(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    PacDotsmall (resized).jpg
    LEDarcade2 (resized).jpg
    1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    52978E50-7D5F-4414-B1A7-D67B2D69D694 (resized).jpeg
    Run dmc (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0074 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3959 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210925_171305935.MP (resized).jpg
    HUB08 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD (resized).JPG
    669C1ED9-72C7-47F8-889A-E8731D50942E.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #611 Jan 2016 BOM suggestions from j_m (dated materials) Posted by j_m_ (8 years ago)

Post #760 tips from j_m on setting the display type on his builds Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #779 switch setup for different colors on j_m's builds Posted by gweempose (7 years ago)

Post #821 Release of the Run-DMD Pico Posted by Limpan (7 years ago)

Post #847 Video of Run-DMD Pico assembly Posted by tqln (6 years ago)

Post #902 Link to v3.52 menu explanations Posted by Puffdanny (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damien.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#948 5 years ago

I'm about to buy a board and DMD/PSU, but I'm curious to know where I can get a frame.

This one looks pretty sweet:

Also, is it better to go with an Edge or White model?

Cheers

#951 5 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

More
    j_m_ has said he may make the latest version of the acrylic frame available on ponoko.com.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-check-run-dmd-clocks-absolutely-the-final-batch/page/2#post-4440121

Looks like he is offering the fully assembled clock. I'd prefer to actually make it myself.

Is there anywhere I can just get a case from?

#954 5 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Need a run done on "white" board/HUB075 Frames!
    Btw, dam fast shipping across the Pond for the board! Just waiting on my displays to arrive so I can play with my new toy

What about this one?

#957 5 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

There are files available on ponoko now...
    https://www.ponoko.com/design-your-own/products/run-dmd-frame-set-rev-2-0-1-set--12565
    As mentioned they will likely need editing to meet the panels you buy.

I'm not familiar with that site. At first glance it looks like you're just buying the template. Is there an option to have it made?

#961 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

those are my files, but I couldn't tell which LED panels that they fit. they look like they are from the first batch where I just offered the acrylic and hardware (meaning those panels are no longer produced.
    and even worse, if they are the panels that I think they are, they are way too small (in both height and width) and would not accommodate the current LED panels used by clocks that I've assembled over the past 2 years
    the new panels are almost 2" wider and a little over one 1" taller than these

Pretty sure in this video he is using the Edge board and the following displays:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/F3-0-RG-Indoor-Dot-Matrix-Module-64X32-dots-with-hub08-size-is-256X128mm-P4-led/32664025872.html

#963 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

you could be correct. I know that the new displays are using P5 elements (which explains why I needed to increase the size of the acrylic
    the nice part of those LED panels is that with an EDGE board, if you turn on both the green & red elements, the amber that it produces is spot on for the old b/w and d/e plasma dmd's

Anyone know roughly what it would cost to have the frame made at Ponoko?

2 weeks later
    #965 5 years ago

About to order an Edge board and HUB08 displays.

Anyone know where I can get a frame for this?

#983 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

Heh - I said *about*. I guess I mis-remembered the RunDMD - I thought it was $150ish. If you don’t order the anti-glare acrylic you’ll save some. You could also go with no acrylic and save a lot but you would need to order the frame as the exact dimensions of the panels and would lose the outer row of dots.

Is the frame wall mountable?

#985 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

Yes - absolutely, but instead of screwing the RunDMD board to the raised back of the panel, you’ll need to affix it directly to the back of the panel with double sided tape (like VHB). When affixed with the screw the ribbon cable/power block extrudes by a couple of mm.
    Alternatively you could do no acrylic and it would sit deeper in the frame.

Would this work with the Edge board and HUB08 panels?

#993 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_M:

Laser cut a test back frame today using scrap 1/8" plywood and the holes all miraculously lined up the first time! I'm planning on using black acrylic for the back panel but due to the cost of acrylic sheets larger than 24" want to make sure it's 100% good before cutting. Now I just need to wait for the hex standoffs to arrive.

Planning to sell any of these?

1 week later
    #997 5 years ago

Just want to give props for this frame idea, it's awesome. No offense, but I think it blows away the Plexi+ standoffs frame idea. This looks so clean, and only takes 10 min or less to put together. A very "Finished" look, absolutely love it...Thanks again! Highly recommend!

Is that an Edge or White board?

1 week later
    #1017 5 years ago

Started working on my clock tonight. Have everything plugged in, bit seems the connectors to the Run DMD board will need to be spliced and plugged in by raw wire?

If so, does anyone know what gauge these are so I can strip the ends?

Thanks!

IMG_20180726_003826 (resized).jpgIMG_20180726_003826 (resized).jpgIMG_20180726_003924 (resized).jpgIMG_20180726_003924 (resized).jpg

#1018 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

not in your pretty coloured money (notice the unnecessary 'u'? <-
    I'll look at posting the frames on ponoko.com as a purchase-able item once I submit my order for this batch and the relay the information here (link and pricing)

You asked me to send you measurements when I got it all together.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks again!

IMG_20180726_005955 (resized).jpgIMG_20180726_005955 (resized).jpg
    #1020 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I asked for the measurements (center to center) between the studs on a single panel (both the height and width) in millimeters as well as the distance of the studs center to center (again in millimeters) between the 2 panels as they sit side-by-side together (where you have the small ribbon cable connecting them.
    please provide the these 3 values in a pm and I will be more than happy to try and assist you

I'll get that to you.

Can anyone comment on the end that goes into the Run DMD board? Do I need to cut the connectors off and just use raw wire?

#1023 5 years ago

Just want to give props for this frame idea, it's awesome. No offense, but I think it blows away the Plexi+ standoffs frame idea. This looks so clean, and only takes 10 min or less to put together. A very "Finished" look, absolutely love it...Thanks again! Highly recommend!

Was just looking at the pics of your frame and the one pic you had from the back of it, where the bottom side (solder) was shown.

Looks like each display is in a black plastic frame?

My board just looks bare like this...

Am I missing something?

IMG_20180726_003826 (resized).jpgIMG_20180726_003826 (resized).jpg
    #1024 5 years ago

Got it all connected and running, but only shows time and does not cycle through animations?

Are they preloaded on the SD card, or do I have to download them?

IMG_20180727_195638 (resized).jpgIMG_20180727_195638 (resized).jpg
    #1025 5 years ago

Am I missing the animation files?

MVIMG_20180727_220829 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20180727_220829 (resized).jpg
    #1027 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

It doesn’t come pre-loaded with animations. Google run-dmd b134 and you’ll find the image file and instructions.

Yes, the ones we ordered had a black frame on the backside. You may still be able to get a metal frame to work, but you would need to put a non-conducting layer between the metal tensioners and the back of those panels.

Yup, found the image after writing that last message.

Can you send a link to the displays you bought?

2 weeks later
    #1036 5 years ago

I plugged in my Run DMD clock today, and noticed it was running without the red/black wires being connected to the Run DMD board.

The ribbon cables was connected, but the black/red came lose.

Can someone explain how it still displays without this.

Is my Run DMD pulling a iRobot on me, and it's going to now turn against me and all of humanity?

8 months later
    #1103 5 years ago

My HUB08 panels for the Edge board now boot up with just a couple of lines running across the screen.

Anyone know if this can be resolved?

Otherwise, does anyone know if either of these panels would work with the Edge board or have a link to a panel that would?

ebay.com link: 1x 64x32 led display module dot matrix p4 smd led module P4 indoor led screen

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32650818413.html?pid=808_0000_0109&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32650818413&aff_trace_key=4e9178f240fa4fe8b74ad97979fd5146-1555908959483-01644-UneMJZVf&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=1777amp-EKFGZMM_5vBNFSUT4ozU5A1555908970629

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damien.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released?tu=damien and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.