(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    PacDotsmall (resized).jpg
    LEDarcade2 (resized).jpg
    1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    52978E50-7D5F-4414-B1A7-D67B2D69D694 (resized).jpeg
    Run dmc (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0074 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3959 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210925_171305935.MP (resized).jpg
    HUB08 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD (resized).JPG
    669C1ED9-72C7-47F8-889A-E8731D50942E.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 33.
    #1201 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dent00:

If you haven't done it already, check polarity on the wires. Positive on mine was on the black wire. I complained a little bit to the people that sold me the wiring harness, but the instructions that I received specifically stated that the color of the wires was not necessarily black on negative and red on positive. For mine, black was positive and red was negative.

Thanks, but the wires from the run-dmd are correct in terms of colour - checked with a multimeter. There's something else not happy with it though - and I can't get any response from the run-dmd support folk (ie via the website).. I bought I believe the last run-dmd pinball board so maybe they're shutting up shop...??

#1202 4 years ago

I'm going to sell the run-dmd I made a while back. $325 shipped in the USA. I also have the Pickit3 programmer I used to update it, I'll include it for an additional $15 (if I can find it ).

I can add some pictures if anybodies interested, but for reference, I used Damonator's great design from this post -

Quoted from Damonator:

So, rather than trying to search out the correct acrylic SVG files, I went a different route altogether:
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    A matte black metal frame with a non glare acrylic. I think it’s a nice clean look and is an easier assembly too.

#1203 4 years ago

Anyone know how to get hold of run-dmd for support. Quite sure my board is a dud. Sent 2 messages via website.. nothing but crickets...

#1204 4 years ago
    Quoted from pocketscience:

Anyone know how to get hold of run-dmd for support. Quite sure my board is a dud. Sent 2 messages via website.. nothing but crickets...

contact Limpan as he is linked with the run dmd and I checked and he was last active on pinside today

#1205 4 years ago

Have a rundmd for Sale
    Red LEDs
    Latest Image and Firmware

280,- shipped
    image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #1206 4 years ago

Finally finished up building a little box for mine, turned out pretty well!

A6A5F28F-8AE4-45B8-A944-A86E822AC1AD (resized).jpegA6A5F28F-8AE4-45B8-A944-A86E822AC1AD (resized).jpeg8893BA66-E46D-41C6-96EA-364FBBDEDC8B (resized).jpeg8893BA66-E46D-41C6-96EA-364FBBDEDC8B (resized).jpeg92FEEDED-903C-49C4-AC6B-0679230BE229 (resized).jpeg92FEEDED-903C-49C4-AC6B-0679230BE229 (resized).jpeg
    #1207 4 years ago
    Quoted from mjthompson:

I'm going to sell the run-dmd I made a while back. $325 shipped in the USA. I also have the Pickit3 programmer I used to update it, I'll include it for an additional $15 (if I can find it ).
    I can add some pictures if anybodies interested, but for reference, I used Damonator's great design from this post -

Still available. It's the RGB LCD version.

#1208 4 years ago

Hey guys,

Just came across this and its pretty cool..

Curious, is there a version that can run solely on battery power?

Also, if I just use the DMD from my stock Stern machine, seems easy enough to install. Anything special I would need to know?

#1209 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

Also, if I just use the DMD from my stock Stern machine, seems easy enough to install. Anything special I would need to know?

Not really. Pretty simple process to assemble and get it working. My kits have detailed instructions. I'm happy to share my instruction manual if you want to look before ordering. I'm down to 2 sets and 2 jumbos in my pinside store.
    Pinball DMD: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02128-pinball-dmd-run-dmd-acrylic-frame-kit
    Jumbo: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02390-jumbo-red-run-dmd-led-display-clock

#1210 4 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Not really. Pretty simple process to assemble and get it working. My kits have detailed instructions. I'm happy to share my instruction manual if you want to look before ordering. I'm down to 2 sets and 2 jumbos in my pinside store.
    Pinball DMD: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02128-pinball-dmd-run-dmd-acrylic-frame-kit
    Jumbo: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02390-jumbo-red-run-dmd-led-display-clock

Thanks. The frame is key imo.

Is there a way to have this run off batteries or no?

Also, curious how to get animations on it? Not trying to cross the line of copyrights and all that, but dont know how one would get them...

#1211 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

While you could maybe get the controller board to run on battery power, the display itself cannot. If you use an older plasma display you need high voltage. If you use a more modern LED display you need high amp 12v power.

#1212 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

modern LED display you need high amp 12v power.

Actually it requires 5v power (about 2.25a) for any recent Stern LED DMD.

#1213 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

Running off batteries is possible but not practical. A decent sized high-output battery bank could probably run for a few hours if you set the brightness to low. You've got me curious now. I may give it a try to see what I find assuming I have the right components to make it work.

#1214 4 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Running off batteries is possible but not practical. A decent sized high-output battery bank could probably run for a few hours if you set the brightness to low. You've got me curious now. I may give it a try to see what I find assuming I have the right components to make it work.

Thanks! Just curious as I hate seeing wires on the walls.

#1215 4 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

You could do it off a high amperage 2s (7.4v) Li-Po battery pack. You'd need a voltage regulator and a cut-off circuit. Lipos puff up, catch fire, and/or explode when you get the voltage too low. You need a specialized charger for them.

For 100$ you could get a li-po that will power your clock for a few hours. But then pull the battery to charge it.. Basically every few hours of run time. Not practical but possible.

I leave mine on all the time.

IMG_1747 (resized).jpgIMG_1747 (resized).jpg
    #1216 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

I leave mine on all the time

That display looks familiar I think. Hope you are enjoying it.

#1217 4 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

That display looks familiar I think. Hope you are enjoying it.

Yep

#1218 4 years ago

Help!

For some reason my clock keeps doing this! Just lines. I have to reboot it everyday now, happens a few times throughout the day

Any suggestions

Thank you guys

2914D4A1-9DB5-4897-9CD8-B9103F00C24E (resized).jpeg2914D4A1-9DB5-4897-9CD8-B9103F00C24E (resized).jpeg
    #1219 4 years ago
    Quoted from TonyScoots:

Help!
    For some reason my clock keeps doing this! Just lines. I have to reboot it everyday now, happens a few times throughout the day
    Any suggestions
    Thank you guys[quoted image]

display cable loose or dirty?
    something loose?
    bad card?

#1220 4 years ago

If the lines are moving then the display type may be set wrong. Plug it in while holding the "c" button.

#1221 4 years ago

I have a really dumb question. I have a pretty old version of the Run DMD (got it 4 or 5 years ago).

i don't know the version but I was wondering would the new update work on a older version of the RUN-DMD?

Would love to update it to have some newer animations.

Chris

#1222 4 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

I have a really dumb question. I have a pretty old version of the Run DMD (got it 4 or 5 years ago).
    i don't know the version but I was wondering would the new update work on a older version of the RUN-DMD?
    Would love to update it to have some newer animations.
    Chris

Yes. Its just the animations

#1223 4 years ago

When you plug it in the firmware (top right) and animation version (one of the fields) is displayed.

The firmware adds features and panel type support. You need the proper tools to upgrade the firmware. Obviously if it's an existing display it already supports the panels you have. There have been a couple of new features but I'm not sure any of them are "critical". If I recall the current version is 3.55.

The animation version is what shows the pinball animations if you've installed them. Newer versions have always been additional animations supported. The most recent animation file is B134.

#1224 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

display cable loose or dirty?
    something loose?
    bad card?

Thank you

I took it apart and reseated all the cables and the card

Works great now

#1225 4 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

When you plug it in the firmware (top right) and animation version (one of the fields) is displayed.
    The firmware adds features and panel type support. You need the proper tools to upgrade the firmware. Obviously if it's an existing display it already supports the panels you have. There have been a couple of new features but I'm not sure any of them are "critical". If I recall the current version is 3.55.
    The animation version is what shows the pinball animations if you've installed them. Newer versions have always been additional animations supported. The most recent animation file is B134.

Thank you. Is this file available anywhere? I could not find it on the site.

Thank you

#1226 4 years ago
    Quoted from TonyScoots:

Thank you
    I took it apart and reseated all the cables and the card
    Works great now

Yay!

I was going by my experience on regular display cables in general. Lol!

#1227 4 years ago

Thank you. Is this file available anywhere? I could not find it on the site.
    Thank you

I put it up on my website
    https://swinks.com.au/mod-manuals

#1228 4 years ago

Awesome, thank you! So I can just take the card from the unit I have, and put this file on and it should be ok?

Sorry for my ignorance, I have never updated it before.

Chris

#1229 4 years ago

Awesome, thank you! So I can just take the card from the unit I have, and put this file on and it should be ok?
    Sorry for my ignorance, I have never updated it before.
    Chris

It is not as simple as dropping a file onto sd card and even harder for Mac users - I will put together a little how to for Mac owners soon

#1230 4 years ago

Has anyone had issues with their Run-DMD (White) not keeping the time? I've checked the CR2032 battery voltage (good) and tried a few different batteries, but the clock loses its time when disconnected from the power supply (or even just powered off using the momentary pushbutton). It keeps time fine when connected to power so I think the RTC itself is ok; just doesn't get power from the CR2032 when shut off.

Edit: reached out via the website about a week or two ago, haven't heard back.

#1231 4 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

It is not as simple as dropping a file onto sd card and even harder for Mac users - I will put together a little how to for Mac owners soon

Is there a how-to for PC users out there?

Chris

#1232 4 years ago

Is there a how-to for PC users out there?
    Chris

Use raw copy to add the image files to tbe sdcard.

#1233 4 years ago
    Quoted from JStoltz:

Has anyone had issues with their Run-DMD (White) not keeping the time? I've checked the CR2032 battery voltage (good) and tried a few different batteries, but the clock loses its time when disconnected from the power supply (or even just powered off using the momentary pushbutton). It keeps time fine when connected to power so I think the RTC itself is ok; just doesn't get power from the CR2032 when shut off.
    Edit: reached out via the website about a week or two ago, haven't heard back.

try a fresh SD card as found one card gave me alot of problems and another not

they have disappeared for a short while now

#1234 4 years ago

I haven't turned it off so can't help.

#1235 4 years ago

Use raw copy to add the image files to tbe sdcard.

I suppose I could do that. If I knew what the meant. LOL

Chris

#1236 4 years ago

I will get my guide together tonight to help as in the end I use a mac in windows mode to do the sdcard file load up

#1237 4 years ago

ok, if you need to re-flash your clock SD Card here is my guide and the image

https://swinks.com.au/mod-manuals

hope it helps

Re-Flashing your RUN-DMD Clock SD Card.pdfRe-Flashing your RUN-DMD Clock SD Card.pdf
    3 weeks later
    #1239 3 years ago

Hi All. Very late to this party.

With all of the Pin2DMDs that I've installed lately, I have an equal amount of original DMDs that I've like to use up. Is there still a PCB only option for purchase that would and just in case I want to drive a Pin2DMD what is the proper PCB for that at present.

Thanks in advance.

#1240 3 years ago

Looks like Run-DMD still has some boards in stock but you'd want to check which panels your PIN2DMD is using as you don't actually use the controller on the PIN2DMD, you'd essentially be swapping that out with the RunDMD. Different RunDMD boards can handle different panels. https://run-dmd.com

There would also be an option to run goDMD with your PIN2DMD but you may find that a little challenging to do as I have found the information to be hard to piece together.

#1241 3 years ago

roar this is helpful, thank you!

#1242 3 years ago

Seem to be constantly having an issue where after a short period of time the images just become scrambled and I have to reflash the card. Anyone know what might be causing this?

#1243 3 years ago

from my research and info I got from the guys before they went into hiding is:
    - basically the image file lives on your sd card and every 5-10 seconds the sd card is updated with what has been played to ensure a mix of images. If there is a interruption of power to the clock during the 5-10second update it will corrupt the sd card and start to do weird things.
    - other thing is your sd card could be corrupt - get a new one and try a different brand as I have 2 cards and reflash both and one keeps failing (Sandisk)

hope that helps

#1244 3 years ago

Can anyone recommend a SD card that has been working for them?

#1245 3 years ago

Do you leave it powered on all the time or switch it off at the mains ? If you turn it off do you power it down properly ?

#1246 3 years ago
    Quoted from stoptap:

Do you leave it powered on all the time or switch it off at the mains ? If you turn it off do you power it down properly ?

Have it set on the timer mode, so it wakes in the morning and sleeps at night.

I also built a clock for a friend, and he had the same issue. Mine seems to be more frequent though.

#1247 3 years ago
    Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Have it set on the timer mode, so it wakes in the morning and sleeps at night.
    I also built a clock for a friend, and he had the same issue. Mine seems to be more frequent though.

How does it run when not in timer mode?

I just leave mine in 24/7

Using the original sandisk card

#1248 3 years ago

I just leave mine in 24/7 Using the original sandisk card

Ditto - zero issues running this way.

#1249 3 years ago

How does it run when not in timer mode?
    I just leave mine in 24/7
    Using the original sandisk card

I might have to try that. What SanDisk card are you using?

#1250 3 years ago

I am not a computer geek, but I recently read that SD cards are made for storage, not continual re-use. The article said that people who have tons of pictures on them have been having problems if they use them for continual access and re access. Again...don't burn me if its something people are already aware of.

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released/page/25?hl=mrmikeman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.