(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    PacDotsmall (resized).jpg
    LEDarcade2 (resized).jpg
    1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    52978E50-7D5F-4414-B1A7-D67B2D69D694 (resized).jpeg
    Run dmc (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0074 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3959 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210925_171305935.MP (resized).jpg
    HUB08 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD (resized).JPG
    669C1ED9-72C7-47F8-889A-E8731D50942E.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #611 Jan 2016 BOM suggestions from j_m (dated materials) Posted by j_m_ (8 years ago)

Post #760 tips from j_m on setting the display type on his builds Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #779 switch setup for different colors on j_m's builds Posted by gweempose (7 years ago)

Post #821 Release of the Run-DMD Pico Posted by Limpan (7 years ago)

Post #847 Video of Run-DMD Pico assembly Posted by tqln (6 years ago)

Post #902 Link to v3.52 menu explanations Posted by Puffdanny (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballer73.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1062 5 years ago

Hoping someone can help me solve this problem.

I purchased a complete clock kit from j_m_ just before Christmas which worked fine for a few weeks, now it randomly shuts down at least once a day. I have the sleep timer set for midnight and the wake for 5am. The clock keeps the right time. At least once a day, during the day the screen goes blank, sometimes the red LED stays lit on the rundmd board, other times it's not. The powersupply LED remains lit at all times and its output is always 5.4V DC.

When the display goes out the only way I can get it going again is to switch off at the wall and wait until the powersupply voltage drops to zero before it will reboot. Simply switching off then straight back on again does not bring it back to life.

Any ideas as to what's wrong? It is driving me nuts.

#1064 5 years ago
    Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

Don’t use the sleep timer. I’ve had a long discussion with the board guys. I’ve got mine on a lamp timer. Also, try reseating your sd card.

It's just done it again just a few minutes ago. You think the sleep timer causes this issue?

#1066 5 years ago
    Quoted from nitrojcrawf:

I was told it is buggy and to not use it. They were hoping to further developed it in the future. Mine would turn off but not back on unless I unplugged it. On timer now and working fine. Try it and report back.

Ok done. I set my sleep and wake time both to 00:00. Will report back on how it performs.

You say on timer now and working fine. What did you do to make it work correctly?

#1071 5 years ago

Unfortunately, no luck with doing that, still shuts down. Anything else to try?

I set the sleep and wake timers for the same interval of 00:00, display shut down with a sold red LED lit on the run-dmd board.

#1073 5 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

I'd try a new power supply, voltage may be right but I wonder if the amperage is...

Hmmm, could be. However, it's the same power supply j_m_ ships with his kits.

It ran longer this time before the run-dmd board locked up with the red LED on steady and nothing on the display.

20190126_185953 (resized).jpg20190126_185953 (resized).jpg
    #1074 5 years ago

3 times today so far, rapidly becoming very annoying. No red led at all this time on tye run-dmd board. Power supply measured a constant 5.4V DC each time. Starting to think the run-dmd board is faulty. Any further ideas?

#1078 5 years ago

Thanks for the reply Limpan . Please point me in the right location of the file/info to flash the SD card and I'll get right onto it and report back. Thanks again.

#1080 5 years ago

Ok I've download the following and need some help as to where to from here...

RunDMD_fw_v3.54.zip
    RunDMD_B134.imgc
    HDDRawCopy1.10Setup

...and I have a 32GB SanDisk Ultra MicroSD card. The original card that was supplied by j_m_ must be written in a language foreign to Windows10 as all my PC wants to do is format it when inserted. I plugged it in, in an attempt to to see the arrangement of the existing files, as I wasn't able to access that information I removed the card.

When Limpan states "have you tried flashing the image file to another SD card", I assume he means to copy the RunDMD_B134.imgc image to another card? So I used HDDRawCopy1.10 to do just that. Selected the SOURCE file of RunDMD_B134i.imgc, selected the TARGET as the USB SD Card and away it went copying the files to the SD card. Once completed I removed the SD card and inserted it into the run-dmd pcb and switched it on. Came up displaying horizontal dashes across the screen and went no further. Powered down and reinserted the original card and the clock booted up fine.

What am I doing wrong? Was my assumption correct and doing what I described above correct? If not, please help me by providing some instruction as to what is required to flash the image as limpan tells me to do.

#1083 5 years ago

Thanks I wasn't aware the instructions at the link you provided j_m_ existed. I just attempted to follow them using HDDRawCopy and the firmware file RunDMD_B134_DMD-C.imgc and received the following error when attempting to write to the card...

28-Jan-19 3:34:25 PM
    28-Jan-19 3:34:25 PM HDD Raw Copy Tool 1.10; http://hddguru.com
    28-Jan-19 3:34:25 PM * * * * * IMPORTANT: DURING THE DUPLICATION PROCESS
    28-Jan-19 3:34:25 PM ALL DATA ON TARGET WILL BE IRREVERSIBLY OVERWRITTEN!
    28-Jan-19 3:34:25 PM Source: [0] IMAGE of Multiple Flash Reader 1.05 [512.75 MB]
    28-Jan-19 3:34:25 PM Target: [3] Generic USB SD Reader 1.00 [15.59 GB]
    28-Jan-19 3:34:30 PM Locking device...
    28-Jan-19 3:34:30 PM Copying...
    28-Jan-19 3:34:30 PM Write Error occurred at offset 0 (1117)
    28-Jan-19 3:34:30 PM Cannot write to target, aborting...
    28-Jan-19 3:34:30 PM Average speed:
    28-Jan-19 3:34:30 PM Operation terminated at offset 0 LBA 0

#1085 5 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

Do you have any other SD card you could test with? I'm starting to think there could be a batch of faulty SD cards we're dealing with here. Hardware has been the same so long without issues like these, and freezing problems seems to occur for people bought from the same batch(?).
    Would be great if you could test another SD card brand and let me know how that works out.

Ok, just done that. Flashed the image to a SanDisk Ultra 32GB MicroSD, installed and the clock booted. I'll leave it running and report back when it faults. Bed time here in Australia, will be 8hrs or so before I can provide an update. For the record the card supplied with my kit was a Kingston 16GB MicroSD card.

#1086 5 years ago

My first glance at the clock this morning, 6:40am and still functioning correctly! I'll let it go for few hours more with the default/flashed settings before making any user specific adjustments. Things are looking up.

#1087 5 years ago

Clock has been functioning perfectly for 16+hrs since installing the new card. Also seeing a LOT of animations I've never seen before.

Just made some changes to the default settings including sleep and wake times. I'll monitor how it performs from here and report back. If it's still functioning correctly in 24hrs, I'll try to reprogram the old card again and hopefully narrow the issue down to it. Although it seems as though that may well be the problem. Thanks again to those that have provide help, especially jm and limpin.

#1089 5 years ago

Another successful run! Since changing some of the default settings yesterday, the clock is still fully operational. It went to sleep and woke up at the preset times and the DMD animation frames are running smoothly. Seems as though the SD card was the problem. Next step is to try and resurrect the original card to fully working status. Will report back once I've done that.

#1092 5 years ago

My clock has been running perfectly for days now, sleeping and waking at the set times and the animations are running smoothly.

In an attempt to provide some help to others experiencing the same issue described above, I installed the original card the same problems arised shortly after. I then attempted to reprogram the original card again using the HDD Raw Copy Tool and once again got the same error.

This time I did a full format of the card in the Windows 10 environment, just to completely erase the card. Then ran HDD Raw Copy Tool again and this time it successfully programmed the card. Installed it back into the clock and powered it on, so far so good, keeping the correct time and all animations are running smoothly.

I'll leave it for 24hrs and keep an eye on it when I can. If it functions without fault, I'll change from some of the default settings and set the sleep and wake times.

2 weeks later
    #1094 5 years ago

Update. My clock had been working flawlessly until this afternoon where it had stopped displaying anything on-screen as per the previous issues. Did it twice before I swapped out the SanDisk card and installed the original Kingston card which I'd reflashed. I guess this rules out the type of card being the culprit. Hopefully the designers if this awesome clock can resolve the issue for us.

#1095 5 years ago

Another thing I've noticed is everytime I insert a newly flashed card, I always see some animations I've never seen before. As time passes I could swear I see some animations fairly regularly.

2 months later
    #1109 4 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

I have had this clock for a little while and currently not working (turns off when it wants, doesn't turn on when it should, freezes mid image) but all roads seem to lead to reflashing the sd card but I am a mac user so how do I do this when it appears you need a windows machine to do this?

PM sent with offer of help.

8 months later
    #1161 4 years ago

Try a stanard Windows disk format of the memory card first. I had the same issue.

1 year later
    #1419 2 years ago

Hoping someone can help me please, I have a problem I can't solve. I purchased new acrylic clock kit frame from a user here on Pinside, with a view to build a clock for my friend.

I went ahead and bought the RunDMD board along with ordering the LED panels from AliExpress....

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32707954744.htmlspm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.65144c4dlcyH3L .

Unfortunately the LED panels are slightly too big to fit the acrylic frames and the mounting holes don't line up. I've been through all the LED panels on AliExpress, but cannot for the life of me identify compatible panels. Basically there are 3 types available, 320 x 160mm, 256 x 128mm and 160 x 80mm and none appear to line up with the mounting holes in the acrylic panel as described below.

Attached is a photo of the acrylic frame with the following dimensions. Does anyone know which type of LED panels fit these frames?

Acrylic panel measures = 662mm (26-1/16") x 181mm (7-1/8")

the distance between hole centres on the red line = 130mm (5-1/8")

the distance between hole centres on the yellow line = 218mm (8-9/16")

the distance between hole centres on the green line = 288mm (11-5/16")

the distance between hole centres on the blue line = 127mm (5")
    c85b44b1639e69b473fd9a2b78d28970c5ece4dd (resized).jpgc85b44b1639e69b473fd9a2b78d28970c5ece4dd (resized).jpg

#1421 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

drill out the mounting holes?
    dremel is your friend on these custom clocks.

I should have added to my original post that the 320 x 160 LED panels are just slightly too tall to fit between the standoffs that support the front and back acrylic panels.

The next size down, the 256 x 128 LED panels would fit if new holes were drilled, but it seems like a waste of space behind the acrylic panels.

Is there another size LED panel better suited to these dimensions?

#1425 2 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

I'd ask the person you got the frame from which panels they used to design it. There's at least a chance you'd be able to find a match.

This frame appears to be ideal for a P5 display

Thanks for the detailed information ddebuss much appreciated. I did try that option, unfortunately I wasn't able to get the information needed.

Quoted from ddebuss:

Having built more than a couple of these looking at your measurements I'm thinking this frame was designed for a matrix style DMD (not SMD) due to the hole layouts. This means Red only or Red/Green/Yellow modules. Most of the vendors have stopped selling Matrix modules in favor of SMD RGB modules. Like someone else suggested you may want to drill your own holes.
    P2.5 = 160 x 80 x2 = 320 x 80 display
    P3.0 = 192 x 96 x 2 = 394 x 96 display
    P4.0 = 256 x 128 x2 = 512 x 128 display
    P5.0 = 320 x 160 x2 = 640 x 160 display
    P6.0 = 192 x 192 x4 = 768 x 192 display
    P7.62 = 244 x 244 x4 = 976 x 244 display

What exactly is a matrix style DMD? A regular DMD as found in newer Stern machines? Or an older style LED panel, prior to the SMD style you've listed above?

I did buy two 320 x 160mm LED panels as per the link below, however the width of those panels is slightly too large to fit between the standoff posts that secure the front and back acrylic panels of the clock.

Identifying the right size isn't easy as none of the listings for the LED panels on Aliexpress contain overall actual dimensions that also include hole spacings. Perhaps it would be easier to buy new acrylic panels suited to the 320 X 160mm SMD panels? Anyone know where to buy thesein the USA? I'd prefer to utilise the existing acrylic panels, but the costs of buying & shipping LED panels may actually be more expensive.

Quoted from ddebuss:

Not totally related but I felt this might be useful to the people interested in these displays. Key message is order extras/spares...

When you order 2 similarly sized panels at different times it's not a sure thing you will get the same thing. That's why when I order panels I order as many as I may want including spares... Here are a couple examples.

1. For different orders of the same part from the same vendor you may not get the same hole layout even though the panels are the same size. I ordered the same part from the same vendor 1 month apart and got panels that were physically the same sized but completely different hole layouts. 2 months later I again ordered the same part and ended up getting hole layouts that matched my first order.

2. You may not get the same LEDs. I've ordered a couple batches of panels over a year. Fortunately the holes lined up good but the LEDs were different so the white color was different on one type of panel compared to the other. I ended up with a spare module from each batch and built a display out of it only to find the white color on the left panel didn't match the right panel. For that reason one my personal displays is a "misfit". Most of the LED panel suppliers will actually tell you that they are not guaranteed to be the same and that you should order spares for future replacements at the same time.

This is very good information, infact some of the listings on Aliexpress state similar advice.

8 months later
    #1506 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pwedge:

Alright. Curiosity got the best of me. I have a few tools that I have been working on that have pretty much reverse engineered the Run-DMD image format and allow me to put my own raw, gif, or video clips into a RunDMD image. I have used these to create some of my own animations, and I plan on open sourcing them once I clean things up a bit more. The goal of these tools was to allow me to add some of the animations from games that I like to my personal clock that are missing from the B134 image that I have been using. This includes games like Party Zone, Safe Cracker, and Tommy. For reference, the B134 image is completely missing the following 90s Williams/Bally/Data East/Sega games that have 128x32 displays:
    - Williams/Bally
    - Gilligan's Island
    - Safe Cracker
    - SlugFest (questionable inclusion, but WPC-based)
    - Tales of the Arabian Nights
    - Party Zone
    - Data East
    - Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends
    - Guns N' Roses
    - Jurassic Park
    - Last Action Hero (added in B237, see below)
    - Star Wars
    - Tales from the Crypt
    - The Who's Tommy Pinball Wizard
    - WWF Royal Rumble
    - Sega
    - Apollo 13 (added in B237 image, see below)
    - Godzilla
    - Golden Cue
    - Goldeneye
    - Harley-Davidson
    - Independence Day
    - Lost In Space
    - South Park
    - Space Jam
    - Starship Troopers
    - The Lost World Jurassic Park
    - The Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition
    - The X Files
    - Twister
    - Viper Night Drivin
    Sorry. I didn't dig in to see what is missing from the Stern games.
    One of the tools that I wrote extracts all of the existing images from a Run-DMD image to easily readable JSON files. These are organized per game. I just used this to compare the B134 vs B237 image. The deltas that I see in the B134 image vs the B237 image are:
    - Addition of Apollo 13 animations (10 animations)
    - Addition of Last Action Hero animations (66 animations)
    - Addition of one more Terminator 2 animation (just the animation of the T2 slamming together)
    So, basically the B237 supersedes the B134 image in every way. I see absolutely *nothing* that is lost by using the B237 image.
    For any of you programmer types that are skilled at UX design (not me!), here is a small snippet of the JSON format that my tools produces. If you want to discuss creating an animation editor for these files, please PM me:
    {
    "header": {
    "global_id": 129,
    "flags": "Enable",
    "num_bitmaps": 14,
    "frames_addr": 8950784,
    "total_frames": 56,
    "display_width": 128,
    "display_height": 32,
    "clock_type": "ClockBehind",
    "intro_transition": "Disable",
    "outro_transition": "Disable",
    "clock_size": "ClockSmall",
    "clock_position_x": 0,
    "clock_position_y": 0,
    "clock_start_frame": 0,
    "clock_end_frame": 0,
    "unknown_byte19": 0,
    "name": "BIG_BANG_BAR_004"
    },
    "frames": [
    {
    "duration": 100,
    "bitmap": [
    "|00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000|",
    "|0aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa00111111111111000aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa001111111111111111100aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0aaaaaaaaaaaaaa001111111111331113ff3110aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0aaaaaaaaaaaaa0111111113f310f303ffff3110aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0aaaaaaaaaaaa0111133311ffff0f303ff0ff1110aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0aaaaaaaaaaa011113fff110fff00f00f100111110aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0aaaaaaaaaa01f311ffff310ffff0f10ff01f311110aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0aaaaaaaaa03f3f30ff0ff30ff0fff303f101f111110aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0aaaaaaaaa0f313f03f00f30ff00fff01ff01ff111110aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0aaaaa00a01f003f03f03ff03f000ff303ff0f3111110aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0aaaa011001ff0f303fffff00ff000ff003ff301111110aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0aaa0133f011fff000ff00f10ff100ff100000011111100000aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0aaa03f0f0f0fff300f100ff03f10000100000111113333333000aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0aaa03f00110f11f103f100f100010001113ffffffffffffffff300aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0aaa01300110330ff00f100010013fffffffffffffffffffffffff10aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0aaa0130ff110f1f30001111fffffffff1000000000000000111ff30aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0aaa013f0f1103ff0000fffffff30000001333333333333333313f0aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0aaaa03fff1100003ffffff3000013333333333333333333333310aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0aaaa01ff301133ffff30001333333333311111111111000333310aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0aaaaa000013ffff000113333333111111111111111110a033330aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0aaaa0003ffff300133333331111111111111111111110033330aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0aaa0133fff0011333331111113ff01111f3011fff010013310aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0aa033fff00133333111111111f00f011f0f011f00f0033100aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0a03fff1013333311111111113f03f01f30f01f001f03100aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|003fff1033331111111111111f0ff001f00f01f01f0a00aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|01fff1033330011111111111ff00f0fffff301fff0aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|00f31133330aa01111111111f001f01f00f00f00ff0aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0a01113333000a001111111f00ff00f001f01f0a0ff0aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0aa00133333330110111111111111111111110aaa00aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|0aaaa00133333333300111111111111111100aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa0|",
    "|00000000000000000000000111111111000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000|"
    ]
    },
    ... (more items of {duration, bitmap} form here
    ]
    }
    Pinside's forum will likely crush the formatting above, but a JSON reader won't care.
    In the "bitmap" above, value 0x0 through 0xf represent dot intensity for a 128x32 pixel image, except that 0xa represents transparency when clock_type in the header is "ClockBehind". In those cases, the time is shown through from all pixels that have a value of 0xa.
    I have my own frame editor that I created to work with the JSON files from above (browser based, pure Javascript), but it is not as intuitive as I would like. I would love it if the community would create something better that all of us could benefit from and ultimately use to have a complete image with all DMD-based games. I will hopefully be open-sourcing my work within the next few weeks. I will not be providing any binary images or JSON files, but hopefully the larger community can find a way to create more comprehensive images and host them somewhere for the benefit of everyone.
    Side note: When I was working on my tooling that created images I wasted a *month* trying to determine why my tool was creating an image that would work for a while and then show corrupt images. The short story is that there was nothing wrong with my tool. I was using a new SD card for testing (Microcenter 32GB micro SD) that was causing the issue. What is bizarre is that if I did a binary comparison on my computer of the micro SD card before and after corruption was seen on the RunDMD, there would be *zero* bytes different. Only after changing to a name brand, reliable card (Sandisk High Endurance 32GB micro SD), I have been running with my custom images for months now without a single issue. Lesson learned...a $3 price difference between cards is not work the potential headache. Go with a name brand, high reliability/endurance card and sleep easy!

Wow, great work Pwedge ! Will you make available an image that contains all the missing DMD animations? I'd really like to upgrade my clock to include them.

3 weeks later
    #1522 1 year ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

Thought I remembered it always saying "RTC: OK" but I just fired it up for the first time in a while and it said "RTC: REPLACE BATTERY." I swapped it out with a fresh CR2032, still getting the "REPLACE BATTERY" message on boot.
    Wondering now if it's always said "REPLACE BATTERY.. Maybe I need to reflow some solder around that battery holder?

One of my two clocks has that same issue, in fact it had it right out of the box. Swapped batteries with a known good one and the problem still exists. I had the same initial idea of testing & reflowing solder at the battery holder, only problem is, it's not accessible due to the multilayered PCB construction. Frustrating, especially when the board is setup to sleep at night, as it doesn't automatically wake/turn on in the morning.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballer73.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released?tu=Pinballer73 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.