(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    PacDotsmall (resized).jpg
    LEDarcade2 (resized).jpg
    1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    52978E50-7D5F-4414-B1A7-D67B2D69D694 (resized).jpeg
    Run dmc (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0074 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3959 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210925_171305935.MP (resized).jpg
    HUB08 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD (resized).JPG
    669C1ED9-72C7-47F8-889A-E8731D50942E.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 33.
    #202 9 years ago

Hi guys.

Thought I would register over here to give you guys a hand sorting these frames out if needed.

Quoted from schudel5:

I think the standoffs shown on that page are thread x length (mm).
    40mm = 1-5/8"
    30mm = 1-1/8"
    16mm = 5/8"
    12mm = 1/2"
    8mm = 5/16"
    Threads would probably be 6-32 or 8-32 depending whether M3 or M4. Not sure what the standards are for hex spacers and lengths but you can probably find what you need here for lengths.

Yep, they're all lengths. You need to be careful when selecting the lengths as there is only a mm or two clearance on a couple of the parts.

Quoted from schudel5:

Here's the only caveat that I'm thinking you will run into using imperial standoffs, for this project, and the Alibaba displays. The displays already have the threaded metal studs in them that you screw the standoffs into first. I'm assuming these are probably metric as they are coming from HK. Granted, you probably could run the proper metric tap in the threaded end that attaches to the display and it might work. Just throwing that out there. Or just source the metric standoffs somewhere.

Yep, that's right, the studding on the back of the displays is M3. I think you at least need to source the M3x30 hex spacers and the M3 bolts to fit these. All of the other screws etc can be Imperial if it's easier/cheaper.

Let me know if I can help with anything.

There are some assembly over at Arcade Otaku. I'm sot sure if you guys can see them so was going to post them here but my images don't seem to work here using [img] tags, what's the correct way to get them to show up here? Is it because I'm a new member?

#204 9 years ago

in for updates. cool stuff.

#205 9 years ago
    Quoted from FrancoB:

There are some assembly over at Arcade Otaku. I'm sot sure if you guys can see them so was going to post them here but my images don't seem to work here using [img] tags, what's the correct way to get them to show up here? Is it because I'm a new member?

Pinside image are all hosted here, you don't use URLs with [img] tags. If you look under the post box you can see an area where you can drag and drop images to upload them.

#206 9 years ago

Is there any way to get this to sync up with an internet time server or display real time data like stock quotes or weather?

#207 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Is there any way to get this to sync up with an internet time server or display real time data like stock quotes or weather?

Sorry, that's not possible right now. But I'll write it down and forward it to Torbjörn so that he can add it to the wishlist!

#208 9 years ago

Got my clock boards today (post office tried to deliver on Sat when we were out). That was super quick. Less than a week from Europe. Already got the DMD's, the box looked pretty worse for wear but the DMD's were undamaged. Just waiting on the power supplies and I can test these out.

#209 9 years ago

Glad to hear they arrived so quick. Shipping stuff from Sweden is pretty much a nightmare when it comes to prices, but at least the packages seems to be delivered pretty quick then!

#210 9 years ago

kbliznick:
    how did you receive your pc boards faster than me? :/ although it looks like mine should be out for delivery today.

one more question for you. how are the placement of your 8x8 squares on your panels? are they all aligned pretty well? as the photos from my shipment show, on 4 of the panels the quality control was really lacking.

I hope to be able to test everything tonight since I've got the power supplies and 6 somewhat damaged lcd panels. naina xiao @ ali express wants me to keep these and has offered me a discount on my next order, but there's no way that I'm keep these if any of the pixels don't light up.

additionally, I was told that the "free cables" are not for horizontal connecting (just vertical), so if I want longer cables, I would have to purchase them. (heck, I can make them myself but I was disappointed that by cutting them 2" short, they can't link the displays together the way that I wanted them to).

here's the latest response from them:

About power cable, our free standard power cable is for vertical connecting, not for row connecting. Please find the picture in attachment! That long power cable is a extra cable, it is usually not included in package. If customers need long power cable, we usually suggest them buy it on this website, http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/20pcs-lot-50-80cm-Long-Power-Supply-Cable-Power-Cord-Power-Wire-for-LED-Display-LED/314096_32262011634.html .
    About the broken products, so sorry for that, we will pay more attention to the package in the future. DHL is also not carefull to deliver.
    Could you please help test them and find if the LED have been broken? If it could work, i hope you could accept them for this time! Then i will give you a discount next time.
    By the way, when you test it, please take a photo to the LEDs which is lighted.
    Best regards
    Naina

#211 9 years ago

limpan:
    do you know if there a "test mode" for the displays (eg. light up all of the pixels) once you have the pc board hooked up to them?

#212 9 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

limpan:
    do you know if there a "test mode" for the displays (eg. light up all of the pixels) once you have the pc board hooked up to them?

If not there should be. That would be awesome.

#213 9 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

Sorry, that's not possible right now. But I'll write it down and forward it to Torbjörn so that he can add it to the wishlist!

There's a wishlist? I've been looking for a countdown clock to use for poker tournaments. A stopwatch and alarm function would be great too. Ooh and a contact closure to trigger an external device like this http://www.frightideas.com/picoboos/picoboo.html

#214 9 years ago

Software changes should be fairly easy; count-down clock, test-mode, etc

Hardware changes, hes gonna have to re-design his PCB. Someone already asked him that in the forum where this idea originated: http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=29457

Id like to add temperature (inside and/or outside), and maybe a news ticker function.

Seems like this controller would do all of that already:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HD-W40-Wireless-Transmission-for-USB-DISK-and-WIFI-Communication-LED-Display-Control-Card-Control-Area/32259889933.html

#215 9 years ago

While were at it, a PS/2 port for a GPS antenna to keep accurate time (1pps signal). Just a thought...

#216 9 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

limpan:

Quoted from Syco54645:

If not there should be. That would be awesome.

Torbjörn did some testing on a Stern LED DMD today for a ghosting issue (when setting the brightness to medium or high on a Stern LED DMD) that was reported earlier this morning, and while fixing that issue, he also added a diagnostic menu for DMD testing (firmware 2.20).

The firmware file will be uploaded at Run-DMD.com later tonight, and is a free upgrade if you are able to program MCU:s yourself (the one seated in the Run-DMD can be rewritten). If you aren't able to reprogram one yourself, I also sell programmed MCU:s (out of stock right now, but hopefully I'll be able to program and sell a few later this week).

Here's a video of the test pattern:

#217 9 years ago

the MCU is just a pic chip, correct? if so, that's great. my neighbor has a couple of pic burners so we should be able to re-flash it once I receive the pc boards tonight.

#218 9 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

Torbjörn did some testing on a Stern LED DMD today for a ghosting issue (when setting the brightness to medium or high on a Stern LED DMD) that was reported earlier this morning, and while fixing that issue, he also added a diagnostic menu for DMD testing (firmware 2.20).
    The firmware file will be uploaded at Run-DMD.com later tonight, and is a free upgrade if you are able to program MCU:s yourself (the one seated in the Run-DMD can be rewritten). If you aren't able to reprogram one yourself, I also sell programmed MCU:s (out of stock right now, but hopefully I'll be able to program and sell a few later this week).

I'm going to use a Stern DMD with mine, but it hasn't shipped yet. Which version of the firmware do you think I'll get?

#219 9 years ago

beta v0.01 because, you're you!

#220 9 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

the MCU is just a pic chip, correct? if so, that's great. my neighbor has a couple of pic burners so we should be able to re-flash it once I receive the pc boards tonight.

Yes. You must use a dsPIC33EP capable programmer (like the PICKIT2 or 3) and a dsPIC33EP compatible external (ZIF-) socket!. You can download the v2.20 firmware here: http://run-dmd.com/product/mcu-firmware

Quoted from Aurich:

I'm going to use a Stern DMD with mine, but it hasn't shipped yet. Which version of the firmware do you think I'll get?

2.20!

#222 9 years ago

my pc boards are due to arrive today (after false hope yesterday, where the parcel didn't move at all for 24hrs even though the status said that it was enroute to the destination post office [which is about 10mins away])

it looks like I'll finally get to test out the displays and see just how damaged they were in shipping tonight.

#223 9 years ago

I got the board and powersupply, but the displays haven't arrived yet. Hopefully they will shortly as I'm excited to try it.

I guess I could hook it up temporarily to an xPIN low voltage display I have from the Pinball Circus project to see if it works though until my real displays arrive.

#224 9 years ago

received the pc boards today and other than the damaged pixel on 4 of the 6 boards that I received last week, everything is working perfectly

IMG_0715[1].JPGIMG_0715[1].JPG

#225 9 years ago

one thing to note:
    the multi-card reader in my desktop set up would not apply the image with rawcopy. I kept getting a 'device is being used by another process' error message and I had to run the software with my laptop that has a dedicated sd card slot.

#226 9 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

How about RSS craigslist posts. So you can see all the pinball machines currently for sale all day long. lol

#227 9 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

How about RSS craigslist posts. So you can see all the pinball machines currently for sale all day long. lol

Awesome thought!!!!!

#228 9 years ago

other than the fact that the board doesn't have a wifi or network connection, how do you expect this to happen? maybe getting those cookie tree elves to help out?

#229 9 years ago

I just want it to display the time with some animations.

If there was a way to upload our own, or edit it that would rule, but beyond that I expect nothing.

#230 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

If there was a way to upload our own, or edit it that would rule, but beyond that I expect nothing.

Pretty much this although being able to cue sounds would be interesting albeit unnecessary. Main thing would be to rip and upload animations you want.

#231 9 years ago

due to my shipping debacle with the displays, I will have 3 extra sets of pc boards, dual color displays and power supplies available shortly from within the united states for anyone not wanting to source these items individually from hk and sweden.

pm me for details if you are interested.

#232 9 years ago

Such a cool wall display that I would love to have but I need to get some repairs sorted first...

#233 9 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

due to my shipping debacle with the displays, I will have 3 extra sets of pc boards, dual color displays and power supplies available shortly from within the united states for anyone not wanting to source these items individually from hk and sweden.

pm sent

#234 9 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

pm sent also

#235 9 years ago

all 3 of the extra sets are currently spoken for. if you did not receive a reply from, I'm sorry but they were all spoken for and I received numerous inquires.

#236 9 years ago

Still trying to justify this...Dam is it cool tho

#237 9 years ago

Sorry, an RSS-feeds/internet connection won't happen with the current hardware. But it would be a great feature.

Quoted from Aurich:

I know Torbjörn said that he wanted to release some kind of software for making your own SD-cards in the future, but I'll update you guys if I hear anything about it. However, with the the 2.20 firmware you can set the Run-DMD to a family mode (making it work without zombies getting a crow bar in the head ), and he's also working on a feature that will make it possible to hide/show any animations.

#238 9 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

I know Torbjörn said that he wanted to release some kind of software for making your own SD-cards in the future, but I'll update you guys if I hear anything about it. However, with the the 2.20 firmware you can set the Run-DMD to a family mode (making it work without zombies getting a crow bar in the head ), and he's also working on a feature that will make it possible to hide/show any animations.

My kids are in college so I want that crow bar in the head thing.

#239 9 years ago

i'm interested in this, but... does it come with the cool music from the video too ?

#240 9 years ago
    Quoted from labnip:

i'm interested in this, but... does it come with the cool music from the video too ?

No sound as of yet.

#241 9 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

This really seems like it needs to be a group buy of some sort.
    Import a bunch of RunDMD boards.
    Import a bunch of LED panels.
    Import a bunch of power supplies.
    Get someone to run a batch of frames.
    All of this sounds quite a bit more expensive to do in single quantity.

If someone is willing to take the reigns on this, you can count me in for one.

Edit: Posted before reading the entire thread.

#242 9 years ago

This whole project would be much more reasonable if not for the $130 PCB.

#243 9 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

This whole project would be much more reasonable if not for the $130 PCB.

Very true. Makes it hard for me to bite, especially when all of the features are not complete.

#244 9 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

Very true. Makes it hard for me to bite, especially when all of the features are not complete.

Thought the same thing. Currently without frame and I am at 210. Probably will be near 300 before this is over. On the other hand it is unique and the time to buy something is when its available. If this guy gets shutdown for violating IP due to the animations I will already have the clock in hand.

#245 9 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Thought the same thing. Currently without frame and I am at 210. Probably will be near 300 before this is over. On the other hand it is unique and the time to buy something is when its available. If this guy gets shutdown for violating IP due to the animations I will already have the clock in hand.

Very true. Building a deck right now. Will need to wait a bit...

#246 9 years ago

wow! this is cool stuff....I will stay tuned....I have a lot of old dmd's around and can put them to good use.....hem??? thinking.....thinking....

#247 9 years ago

Did the latest batch get shipped?

#248 9 years ago

I created my own frame with plexi-glass purchased from Lowes. I also bought the spacers I needed from Pinball Life. Drilled all the holes with a drill press.

DSC00411.JPGDSC00411.JPG DSC00412.JPGDSC00412.JPG DSC00407.JPGDSC00407.JPG DSC00408.JPGDSC00408.JPG
    #249 9 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

Did the latest batch get shipped?

Torbjörn was still missing a DS3231 component to be able to finish up the new batch, but it got to him yesterday (monday was a holiday in Sweden) so I'm meeting him tomorrow and will receive the new batch by then. Shipping will start tomorrow, and you will receive an e-mail with a tracking number as soon as the package has been sent from me.

When all orders on waiting line are sent out the aim is to send new orders out the day after they are placed, so the waiting should not be as long as this time.

#250 9 years ago

Torbjörn has also finished up the latest SD-card image (B116). I haven't been able to test it out yet, but here's the changes from B115:

* XMEN Magneto animation corrected
    * TAF animations added
    * ”Content Filtering” is now supported (if you choose family mode the most extreme animations from ACDC/TWD/ won't show up)
    * Now a total of 521 animations

B116 could contain CFTBL animations, but I'm not 100% sure yet!

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.