(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    PacDotsmall (resized).jpg
    LEDarcade2 (resized).jpg
    1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    52978E50-7D5F-4414-B1A7-D67B2D69D694 (resized).jpeg
    Run dmc (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0074 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3959 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210925_171305935.MP (resized).jpg
    HUB08 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD (resized).JPG
    669C1ED9-72C7-47F8-889A-E8731D50942E.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 33.
    #251 9 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

Torbjörn has also finished up the latest SD-card image (B116). I haven't been able to test it out yet, but here's the changes from B115:
    * XMEN Magneto animation corrected* TAF animations added* ”Content Filtering” is now supported (if you choose family mode the most extreme animations from ACDC/TWD/ won't show up)* Now a total of 521 animations
    B116 could contain CFTBL animations, but I'm not 100% sure yet!

So do you need the raw copy, the image, or both to flash the SD card? The instructions make it sound like you just need the raw copy....

#252 9 years ago
    Quoted from tslayer71:

So do you need the raw copy, the image, or both to flash the SD card? The instructions make it sound like you just need the raw copy....

You only need the image to flash the SD card (using the HDD Raw Copy tool).

#253 9 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

You only need the image to flash the SD card (using the HDD Raw Copy tool).

So put both files on the SD drive or just one?

#254 9 years ago

HDD Raw Copy tool

is a pc program

you have to start it

select the drive(sd Card) and Image and click start

#255 9 years ago
    Quoted from kapsreiter:

HDD Raw Copy tool
    is a pc program
    you have to start it
    select the drive(sd Card) and Image and click start

Got it - Thanks!

#256 9 years ago

Im surprised Rick from pps hasn't sent a C&D on this.

#257 9 years ago
    Quoted from urbanledge:

Im surprised Rick from pps hasn't sent a C&D on this.

Shhhhh. Why would you even bring that up?

#258 9 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

When all orders on waiting line are sent out the aim is to send new orders out the day after they are placed, so the waiting should not be as long as this time.

No worries, this is a niche product and as such delays are part of getting it. Besides, the frame kits won't be in for a month at least so after testing this will be sitting in a closet for a bit.

#259 9 years ago

Thanks ^^

Phew, I've been sending out as much as I can manage today, and all orders placed on the 25:th of march and before that has now been sent out. E-mail with tracking numbers should have arrived in your inboxes by now.

I'll buy some more empty boxes and continue to pack and ship more orders tomorrow, and hopefully we'll be back on track with the waiting line in the beginning of next week.

#260 9 years ago

dang, missed that march cut-off by 7 days :/

#261 9 years ago

OK Im not up on my computer use savvy if ever I had any.

How do you get the animations form a machine in the first place?

Say I wanted animations not pre rendered in the chip?

#262 9 years ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

Read the thread. You can't. The animations that are available are predetermined.

#263 9 years ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

Eddie, you flash the SD card with an image that is downloaded from the URL link. As Dung said, the animations are already programmed into the image. There are already a lot of animations from the DMD's on the preloaded image. Maybe you can alter the image with a piece of software and create your own image for the SD card, I never tried it.

#264 9 years ago

What I meant was how were the animations taken from the machines originally just curious as how that is done.

I did get a RUN DMD board so I am part of the Clock club.

#265 9 years ago

5 packages left my house today, and now I'm out of Run-DMD:s over the weekend. I'm getting the next batch from Torbjörn on monday morning, and that will fill the current waiting line and plus a few extras if anyone is interested. E-mails with tracking numbers will be sent out to the rest of you guys on monday and tuesday as soon as the orders are leaving my house!

Quoted from Eddie:

What I meant was how were the animations taken from the machines originally just curious as how that is done.
    I did get a RUN DMD board so I am part of the Clock club.

The animations are extracted from the rom files available for download at Stern & ipdb.org.

#266 9 years ago

Oh, I also forgot to mention that Torbjörn released a new firmware (v2.22) that fixes a ghosting issue that appeared when using the Run-DMD together with the newest Stern LED DMD:s (520-5052-15) on medium or high brightness.

The new firmware is available for download at: http://run-dmd.com/product/mcu-firmware

All Run-DMD:s that were sent out today and yesterday was sent with the above firmware.

#267 9 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

The new firmware is available for download at: http://run-dmd.com/product/mcu-firmware
    All Run-DMD:s that were sent out today and yesterday was sent with the above firmware.

Excellent, I'm using a Stern DMD for mine, thanks.

#268 9 years ago

Does anyone in the us have the capability of burning the chip? Pretty sure my GQ-USB 4x is not able to.

#269 9 years ago
    Quoted from wiggy07:

I created my own frame with plexi-glass purchased from Lowes. I also bought the spacers I needed from Pinball Life. Drilled all the holes with a drill press.

DSC00411.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
    DSC00412.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
    DSC00407.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
    DSC00408.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

Did Lowes have the sizes of plexi-glass in stock or did you have to cut a piece?

#270 9 years ago
    Quoted from phillymadison:

Did Lowes have the sizes of plexi-glass in stock or did you have to cut a piece?

They have different sizes but you will have to cut to size.

#271 9 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

They have different sizes but you will have to cut to size.

My local Lowes will often cut several pieces for me. Never hurt to walk in and ask.

#272 9 years ago

yes, i had them cut to size by Lowes. The Lowes where I live has a workstation to do the cutting. Lowes does not charge any additional charge to the cutting. I did tip the worker $5.00 for saving me the trouble.

#273 9 years ago

Does anyone have an email address for FrancoB to order a frame set?

#274 9 years ago
    Quoted from wiggy07:

yes, i had them cut to size by Lowes. The Lowes where I live has a workstation to do the cutting. Lowes does not charge any additional charge to the cutting. I did tip the worker $5.00 for saving me the trouble.

Nice I have access to a drill press so drilling the holes wont be a problem. I wouldn't feel comfortable cutting a piece with the tools I have available lol. I was actually thinking of making a wood backing and leaving the face open, but if I can get 2 pieces of plexi cut to size I would go this route instead.

Might I ask? What's the size they cut it to?

#275 9 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Does anyone in the us have the capability of burning the chip? Pretty sure my GQ-USB 4x is not able to.

I can with the tools I use for my products. I think you're right that the GQ-USB 4X won't.

#276 9 years ago

The original is aprox 25 x 7 1/8 you could go a little bigger if you wanted to.

#277 9 years ago

Nice I have access to a drill press so drilling the holes wont be a problem. I wouldn't feel comfortable cutting a piece with the tools I have available lol. I was actually thinking of making a wood backing and leaving the face open, but if I can get 2 pieces of plexi cut to size I would go this route instead.

The size I had my plexi cut was

25 Wide X 7 1/4 High. Mine worked out perfectly. The piece was around $ 50.00 bucks.

To be exact the piece of plexi I purchased was 24 x 48 #11288 from Lowes.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_11288-1638-1AG2196A_0__?Ntt=%2311288&UserSearch=%2311288&productId=3502046&rpp=32#11288

Again, you can get three pieces out of this one piece of plexi. I also used a unibit to drill the holes. The bit worked great. I bought the bit from Harbor Freight which cost $15.00. Lowes wanted $60.00 for the same bit. I am sure the Lowes Dewalt bit may be better but the Harbor Freight bit worked perfectly in my drill press and saved me some cash. The bit drills a perfect hole into plexi. Highly recommend it.

#278 9 years ago

OK, finally got my two clocks assembled and now I can't find the directions anywhere on how to flash the SD card? Links anyone? The only directions on page 1 of the original thread are

#1 Flash SD card using program.

#279 9 years ago
    Quoted from kbliznick:

OK, finally got my two clocks assembled and now I can't find the directions anywhere on how to flash the SD card? Links anyone? The only directions on page 1 of the original thread are

EDIT:

Nevermind, it's super easy, just my PC wasn't recognizing the SD card at all when I put it in, tried it with a different computer and it worked fine.

#280 9 years ago
    Quoted from kbliznick:

PM Sent

#281 9 years ago

All orders on the waiting list are now sent, phew!

Hope all you guys have received tracking numbers through e-mail, otherwise, send me a PM here at Pinside.

I would also like to mention that Torbjörns latest image file (B118) contains a total of 588 animations, and the latest additions are Scared Stiff, Cactus Canyon, Getaway: High Speed II, and Judge Dredd.

#282 9 years ago

Got mine yesterday. Have it hooked up to a Stern LED DMD, new 2.22 firmware works great with it. Installing the B118 image was easy.

Quick video:

https://vine.co/v/ezWmrlz2zrh

#283 9 years ago

I got my tracking number today thanks Limpan

#284 9 years ago

Got mine today. Thanks!

#285 9 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

I would also like to mention that Torbjörns latest image file (B118) contains a total of 588 animations, and the latest additions are Scared Stiff, Cactus Canyon, Getaway: High Speed II, and Judge Dredd.

Where do I get these images to download?

#286 9 years ago

Just received mine in the mail today. Thank you.

#287 9 years ago

Anyone had any trouble getting the HUB808 (The large led displays?) to do anything? My led is flashing every 4 seconds, but I do not get anything on either display no matter how i plug the ribbon cable in.

#288 9 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Anyone had any trouble getting the HUB808 (The large led displays?) to do anything? My led is flashing every 4 seconds, but I do not get anything on either display no matter how i plug the ribbon cable in.

Look at the instructions to check my memroy, but I think you unplug the power, wait 15 seconds to make sure it's done, and then hold in button 4/D when you turn it back on. That will force it to cycle through different styles of outputs.

I couldn't get anything but a single vertical line on my Stern display until I did that, now it's working perfectly.

#289 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Look at the instructions to check my memroy, but I think you unplug the power, wait 15 seconds to make sure it's done, and then hold in button 4/D when you turn it back on. That will force it to cycle through different styles of outputs.
    I couldn't get anything but a single vertical line on my Stern display until I did that, now it's working perfectly.

One of the cables I got for power must be broken inside. Got one of the displays up by swapping it. Thanks tho!

#290 9 years ago

I'm trying to install the image with the HDD Raw Copy tool. It's acting as if the SD card that came with the Run-DMD needs to be formatted first. Should I be formating it first?

#291 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinBackpacker:

I'm trying to install the image with the HDD Raw Copy tool. It's acting as if the SD card that came with the Run-DMD needs to be formatted first. Should I be formating it first?

I did not. It formated the card when I ran the copy tool.

#292 9 years ago

When I selected the target it said it needed to be formatted. I did so, copied the image over (it wanted a file name it seems), and it looks like I've corrupted my SD card.

Any other imaging tools that might work?

#293 9 years ago

Hmm, I didn't format, are you sure you did it right? You just fire up the tool, select the image, select the destination, and hit start. No other steps.

Neither OS X or Windows would recognize the card, so the needs to be formatted message is normal. I just ignored it.

#294 9 years ago

That's what I did, but when I selected the destination it asked me to format the disk. So now I have a corrupt SD card. Anyone know if I need to order a new one or if I can resurrect this one?

#295 9 years ago

What happens when you try formatting the SD card using Windows?

#296 9 years ago
    Quoted from chriskd:

What happens when you try formatting the SD card using Windows?

No issues. Formats fine as FAT32.

#297 9 years ago

Cant download the SD card images. gets to the point where it says "You need to manually save your files"

When I press save file it asks where. I choose desktop and nothing happens? Is this because I have a MAC?

#298 9 years ago

Got mine today, flashed it, and got it working with a stern DMD out of ACDC. Awesome product! I've got this thing figured out.

#299 9 years ago

Has anyone posted how the jumpers work? I am using the green/red display, but was just curious.
    Per the manual:
    On your Run-DMD board there may be a set of 4 jumpers marked “DMD COLOR”.
    These jumpers should normally never be moved, but can used to adjust the Run-DMD to work with
    green HUB08 DMDs.Your board may also have “ICSP”, “TTL RS-232” or ”I/O” connections, these are
    not in use.

#300 9 years ago

Got all my parts yesterday, it works like a charm. Can't wait to get it in a frame!

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.