(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    PacDotsmall (resized).jpg
    LEDarcade2 (resized).jpg
    1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    52978E50-7D5F-4414-B1A7-D67B2D69D694 (resized).jpeg
    Run dmc (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0074 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3959 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210925_171305935.MP (resized).jpg
    HUB08 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD (resized).JPG
    669C1ED9-72C7-47F8-889A-E8731D50942E.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 33.
    #1151 4 years ago
    Quoted from Thor-NL:

Looks like a corrupt SD, tried to replace it with a different one?

Not yet, but I will.

Thanks!

#1152 4 years ago

That's just the display from the Alien remake coming out soon . . .

#1153 4 years ago

Just re-wrote image to SD and it seems to be working fine again!

1 month later
    #1154 4 years ago

can not locate a copy run-dmd sd card image. anyone point me in the general vicinity
    thanks

#1155 4 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

can not locate a copy run-dmd sd card image. anyone point me in the general vicinity
    thanks

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-run-dmd-clock-image-website-nuked#post-5305529

1 week later
    #1156 4 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

I ended getting my clock running reliable, apparently there is a slim chance that if your house is hit by a power loss during running it can correct the sd card - reason being is the card has a portion being updated every few moments to allow for randomness of the images shown. Therefore not just a card with files to read on it but a program that runs and constantly saving. If there is a power loss during the writing it corrupts the SD card and it needs to be re-flashed.
    HERE is my step guide to help those with a MAC computer.
    * you will need Parallels loaded on it to run Windows programs. For a while I forgot I had this on one of my design computers.
    * you will need one of the Windows versions loaded on it - I have Windows XP on mine.
    These are the steps in which I then did it - hope it helps people as the process is a little vague and assumes everyone is experienced in the process.
    Step 1 - I downloaded the files
    [quoted image]
    Step 2 - locate program and then the image file to be loaded to the SD card
    [quoted image]
    Step 3 - While in XP on Parrallels insert the sd card into the computer and select windows screen because in apple mode it won't recognise the sd card (my screen also picks up my 3d printer)
    [quoted image]
    Step 4 - Then I have an option - Initialize / Ignore / Eject - I trialed a few things but Ignore worked
    [quoted image]
    Step 5 - Then in the select screen for copying the file to the sd - seen as a usb drive
    [quoted image]
    Step 6 - Then start and gives you a warning, select Yes again
    [quoted image]
    Step 7 - Programming took a couple of minutes and then says complete but also gives the option to start again - so don't push start. And being Windows running on a Mac there is no option to eject the card in the Windows mode - so remove the sd card (not much choice here)
    [quoted image]
    Step 8 - Have clock connected to power but off on the button 4 to turn on (on j_m_ clock it is the very left button)
    Step 9 - Insert SD card and it immediately turns on and boots up
    Step 10 - Set time if the board has not been already set yet - if the clock was running and you have had to reflash the clock will maintain the time (if the battery is still installed)
    Step 11 - Set sleep time
    Step 12 - set wake time
    then it should work , which it did for me..... on both sd cards..... hope that helps some people

I keep getting error every time I write to card? I can't figure out where I go wrong, I follow all the steps

#1157 4 years ago
    Quoted from TonyScoots:

I keep getting error every time I write to card? I can't figure out where I go wrong, I follow all the steps

Card either dead or in read only mode

#1158 4 years ago

I tried a new sd card and got the same results! I have no clue on what to do next. Maybe I have a corrupt .img file

#1159 4 years ago
    Quoted from TonyScoots:

I tried a new sd card and got the same results! I have no clue on what to do next. Maybe I have a corrupt .img file

Are you sure your process for writing the image is correct? You’re using that goofy weird windows program instead of just copying the file to the drive, yes?

#1160 4 years ago
    Quoted from spblat:

Are you sure your process for writing the image is correct? You’re using that goofy weird windows program instead of just copying the file to the drive, yes?

Yes I am using HDD Raw Copy, I select the IMG file then the target drive, then click start, the screen says Write error occurred at offset, cannot write to target, aborting

#1161 4 years ago

Try a stanard Windows disk format of the memory card first. I had the same issue.

#1162 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer73:

Try a stanard Windows disk format of the memory card first. I had the same issue.

I think I will try buying a new SD card, nothing is working on my end

#1163 4 years ago

Guys I finally got it to work! I reformatted the card also I Re-Downloaded the file, everything went smooth as it should! Merry Christmas & Thank you everyone for your help today

1 week later
    #1164 4 years ago

Has anyone had issues with the run dmd board getting slow and not keeping the proper time? I haven't tried changing the battery yet, that is next up on my to do list. I figured since it's plugged in to wall power and still losing time, it wouldn't be the battery.

#1165 4 years ago

Hi. I have a medium size Run DMD Clock. I accidentally selected Detect DMD in the menu, and I can't get the clock back to normal operation now. I only see vertical lines when I turn it on. The menu won't appear. Today, I can't get it to turn on at all. No clue why. What should I do?

#1166 4 years ago

press AND HOLD button 3 prior to powering on the clock and continue to hold the button until the display types begin to cycle (then you can release button 3). press button 4 when the correct display type is showing to lock in the settings.

this is covered in the manual

#1167 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

press AND HOLD button 3 prior to powering on the clock and continue to hold the button until the display types begin to cycle (then you can release button 3). press button 4 when the correct display type is showing to lock in the settings.
    this is covered in the manual

I tried that before, and nothing was happening. No display and no on light at all. Tried again just now and got display for some reason. Kept holding button 3 while it did this. Felt like a minute then let go. Still showing this.
    20200106_112951 (resized).jpg20200106_112951 (resized).jpg

#1168 4 years ago

additionally, without an SD card installed, that's all you'll get are the horizontal lines

do you have an SD card installed? if so, remove and replace it (maybe a few times) to make sure that it is making contact with the socket. also, make sure that the write protect isn't set on the SD card

#1169 4 years ago

Hi. Would someone please share the B134 image with me? I can’t find it anymore and mine is corrupt. Thank you.

#1170 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

additionally, without an SD card installed, that's all you'll get are the horizontal lines
    do you have an SD card installed? if so, remove and replace it (maybe a few times) to make sure that it is making contact with the socket. also, make sure that the write protect isn't set on the SD card

Yes, an SD card is in, and it isn't locked. It appears that button 3 is the 2nd button from the left because that one worked. I was using the 3rd button from the left. Thank you for your help.

#1171 4 years ago

Is there something I could have done wrong when resetting the clock that would cause these extra lit dots? I didn't open it. Or is it just reflections?
    20200113_221509 (resized).jpg20200113_221509 (resized).jpg20200113_221515 (resized).jpg20200113_221515 (resized).jpg

#1172 4 years ago

Check your cable connections - maybe reseat them.

#1173 4 years ago

Looks like pixel ghosting

#1174 4 years ago

I fixed it. When you reset the clock, it goes through this cycle showing different screen layouts and says press D to select it. I kept pressing D (D according to the manual), and nothing was happening. I had to press the opposite button. Instead of the far right button (D in the manual), it was the far left button. When realizing this, I noticed that one of the display configs it cycled through had those stray LEDs lit. The other ones did not. Why, I have no idea. Once I realized I needed to press the far left button to select, I was able to select a display setting that didn't have stray lit LEDs.

#1175 4 years ago

For me, it was the opposite of this pic.

20200116_111939 (resized).jpg20200116_111939 (resized).jpg
    #1176 4 years ago

Just confirmed that buttons were set to reversed in menu/tools. Don't know why.

Is there a way to make it not pulse that light when the clock is off but plugged in? I want no light.
    20200116_112323 (resized).jpg20200116_112323 (resized).jpg

#1177 4 years ago
    Quoted from mamefan:

Just confirmed that buttons were set to reversed in menu/tools. Don't know why.
    Is there a way to make it not pulse that light when the clock is off but plugged in? I want no light.[quoted image]

Its one of the settings.

#1178 4 years ago

I switched it from reversed to normal, and the buttons didn't match up to the menu text at all, so reversed is better, but then the buttons don't match the manual layout.

#1179 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Its one of the settings.

Which setting? I have status LED disabled, and it didn't stop it.

#1180 4 years ago

Black electrical tape is my solution.

#1181 4 years ago

Tried reburning the images to the current download and all I get is a garbled image.
    Holding the D button doesn't cycle through displays, and image is reversed and unreadable.
    I tried the reverse button trick to no avail, C or D.
    Any ideas?

#1182 4 years ago

Ericpinballfan With the buttons reversed in the menu, I had to hold down the 2nd button from the left while plugging the clock in. I held it until it started cycling. Then I pressed the far left button to choose the display setting I wanted.

#1183 4 years ago

it's still buttons 3 and 4 that you're pressing (the boards were reversed in the clocks that I built in order to reduce the depth. the button numbers are screen printed on the pc board. because I installed the boards the way that I did, an option was made in the firmware to reverse the buttons.

#1184 4 years ago
    Quoted from mamefan:

ericpinballfan With the buttons reversed in the menu, I had to hold down the 2nd button from the left while plugging the clock in. I held it until it started cycling. Then I pressed the far left button to choose the display setting I wanted.

Small success. I'm not garbled anymore.
    What Type do I want to select?
    Did "C", no animations, just a working clock.
    Buttons still backwards.

EDIT- Update few minutes later.

I must of screwed up the download. Says (0/0) animations, old card said 2300 something.

#1185 4 years ago

the clock settings are stored on the SD card so if you reflashed your SD card afterwards, you will lose all your settings. these need to be done [after] imaging the SD card. as far as I know when limpan sent out the blank SD cards, the clocks were all preset to the C type.

I manually changed the settings of the buttons to [reversed] on the clocks that I built simply because of how I oriented of the run-dmd board with the buttons being accessible from the bottom of the clock instead of the top.

if, on power up, the clock info screen is showing 0/0 animations then you erased your SD card (one of the setting under [TOOLS] along with identify display type, I believe).

#1186 4 years ago

Are there any tricks to editing or tweaking the image file? I’m sure it would be a challenging process but can it be done?

1 month later
    #1187 4 years ago

Anyone know where I can find the B134 file and reflashing/installation instructions?

Thanks!

#1189 4 years ago

What’s going on here? New pinball run-dmd board. The power plug doesn’t look right. Am I supposed to offset the plug with the pins?? I’ve tried that and get nothing from the display. The run-dmd is flashing less than a second between flashes. Tried holding button 3 to reset the display per instructions but that does nothing.

Thoughts?

AF9B22F9-13A8-4369-A78C-ECFA4932D51B (resized).jpegAF9B22F9-13A8-4369-A78C-ECFA4932D51B (resized).jpegC00776FC-EDEB-4E17-85BA-C73C144A8CEE (resized).jpegC00776FC-EDEB-4E17-85BA-C73C144A8CEE (resized).jpeg
    #1190 4 years ago

red should go to +5, black to ground. also, that doesn't look like the proper molex connector for that header, so if you changed it out, you could move the wires to hit the proper contacts.

#1191 4 years ago

That’s what I figured. Thanks. Still not working though. I confirmed that 5V was getting to the display but still nothing displayed. Known good display. Very odd.

#1192 4 years ago

do you have an SD card inserted into the run-dmd pinball board? even a blank one will do. if you don't have any card inserted, it will not run.

#1193 4 years ago

Yes, the board came with a card. I've since flashed the card with the latest image but that didn't help.

Does anyone have a pinout for the board connector? Want to check if it's a dud connector or cable. If can see some voltages on it, but not sure what I'm looking at currently..

#1194 4 years ago

About to give up here... randomly the display will power up with a few vertical lines partially illuminated - and then even if I put the run-dmd into sleep mode with button 4 (slow pulsing led) the lines on the display stay lit. I’ve confirmed that each pin on the ribbon cable has continuity from the run-dmd through to the display pcb but it’s like the display isn’t being driven by the run-dmd. I don’t see any cold solder joints or anything else suspect on either boards... I’m using a good quality 5V/5A power supply so I don’t think that’s the issue...

#1195 4 years ago

Is anyone still making the kits to use old Stern DMD's?

#1196 4 years ago

Woohoo, its the time of the year that my clock says the correct time!

#1197 4 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

Woohoo, its the time of the year that my clock says the correct time!

I just reverse the plug on mine for an hour so it runs backwards and catches up.........

#1198 4 years ago

I want to build another clock.

Are there any edge versions someone wants to sell?

#1199 4 years ago

Last year there was a guy at TFP selling parts to build them. Anyone know if he will be there this year?

#1200 4 years ago
    Quoted from pocketscience:

That’s what I figured. Thanks. Still not working though. I confirmed that 5V was getting to the display but still nothing displayed. Known good display. Very odd.

If you haven't done it already, check polarity on the wires. Positive on mine was on the black wire. I complained a little bit to the people that sold me the wiring harness, but the instructions that I received specifically stated that the color of the wires was not necessarily black on negative and red on positive. For mine, black was positive and red was negative.

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released/page/24?hl=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.