD acrylic frame kits - Regular $125 / This month $110 (free shipping w/coupon)

3 weeks later
    #1377 3 years ago

I have TWO Run-DMD kits available to ship in North America immediately. They can go out as early as today. Use the first line item on the store page to order them. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02128-pinball-dmd-acrylic-frame-kit

2 weeks later
    #1387 3 years ago
    Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

Any ideas on the far left vertical row?

The dark pixel in that column is dead. Replace the pixel module and the row should be fine. Rather than sharpie maybe something less permanent in case you do eventually replace the pixel you won't have to replace the good ones as well because of the sharpie. Maybe black electrical tape? I may be able to sell you a couple pixels but you do need soldering skills to remove and install a new pixel module.

2 months later
    #1390 3 years ago

A couple quick updates.
    1. Free shipping for acrylic frame kits with coupon "MADNESS" without the quotes for the next week. International orders PM me for a shipping quote and we will cover the first $10 in shipping. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02128-pinball-dmd-acrylic-frame-kit
    2. We're toying with doing a run of Medium RGB displays that were so popular in the past. Seemed to be the perfect pixel size and pitch for everyone. We could do an open frame like you've seen in the past or a closed frame style unlike the open frame ones you've seen in the past. The price will likely be $450 plus shipping. We've attached photos of our "Jumbo version" which is a similar closed frame style. Dimensions would be around 26"x7"x2". The photo shows the size in the front center of the DMD family photo attached. If you are interested PM me and indicate whether you'd prefer open or closed frame. No commitment to buy until if/when I open the preorders.
    3. We're also toying with doing a run of Large RGB displays as well. These could be open or closed frame style like the medium ones. The price will likely be $450 plus shipping. We've attached photos of our "Jumbo version" which is a similar closed frame style. Dimensions would be around 32"x8.5"x2". This one would be slightly larger than the one in the front center but smaller than the Jumbo display in the back. If you are interested PM me and indicate whether you'd prefer open or closed frame. No commitment to buy until if/when I open the preorders.
    4. Lastly we're thinking about making a Gigantic Yellow display for the gameroommods offices. We may be willing to create some kits while we are at it. Due to size will not have an acrylic front unless we can figure out how to get a piece big enough or design a seam into it to make it work... Size will be about 51.18" x 12.59" x depth TBD). Our guess is cost will be about $450 give or take $50. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released/page/28#post-5975129. Our version will likely loosely be based on the one listed in the post. If you are interested PM me. No commitment to buy until if/when I open the preorders.

DO NOT POST INTEREST TO THIS THREAD! PM me with your interest. I'll add another post if I decide to move forward with any of these runs.

20190106_155551 (resized).jpg20190106_155551 (resized).jpg20190106_155615 (resized).jpg20190106_155615 (resized).jpg20190106_155649 (resized).jpg20190106_155649 (resized).jpg20190403_200726 (resized).jpg20190403_200726 (resized).jpgf41379674df7fff6b8154b956fa6193e6a19b6cd.gif (resized).pngf41379674df7fff6b8154b956fa6193e6a19b6cd.gif (resized).png
    3 months later
    #1422 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer73:

Attached is a photo of the acrylic frame with the following dimensions. Does anyone know which type of LED panels fit these frames?

I'd ask the person you got the frame from which panels they used to design it. There's at least a chance you'd be able to find a match.

Quoted from Pinballer73:

Acrylic panel measures = 662mm (26-1/16") x 181mm (7-1/8")

This frame appears to be ideal for a P5 display

Quoted from Pinballer73:

Is there another size LED panel better suited to these dimensions?

Having built more than a couple of these looking at your measurements I'm thinking this frame was designed for a matrix style DMD (not SMD) due to the hole layouts. This means Red only or Red/Green/Yellow modules. Most of the vendors have stopped selling Matrix modules in favor of SMD RGB modules. Like someone else suggested you may want to drill your own holes.

P2.5 = 160 x 80 x2 = 320 x 80 display
    P3.0 = 192 x 96 x 2 = 394 x 96 display
    P4.0 = 256 x 128 x2 = 512 x 128 display
    P5.0 = 320 x 160 x2 = 640 x 160 display
    P6.0 = 192 x 192 x4 = 768 x 192 display
    P7.62 = 244 x 244 x4 = 976 x 244 display

Not totally related but I felt this might be useful to the people interested in these displays. Key message is order extras/spares...
    When you order 2 similarly sized panels at different times it's not a sure thing you will get the same thing. That's why when I order panels I order as many as I may want including spares... Here are a couple examples.
    1. For different orders of the same part from the same vendor you may not get the same hole layout even though the panels are the same size. I ordered the same part from the same vendor 1 month apart and got panels that were physically the same sized but completely different hole layouts. 2 months later I again ordered the same part and ended up getting hole layouts that matched my first order.
    2. You may not get the same LEDs. I've ordered a couple batches of panels over a year. Fortunately the holes lined up good but the LEDs were different so the white color was different on one type of panel compared to the other. I ended up with a spare module from each batch and built a display out of it only to find the white color on the left panel didn't match the right panel. For that reason one my personal displays is a "misfit". Most of the LED panel suppliers will actually tell you that they are not guaranteed to be the same and that you should order spares for future replacements at the same time.

#1426 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer73:

What exactly is a matrix style DMD?

A matrix display is made up of LEDs attached to an modules (usually 8x8) then these modules are soldered to a PCB. The Stern LED DMDs are an example of the Matrix style. An SMD is one big panel where the LEDs are mounted right to the PCB.
    Matrix (your frame is likely designed for a panel like this - 304mm*152mm = 308 x 152 display) : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000001509144.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.4.625f2afbWVinGN
    SMD: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000001188219.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.8148356.14.67e5444fiJnMK4
    Look closely to the matrix panel and you will see the black outer and the inner mounting posts. The panels your displays were designed for are likely not the same as this although you can't trust the photos.

Quoted from Pinballer73:

I did buy two 320 x 160mm LED panels as per the link below

The link in your earlier post isn't working.

Quoted from Pinballer73:

Identifying the right size isn't easy as none of the listings for the LED panels on Aliexpress contain overall actual dimensions that also include hole spacings. Perhaps it would be easier to buy new acrylic panels suited to the 320 X 160mm SMD panels?

I don't think I've ever seen the hole pattern listed so they can ship whatever they happen to get in. I can custom cut an acrylic frame to any hole spacing you have. PM me for details. To order a custom cut frame kit see https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02382-medium-rgb-led-clocks-displays-and-frame-kits. Here's a link to some of the other DMD accessories I have available. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/04742-dmd-accessories

Quoted from Pinballer73:

Anyone know where to buy these in the USA? I'd prefer to utilise the existing acrylic panels, but the costs of buying & shipping LED panels may actually be more expensive.

Adafruit sells some panels. They probably publish the hole spacings. Not sure if Digikey, mouser, or any of the other electronics suppliers would have them. You may get lucky with ebay but they will likely not have hole spacing listed and all too often they are coming from China as well.

Lastly I have a lot of stuff coming in to do a run of displays including a bunch of panels in transit from China. This includes 100x P5 modules (to make 50 displays), 14x P6 modules (to make 7 displays) and 36x P10 displays to make some very large displays. I will probably post details on ordering here once I get some built out. I won't list them for sale until they are ready to ship.

2 months later
    #1430 2 years ago

I now have quite the collection. I also have parts to make a P3 display but I can't get it to work so it's not in there... Tempted to order a couple P8 panels for myself so I have the whole collection!
    From top to bottom in the photo
    - Pinball (p2.5) DMD (Single color) - 15.0"W x 5.25"H x 1.75"D
    - Small (P4) RGB Run-DMD Clock/Display - 21.0"W x 6.0"H x 1.75"D
    - Medium (P5) RGB Run-DMD Clock/Display - 26.0"W x 7.0"H x 2.00"D
    - Large (P6) RGB Run-DMD Clock/Display - 31.0"W x 11.0"H x 1.75"D
    - Jumbo (P7.62) RGB Run-DMD Clock/Display - 39*.0"W x 15.25"H x 2.00"D
    - Giant (P10) Yellow Run-DMD Clock/Display - 51.5"W x 14"H x 1.75"D (+ Message - Prototype pictured is 51.5"W x 20"H x 1.75"D)

I have a bunch of displays and parts ready to ship. Not sure if I'll put them up for sale now or wait until I get back from vacation late this month...
    Pinball DMD kits - Been shipping these for a while but running low and not sure if I will restock.
    Medium (P5) RGB Clock/display - Run-DMD White versions - 11 ready to ship
    Medium (P5) RGB Clock/display - Programmable versions - 10 ready to ship
    Large (P6) RGB Clock/display - Run-DMD White versions - 2 ready to ship
    Giant (P10) - I will take special orders for pickup in Atlanta. PM for details - Hard to ship... The prototype pictured is not perfect but I don't have time to redo it until early October.

Pinball DMD Frame Kits - https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02128-pinball-dmd-acrylic-frame-kit
    Medium RGB Frame Kits - https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02382-medium-rgb-led-clocks-displays-and-frame-kits
    Complete RGB Displays - https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/05352-medium-large-rgb-led-clocks-display
    Misc DMD Display accessories - https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/04742-dmd-accessories
    20210914_125109 (resized).jpg20210914_125109 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #1438 2 years ago

The ribbon cable maybe but I wouldn't expect that for an older display. Does the controller go into the slow blink scan sequence.

#1440 2 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Does the controller go into the slow blink scan sequence.

There is a light on the Run-DMD controller. Is it blinking fast, slow, or once a second?

1 week later
    #1443 2 years ago
    Quoted from BOBCADE:

I have an early run, any way I can upgrade to have a remote? Sucks getting the ladder out for time changes

Shoot a message to Limpan . The at one time had an EXP-REMOTE that if they still have may be what you are looking for. Like pinballinreno said they aren't amazing but I find it useful enough to make it worthwhile. Fresh batteries and patience can make a difference.

1 month later
    #1452 2 years ago

Special Black Friday week pricing on some pre-made displays. Most are discounted $25 and include free domestic US shipping for an additional $35 savings. The Black Friday Pricing Availability column indicates when the lower pricing listed will go into effect at 10am on the dates listed IF there is available inventory at that time. Special pricing and free shipping ends at the end of November. Order and extensive product details at https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/05352-medium-large-rgb-led-clocks-display and https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02128-pinball-dmd-acrylic-frame-kit.

Brief description of Medium display options:
    Medium (P5) RGB LED Clock/Displays - 26.0"W x 7.0"H x 2.00"D - These are identical aside from the controller driving the content. Both programmable models can be upgraded to a Run-DMD with minimum effort by installing your own Run-DMD White controller. Extensive additional details including photos on my pinside listing for detailed photos at https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/05352-medium-large-rgb-led-clocks-display
    1.. Medium (P5) RGB LED Clock/Display - Run-DMD White - 8 available - This is the display that can easily show the amazing Pinball animations. Choose your color from 7 options.
    2. Medium (P5) RGB LED Clock/Display - Wireless Programmable - 6 available - This one can show nearly whatever you want wirelessly or USB program it to say in full color. It does NOT accept the Run-DMD animations. Pair it up with a Run-DMD version for a complete gameroom/location display package.is the display that can easily show the amazing Pinball animations -
    3 . Medium (P5) RGB LED Clock/Display - Basic Programmable - 8 available - This one can also show nearly whatever you want using a USB drive to program it to say in full color. It does NOT accept the Run-DMD animations. This version is typically chosen when you have a Run-DMD White and you need a wowking display to put it in.
    4. Medium (P5) RGB LED Clock/Display - Run-DMD/Wireless Programmable Combo 2-pack = 1x Medium (P5) RGB LED Clock/Display - Run-DMD White + 1x Medium (P5) RGB LED Clock/Display - Wireless Programmable
    5. Medium (P5) RGB LED Clock/Display - Run-DMD/Basic Programmable Combo 2-pack = 1x Medium (P5) RGB LED Clock/Display - Run-DMD White + 1x Medium (P5) RGB LED Clock/Display - Basic Programmable

e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpge112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpgpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #1454 2 years ago
    Quoted from Teo76:

Hi is possible shipping in Italy?

Yes in most situations I can accommodate international shipping. Please PM me to explore this further.

3 months later
    #1487 2 years ago

I wanted to go to Texas Pinball Festival 2022 I couldn't make it work. First time missing it in more than a decade. Regardless gameroommods is offering free shipping for most everything in our Pinside store at https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods. This includes -
    - Stern Rush Florescent Plastic protectors at https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/06577-stern-rush-fluorescent-protectors.
    - Medium DMD displays are $25 off and free shipping. Grab them at a discount before the price goes up! See the DMD displays at https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/05352-medium-large-rgb-led-clocks-display.
    - Pinball DMD Frame kits are free shipping with the coupon.

Free shipping is with coupon Texas-Ship until Monday and MUST be included at checkout.

1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #1520 1 year ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

While folks are posting about issues with their clocks, I have a Run DMD White that has never been able to maintain the time between power cycling..

What does it say at boot time? RTC OK? or something else?

#1525 1 year ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

I swapped it out with a fresh CR2032, still getting the "REPLACE BATTERY" message on boot.

Very high odds that the battery contacts are broken. They are easy to break when installing a battery. I suggested they put a set of through-hole holes in it as well since it's the thing most likely to have a problem as an SMD battery holder. It's hard to get to but I've successfully fixed it by reflowing some solder. At least once of at least a dozen times it had to go back for repair.

2 weeks later
    #1527 1 year ago
    Quoted from cookpins:

Are parts still being sold that would allow me to build one of these awesome DMD clocks?

I have the parts to build them except the Run-DMD at the following page.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02382-medium-rgb-led-clocks-displays-and-frame-kits

2 months later
    #1537 1 year ago
    Quoted from JMWRainwater:

I purchased this at SFGE from GameRoomMods last week. Thanks!

Did you figure it out? I was selling more than 1 type of display. You likely purchased a programmable display rather than a Run-DMD display. Reach out to me via PM if you want to discuss further. Been on the road a LOT so I've not been monitoring this thread a whole lot...

For the rest of you I've been offering a programmable display which includes an inexpensive controller that's designed as an easy upgrade to a Run-DMD White. It's not good as a clock and don't use the Run-DMD animations but can be programmed to show whatever you want. That's why I offer a combo pack that includes a Run-DMD display and a programmable controller display... Run-DMD everything it does and the programmable so you can show customized messages in your Barcade or gameroom.

3 months later
    #1546 1 year ago

Our yearly Black Friday DMD specials are live. Free shipping on all the displays on the page below including some amazing discounts on the programmable displays.
    - The "Basic Programmable" RGB display is used as a great USB programmable full color display OR a base to swap in your own Run-DMD White controller.
    - The "Wireless Programmable" RGB display is used as great USB and/or wireless programmable full color display OR a base to add your own Run-DMD White controller.
    - Down to our last display with a pre-installed Run-DMD controller in it so it's only being sold as a combo 2-pack with one of the above displays. This gives you the best of both worlds. A great programmable display to show messages to your guests at an amazing price and a ready-to-use complete Run-DMD clock.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/05352-medium-large-rgb-led-clocks-display

3 months later
    #1570 1 year ago
    Quoted from garman411:

Can someone guide me how to supply 5v dc to this board?

Once I get the hole layout measurements I'm going to design a frame kit for this. In this kit I'll provide the key cables and such to get this hooked up easily.

Looks like J4 is the power supply connection.

That's what I'm thinking. The power harness I will create for the kit I mention above will use these connections to both feed the Pinball DMD and to provide a power inlet for a barrel jack connector.

Quoted from cookpins:

I’ve tried. I spoke to Linus on here and he did respond but hasn’t had time to put it together I think.

I've reached out as well and since I buy them in bulk I would think that there was motivation. I still want to grab a bunch of whites from him. In any case I never heard back on it.

#1575 1 year ago
    Quoted from cookpins:

I'll be interested in hearing more on the kit to work with this alt board.

This would be nearly identical to our current offer but would change the wiring harness and the hole layout for the back panel. Probably a bit more expensive than the current pinball DMD kit because of the extra labor and materials for the more advanced wiring harness...

1 week later
    #1576 1 year ago

Looking for a volunteer who has this board to help me redesign the rear panel of my pinball DMD rear frame to help accommodate this board. Anyone want to help just PM me. The help I'd be looking for are some specific measurements for the corner holes and perhaps some measurements to other features to incorporate into the design...

For your help I'll send you a replacement rear panel designed for this board if you already purchased my kit. If you don't have one of my kits I'll give you a great deal on a kit with the redesigned rear panel.

#1579 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mank:

I can help with the measurements. I sent you a PM

Thanks to Mank for the offer. Great followup, etc. Unfortunately I wasn't clear what I was looking for and it turns out it wasn't what I needed.

Still looking for help getting the board/hole layout for the Boston Pinball Company board layout. My offer from my previous post is still open.

Quoted from ddebuss:

Looking for a volunteer who has this board to help me redesign the rear panel of my pinball DMD rear frame to help accommodate this board. Anyone want to help just PM me. The help I'd be looking for are some specific measurements for the corner holes and perhaps some measurements to other features to incorporate into the design...

For your help I'll send you a replacement rear panel designed for this board if you already purchased my kit. If you don't have one of my kits I'll give you a great deal on a kit with the redesigned rear panel.

#1583 11 months ago

Help us understand in which way it died. What are you seeing? Is the light on the controller doing anything?

2 weeks later
    #1585 11 months ago

I have acquired a Boston Pinball controller. I'm currently making a version of my Pinball DMD frame kit that will fit this board. I have the plastics all set. Just need to work on the power pieces. I will have them posted in the next day or two at https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02128-pinball-dmd-acrylic-frame-kit. It will still be a kit but it'll be a simple assemble and play kit...

#1587 11 months ago
    Quoted from cookpins:

Curious to know how this controller handles powerloss.

My guess it'll handle it the same way. Appears to be a direct clone of the Run-DMD with some hardware layout differences. It even shows the Run-DMD startup screen when booting up. Preloaded with B134.

I've created a version of my frame kit specifically for this controller. It does not have the holes for a Run-DMD controller and adds a power mount since the Boston Pinball Company controller doesnt have a barrel jack. Grab it at https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02128-pinball-dmd-acrylic-frame-kit.
    20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg

#1590 11 months ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

Modern LED DMDs run on 12V

The are actually 5v. You'll probably blow it up with 12v.

#1593 11 months ago
    Quoted from cookpins:

Is there a way to change the Stern DMDs that are red to the classic orange style dots? If not, what year did Stern switch to the red dots? Personally, I hate that red look.

As far as I know they only made red LED and a small number of green ones. Pretty sure they never made any other colors. The switch likely happened when they switched from plasma to LED. There may be an xpin 5v display in yellow/orange.

#1596 11 months ago
    Quoted from marksf123:

Is there someone who fixes the boards or are they just toast?

I have had some success fixing the DMDs. I haven't had to fix a Run-DMD although I do have a dead one I haven't bothered trying to fix yet. Which part you need fixed?

3 weeks later
    #1601 10 months ago
    Quoted from tslayer71:

Can you shut off the clock in the menu and just play dmd animations?

Looks like there are 3 places to impact whether clock shows:
    1. From the instruction manual it looks like you can set CLOCK SHADE to a minimal number and the clock won't show.
    2. ANIMATIONS >CLOCK OVERLAY > OFF
    3. CUSTOM MESSAGE > CLOCK POSITION > NO CLOCK

The last 2 impact whether a clock is shown during animations and messages. The 1st should turn it off all the time I think but it's not completely clear.

1 month later
    #1602 8 months ago

For those of you interested in RGB displays for your gameroom I thought I'd post a quick update to some of the current options that are readily available... I'm pretty sure the ebay links from Boston Pinball Company include pre-installed SD cards with the animations.

For a RGB "Run-DMD White" type display there is a new controller offering that's available. ebay.com link: itm

If you want a fully built display you can add this controller our pre-made programmable displays are ready for this controller.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/05352-medium-large-rgb-led-clocks-display

For a Pinball LED DMD type display there's a new controller offering there as well. ebay.com link: itm

We are offering a Pinball LED DMD kit designed to work with this controller. You will still need a LED DMD to go with it. Choose the Boston Pinball Edition.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02128-pinball-dmd-acrylic-frame-kit

Note - We are working with the Boston Pinball Company on the frame kits for these (except Rpi2Dmd). At the moment we are offering the frame kits them through our Pinside store but we may move to offering these only directly through Boston Pinball Company. Our partnership is still evolving so it may be that we offer fully assembled displays at some point but more likely Boston Pinball Company will be selling fully assembled display using our frame kits.

We are also offering an RGB display kits designed for the Rpi2Dmd project. This is a PERFECT compliment to a Run-DMD display for your gameroom AND has a lot of FULL COLOR pinball animations. The project currently has over 10,000+ animations including arcade, console, and pinball animations. The Run-DMD has WAY more Pinball animations but the full color ones that are there are pretty great. The video linked to this post is not our hardware but I've linked it so you can see what a Rpi2Dmd display might show.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/08019-rpi2dmd-rgb-led-clocks-displays-and-frame-kits

2 weeks later
    #1606 8 months ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Does anyone have the 3d print files for the jumbo dots clock configuration brackets? RunDMD had them on their site when I bought stuff like 2-3 weeks ago but I didn’t download them and now they are gone.

Thought I had them but it turns out I don't. I suppose I figured I'd just make my own since that's kinda my thing... I've PMd you directly to see if I can help out...

#1608 8 months ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Thought I had them but it turns out I don't.

Wayback machine to the rescue. These may be what you are looking for. https://run-dmd.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/HUB12brackets.zip

#1610 8 months ago
    Quoted from RikeIsland:

I got 2 P4 instead of P5 panels.

We have a frame kits for pretty much any panel you can buy... This includes the P4 and P5 LED modules if you need it. Just order the P5 kit and the MTO: CUSTOM frame/hole layout - Requires an above kit line item. After the order we will be in touch to verify your LED module mounting distances before we make and ship the frame kit.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02382-medium-rgb-led-clocks-displays-and-frame-kits

We OEMing the kits that Boston Pinball is setting up to sell including the P4 and P5 kits.

#1612 8 months ago
    Quoted from RikeIsland:

Would it be beneficial to go with the P5 or would the P4 be ok? I know they have the same pixel density but the P4 is smaller. I didn’t know if they would look off in your frame being smaller.

P4 panels use SMD2121 pixels
    P5 panels use SMD2121 or SMD3528 pixels
    A SMD2121 pixels is 2.1mm x 2.1mm. A SMD3528 pixel is 3.5mm x 2.8mm.
    Personally I like the spacing, pixel size, and density of the P5 SMD3528 panels but I could see why someone would want a smaller P4 SMD2121 display. Personally I don't see why you'd choose the P5 SMD2121 option when the P5 SMD3528 is available.

4 months later
    #1616 4 months ago

Gameroommods is considering a run of Medium RGB DMDs for the holiday season. For details and to add your name to the list check the following forum postSince we aren't pre-ordering everything we can order just what we need and therefore keep the costs to a minimum. These may be the lowest prices we've ever offered these displays for.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-display-gameroommods-holiday-2023-preorder-list#post-7883562

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ddebuss.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released?tu=ddebuss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.