(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    PacDotsmall (resized).jpg
    LEDarcade2 (resized).jpg
    1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    52978E50-7D5F-4414-B1A7-D67B2D69D694 (resized).jpeg
    Run dmc (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0074 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3959 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210925_171305935.MP (resized).jpg
    HUB08 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD (resized).JPG
    669C1ED9-72C7-47F8-889A-E8731D50942E.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #611 Jan 2016 BOM suggestions from j_m (dated materials) Posted by j_m_ (8 years ago)

Post #760 tips from j_m on setting the display type on his builds Posted by j_m_ (7 years ago)

Post #779 switch setup for different colors on j_m's builds Posted by gweempose (7 years ago)

Post #821 Release of the Run-DMD Pico Posted by Limpan (7 years ago)

Post #847 Video of Run-DMD Pico assembly Posted by tqln (6 years ago)

Post #902 Link to v3.52 menu explanations Posted by Puffdanny (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Beatnik-Filmstar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

Geez, there must be a problem. The clock shows the time as 18:18. Twelve is as high as the hours go. WTF?

It's Nigel Tufnel's clock. Duh.

5 years later
    #1369 3 years ago

Wife is asking for Xmas gift ideas and I've always wanted to put one of these together.

Limpan - any timeframe on when more MK2 kits will be in stock?

Alternatively - I'm not against the Edge or Edge white, but need handholding on sourcing the appropriate displays.
    At the same time, I have no idea what the difference between HUB08 and HUB75 is. Am I right in that the HUB75 are RGB and can that you can select different colors? If that's the case and you want to be able to change colors - is there any reason to go with HUB08 over HUB75?

Last but not least - anyone with experience ordering from aliexpress able to post links to HUB75 and or HUB08 panels that would work?
    Edit: or Amazon? I'm sure it's all coming from China regardless, but I do like Amazon's return policies should something go wrong.

Edit again - I think all my non-MK2 questions became moot. Just got offered a free Stern DMD from a friend that did a Color DMD swap.

1 month later
    #1379 3 years ago

My wife is cool and creative in a USPS delay inspired pinch.

ECAABEFB-B875-4575-9105-C3150815AC90 (resized).jpegECAABEFB-B875-4575-9105-C3150815AC90 (resized).jpeg

#1381 3 years ago
    Quoted from diode:

Did you laugh hard or just go wth thinking it was your run dmd lol funny

Well, my wife kicks ass, but not enough to know to get me a Run DMD kit without having it pointed out. So I knew it was coming, and considering the USPS issues all over the place - knew that it might not be here on time. Momentary confusion at worst followed by "Awww, I woulda just put a note in a box cause I'm lazy."

1 week later
    #1386 3 years ago

Postman came through. Assembly going fine. One hiccup though. Assembled outside of the frame to test things. Made all the connections, plugged it in and immediately started up.

But...
    135564528_433621764346287_7845539609367191283_n (resized).jpg135564528_433621764346287_7845539609367191283_n (resized).jpg

Any ideas on the far left vertical row? I assume it's just an issue with the DMD itself (got it for free - not losing sleep here.) but thought I'd ask before moving on.

Worst case scenario - black sharpie over that row? Thin strip of electrical tape?

edit - any chance this was an issue with flashing the SD card? Happy to re-do that if it could help. Pic is just the clock, but the animations are playing just fine.

edit2 - Well, I reflashed the SD card as well as two others that I had laying around. Issue happens with all three. If it makes a difference - the single led that's off in the picture does work and light up if it's used in an animation, and the others in that row do alternate between dimly lit and brighter as needed.

Will set things aside for the night despite really wanting to put this together in case there's a solution other than just blocking that row off. At least it's the very edge!

#1388 3 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

The dark pixel in that column is dead. Replace the pixel module and the row should be fine. Rather than sharpie maybe something less permanent in case you do eventually replace the pixel you won't have to replace the good ones as well because of the sharpie. Maybe black electrical tape? I may be able to sell you a couple pixels but you do need soldering skills to remove and install a new pixel module.

Thanks for the info. (as well as the kit) I wasn't very clear. The issue is that that row is on ALL the time, other than that one in the middle. But it's not dead - it does turn on and off as animations hit that edge of the display. Basically - that row is on as in that picture at all times, cycling on and off as animations pass over that row.

Edit again - just googled a bit and from what I've now read, you understood entirely. pretty tell tale sign of a dead led then? Weird, as I do see that pixel come on when animations pass over it, or sure seems like I do. Will send a PM about possibly replacing the module.

4 months later
    #1396 2 years ago

I'm either absolutely snake bit, something's horribly wrong with my DMD panel, or something's going on with my rundmd board itself.

Long story short(ish)
    Got a rundmd and frame kit for Xmas. Used old donor DMD from a friend's AC/DC.

Had one dead pixel on the very left edge right from the start. Was on the edge, so I just covered it with electrical tape. Easy fast "fix"
    A week later, I had another dot go out and ended up with a lit line on the right side of the display.

Eventually ended up ordering a couple replacement modules from Marcos and had a friend solder them in for me. Worked great.
    Now roughly 2 months later - with the clock running maybe 4-5 hours per weekday (It's on my desk in my office) - yet another line is starting to light up.

Perhaps just horrible coincidence, but the odd thing - even when powered off - the LED at the bottom of the affected row stays lit. This is actually how I knew something was up this time. I reached to turn on the clock and saw the lit LED. Power it on, and yep - faint line starting.

The 2nd row that went out back in Jan:
    kcL4CBH (resized).jpgkcL4CBH (resized).jpg
    And when powered off:
    cujkP4J (resized).jpgcujkP4J (resized).jpg

This morning's bad omen:
    188257877_528437601500041_4037944954933428792_n (resized).jpg188257877_528437601500041_4037944954933428792_n (resized).jpg
    The unsurprising result that I expect to get worse over the next week:
    2021-05-21 (resized).jpg2021-05-21 (resized).jpg

At the time the 2nd LED went out I was told that that should be a pretty rare occurrence. With a 3rd one a couple months later and this weird behavior with the constantly lit bottom LED - I'm assuming there's just something wrong. Discussed briefly with the friend that soldered in the modules for me in March.
    Screenshot (resized).pngScreenshot (resized).png

I readily admit that my knowledge of how these things work is nil, so any ideas where to start? Unfortunately I don't have another panel to connect for any sort of testing.

Bad panel? Bad RUNDMD board? Bad luck?

#1398 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

I had a similar experience.
    I replaced the panels and the ribbon cable, and later the power supply.
    New power supply solved a lot of problems after running 24/7 for 3 years.
    Working perfectly for 5 years now, on 24/7

Thanks for the response. Not the answer I was expecting, but even I can replace a power supply.

#1400 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

The Run DMD clock has a test sequence that you can run to check every dot on the DMD.
    Perhaps that test will reveal if the board has a problem or the DMD has some bad dots.

Thanks for the idea. Brings up another thing that seems odd to me that may be entirely normal.

In each of the three times I've had an LED out - the vertical row containing the LED lights up as expected. However, when an animation runs on the clock - the dead LED does in fact light up when it's supposed to.

Ran the test sequence for the clock:

A bit hard to see, but the current bad row is just to the left of the cord running behind the clock. The dead LED is towards the top - 8th or 9th LED from the top.
    As you can see though - it definitely lights up as the test sequence passes over it.

If this info helps diagnose at all - cool.

#1402 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

It is normal for the LED to work when there is a column out. I fix these stern led dmd's with new blocks. Whenever there is a break in the complete column, they will stay on during normal displays.

Interesting, though it breaks my brain.
    I'm a bad LED. So every other LED in my row will light up at all times. But if you run an animation over me - I light up just fine.

Another case of that makes NO sense to my layman's brain, but right in the "That's just the way it is so don't worry about it" file it goes.

#1404 2 years ago

Well, back for more.

Bought a replacement power supply on Amazon to see if that would sort things out. Same specs (I believe) as the one that came with ddebuss's kit - he gave it a thumbs up anyway.

Swapped it out and turned the clock on and... somehow I'm a little more confused.

So - last week. I reached to turn on the clock and saw a single LED lit at the bottom a column despite the clock being off. This had happened before. Turned the clock on and yep - faint vertical line lit up with a single LED out.
    This is the picture from last week. The lights were on in the room.
    047e5432aae03e941613ef1a8aad2c6027d57bf5 (resized).jpg047e5432aae03e941613ef1a8aad2c6027d57bf5 (resized).jpg

Today with the new power supply - I plugged the clock in and BOO - a single LED at the bottom lit up again.
    IMG_8253 (resized).JPGIMG_8253 (resized).JPG

Turned the clock on and, well. The column is lit up as I expected, but it's considerably more faint.
    This picture was taken with the lights in the room off and I can still barely see it. If it weren't for the single LED being lit when the clock is off, I'd never even notice or think to look. The picture barely shows it at all.
    IMG_8257 (resized).JPGIMG_8257 (resized).JPG

Weirder still - and this is where I hope someone here can say "Oh - this is clearly what's happening...."
    I almost missed this oddity and ended up manually setting the clock to 4:09 just to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me, but.

Today's very faint line? It's NOT the same line. It's one over. Last week it was the 2nd column from the right in the 0. Today, admittedly faint as can be, but it's the 3rd row in.

Out of curiosity I just swapped back to the original power supply and the lit up line is still really really faint and it's the 3rd row.

So what the heck is going on? I assume I can rule out the power supply being the issue? Per other suggestions, while waiting for the new PSU I did reseat both connectors on the DMD a number times and they all seem as tight as can be. I also redid the two wires that feed into the screw down connectors on the RUNDMD board and they're nice and secure.

What to try next? I do happen to have a spare 14 pin ribbon cable, but it's a bit different than the one currently in the clock.
    I have one of these:
    https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/036-5260-00
    whereas one side of the cable on the clock is soldered directly to the RUNDMD board.

Further ideas?

Edit - oh yeah. For what it's worth, that single LED at the bottom that stays lit when the clock is off stays lit even when the 14 pin ribbon cable is disconnected. No idea if that's pertinent or not.

Edit again - OK, the above isn't quite right. If the clock is off, a single LED in that row will stay lit, but it will vary if I remove/reconnect the ribbon cable. I've now seen the top LED remain lit and what appears to be one more or less in the middle of the column.

#1407 2 years ago

Replace the panel.

Sadly cheaper said than done, but of course that may just be needed.

Have a word out to someone I know with some spare DMDs. Will try swapping panels when I can.

9 months later
    #1459 2 years ago

Well, I'm back again.

Don't expect anyone to remember my issues, but if you're inclined:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released?tq=&tu=Beatnik-Filmstar

Long story short - my clock has repeatedly had issues with dead pixels resulting in lit vertical lines. DMD modules replaced twice, fixing the issue briefly only to have new lines go out within a week or so. Power supply replaced to no effect. Single pixels remaining brightly lit even when the clock is off. When I last posted, the final suggestion was to just swap DMDs.

Which I eventually did a while back but life got in the way and things sat for the past couple months. I finally assembled the clock this week and brought it to work. Things seemed great for a couple days. Just got to work, clocked turned off but of course - once again I came in to one bright pixel lit even though the clock is off. I turned it on and as expected - one vertical line faintly lit up yet again.

Would really like a working Run DMD. Any new eyes on the thread have any suggestions? I don't really expect a replacement after a year plus, but I'm having a Hell of a time accepting that it's anything other than a bad Run DMD board. Every other component has been replaced at this point and the issue continues to happen.

#1464 2 years ago
    Quoted from crwjumper:

This issue can occur if you are using a micro-SD card. If you are, then replace it with a full-size card. Try to get an 8 MB card. You’ll need to copy the data to the replacement card using the same method that you originally used.

Been using the micro SD card that came with it. There's no way to use a full sized card that I can see - the slot itself is micro SD card sized.
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPGIMG_9420 (resized).JPG

Quoted from swinks:

there are issues with corrupt SD cards and the issue can start when your clock is running and then power suddenly goes out - black out or power killed to the house suddenly. The program is actively running from the SD card every few seconds so can be corrupted if the power outage is right at the animation change. The corruption can cause lines out, merged graphics, time resetting, image lockup.
    I have a section on the RUNDMD stuff here:
    https://swinks.com.au/manuals

In my case - the animations aren't corrupt at all. Everything runs fine. To my knowledge I've not had any power outages at any point while using the clock. Something is killing dots in the modules on the DMD itself. I've not had the clock run for more than a week or so at a time without having a dot go out eventually.

Quoted from roar:

Does the issue go away though if you use a different SD card? I'm challenged to see how the type of media could cause a pixel to go bright on a DMD. I've got a couple of vertical lines out on mine because of this and have just lived with it. DMD was fine when I put it in, I always chalked it up to the cheap power supply I'm using, it hasn't gotten worse though.

While it sucks to see that someone else appears to be having the same issue - I'm a little glad to see this to make me feel like I'm not going insane. I'm an absolute layman at best, but I fail to see how using a microSD card vs a full size card (which I have no way of plugging into the board) could make a single pixel light up even when the clock is turned off.

Out of curiosity I just removed the microSD card and plugged the clock in. The latest random pixel lights up immediately. If I turn the clock on it displays the time without any animations (as expected) and the line containing the single lit pixel lights up.

#1466 2 years ago

I had a sorta similar problem but it was a column.
    I swapped out my trusty spare controller and it was the same.
    Swapped ribbon cable, it was the same.
    Swapped out the display panel and it was fixed.
    I also had weird random nonsense on the diplays.
    I swapped everything and it was the same.
    Turned out to be a failing AC adapter.
    I swapped it out and its all perfect again.

Well at this point I've swapped out individual DMD modules twice, the ribbon cable, AC adaptor and then finally swapped DMD panels. Replacing the modules and entire panel "fixed" it temporarily, but here I am with another dead dot and a vertical row lit up on my clock that somehow sends power to the display when turned off.

The only thing I haven't replaced is the board itself. Not only do I not have another one, but they're not available on the site and frankly I'm really not inclined to buy another if they were.

I suppose I'm pretty much just venting at this point, so my apologies to anyone reading this. Just wanted a cool clock and appear to have gotten a lemon.

#1468 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kawydud:

When you say DMD modules replaced twice, did you replace segments on the Stern dmd, or just the entire panel? Only reason I ask is the Stern ones crap out quite a bit. I have some spare working ones that you could try out and see if they last.

Individual 8x8 modules replaced twice. Then swapped to an entirely different panel.

#1470 2 years ago
    Quoted from BriPin:

And the micro SD card! Try a new card!

I probably have one laying around. May as well give it a go. Though I'll eat my hat if a micro SD card is somehow responsible for the panel receiving current while the clock is turned off considering that it happens when there's no SD card inserted at all.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Beatnik-Filmstar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released?tu=Beatnik-Filmstar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.