(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    PacDotsmall (resized).jpg
    LEDarcade2 (resized).jpg
    1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    52978E50-7D5F-4414-B1A7-D67B2D69D694 (resized).jpeg
    Run dmc (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0074 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3959 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210925_171305935.MP (resized).jpg
    HUB08 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD (resized).JPG
    669C1ED9-72C7-47F8-889A-E8731D50942E.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 33.
    #101 9 years ago

Hi everyone,

It's now possible to order the Run-DMD from our webshop again. Torbjörn is on his way to me with a batch of PCB:s, and then we'll continue to restock with some more in the beginning of april. There's still a few slots left for the PCB:s I get this afternoon.

#102 9 years ago

Ordered

#103 9 years ago

Can you buy the clock all together and ready to go? If so, how much is it? I read through the posts i must have missed it? Thanks

#104 9 years ago

its great

#106 9 years ago

Hmm, a question. I'm going to run this with a spare Stern LED DMD I have. The site says I should use a 5A power supply, but the link is to a 3A power supply.

Which is correct?

Edit: Hmm, the PDF says "If only a standard pinball LED DMD is connected to the Run-DMD, a 5V 3A power supply might be sufficient." so I'm guessing that's the correct info.

#107 9 years ago

Ordered.

#108 9 years ago

Looks like I missed out on this batch.

#109 9 years ago

Wow, what an amazing response. Thank you for all your orders. Tomorrow I'll pack things up and hopefully I can get the first 10 Run-DMD:s out, and more will follow the rest of the week.

More Run-DMD:s are coming in the next few weeks too from Torbjörn, so I'll just continue to pack and send it to you guys!

#110 9 years ago

For anyone wondering: I am the guy who supplies the frames for Germany. After being contacted by mitch1985 I also supplied a frame for him. And yes, shipping is quite expenive due to the size (70cm wide), but then again it is DHL and should arrive quickly and safely.

I am not able to provide individual frames for anyone else for the next 2-3 months as I am busy with "the German ripoff" of this clock as it has been called. I am not the producer of said item but will provide the frame and a few additional parts.

I am, however, willing to do a bulk oder of the frame, e.g. to limpan or anyone in the states, in order to save shipping costs.

In addition to anything else I am incredibly busy due to work for the next few weeks, so I might not be able to respond to PMs in a timely fashion, or to read up on everything here.

Keep in mind. If anyone is interested in organizing a bulk order of frames to anywhere in the world then please feel free to contact me. And by bulk i mean a very conservative 3 and more.

#111 9 years ago

I'd be wiling to serve as a staging area for a bulk order here in the states. I'll pm you with details. I'd be willing to take delivery of say 10-15 sets for an initial order.

edit:
    that is to say if and only if the costs are reasonable

#112 9 years ago

No offense to anyone, but I am only interested in frames if they are done stateside. Not interested in adding tons of extra cost just for shipping or waiting 3 months. This is just some laser cut acrylic and hardware, not rocket science.

#113 9 years ago
    Quoted from kbliznick:

No offense to anyone, but I am only interested in frames if they are done stateside. Not interested in adding tons of extra cost just for shipping or waiting 3 months. This is just some laser cut acrylic and hardware, not rocket science.

I agree, this is basic stuff, it's pretty silly to ship it overseas. We'll figure it out in the US.

Plus, I dunno what other people are doing, but I'm using a real LED DMD for this, not the two boards chained together. To me it will be much cooler being the same size as a real game. So my frames will be made to cover that.

#114 9 years ago

Just to inform you "tons of extra costs" would be about 6$ per piece for an order of 15. Just saying. I know it is not rocket science, but then again the RunDMD controller isn't either, depending on your skills. But I guess you've got Aurich who can help you with that. I just happend to be "that guy" for Germany.

Please do not take this the wrong way, as the RunDMD is a pretty cool idea and I really do not want to look condescending. Thorbjörn (the guy who makes the boards) seems to be a nice guy to deal with and I wish him all the best with his project. I hope limpan does not resort to too much bashing of our "German ripoff" as it already has a bunch of features that the RunDMD is lacking In addition to that it will be a project for the German pinball community that we do in our spare time without the goal of making more than just a slight profit, so we are not looking to international.
    Yet

You guys can either figure it out on your own or ask FrancoB form arcadeotaku. He initially offered to give out the files for free but then did a full 180° and requested 100GBP (=150$) for the files. Of course this happened after a batch was ordered from Thorbjörn, so something along the "Well, now that you have placed your order I like to change my conditions". Not such a pleasant chap to work with.

@limpan: If you are interested I can provide you with my frame CAD files for a RunDMD board as "compensation for my troubles". You can then offer them to all your customers for free, so they are able to make the frames when and where they want to. I guess that would be a service to increase sales quite a bit
    I made two versions, one with and one without parts to cover the sides. The power supply can be embedded in the back of the case eliminating the need for a special 5V extension cord. Even though the manual does state that the dual-color LED panels should not be run at full brightness this poses no problem when the power supply is directly attached to the panels/controller board.

#115 9 years ago

I received a quote from Nycon, and while the shipping costs for 15 sets aren't too bad (when broken down per set), the actual cost of what amounts to about $5-7 worth of plexi and another $10 in hardware are what I would consider to be too expensive to import.

and since it appears that the cad files for the frames will not be given out for [free] (at least according to Nycon), I guess what we need now is for someone that has already ordered a complete kit w/ a frame to provide a good scan of their plexi panels so that someone over on "this side of the pond" can get them cut and offer them up at what I would term as a "reasonable cost"

#116 9 years ago
    Quoted from Nycon:

I hope limpan does not resort to too much bashing of our "German ripoff" as it already has a bunch of features that the RunDMD is lacking In addition to that it will be a project for the German pinball community that we do in our spare time without the goal of making more than just a slight profit, so we are not looking to international.

Ahh, so you are stating that the german product that is using the Run-DMD board and FrancoB frame made for the Run-DMD as advertisement on their website is not a ripoff?

Anyway, I'm not here to make trouble, and I'm sorry if I made anyone upset by saying that in the first place. It was not my intention. I'm here at Pinside to support the Run-DMD project and make it available for the public mass. If you want to help the US people making a group buy containing frames, please go ahead, but let's not focus on other products than the Run-DMD in this thread from now on.

#117 9 years ago

Apparently acrylics is cheaper in the US than here in Germany. 5-7$ worth of plexi does not even buy you the front piece here. It was just an offer and, to be honest, I am kind of happy that my services are not desired here as I do not really have the time to do it and, believe me or not, I am not really making a significant profit on the frames. On a side note it would be nice to know about the prices for acrylics in the US. Here 5mm (=1/5 inch) is about 90$/m² or ~9$/sqft. If any of the guys working with acrylics could comment on that I would be thankful.

@limpan: It was not my intention to bash your product or mention anything else here, and I will not do so in the future. If you guys decide to do your own frames then there is not much I can contribute here anyway. I wish you the best of luck.

#118 9 years ago
    Quoted from Nycon:

Here 5mm (=1/5 inch) is about 90$/m² or ~9$/sqft.

I don't really do much with it, but I've bought in small quanities from USPlastic.com.

Here's their 3/16" tinted, and it's a bit less, but not hugely.
    http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25332&catid=442

I would think 1/8" would be thick enough for this application, and it is a good bit less. Clear is also quite a bit less.

#119 9 years ago

I am interested in converting my Stern led dmd. If someone completes this would you be kind enough to pm me directions and parts list. Thanks

#120 9 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I don't really do much with it, but I've bought in small quanities from USPlastic.com.
    Here's their 3/16" tinted, and it's a bit less, but not hugely.
    http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25332&catid=442
    I would think 1/8" would be thick enough for this application, and it is a good bit less. Clear is also quite a bit less.

it's about half that price when purchased from eplastics.com
    http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Plexiglass_Acrylic_Sheet_Bronze_Grey_Smoked_Gray_Colored/ACRY20640-187PM48X96

#121 9 years ago
    Quoted from msj2222:

I am interested in converting my Stern led dmd. If someone completes this would you be kind enough to pm me directions and parts list. Thanks

I believe that this is the link that you're looking for
    http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=29457

#122 9 years ago

would anyone who's purchased (and received) a complete kit (with the frames) be willing to scan the two frames and send them to me so that I can create files to them laser cut here (in the states) to help out the rest of the people here in the states looking to purchase a run-dmd but try and save some money?

#123 9 years ago

I may have a source here in the states that will be willing to laser cut the frames for us. once I have the other components in hand, I will try and knock out an EPS file for them based on the actual displays.

I'm thinking transparent gray (smoked) for the front (in front of the displays) and solid black for the back. and if I'm going to serve as a conduit for people here in the states, I'll check on pricing for the rest of the required hardware (stand-offs, screws, washers and nuts) and see what kind of pricing that we're looking at.

if you are interested, please reply so that I'll have an idea on what type of quantity I should be looking into.

note: this is strictly for the 2 frames and associated hardware. limpan should be your "go to" person for everything else.

#124 9 years ago

I might be interested but it depends on the price.

#125 9 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I may have a source here in the states that will be willing to laser cut the frames for us. once I have the other components in hand, I will try and knock out an EPS file for them based on the actual displays.
    I'm thinking transparent gray (smoked) for the front (in front of the displays) and solid black for the back. and if I'm going to serve as a conduit for people here in the states, I'll check on pricing for the rest of the required hardware (stand-offs, screws, washers and nuts) and see what kind of pricing that we're looking at.
    if you are interested, please reply so that I'll have an idea on what type of quantity I should be looking into.
    note: this is strictly for the 2 frames and associated hardware. limpan should be your "go to" person for everything else.

Are you thinking for the dual Alibaba displays, or an actual DMD? Not sure what people are using for their builds.

#126 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Are you thinking for the dual Alibaba displays, or an actual DMD? Not sure what people are using for their builds.

I am thinking about using the duel displays just because they are much bigger.

#127 9 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

Dual displays here as well. Bigger and cheaper. Although I believe the resolution is better with the pinball display, more shading levels.

I am up for 2 frames right now and probably a couple more shortly after that. These will make great gifts for a couple of my pinhead friends.

#128 9 years ago
    Quoted from kbliznick:

I am up for 2 frames right now and probably a couple more shortly after that. These will make great gifts for a couple of my pinhead friends.

I am in for a couple if it happened in a reasonable time frame.

#129 9 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I'm in if it fits the alibaba displays.

#130 9 years ago

If you are using a pinball dmd the frame plastic already exists at pinbits. I believe the new style stern speaker cover display panels (around $12-15 each) have holes that match the dmd PCB holes. Just need to add some spacers and a couple new holes for the run dmd PCB.

#131 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

the dual alibaba displays. if I can borrow one of my buddies newer stern type displays, I'll see about mocking up plans for frames for those as well.

#132 9 years ago

Sounds like people want the dual displays. I'm going to use a real DMD, but I'm sure I can design my own frame and have it cut if need be, it's not really that complicated.

#133 9 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

I'm thinking ColorDMD.

#134 9 years ago
    Quoted from audihere:

I'm thinking ColorDMD.

Why waste a perfectly good ColorDMD? I'm going to get two cheap tablets from Big Lots and run them side-by-side.

#135 9 years ago
    Quoted from audihere:

I'm thinking ColorDMD.

Not sure how you expect that to work. I could use one of my smart dmds, but then you are talking 250 for that. That just gets you the ability to chose your color. Problem is then you have to hide the over-sized sections of the LCD screen.

#136 9 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I'd definitely be in for this. I've ordered the 2 ali baba displays.

#137 9 years ago

Good news for everyone regarding the frame. FrancoB (the awesome frame designer from the UK) told me he will release the cad files now that everyone from the first batch has gotten theirs. I've got his permission to upload them on the run-dmd.com website, so I'll do that in the morning when I've received the files from him.

It seems like j_m_ is the man for creating a group buy, and if you all want, please go ahead and use this thread for the group buy discussion.

#138 9 years ago

I'm in for a set of frames for the Ali Baba displays.

Aurich, I may also be in for a set for an LED DMD since I'll have a spare one once Color DMD releases Metallica.

Let's keep both options available in this thread for anyone moving forward.

#139 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobertWinter:

I'm in for a set of frames for the Ali Baba displays.
    Aurich, I may also be in for a set for an LED DMD since I'll have a spare one once Color DMD releases Metallica.
    Let's keep both options available in this thread for anyone moving forward.

Sounds good to me. It's just some laser cut stuff, it's not a big deal. If the plans go up I can scale the big one down, or start from scratch if need be.

#140 9 years ago

I think using a Stern speaker panel mounted below a "Swap Box" would be a good option for a frame.

#141 9 years ago

I have an extra CFTBL tail light kit and deluxe panel. I am going to try and build one with that and install speakers to make it some type of sound system and clock in one.

#142 9 years ago

This is an incredible idea, but I think using it as just a clock is pretty limited in the possibilities. If there were some input pins on the board, someone could hook in a Raspberry Pi/Arduino/etc. and write some code to do things like scroll RSS feed news items between animations. Imagine getting the latest pinball news or Pinside forums threads between those animations, or making your own RSS feed that you update from your computer/phone to show off high scores on all your games.

#143 9 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

This is an incredible idea, but I think using it as just a clock is pretty limited in the possibilities. If there were some input pins on the board, someone could hook in a Raspberry Pi/Arduino/etc. and write some code to do things like scroll RSS feed news items between animations. Imagine getting the latest pinball news or Pinside forums threads between those animations, or making your own RSS feed that you update from your computer/phone to show off high scores on all your games.

Now that is a pretty sweet idea. Would be really cool to display tournament rankings.

#144 9 years ago

I really like all the new ideas coming up, and I talked with Torbjörn about a request that came here earlier about playing a sound every hour, and Torbjörn said he would make it possible to use the last pin available on the board for something like that.

It won't work out of the box with just a speaker, but he said (sorry for rough translation) that on the third COM port pin, a 0.5 second high (3.3V) pulse could be set to send out every whole hour (not in sleep mode). This signal can't be loaded with more than 20mA, like not with more than a diod/transistor or signal that could trigger another hardware. However, some other news around that third pin is coming up at a later point, but I can't give you guys too much information about it yet!

I guess that the above opens up for someone to build some extra hardware/speaker setup to be able to play sounds every once in a while.

I'll forward your thoughts about that RSS feed-scroll/news feed to Torbjörn as well!

Also, some good news regarding the frames: The CAD-files are available for download at http://run-dmd.com from now on thanks to the friendly designer FrancoB!

#146 9 years ago
    Quoted from XXVII:

Take a look at the open source alternative godmd at github. it is based on some olimex board pinguino micro. Should be pretty simple to add sound generation or even a esp8266 based wifi interface.

#147 9 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

Also, some good news regarding the frames: The CAD-files are available for download at http://run-dmd.com from now on thanks to the friendly designer FrancoB!

I tried to send the .dxf files to joe kase @ laseriffic.com but he said that he was unable to open them. does anyone have the ability to open and re-save them as .eps files and send them to me?

also, when I tried to view them with the online viewer on google drive, it showed the frames with the length of 52" (which can't be correct)

#148 9 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I tried to send the .dxf files to joe kase @ laseriffic.com but he said that he was unable to open them. does anyone have the ability to open and re-save them as .eps files and send them to me?
    also, when I tried to view them with the online viewer on google drive, it showed the frames with the length of 52" (which can't be correct)

Files sent to your email. They are drawn in millimeters. I plotted them out full scale to pdf and converted them to eps.

#149 9 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I believe the frame size is close to 25 " Wide X 7 1/4 Top and Bottom

#150 9 years ago

thank you both of you. this puts joe out of the picture since the maximum size that he can run is 24"

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.