(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    PacDotsmall (resized).jpg
    LEDarcade2 (resized).jpg
    1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    52978E50-7D5F-4414-B1A7-D67B2D69D694 (resized).jpeg
    Run dmc (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0074 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3959 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210925_171305935.MP (resized).jpg
    HUB08 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD (resized).JPG
    669C1ED9-72C7-47F8-889A-E8731D50942E.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 33.
    #1251 3 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

I am not a computer geek, but I recently read that SD cards are made for storage, not continual re-use. The article said that people who have tons of pictures on them have been having problems if they use them for continual access and re access. Again...don't burn me if its something people are already aware of.

Thanks for sharing, I hadn't heard this.

#1252 3 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

I am not a computer geek, but I recently read that SD cards are made for storage, not continual re-use. The article said that people who have tons of pictures on them have been having problems if they use them for continual access and re access. Again...don't burn me if its something people are already aware of.

Ive been running the original sandisk card for years 24/7.

So far no issues at all.

#1253 3 years ago

keep in mind with my clock the sandisk could have a issue and not be the brand - just trying to isolate the issues.

I have my clock on a timer for wake at 6am and off at 10pm.
    one disc just keeps going but the other is very touchy being the sandisc.

I did not know that of the disc that should be used for constant re-saving - maybe they should of went for a usb if that is try ???

#1254 3 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

keep in mind with my clock the sandisk could have a issue and not be the brand - just trying to isolate the issues.
    I have my clock on a timer for wake at 6am and off at 10pm.
    one disc just keeps going but the other is very touchy being the sandisc.
    I did not know that of the disc that should be used for constant re-saving - maybe they should of went for a usb if that is try ???

Sd-card to usb adapter?
    Will the firmware see it?

It would be fun to try.

#1255 3 years ago

I’ve found that the mini SD cards (when used in an adapter) tend to be quite flaky in the RUN-DMD clocks. I have started using SanDisk SDHC UHS-1 cards (16 GB) and have had zero problems with these cards.
    5 Pack - SanDisk Ultra 16GB SD SDHC Memory Flash Card UHS-I Class 10 Read Speed up to 48MB/s 320X SDSDUNB-016G-GN3IN Wholesale Lot + (5 Cases) (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IMKEMC6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_NK8UEb60TN3Z7)

#1256 3 years ago
    Quoted from TonyScoots:

Help!
    For some reason my clock keeps doing this! Just lines. I have to reboot it everyday now, happens a few times throughout the day
    Any suggestions
    Thank you guys[quoted image]

Same thing is happening again, I tried to take it apart and reconnect everything but that did not fix it. Do you think it’s the SD card? Maybe it’s corrupt

#1257 3 years ago

My favorite hypothesis about the failures on these is that if they lose power at the wrong time the card can be corrupted. So I have set the timer to turn it on daily at 10:59 PM and off at 11:00 PM. That way if I am in the game room I can turn it on and rest assured I won't accidentally leave it on for weeks exposing it to power surges or outages.

#1258 3 years ago
    Quoted from spblat:

My favorite hypothesis about the failures on these is that if they lose power at the wrong time the card can be corrupted. So I have set the timer to turn it on daily at 10:59 PM and off at 11:00 PM. That way if I am in the game room I can turn it on and rest assured I won't accidentally leave it on for weeks exposing it to power surges or outages.

So, 1 min of operation per day should be safe enough...lol

#1259 3 years ago
    Quoted from TonyScoots:

Same thing is happening again, I tried to take it apart and reconnect everything but that did not fix it. Do you think it’s the SD card? Maybe it’s corrupt

yes I think it is the card..

#1260 3 years ago

Following this thread, I was having the same issue. Clock would run for a month and then the display would freeze. Tried several SD cards and even tried Micro SD cards with adapters.

I did many flashes, restores, formatting and copying the image again and again. Not an issue of making the image, but every time it would to the freeze after a couple of weeks or months.

jfesler was the genius that helped me solve this. It's not the capacity, its the speed!

I was using SDHC, XC 1, and HC 1 cards. I was told to use 80MB/s - class 10 - UHS-I version at least.

I took a chance and bought Refurbished 16 GB cards off Ebay and the clock has been perfect: ebay.com link: SanDisk SD ULTRA SDHC 16GB 80MB s LOT 10x

Just my two cents...

#1261 3 years ago

More two cents: Since the images need to load into the clock from the SD card, the speed affects if they can quickly get to the display buffers.

This is why the clock would have partial images when it "froze." The card couldn't react quickly enough to supply the full image.

#1262 3 years ago
    Quoted from jbovenzi:

Following this thread, I was having the same issue. Clock would run for a month and then the display would freeze. Tried several SD cards and even tried Micro SD cards with adapters.
    I did many flashes, restores, formatting and copying the image again and again. Not an issue of making the image, but every time it would to the freeze after a couple of weeks or months.
    jfesler was the genius that helped me solve this. It's not the capacity, its the speed!
    I was using SDHC, XC 1, and HC 1 cards. I was told to use 80MB/s - class 10 - UHS-I version at least.
    I took a chance and bought Refurbished 16 GB cards off Ebay and the clock has been perfect: ebay.com link » Sandisk Sd Ultra Sdhc 16gb 80mb S Lot 10x
    Just my two cents...

Thank you, I just purchased one and will give it a try

#1263 3 years ago

you should check out PI2DMD

#1264 3 years ago
    Quoted from kapsreiter:

Looks nice but too much video game animations lol? If you’re gonna have just video game animations why bother with a DMD... just get a LCD screen.

#1265 3 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

Looks nice but too much video game animations lol? If you’re gonna have just video game animations why bother with a DMD... just get a LCD screen.

at the moment there are 5500 animations in category

1.400 are classic pinball in colordmd style

you can select this via web interface

like you compare a standard pinball dmd with a colordmd you like it you love it or its not yours

#1266 3 years ago
    Quoted from kapsreiter:

How much are they? And where do we buy one ?

#1267 3 years ago
    Quoted from jbovenzi:

More two cents: Since the images need to load into the clock from the SD card, the speed affects if they can quickly get to the display buffers.
    This is why the clock would have partial images when it "froze." The card couldn't react quickly enough to supply the full image.

The kind of speed needed for this application it wouldn’t matter. More than likely the higher speeds simply reduce the time window the system is vulnerable to corruption

#1268 3 years ago
    Quoted from TonyScoots:

How much are they? And where do we buy one ?

This. This would look great along with the Run DMD clock I have.

Chris

#1269 3 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

This. This would look great along with the Run DMD clock I have.
    Chris

Why have one when you can have two! WOW

#1270 3 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

ok, if you need to re-flash your clock SD Card here is my guide and the image
    https://swinks.com.au/mod-manuals
    hope it helps[quoted image]

Hello

is there a new link, this one is broken. I am going to reflash the new SD 80mb/s card I purchased, hopefully this will work

#1271 3 years ago
    Quoted from TonyScoots:

Hello
    is there a new link, this one is broken. I am going to reflash the new SD 80mb/s card I purchased, hopefully this will work

try again as link worked for me

that said my website server provider was having minor problems in the last 24hrs

#1272 3 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

try again as link worked for me
    that said my website server provider was having minor problems in the last 24hrs

Yes it works

Thank you Swinks

#1273 3 years ago

Mine is working fine despite an initial problem with the card being corrupted. Zero issues for nearly 1 year...but I'd like to duplicate/back up the card that's in it just in case any future issues...can someone walk me thru this?

#1274 3 years ago

go to my website for the manual page and have a how to and the file to load up.

#1275 3 years ago

I’ve read that the Run-DMD guys are MIA as of late. Has anyone ordered a board recently? I was going to pick one up and noticed the MK2 was out of stock, should I just get the Edge?

#1276 3 years ago

I just ordered an Edge yesterday and Linus shipped it right away. Not MIA.

#1277 3 years ago

Where do you order your run-dmd clock? Is there a shop in EU?
    Thanks

#1278 3 years ago

You don’t order a Run-DMD clock. You order a controller circuit board from run-dmd.com, you acquire a display panel from various sources, including a newer Stern DMD display (red display - not orange) or display panels that are suggested on the run-dmd website and you build or buy a frame to house it all. You will then have a clock. If you want it to display pinball animations, you then have to download a file with those animations and a utility to install the file onto the memory card that the controller board uses. Can be a little intimidating for the uninitiated.
    Or you can buy one already assembled and programmed from the Pinside marketplace if anyone is selling one.

#1279 3 years ago
    Quoted from crwjumper:

You don’t order a Run-DMD clock. You order a controller circuit board from run-dmd.com, you acquire a display panel from various sources, including a newer Stern DMD display (red display - not orange) or display panels that are suggested on the run-dmd website and you build or buy a frame to house it all. You will then have a clock. If you want it to display pinball animations, you then have to download a file with those animations and a utility to install the file onto the memory card You that the controller board uses. Can be a little intimidating for the uninitiated.
    Or you can buy one already assembled and programmed from the Pinside marketplace if anyone is selling one.

ok thanks.
    so no shop are selling a final product ready to install.

why not orange display?

#1280 3 years ago

The orange display will work, technically. But it’s an older “plasma” display and will need a different power supply from the newer displays.

#1281 3 years ago
    Quoted from colonel_caverne:

ok thanks.
    so no shop are selling a final product ready to install.
    why not orange display?

The newer red displays run on 5V, the same as the Run-DMD hardware.

#1282 3 years ago

The finished products come up for sale from time to time but sell out quickly. I’m building one now from a Stern DMD, but it’s already sold.

#1283 3 years ago
    Quoted from crwjumper:

I ordered one at the start of lockdown. Linus shipped it pretty much straight away but it took a few weeks to arrive. Have patience, I don't think the Swedish postal service is running at full speed.

#1284 3 years ago

Good to know. Thanks!

#1285 3 years ago
    Quoted from crwjumper:

Awesome. Glad to hear it. I'm going to see if I can get an update on the MK2, otherwise I'm going to order the Edge.

#1286 3 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

I ordered one at the start of lockdown. Linus shipped it pretty much straight away but it took a few weeks to arrive. Have patience, I don't think the Swedish postal service is running at full speed.

Do you have a contact with Linus? Don’t know who is Linus and if he provides a final product.
    Thanks

#1287 3 years ago

Do you have a contact with Linus? Don’t know who is Linus and if he provides a final product.
    Thanks

Linus is Run-DMD... you'd reach him via the website.

https://run-dmd.com/

#1288 3 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

Linus is Run-DMD... you'd reach him via the website.
    https://run-dmd.com/

ok thanks. They do not provide any final clock product.
    Is there a tuto to build one? Possible to get a larger dmd (than a pinball one)? Thanks

#1289 3 years ago

ok thanks. They do not provide any final clock product.
    Is there a tuto to build one? Possible to get a larger dmd (than a pinball one)? Thanks

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-frame-v50-assembly-instructions

#1290 3 years ago

Just catching up on this thread. My theory on the corruption is that the auto-shutoff and auto-turnon is part of the problem. My first prototype display from several years ago has never been reprogrammed. Never corrupted. For the longest time I never turned it off but I now have it on a switch. It could be the card or the card carrier. I've seen lots of carrier problems. When programming more than a couple of Micro-SD cards I've found that a card would fail with it's included carrier but work with a different one. Since then I have a "card programming carrier" that I use. After programming the original carrier worked just fine. Could be a tolerance thing. So the theory about the SD card vs micro-sd card thing may actually fit with the carrier thing...

Note I still have a lot of Acrylic frame kits for Pinball DMDs in my pinside shop at https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02128-pinball-dmd-acrylic-frame-kit

#1292 3 years ago

The one I built doesn’t even have a frame yet. I used the dmd cover plastic I had removed from games when I have installed ColorDMDs and also utilised the standoffs I took off the old DMDs to screw it all together. I had a 5v PSU laying around and plenty of Stern DMDs. So the total cost of my clock so far has been $140 which is how much the board cost me.

I will make a frame for it when I am back at work.

#1293 3 years ago

I still have the acrylic for 4 [full size] clocks left, but nothing else. $50 per set plus shipping.

#1294 3 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Just catching up on this thread. My theory on the corruption is that the auto-shutoff and auto-turnon is part of the problem. My first prototype display from several years ago has never been reprogrammed. Never corrupted. For the longest time I never turned it off but I now have it on a switch. It could be the card or the card carrier. I've seen lots of carrier problems. When programming more than a couple of Micro-SD cards I've found that a card would fail with it's included carrier but work with a different one. Since then I have a "card programming carrier" that I use. After programming the original carrier worked just fine. Could be a tolerance thing. So the theory about the SD card vs micro-sd card thing may actually fit with the carrier thing...
    Note I still have a lot of Acrylic frame kits for Pinball DMDs in my pinside shop at https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02128-pinball-dmd-acrylic-frame-kit

Just got your Frame kit in the mail and ordered an Edge. Pretty excited to put it all together once it arrives.

#1295 3 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I still have the acrylic for 4 [full size] clocks left, but nothing else. $50 per set plus shipping.

Hey, I think I need this. I bought a fully assembled unit with your help back when these were for sale, but recently someone in my family dropped the clock (still works) and the acrylic is now cracked in the back. Is the acrylic you’re selling the same as the ones used on the unit I bought? Do you have dimensions?

2 weeks later
    #1296 3 years ago

I saw this post in another thread and probably explains the disappearance of the clock image

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hologram-mod-for-creature-from-pinballsp-is-under-development/page/39#post-5703183

"Technically yes, if your selling as is or modified Williams/Bally artwork you need permission from Rick at PPS as he holds the licence. All the big players like colorDMD,CPR etc.. all have a agreement with Rick to sell the artwork. The runDMD clock project was recently shut down by Rick due to it included Dot animations from Williams/Bally games which was not licenced.

He probably can't ever see this thing being finished either so is not worried

I will say the animations are fantastic, the artist has done amazing job. Just a shame there is no working platform to put them into! "

#1297 3 years ago

So I replaced the new, larger, faster SD card that I was using, with an older 512MB card, and so far I've had no issue.

Maybe just a basic card without all the flashy improvements is the way to go!

#1298 3 years ago

which brand of SD card did you end up using? (so that others know)

#1299 3 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

which brand of SD card did you end up using? (so that others know)

Kingston. See if I can get a pic later.

#1300 3 years ago

Not to hijack the thread - but does anyone know the exact size the power connector on the board? I bought an extension cable with a 2.1mm x 5.5mm end and the male end doesn't fit in to the runDMD board. It's too big.

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released/page/26 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.