(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    PacDotsmall (resized).jpg
    LEDarcade2 (resized).jpg
    1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    52978E50-7D5F-4414-B1A7-D67B2D69D694 (resized).jpeg
    Run dmc (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0074 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3959 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210925_171305935.MP (resized).jpg
    HUB08 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD (resized).JPG
    669C1ED9-72C7-47F8-889A-E8731D50942E.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 33.
    #151 9 years ago

The frame is 637mm x 181mm = 25.0787" x 7.126".

#152 9 years ago

I send an email to the support staff at ponoko.com

hopefully, we're looking at a total cost of about $25-30 for the frames.

#153 9 years ago

OK so trying to piece all this together... this is what i get.... am i missing anything?????

ALi-Express Dual-Color Boards- $57.94 (for two boards)
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Indoor-F3-75-P4-75-RG-Dual-color-LED-dot-matrix-module-304-152mm-64-32/1721916462.html

Power supply- $17
    http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/High-qualityDC-5V-10A-LED-Power-Supply-For-WS2812B-WS2811-LPD8806-WS2801-LED-Strip-Light-UK/809780_2047451461.html

Run-DMD PCB- $135.42 (at todays exchange rates)
    http://run-dmd.com/

Frame- ???? if interested in a bulk order.... $40 to 50

Grand total: would be around $260 US Minus the screws/spacers. I would bite on this if we could get it down to around $200 maybe we can license the design and print them here in the US (much cheaper than anywhere in europe).

#154 9 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

The frame is 637mm x 181mm = 25.0787" x 7.126".

Wow, WTF, that's huge. Those Alibaba boards are much bigger than I realized I guess.

I'm definitely sticking with my real DMD plan now.

#155 9 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

OK so trying to piece all this together... this is what i get.... am i missing anything?????
    ALi-Express Dual-Color Boards- $57.94 (for two boards)
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Indoor-F3-75-P4-75-RG-Dual-color-LED-dot-matrix-module-304-152mm-64-32/1721916462.html
    Power supply- $17
    amazon.com link »
    Run-DMD PCB- $135.42 (at todays exchange rates)
    http://run-dmd.com/
    Frame- ????

You'll need a 10A PSU for the dual color DMD:s (link provided in the faq on the website)

#156 9 years ago

OK.... took the .dxf file and uploaded to www.bigbluesaw.com got the following prices for the frame Front:
    front quote.jpgfront quote.jpg

We could bring this price down by bulk ordering! But someone would need to take on the task of distributing them.

#157 9 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

You'll need a 10A PSU for the dual color DMD:s (link provided in the faq on the website)

Thanks, this post has been hard to follow.

#158 9 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

OK.... took the .dxf file and uploaded to http://www.bigbluesaw.com got the following prices for the frame Front:
    front quote.jpg
    We could bring this price down by bulk ordering! But someone would need to take on the task of distributing them.

Is this just the front, or the front and back?

#159 9 years ago

That was just the front. Ive been plaving around with their materials selection and have managed to get the price down. I guess if we did a bulk order, we should be able to get the price down to $40 + shipping for the acrylic (including $10 each for whoever wants to distrubute these things). I just need to look at the prices on the screws and spacers now......

#160 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Wow, WTF, that's huge. Those Alibaba boards are much bigger than I realized I guess.
    I'm definitely sticking with my real DMD plan now.

I love the large size!

#161 9 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

I love the large size!

exactly! that's the whole point of mounting it to the wall, right? if you were to use a regular pinball dmd, you're not going to be able to enjoy the animations from more than 4 feet away.

#162 9 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

That was just the front. Ive been plaving around with their materials selection and have managed to get the price down. I guess if we did a bulk order, we should be able to get the price down to $40 + shipping for the acrylic (including $10 each for whoever wants to distrubute these things). I just need to look at the prices on the screws and spacers now......

You might be better off getting people to order together and then picking up at a show. Otherwise someone is going to a lot of work reshipping everything.

#163 9 years ago

I'll be @ expo again this year, however that's months away

#164 9 years ago

If there is a group buy for this I am in pending price.

#165 9 years ago

^ ^
    Me too - I'm in for a group buy.

#166 9 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

You might be better off getting people to order together and then picking up at a show. Otherwise someone is going to a lot of work reshipping everything.

10-20 kits: i could handle
    20+ i dont have the funds or time to front this

Agreed, the expo would be the perfect place to have everyone pickup their stuff. I just dont know if im going. Anyone else interested in picking up the torch on this one?

#167 9 years ago

I would definitely be down on a group buy.

#168 9 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

Anyone else interested in picking up the torch on this one?

first off, I never put down the torch you obviously don't know me very well.

#169 9 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

first off, I never put down the torch you obviously don't know me very well.

Don't give him too much credit, he's just fascinated by the fire.

#170 9 years ago

Im working directly with someone right now to get a more specific quote for the acrylic. I will let you know in the morning what i end up with.

#171 9 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

10-20 kits: i could handle
    20+ i dont have the funds or time to front this
    Agreed, the expo would be the perfect place to have everyone pickup their stuff. I just dont know if im going. Anyone else interested in picking up the torch on this one?

Expo would not be a perfect place as I know I am not going. It should be an option but not a requirement.

#172 9 years ago

This would look cool at my office at work.

#173 9 years ago

btw, just an fyi for everyone. shipping for the displays and power supplies from HK is really quick.

I placed my orders for them last weekend and received the power supplies yesterday and the lcd panels are due to arrive today.

#174 9 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

btw, just an fyi for everyone. shipping for the displays and power supplies from HK is really quick.
    I placed my orders for them last weekend and received the power supplies yesterday and the lcd panels are due to arrive today.

Sweet. How long you been waiting on the RUN-DMD PCB?

#175 9 years ago

I ordered them at the same time this past weekend. I received my shipping confirmation from limpan on tuesday.

given how shipments from the eu and uk go, I don't expect to see the pc boards for at least another 2 weeks.

also, u.s. customs opened and inspected my power supplies.

#176 9 years ago

I would always be late owning this...

in fear would miss a cool animation

very cool right there

#177 9 years ago

Regarding shipping: The first 16 orders were shipped out on monday and tuesday this week. I'm now waiting for a second batch of Run DMD:s from Torbjörn that will hopefully fill and complete the waiting list. So if you haven't received a tracking number yet, your order will be shipped as soon as I get more PCB:s. I'll keep you guys updated in this thread!

#178 9 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I ordered them at the same time this past weekend. I received my shipping confirmation from limpan on tuesday.
    given how shipments from the eu and uk go, I don't expect to see the pc boards for at least another 2 weeks.
    also, u.s. customs opened and inspected my power supplies.

When I ordered my Run DMD, I believe it was held in customs for about 6 days. It took longer for customs to inspect my package then it took for the delivery from Sweden to the U.S.A. I believe the package made it to the U.S. in three days.

#179 9 years ago

OK, i was given a quote of $33.93 for BOTH front and back panels based off of the CAD drawings. Thats assuming we order 10+, the more we order the more this goes down. Obviously someone isnt going to handle all this for free, so lets say $50 for the set.... fair?

BTW does the thickness seem right?
    Front:
    Material: Gray transparent acrylic, Thickness: 0.125 inch. Size:
    Piece (1): 25.079 x 7.146 inches.
    Back:
    Material: Acrylic, Opaque Black, Thickness: 0.118 inch. Size:
    Piece (1): 25.079 x 7.146 inches.

Ill have to order a prototype or ensure everything is 100% and that runs about $80.

#180 9 years ago

I'm still waiting to hear back from both ponoko and joe kase @ laseriffic for pricing and I was thinking the same thing. tinted gray for the front panel and solid black for the back panel

#181 9 years ago

Limpan- do you know the specs on the standoffs/screws/spacers used for the frame?

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=29457

The post gives me an overview and how many of each we need, but doesnt provide thread size and length of these. Im sure i can find these for cheap, i just need to know exactly what im looking for.

#182 9 years ago

EDIT: Realized i was being an ass and possibly rail-roading someones business.

#183 9 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

Limpan- do you know the specs on the standoffs/screws/spacers used for the frame?
    http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=29457
    The post gives me an overview and how many of each we need, but doesnt provide thread size and length of these. Im sure i can find these for cheap, i just need to know exactly what im looking for.

I think the standoffs shown on that page are thread x length (mm).

40mm = 1-5/8"
    30mm = 1-1/8"
    16mm = 5/8"
    12mm = 1/2"
    8mm = 5/16"

Threads would probably be 6-32 or 8-32 depending whether M3 or M4. Not sure what the standards are for hex spacers and lengths but you can probably find what you need here for lengths.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=358

#184 9 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Threads would probably be 6-32 or 8-32 depending whether M3 or M4.

6-32 and 8-32 are SAE, while M3 and M4 are metric. If you're saying to use a 6-32 screw and 6-32 standoff in place of a M3 screw/standoff, that I'd agree with.

If you're buying a bunch of hardware, McMaster-Carr would probably have more stuff at better prices than Pinball Life.

#185 9 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

6-32 and 8-32 are SAE, while M3 and M4 are metric. If you're saying to use a 6-32 screw and 6-32 standoff in place of a M3 screw/standoff, that I'd agree with.
    If you're buying a bunch of hardware, McMaster-Carr would probably have more stuff at better prices than Pinball Life.

Yep that's what I'm saying. Probably hundreds of retailers are going to have better prices that even MMC. Just citing an example of some different sizes that are available.

#186 9 years ago

Prices are pretty cheap at Grainger and i can pick them up on the way home to save on shipping.

#187 9 years ago

Here's the only caveat that I'm thinking you will run into using imperial standoffs, for this project, and the Alibaba displays. The displays already have the threaded metal studs in them that you screw the standoffs into first. I'm assuming these are probably metric as they are coming from HK. Granted, you probably could run the proper metric tap in the threaded end that attaches to the display and it might work. Just throwing that out there. Or just source the metric standoffs somewhere.

#188 9 years ago

I found some pretty good alternatives to their parts on ebay. my list is at home. I'll post links tomorrow

#189 9 years ago

While this product looks to be amazing, this thread seems to have focused more on the acrylic frames than anything else.

Regarding the Run-DMD PCB (i.e. the brains of it)... what does it take to actually get the clock and animations up-and-running? Is the clock embedded in the PCB chips or is it included on the SD card? I'm gathering that the animations are not included but can be (maybe) downloaded somewhere.

Anyone care to put together a concise post on how you'd go from unboxing, assembly, firmware flashing, animation loading, etc.?

#190 9 years ago
    Quoted from txx3ddq442:

While this product looks to be amazing, this thread seems to have focused more on the acrylic frames than anything else.
    Regarding the Run-DMD PCB (i.e. the brains of it)... what does it take to actually get the clock and animations up-and-running? Is the clock embedded in the PCB chips or is it included on the SD card? I'm gathering that the animations are not included but can be (maybe) downloaded somewhere.
    Anyone care to put together a concise post on how you'd go from unboxing, assembly, firmware flashing, animation loading, etc.?

Animations are hard-coded into the software it runs off of. (The OS). So would be the clock, I'm assuming. The SD card would hold the whole OS that the small card runs off of.

From what I understand -
    You get the board, you download the SD card image, 'burn' the image onto the SD card, place SD card into board, plug diaplsy into board, then turn on board while holding a button down that puts it into 'setup' mode. In setup mode you select the type of screen/display, set the time. That's it.

The original statement in the opening post:

Quoted from Limpan:

Anyway, the reason I created this post is because a guy (Torbjörn) here in Sweden has produced a beautiful little PCB called Run-DMD. The Run-DMD is capable of displaying DMD animations from all kinds of pinball games (the unit ships without any software and the user needs to make their own image containing animations of stuff they own their right to), and it also serves as a clock.

Is completely misleading, since there's only 'one' OS, and you cannot put your own animations into it.

Edit: Okay, I'm wrong, see below. The animations are still encoded onto the SD though, I tried opening the 'drive image' with no luck.

#191 9 years ago
    Quoted from txx3ddq442:

It's all pretty much on the run-dmd website. The firmware is on a chip that plugs into a socket on the board. The SD card is just the animations. Updated firmware is with a new chip. Buy the board and displays, attach the ribbon cables and 5V wiring. Plug in the adapter. The clock now works as a clock. Download the animations and the clock grabs the images off the SD card. Then you need a frame...

#192 9 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

It's all pretty much on the run-dmd website. The firmware is on a chip that plugs into a socket on the board. The SD card is just the animations. Updated firmware is with a new chip.

Ah okay, I stand corrected, the SD card is JUST the animations. (Still encoded and can't be changed, but at least it's not the whole OS..)

#193 9 years ago
    Quoted from lurch:

Prices are pretty cheap at Grainger and i can pick them up on the way home to save on shipping.

Bolt Depot has great prices as well

#194 9 years ago
    Quoted from mac622:

Bolt Depot has great prices as well

but if I'm not mistaken, bolt depot doesn't carry the stand offs

#195 9 years ago

rather than [further] derail Limpan's thread, I've created a new one to display the bulk purchase options for the frames and hardware for those of us in north america.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-bulk-purchase-for-frames-north-america#post-2342729

#196 9 years ago

Extremely impressive! I'd love to have one, but I'd probably have to buy everything in a kit with instructions to get it right. Putting something like this together from random bits and pieces is definitely not my strong suit. I'd almost certainly find a way to mess it up.

#197 9 years ago

I received my displays from ali express last night. can't say that I've overly impressed with their packaging skills (or lack thereof). 5 of the 6 displays were crushed on one corned and the power cables are not long enough to be used to chain the 2 displays together.

I'm currently attempting to work out a replacement shipment with ali express.

IMG_0680.JPGIMG_0680.JPG
    IMG_0681.JPGIMG_0681.JPG
    IMG_0682.JPGIMG_0682.JPG
    IMG_0684.JPGIMG_0684.JPG
    IMG_0687.JPGIMG_0687.JPG

#198 9 years ago

Ouch. I hope youre able to get it worked out. Please let us know, at least for peace of mind.

#199 9 years ago

Got mine and they were packaged the same way but mine are fine.

#200 9 years ago

Ouch, that does not look too good!

Last night when I went to sleep I couldn't stop thinking about the frames and the HUB08 DMD:s from Aliexpress and how they work together with the FrancoB frame. Just so everyone knows: The frame FrancoB made works with the only two models of HUB08 DMD:s we have seen (yet). But if they chooses to change the space between the fastening bolts on the HUB08 DMD:s, I guess you would have to drill the frame to fasten them. Not the biggest issue, but someone ordering HUB08 DMD:s from Aliexpress should probably measure and double check them against the CAD files from FrancoB before you guys decide to place a massive group buy order.

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.