(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    PacDotsmall (resized).jpg
    LEDarcade2 (resized).jpg
    1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    52978E50-7D5F-4414-B1A7-D67B2D69D694 (resized).jpeg
    Run dmc (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0074 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3959 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210925_171305935.MP (resized).jpg
    HUB08 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD (resized).JPG
    669C1ED9-72C7-47F8-889A-E8731D50942E.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #611 Jan 2016 BOM suggestions from j_m (dated materials) Posted by j_m_ (8 years ago)

Post #760 tips from j_m on setting the display type on his builds Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #779 switch setup for different colors on j_m's builds Posted by gweempose (7 years ago)

Post #821 Release of the Run-DMD Pico Posted by Limpan (7 years ago)

Post #847 Video of Run-DMD Pico assembly Posted by tqln (6 years ago)

Post #902 Link to v3.52 menu explanations Posted by Puffdanny (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Irishbastard.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#236 9 years ago

Still trying to justify this...Dam is it cool tho

3 years later
    #909 5 years ago

Ok, have been eyeing this for a few years, thinking of pulling the trigger...

So I just need to grab the "white" PCB, and associated displays, and a ps....then download the animation/upload to SD card? Then be up and running?

#911 5 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Ok, have been eyeing this for a few years, thinking of pulling the trigger...
    So I just need to grab the "white" PCB, and associated displays, and a ps....then download the animation/upload to SD card? Then be up and running?

So....yes/no/maybe? Ready to order the "white board" and AliExpress associated DMDs...Just want to make sure, since it's been a while since I've contemplated this..

#913 5 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

Yes, exactly, you'll need:
    * Run-DMD White (or Edge)
    * 2 pcs. HUB75 displays (or HUB08 if you choose Edge over White)
    * 10A PSU linked in the FAQ over at run-dmd.com
    * Some kind of frame to fit everything in.
    * Flash the SD card with the latest B134 image-

Thank You

#914 5 years ago

Last question before I order, what exactly is the difference between the "edge" and "white" boards? I understand they use different display panels, but what are the benefits, positive and negative of either?

#919 5 years ago

Ordered everything last night, Thanks Again!

#921 5 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

Could you share how much it all costs for the parts. Just wondering if it is better than buying it all together.

I believe it was around $240ish:
    - "White" PCB (PayPal added more than I expected, but my credit card wouldn't allow international purchase for some reason), DMD panels from AliExpress, and grabbed the PS on eBay as it was cheaper (with same specs). Going to figure out a wood frame, no frame, or some sort of custom setup (Don't think anyone is selling frames anymore??)

#926 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

More
    The frame template is available for download and you can order it made from ponoko.
    https://www.ponoko.com/

I saw that while googling, but didn't know which fits the "white" board and HUB75 display(Four different frame files are listed), and how to go about ordering. (Looks like you need to open an account and add the plans)

1 week later
    #953 5 years ago

Need a run done on "white" board/HUB075 Frames!

Btw, dam fast shipping across the Pond for the board! Just waiting on my displays to arrive so I can play with my new toy

#955 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

What about this one?

Yup, that's a finished clock, nice.....But was looking for just those frames, available for purchase for those of us who can put our own clocks together....

2 weeks later
    #977 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

So, rather than trying to search out the correct acrylic SVG files, I went a different route altogether:

A matte black metal frame with a non glare acrylic. I think it’s a nice clean look and is an easier assembly too.

Where did you get the parts to build that frame, how did you have the Plexi cut? I like the look of that, great work!

#979 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

White RunDMD board
    AliExpress panels (from RunDMD faq page)
    Power supply from Amazon
    One M3 screw to affix RunDMD to panel
    Matte Black frame from AmericanFrame. The frame style is C21 and AmericanFrame cuts the acrylic for you. (See pic for dimensions) I think total cost for all components was about $250.
    I ordered the frame about 3/16 of an inch larger on both dimensions so the outer row of dots wouldn’t be obscured. The tensioners sent with the frame hold the panels in place just fine even with the gap.

Awesome, Thank You....I have my "white" board, panels, and PS sitting on my computer desk as I was trying to figure out a frame....I think I'm going to order the same frame you did as it looks great!

#987 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

White RunDMD board
    Power supply from Amazon
    Matte Black frame from AmericanFrame. The frame style is C21 and AmericanFrame cuts the acrylic for you. (See pic for dimensions) I think total cost for all components was about $250.
    I ordered the frame about 3/16 of an inch larger on both dimensions so the outer row of dots wouldn’t be obscured. The tensioners sent with the frame hold the panels in place just fine even with the gap.

Just curious before I order, when you entered the measurements, I assume you chose "frame"? It gives you two options, frame or what's going in the frame.

Thanks

#989 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

I think either choice will work as you aren't ordering a mat board. But "art size" is what I chose.

Ok, Thanks..."Art Size" it is! (Figured I'd ask as when it's a 50/50 choice I usually choose the wrong option...

1 week later
    #996 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

White RunDMD board
    Power supply from Amazon

Just want to give props for this frame idea, it's awesome. No offense, but I think it blows away the Plexi+ standoffs frame idea. This looks so clean, and only takes 10 min or less to put together. A very "Finished" look, absolutely love it...Thanks again! Highly recommend!

20180712_210212.jpg20180712_210212.jpg20180712_210233.jpg20180712_210233.jpg20180712_210311.jpg20180712_210311.jpg

20180711_100749.jpg20180711_100749.jpg
    #1002 5 years ago
    Quoted from J_Striker:

seems like the glare is bright if not seen through a tinted plexi glass..... wonder if you could get the frame to fit around the plexi instead of the panels

It's just my crappy phone with the poor pics, it has, funny as this sounds by looking at my pics, "anti glare Plexi"....No glare in person.

#1003 5 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

No offense but... you can't write that without offending. I think it is fair to say it looks great and is easy and amazing, that is all onside, but it is my opinion that if you follow that up with 'no offense but I think it blows away the Plexi+ standoff frame idea' you are putting down the Plexi+ standoff solution inside the very thread that inspired frame solution. Just my opinion. Fair to say I've misjudged things in the past though, this may be another example.

I'm not trying to put another option down in any way, and, as I said, mean no offense. I just think this looks very professional, looks like a framed work of art. This metal frame surrounds the anti glare Plexi and DMD sections. Included hardware with frame holds everything in place,only one screw needed to mount PCB. I was just very impressed, and couldn't obtain the other option so I am very happy this option was mentioned. For just around $280 total, I'm very happy with the end result.

#1005 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

Is that an Edge or White board?

White board

#1008 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

There is anti-glare plexi that the frame fits around. It doesn’t have any glare in person.

That looks awesome! Nicely done!

Once again, you rock! Love this look...

6 months later
    #1072 5 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer73:

Unfortunately, no luck with doing that, still shuts down. Anything else to try?
    I set the sleep and wake timers for the same interval of 00:00, display shut down with a sold red LED lit on the run-dmd board.

I'd try a new power supply, voltage may be right but I wonder if the amperage is...

1 year later
    #1196 4 years ago

Woohoo, its the time of the year that my clock says the correct time!

4 months later
    #1329 3 years ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

Would really like to have a pico version of this but that doesn't seem to be ever coming back. With respect to the RPI2DMD product - it seems like a great product but if you are in the US you are out of luck. I have been trying for 5 months to get what is needed for this and wasted my money on the software etc as I cannot get a frame kit. The guy for the frames has been extremely unresponsive (2 messages in 5 months of me contacting him numerous times) with the end result being he will get back to me about shipping to the US. NO ONE on that forum has been willing to assist me with intermediary shipping or even interested in building one and sending it to me (offered to pay them for their time etc). So IMHO that project is a waste of time unless you can make all your own stuff for the frame which I do not have the ability for that.

I have been eyeing that setup for awhile now, but didn't know if it would be easy getting the software to run it since it's on a French forum, that I'm not a member of, and didn't want to waste my time doing a donation then getting ignored when I asked for it.

Have you seen these?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3783845

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3835707

Jhttps://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3841081

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Irishbastard.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released?tu=Irishbastard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.