New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,374 posts
  • 216 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by ddebuss
  • Topic is favorited by 194 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 139 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

A86B756D-831D-45A6-BF2D-65C2A317C3DC.jpeg
    2920F8D3-2E09-4545-A882-1AD049F51721.jpeg
    0F98DE37-61ED-4BAC-B4E4-E801EB0516A6.jpeg
    8E51387C-893B-4BEF-A21A-E55A9529DC93.jpeg
    79A55985-F113-4F10-97D9-3CB8D2C96F36.jpeg
    767CB138-FD71-44C6-8536-A8535CF33737 (resized).jpeg
    F6ECFF87-1FF4-4287-B960-247C64A7E936 (resized).jpeg
    AF23BF11-8C27-48B5-B892-840133E43175 (resized).jpeg
    hub12.gif
    IMG_4904 (resized).JPG
    cc_020.png
    pinsidebg (resized).jpg
    cc (resized).png
    20201021_125711 (resized).jpg
    20201022_102857 (resized).jpg
    35C9D685-F1D9-47ED-9932-1E1133DCB835 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1374 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 28.
    #1301 5 months ago

I believe that it's a 2.0mm x 5.5mm connector. on the one hand, you could always just replace the connector with something that accepts a 2.1mm x 5.5mm plug end

#1302 5 months ago

A Run-DMD Pinball has a 5.5x2.1.
    A Run-DMD Classic, Edge, and White have a 5.5x2.5.

Edit: The difference is because of the power draw. The 5.5x2.5 can handle more power which makes sense for the bigger displays. Also keep the extension as short as possible and as low a gauge number as possible. At 5v the voltage drop is very material over distance. If you need a power extension I have some available in !M and 2M lengths (if I remember the lenghts correctly). I also have right angle power connectors as well. Just PM me. I didn't put them in my store although I guess I probably should.

#1303 5 months ago

So my DMD clock now has a green square in the upper left corner that appears when it lights up that area. You can still see the image behind it, but it’s displaying it as green instead of orange. Any ideas how to fix this?

35C9D685-F1D9-47ED-9932-1E1133DCB835 (resized).jpeg56A40781-5FC2-47E2-9630-DF3226AECF94 (resized).jpeg
    #1304 5 months ago
    Quoted from BudManPinFan:

So my DMD clock now has a green square in the upper left corner that appears when it lights up that area. You can still see the image behind it, but it’s displaying it as green instead of orange. Any ideas how to fix this?
    [quoted image][quoted image]

replace the panels.

#1305 5 months ago

Any ideas how to fix this?

Try taking it apart and reseating the ribbon cable connections. Also, try to wiggle them while apart and powered on to see if that changes anything.

#1306 5 months ago
    Quoted from BriPin:

Try taking it apart and reseating the ribbon cable connections. Also, try to wiggle them while apart and powered on to see if that changes anything.

Thanks! I’ll try it out and see if it helps.

#1307 5 months ago
    Quoted from BriPin:

I was getting strange video display on my RunDMD during the animations. I took the RunDMD apart, unplugged and plugged in all connectors and changed the CMOS battery since it was indicating the battery needed to be replaced. I have had the RunDMD for about 5 years now.

For now everything seems to be working properly again.

#1308 5 months ago

Defiantly the place to start. Looks like a dead red driver for that part of the panel. I'd also try swapping the ribbon cables as another test. However this certainly looks a lot like a hardware problem.

2 weeks later
    #1309 4 months ago

For those that have their DMDs mounted on the wall, do you leave it running 24/7? Do you use the sleep timer? Do you unplug it when not in use? Just trying to figure out the best way to run it. Also ddebuss, I may be interested in one of those 1M power extensions for an Edge.

#1310 4 months ago
    Quoted from longwetsocks:

For those that have their DMDs mounted on the wall, do you leave it running 24/7? Do you use the sleep timer? Do you unplug it when not in use? Just trying to figure out the best way to run it. Also ddebuss, I may be interested in one of those 1M power extensions for an Edge.

Mine is and has been on 24/7 since I built it several years ago.

#1311 4 months ago
    Quoted from fnosm:

Mine is and has been on 24/7 since I built it several years ago.

24/7 for me.

#1312 4 months ago

have it set on from 6am to 10pm and then asleep 10pm to 6am as very bright and flashes & lights up a good section of the house otherwise

#1313 4 months ago

I have mine on a motion sensor.

#1314 4 months ago

Also ddebuss, I may be interested in one of those 1M power extensions for an Edge.

PM me for details but we are looking at $6 shipped via first class mail.

#1315 4 months ago

Finally put my Run-DMD together tonight. Looks awesome. I grabbed the image from swinks and it's loaded with animations from a ton of games but it's missing a couple of my favorites. Does anyone have an image with LOTR and TSPP animations or has no one ever added those?

#1316 4 months ago

Finally put my Run-DMD together tonight. Looks awesome. I grabbed the image from swinks and it's loaded with animations from a ton of games but it's missing a couple of my favorites. Does anyone have an image with LOTR and TSPP animations or has no one ever added those?

the unit does not always play all images and sometimes in re-flashing shows different images - I have 2 cards and sometimes swap them

#1317 4 months ago

Hello

Can anyone make/burn me an SD card loaded ready to go and mail it? I will pay for the card and service plus the shipping

#1318 4 months ago
    Quoted from TonyScoots:

Hello
    Can anyone make/burn me an SD card loaded ready to go and mail it? I will pay for the card and service plus the shipping

I have the info here if it helps
    https://swinks.com.au/mod-manuals

#1319 4 months ago

Mine runs 24/7.. Built it a few years ago...

#1320 4 months ago

[quoted image][quoted image]

100% dead red driver chip for that section of the display. Can’t be fixed unless you can smd solder far easier to just replace that panel they are extremely cheap

2 weeks later
    #1321 4 months ago

Made a little video on building my Run-DMD for anyone that's interested:

#1322 4 months ago

Thanks for the great video. I think this is the first time I've seen someone do a build video on the pinball DMD display. I've adjusted the documentation to make it a bit more clear on the controller orientation for the rear panel. I still have a bunch of kits ready to ship that will include the older documentation. Any future kits will have the updated documentation.

#1323 4 months ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

I still have a bunch of kits ready to ship that will include the older documentation. Any future kits will have the updated documentation.

I just ordered a kit and am now looking to order the RunDMD. I was on their website and they are out of stock on the Edge but have the White version in stock. Do you know what the difference is between the 2 versions? Will the kit work with the RunDMD White Controller?
    Thanks
    Ed

#1324 4 months ago

Awesome video! I have just fixed my clock, I was having a problem with the SD card, ordered a new one and loaded it up! Everything works great now! Love this clock

Does anyone know if you can order a Pico size one for the desk ? I would love to have one at work

#1325 4 months ago

Would really like to have a pico version of this but that doesn't seem to be ever coming back. With respect to the RPI2DMD product - it seems like a great product but if you are in the US you are out of luck. I have been trying for 5 months to get what is needed for this and wasted my money on the software etc as I cannot get a frame kit. The guy for the frames has been extremely unresponsive (2 messages in 5 months of me contacting him numerous times) with the end result being he will get back to me about shipping to the US. NO ONE on that forum has been willing to assist me with intermediary shipping or even interested in building one and sending it to me (offered to pay them for their time etc). So IMHO that project is a waste of time unless you can make all your own stuff for the frame which I do not have the ability for that.

#1326 4 months ago
    Quoted from eharan:

I just ordered a kit and am now looking to order the RunDMD. I was on their website and they are out of stock on the Edge but have the White version in stock. Do you know what the difference is between the 2 versions? Will the kit work with the RunDMD White Controller?
    Thanks
    Ed

The difference between the Edge and White is that the Edge is compatible with HUB08 LED Panels, while the White is compatible with HUB75 LED Panels. Both boards are compatible with LED Pinball DMDs.

#1327 4 months ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

Would really like to have a pico version of this but that doesn't seem to be ever coming back. With respect to the RPI2DMD product - it seems like a great product but if you are in the US you are out of luck. I have been trying for 5 months to get what is needed for this and wasted my money on the software etc as I cannot get a frame kit. The guy for the frames has been extremely unresponsive (2 messages in 5 months of me contacting him numerous times) with the end result being he will get back to me about shipping to the US. NO ONE on that forum has been willing to assist me with intermediary shipping or even interested in building one and sending it to me (offered to pay them for their time etc). So IMHO that project is a waste of time unless you can make all your own stuff for the frame which I do not have the ability for that.

I can probably help you with the frame. Provide a link to what you have in mind and I'll see if I can help with it.

#1328 4 months ago

if ddebuss can't help, I still have 3 frames left

#1329 4 months ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

I have been eyeing that setup for awhile now, but didn't know if it would be easy getting the software to run it since it's on a French forum, that I'm not a member of, and didn't want to waste my time doing a donation then getting ignored when I asked for it.

Have you seen these?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3783845

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3835707

Jhttps://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3841081

#1330 4 months ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

I have been eyeing that setup for awhile now, but didn't know if it would be easy getting the software to run it since it's on a French forum, that I'm not a member of, and didn't want to waste my time doing a donation then getting ignored when I asked for it.
    Have you seen these?
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3783845
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3835707
    Jhttps://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3841081

The forum seems fine but yeah I am basically ignored. As you mentioned guide is in french only and they say they will do an English one at some point. Hell might freeze over first.

Regarding the frames - it is a guy in Germany and he is terribly unresponsive and has closed orders.

As far as having one done made in the US haven't looked into it. I want a small display for a desk not the normal size kind most people make. The run-dmd pico would actually be perfect.

With respect to the software and images etc that is done by Luigi and seems nice enough but outside of the forum post and giving me the basic info that is in the forum all he does is refer me back to the forum thread. At this point it feels like a waste of $$ so lesson learned.

#1331 4 months ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

I can probably help you with the frame. Provide a link to what you have in mind and I'll see if I can help with it.

I will see what I can find out but every time I log into that forum now all I can't see the pics and info in the frame thread anymore. That forum is really difficult to work with and annoying as hell.

#1332 4 months ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

I will see what I can find out but every time I log into that forum now all I can't see the pics and info in the frame thread anymore. That forum is really difficult to work with and annoying as hell.

It's important to decide on the physical size which will drive your pixel spacing number (P2, P2.5, P5, etc). A regular DMD from a pinball machine is P2.5. You could possibly do something smaller as well but it may be challenging to find a P2.0 panel that's 32 pixels tall. Note - The "size" isn't a major cost input for any of this stuff meaning a P2.5 display is similar in cost to a P5 display... You might find that the P2.0 panels are more expensive but it requires less material to make the frame. The controller solution would be identical between the two.

Note I have some P3 and P4 panels in inventory so I could probably build a frame with panel only solution that you could add your own controller system to. Reality is I'd probably put a cheap generic controller in it with a test program so you could see it all works when you get it.

#1333 4 months ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Note I have some P3 and P4 panels in inventory so I could probably build a frame with panel only solution that you could add your own controller system to. Reality is I'd probably put a cheap generic controller in it with a test program so you could see it all works when you get it.

I would be interested in one of these as well if you can put something together. Would love to have one with video game animations in addition to the Pinball Run-DMD that I currently have.

Ed

#1334 4 months ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

It's important to decide on the physical size which will drive your pixel spacing number (P2, P2.5, P5, etc). A regular DMD from a pinball machine is P2.5. You could possibly do something smaller as well but it may be challenging to find a P2.0 panel that's 32 pixels tall. Note - The "size" isn't a major cost input for any of this stuff meaning a P2.5 display is similar in cost to a P5 display... You might find that the P2.0 panels are more expensive but it requires less material to make the frame. The controller solution would be identical between the two.

What would be the smallest size panel as I am looking to do one for a desk so don't want something too big.

#1335 4 months ago
    Quoted from GCS2000:

What would be the smallest size panel as I am looking to do one for a desk so don't want something too big.

Including a frame I'd guess a P2.5 would be 14"w x 5"h. IF there was a P2.0 32x64 panels then it could be as small as 11"w x 4.25"h. I have yet to find a P2.0 in a usable configuration. Just looked again and no luck.

1 month later
    #1336 63 days ago

Any chance of being able to update the Heavy Metal pin animations to the clock?

3 weeks later
    #1337 39 days ago

Is there any source for the regular replacement HUB08 dual color display panels?

H have a run-DMD edge and need a replacement panel for my clock

#1338 39 days ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Is there any source for the regular replacement HUB08 dual color display panels?

Aliexpress is your only hope. There are several good vendors there. I'd definitely plan to replace both of the panels even if you only need 1 of them. I'd even consider getting a spare. The Hub08 stuff is definitely not as common as it used to be.

#1339 39 days ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Aliexpress is your only hope. There are several good vendors there. I'd definitely plan to replace both of the panels even if you only need 1 of them. I'd even consider getting a spare. The Hub08 stuff is definitely not as common as it used to be.

I found these after an hour of searching:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32633668702.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.16313c00dh5Sac&mp=1

Will these work?

#1340 39 days ago

Specs are right. I don't see why not. I've purchased from this vendor before and it was a good experience. The Aliexpress search is terrible...

#1341 39 days ago

My clock has been rock solid for 5 years running 24/7. With no maintenance whatsoever lol.

Now it started resetting every time an animation would start and wont display the menu.
    It just flashes and resets.

I changed the coin battery (oddly it wasnt dead), I flashed the sdcard (B134 image) but no joy.

I bought a spare clock board a couple months back but it has a factory defect on it. The battery holder is missing the metal clip so it wont install its battery. Its surface mount, so a difficult repair. I should send it back but for now I hot glued the battery down and it works.

I changed everything and even tried 4 different sdcards, still no joy...

The problem ends up being the power supply!

On a hunch I changed the jumpers from orange to either just red or green. The animations went slightly longer before the reset.

I happened to have a spare power adapter, since I bought 2 being from China...

I plugged in the new supply and everything is back to normal. In fact the clock is brighter and more vibrant!

It amazing how one gets used to things like a clock lol. The game room seems to lack life without it.

So, if the clock is resetting and has lost its settings and just keeps repeating the verbose startup text.

Most likely its the power adapter.

These clocks need quite a bit of power to light up the displays and not reboot the controller.

#1342 39 days ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Specs are right. I don't see why not. I've purchased from this vendor before and it was a good experience. The Aliexpress search is terrible...

Great, Ill order those.

My clock now works perfectly it just has a slight missing couple dots. They might have been there for years lol.
    I just happened to scrutinize it during a full screen animation and a couple dots were black.

I just happened to notice it during my repairs.

The settings should have an "all dots" test to check out the display, it might be helpful.

#1343 39 days ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

The settings should have an "all dots" test to check out the display, it might be helpful.

There is a display test option in the tools menu.

#1344 39 days ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

There is a display test option in the tools menu.

Thanks!

#1345 39 days ago

My poor brand new clock board.

20201021_125711 (resized).jpg20201022_102857 (resized).jpg

Its really nice! All surface mount and no socketed chips.

I hot glued the battety in. The clothespin didnt stay on lol.

I really wanted to use it, but i put my old one back in.

I ordered another, it was the last one for now.

I also ordered the new panels that are one complete piece instead of lots of little square modules.

Ill rebuild it this winter as a snowy day project.

If i can get the part to fix this board, ill offer it here in case someone wants one.

I don't really need 2 spares.

#1346 33 days ago

New battery holder will be sent out tomorrow pinballinreno

I've not been active here at Pinside for a while, but send me a PM or ping me here in the thread if I've missed anything.
    Run-DMD Edge, White & Pinball MK2 are all back in stock, if anyone was waiting to buy while they were out of stock: https://run-dmd.com

#1347 33 days ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

New battery holder will be sent out tomorrow pinballinreno
    I've not been active here at Pinside for a while, but send me a PM or ping me here in the thread if I've missed anything.
    Run-DMD Edge, White & Pinball MK2 are all back in stock, if anyone was waiting to buy while they were out of stock: https://run-dmd.com

Great news!
    Thanks

2 weeks later
    #1348 19 days ago

Instead of Black Friday I'm doing Black November. Thought some of you considering a Pinball DMD display that I'd post it here.

Black November "2020" Specials - Expires 12/1 or until supplies run out.
    - Free shipping - Coupon "NOV-2020" (without the quotes) - Applies to most items in Pinside gameroommods store.
    - 1x J_M_ Pinball DMD acrylic frame kit - Regular $35 / This month $30 (free shipping with coupon NOV-2020)
    - 4x Pinball DMD acrylic frame kits - Regular $95 / This month $90 (free shipping with coupon NOV-2020)
    - 5x Pinball DMD acrylic frame kits - Regular $110 / This month $100 (free shipping with coupon NOV-2020)
    - 6x Pinball DMD acrylic frame kits - Regular $125 / This month $110 (free shipping with coupon NOV-2020)

Edit: Forgot the link to the store page. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02128-pinball-dmd-acrylic-frame-kit

#1349 19 days ago

Just ordered a frame kit! Also ordered a MK2 board from Run-DMD's website limpan

Does anyone know approx how long it will take to make the trip to the States?

#1350 19 days ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Just ordered a frame kit! Also ordered a MK2 board from Run-DMD's website limpan
    Does anyone know approx how long it will take to make the trip to the States?

Ditto, I just did the same exact thing. Now off to search for a DMD.

a little later . . .

I'm stoked! I was able to track down a nice pre-owned DMD at a fair price by posting a wanted ad here on Pinside. Now I just have to wait for everything to arrive.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 119.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 68.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Other
    YouBentMyWookie
    $ 55.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 25.00
    Electronics
    PIN-UPS
    $ 29.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 46.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 17.00
    $ 22.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos LLC
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 14.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 14.95
    Pinball Machine
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 229.99
    There are 1374 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 28.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside