(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    PacDotsmall (resized).jpg
    LEDarcade2 (resized).jpg
    1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    52978E50-7D5F-4414-B1A7-D67B2D69D694 (resized).jpeg
    Run dmc (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0074 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3959 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210925_171305935.MP (resized).jpg
    HUB08 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD (resized).JPG
    669C1ED9-72C7-47F8-889A-E8731D50942E.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 33.
    #1101 5 years ago
    Quoted from Indusguys:

I have not tried a battery, I keep the clock plugged in all the time, what function does the battery have? I thought it was there in case I lose power and it will save my settings until power returns?

that is correct. the battery merely provides enough power to keep the clock crystal functioning when not powered on through the mains

I mentioned before that you might want to reach out to linus (limpan here on pinside) that your run-dmd board may have a defective crystal on it

1 month later
    #1102 5 years ago

Thanks to @limpan for the great customer support and @damonator for the frame plan and details. Also, big shoutout to @j_m_ for being so knowledgeable. I tracked down the color choices from one of his posts.

Unfortunately, my HUB75 Panels have a row out. So, wish me luck trying to solve that problem.

IMG_1670 (resized).JPGIMG_1670 (resized).JPGIMG_1671 (resized).JPGIMG_1671 (resized).JPG
    4 weeks later
    #1103 4 years ago

My HUB08 panels for the Edge board now boot up with just a couple of lines running across the screen.

Anyone know if this can be resolved?

Otherwise, does anyone know if either of these panels would work with the Edge board or have a link to a panel that would?

ebay.com link: 1x 64x32 led display module dot matrix p4 smd led module P4 indoor led screen

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32650818413.html?pid=808_0000_0109&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32650818413&aff_trace_key=4e9178f240fa4fe8b74ad97979fd5146-1555908959483-01644-UneMJZVf&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=1777amp-EKFGZMM_5vBNFSUT4ozU5A1555908970629

#1105 4 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

My HUB08 panels for the Edge board now boot up with just a couple of lines running across the screen.
    Anyone know if this can be resolved?

if there isn't an SD card inserted into the run-dmd board, or if SD card isn't making contact correctly in the slot or if the SD card has gotten corrupted, that can cause the issue that you are experiencing

see this thread:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-clock-reflashing-the-sd-card-to-fix-glitched-no-animations

#1106 4 years ago

Since I got one of these displays recently.. and going through the learning curve.. I went back and marked key posts from the last year or so to help others. I skipped the older posts (2-3yrs old) just because of out dated information. If there is something you think that should be marked.. just let me know.

Also, for reference.. for at least @ddebuss 's builds.. I used a 5.5x2.5 dc barrel connector extension cord to power mine. Since I have the larger panels and the warning was to prepare for at least 10amps... I used the heaviest gauge I could find easily on amazon... a 12' 18awg cable - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M85BINI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00

I also wanted one with a right angle plug.. but could not find one easily.. and the one I found with 2.5mm plugs on both sides, is a bit larger than I wanted. Of course through all this you could use a solder style one too.. but I was just trying to find a plug-n-play option.. without much luck on amazon or ebay quickly.

#1107 4 years ago

I have had this clock for a little while and currently not working (turns off when it wants, doesn't turn on when it should, freezes mid image) but all roads seem to lead to reflashing the sd card but I am a mac user so how do I do this when it appears you need a windows machine to do this?

#1108 4 years ago

I couldn’t figure it out with a Mac. I ended up using an old windows laptop.

#1109 4 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

I have had this clock for a little while and currently not working (turns off when it wants, doesn't turn on when it should, freezes mid image) but all roads seem to lead to reflashing the sd card but I am a mac user so how do I do this when it appears you need a windows machine to do this?

PM sent with offer of help.

#1110 4 years ago

my workplace is a government hospital so can't download anything and macs at home so very frustrating at the moment but Pinballer73 is going to try and help, much appreciated

#1111 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer73:

PM sent with offer of help.

I am in the exact situation as swinks, so any assistance on trying to figure this out with a Mac would be great

#1112 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

if there isn't an SD card inserted into the run-dmd board, or if SD card isn't making contact correctly in the slot or if the SD card has gotten corrupted, that can cause the issue that you are experiencing
    see this thread:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-clock-reflashing-the-sd-card-to-fix-glitched-no-animations

Hey j_m_ I've actaully got Damien's boards and Run-DMD. I've captured a video of it, not sure if anyone else has seen something similar. I've re-flashed the card and used the card from my working Run-DMD and both show the same result.

Any trouble shooting I could do on the actual HUB08 boards with a voltmeter? Lots of power in the power supply, 10A should be more than enough. I suspect something happened during transport of the panels to me, or I plugged something in backwards that screwed it up.

https://www.amazon.ca/photos/share/UGpB1TdL7IpZQJYG6vsbG5Wll8Bks5OWzoYAQhhasmL

#1113 4 years ago

roar
    thanks for the video. that's a completely different issue than what I expected to see. it's definitely an issue with the right panel. the easiest option would be to order another panel from aliexpress and replace it. here's the link for the ones that I've been using:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/320-160mm-64-32pixels-1-16-Scan-Indoor-SMD3528-3in1-RGB-full-color-P5-LED-module/32707954744.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.6f4c4c4dZrSmTu

but after watching the video a second time, it's odd that the lines appear to extend to the left panel as well at the very end

#1114 4 years ago

What Stern DMD screens can be used for this?

#1115 4 years ago
    Quoted from WizardsCastle:

What Stern DMD screens can be used for this?

the red, green (avengers - hulk edition) or blue (avatar) LED displays can be used with either the run-dmd, run-dmd edge or run-dmd pinball pc boards. I made and sold kits a while ago, but the demand just wasn't there so I stopped offering them

later this month (if I don't forget), I will post the complete bill of materials and the laser cut .dxf file for the acrylic (it will need to be all cut from a sheet of the darker grey tint). I just need to remember if everything will fit

(grrr.... ponoko.com rebuilt their website and now not only doesn't my account not exist any more, but it won't let me create a new one using chrome, firefox or edge

#1116 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

(grrr.... ponoko.com rebuilt their website and now not only doesn't my account not exist any more, but it won't let me create a new one using chrome, firefox or edge

WTF?!?!?!?!

#1117 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

the red, green (avengers - hulk edition) or blue (avatar) LED displays can be used with either the run-dmd, run-dmd edge or run-dmd pinball pc boards. I made and sold kits a while ago, but the demand just wasn't there so I stopped offering them
    later this month (if I don't forget), I will post the complete bill of materials and the laser cut .dxf file for the acrylic (it will need to be all cut from a sheet of the darker grey tint). I just need to remember if everything will fit

So can't use screens out of LOTR, MET, TWD, or Spidey?

#1118 4 years ago

no, only the low voltage LED displays will work

#1119 4 years ago

I used the one out of my MET with a Run-DMD Pinball, which was an original run and is 5V.

#1120 4 years ago

this is the material to use if you use ponoko.com as your materials supplier and laser cutting service
    https://www.ponoko.com/make-and-sell/show-material/351-acrylic-gray-tint

I still need to determine if the P2 (15.118" x 15.118") sized sheet is large enough to accommodate the legs in addition to the front and rear panels. if not, I may have to alter the rear panel with larger cut-outs and cut the legs from within those cut-out sections

additionally, a modification will need to be made to the run-dmd pinball pc boards (replacing the large screw-down terminal with a 90° angled molex connector in order for everything to fit within the constraints of the kit that I made

I'll start a new thread with a detailed bill of materials and instructions next week (after my duties at the ann arbor pinball museum show are fulfilled this weekend

#1121 4 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

the red, green (avengers - hulk edition) or blue (avatar) LED displays can be used with either the run-dmd, run-dmd edge or run-dmd pinball pc boards.

I have a “Sopranos” and a “Simpsons Pinball Party” DMD and am trying to get the “Pinball” Run-DMD units to work, but can’t get any output on the DMDs. Are you saying that ONLY the Avengers or the Avatar Stern. pinball DMDs will work with the “Pinball” Run-DMD units?

#1122 4 years ago
    Quoted from crwjumper:

I have a “Sopranos” and a “Simpsons Pinball Party” DMD and am trying to get the “Pinball” Run-DMD units to work, but can’t get any output on the DMDs. Are you saying that ONLY the Avengers or the Avatar Stern. pinball DMDs will work with the “Pinball” Run-DMD units?

Both those games are enough their displays should be high voltage powered plasma displays... not 12V powered LED displays.

#1123 4 years ago

I don't quite understand your post - should they work? Do I need to power them separately from the Run-DMD device?

#1124 4 years ago

the older, gas plasma displays (eg. the orange displays) will not work with the run-dmd boards

only the newer, LED panels from the stern sam & spike system games will work

2 weeks later
    #1126 4 years ago

Fyi. I have displays built and ready to ship in my pinside shop at
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods

The shop currently has the following items for sale.
    Pinball DMD Run-DMD Pinball basic frame kit - From basic parts to complete units
    Pinball DMD Run-DMD Pinball acrylic frame kit - From basic parts to complete units
    Jumbo Red Run-DMD LED Display (Clock)
    Jumbo RGB Run-DMD LED Display (Clock)

1 week later
    #1127 4 years ago

Here's a photo of the Run-DMD displays that I have that are ready to ship with the exception of the medium one in the middle front. Stern sized plus Jumbos ready to go. I left the medium in there for a size reference. https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods

20190403_200825 (resized).jpg20190403_200825 (resized).jpg
    #1128 4 years ago

local pinsider helped with a card but now the it turns itself off earlier than it should after running perfect for a few weeks. Then got j_m_ 's replacement card and set the on and off time and then the display did everything opposite, mirrored, back the front etc - removed the card, turned everything off and back on and came on but no animations ..... ????? is there a menu function to check the animations

or do I just have a bad run-dmd board - at the moment not that happy with it...

#1129 4 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

local pinsider helped with a card but now the it turns itself off earlier than it should after running perfect for a few weeks. Then got j_m_ 's replacement card and set the on and off time and then the display did everything opposite, mirrored, back the front etc - removed the card, turned everything off and back on and came on but no animations ..... ????? is there a menu function to check the animations
    or do I just have a bad run-dmd board - at the moment not that happy with it...

I've sent limpan a pm with a link to your comments above in hopes that he can shed some light on this for you

#1130 4 years ago

I have a older run dmd, from the very first run.

Where can I get a updated sd card with more images?

#1131 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

I have a older run dmd, from the very first run.
    Where can I get a updated sd card with more images?

https://rundmdimage.wordpress.com/

1 week later
    #1132 4 years ago

BIG shout out and thank you to roar for taking time out of his days to put together this gorgeous RunDMD frame.

You sir, are a true gentleman and stud! I greatly appreciate your time and generosity, and feel like I've earned myself another great friend in this community!

00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190616211954192_COVER (resized).jpg00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190616211954192_COVER (resized).jpg
    #1133 4 years ago

BIG shout out and thank you to roar for taking time out of his days to put together this gorgeous RunDMD frame.
    You sir, are a true gentleman and stud! I greatly appreciate your time and generosity, and feel like I've earned myself another great friend in this community![quoted image]

My pleasure @wizardscastle! Each time I build one I get better at it. Thanks for your patience working through it all with me, we finally got it done!

1 week later
    #1134 4 years ago

I ended getting my clock running reliable, apparently there is a slim chance that if your house is hit by a power loss during running it can correct the sd card - reason being is the card has a portion being updated every few moments to allow for randomness of the images shown. Therefore not just a card with files to read on it but a program that runs and constantly saving. If there is a power loss during the writing it corrupts the SD card and it needs to be re-flashed.

HERE is my step guide to help those with a MAC computer.

* you will need Parallels loaded on it to run Windows programs. For a while I forgot I had this on one of my design computers.
    * you will need one of the Windows versions loaded on it - I have Windows XP on mine.

These are the steps in which I then did it - hope it helps people as the process is a little vague and assumes everyone is experienced in the process.

Step 1 - I downloaded the files
    step1 (resized).pngstep1 (resized).png

Step 2 - locate program and then the image file to be loaded to the SD card
    step2 (resized).pngstep2 (resized).png

Step 3 - While in XP on Parrallels insert the sd card into the computer and select windows screen because in apple mode it won't recognise the sd card (my screen also picks up my 3d printer)
    step3 (resized).pngstep3 (resized).png

Step 4 - Then I have an option - Initialize / Ignore / Eject - I trialed a few things but Ignore worked
    step4 (resized).pngstep4 (resized).png

Step 5 - Then in the select screen for copying the file to the sd - seen as a usb drive
    Step5 (resized).pngStep5 (resized).png

Step 6 - Then start and gives you a warning, select Yes again
    step6 (resized).pngstep6 (resized).png

Step 7 - Programming took a couple of minutes and then says complete but also gives the option to start again - so don't push start. And being Windows running on a Mac there is no option to eject the card in the Windows mode - so remove the sd card (not much choice here)
    step7 (resized).pngstep7 (resized).png

Step 8 - Have clock connected to power but off on the button 4 to turn on (on j_m_ clock it is the very left button)

Step 9 - Insert SD card and it immediately turns on and boots up

Step 10 - Set time if the board has not been already set yet - if the clock was running and you have had to reflash the clock will maintain the time (if the battery is still installed)

Step 11 - Set sleep time

Step 12 - set wake time

then it should work , which it did for me..... on both sd cards..... hope that helps some people

#1135 4 years ago

hey jady,
    I glad that you were able to sort out the issue. I can't believe that their isn't some sort of disk imaging software available on the apple computers that you could use to re-flash the SD card without going through the hassle of using parallels

#1136 4 years ago

I tried to find something when I had trouble with my sd card as I am a Mac user. Finally gave up and borrowed a windows laptop from a friend

#1137 4 years ago

can't you mac guys (and gals) use one of these tools to make a backup of your SD card to have when you need to re-flash it?

https://blogs.systweak.com/5-best-disk-cloning-app-for-mac-in-2017/

#1138 4 years ago

Macs can reformat cards and load up SD cards but the program that runs in the background on the SD card and is constantly rewriting itself during clock operation is a windows program so the problem is a little bigger. The rundmd guys need to develop a mac program app.....

Even better is a power protection feature built into the clock so if there is a power loss during the clocks operation the SD card is not corrupted - this would save alot of issues for people.

#1139 4 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

Macs can reformat cards and load up SD cards but the program that runs in the background on the SD card and is constantly rewriting itself during clock operation is a windows program so the problem is a little bigger. The rundmd guys need to develop a mac program app.....
    Even better is a power protection feature built into the clock so if there is a power loss during the clocks operation the SD card is not corrupted - this would save alot of issues for people.

you're preaching to the choir brother. pinballmiked had the very same issue with his ac/dc and CftBL hologram mod and I got him to change both so that the image files were on a separate SD card so that it wouldn't become corrupt. a 2nd micro SD on the raspberry pi is where the updated data got stored and if it got corrupt, all you had to do was wipe it out and start fresh.

agreed that they should have put even a small capacitor on the board so that in the event of a power loss, you have enough "juice" to complete a write cycle

#1140 4 years ago

well, 3 weeks down and my clock is playing up once again, didn't have any power loss but it did turn off during a period I was doing some 3d printing which was on the same wall outlet ?????

2 weeks later
    #1141 4 years ago

To celebrate another amazing Southern Fried Gaming Expo I'm offering free shipping on all Run-DMD Jumbo displays and Pinball DMD Run-DMD kits until Monday or until I run out. This is a $30 savings off normal prices. Use discount code S97L-GJKZ-GF26-ZMX4 at checkout.

For Example:
    Jumbo Red Run-DMD LED Display (Clock) - $370 Shipped
    Jumbo RGB Run-DMD LED Display (Clock) - $500 Shipped

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02390-jumbo-red-run-dmd-led-display-clock
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02382-jumbo-rgb-run-dmd-led-display-clock
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02128-pinball-dmd-run-dmd-acrylic-frame-kit

Added over 5 years ago:

** $20 price drop **
    Jumbo Red Run-DMD LED Display (Clock) - $350 Shipped
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02390-jumbo-red-run-dmd-led-display-clock

Added over 5 years ago:

** $25 price drop **
    Jumbo RGB Run-DMD LED Display (Clock) - $475 Shipped
    https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1167-gameroom-mods/02382-jumbo-rgb-run-dmd-led-display-clock

1 month later
    #1142 4 years ago

Until September 2nd I'm offering a special on Jumbo Run-DMD displays with Edge lighting. See the details in the post below.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jumbo-run-dmd-edge-lit-display-special#post-5155316

Standard Run-DMD Display Family

Jumbo Red Run-DMD display with Edge-lit frame. Choose your color and LED mode.

Jumbo RGB Run-DMD display with Edge-lit frame with custom message - Choose your message, font, and graphics!

#1143 4 years ago

I like the edge lighting with the custom message

#1144 4 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

I like the edge lighting with the custom message

Thanks! I have done a bunch of these via soda blasting which was a mess and had limitations. With the laser I can do pretty much anything that fits. I'm in the process of redoing my personal displays.

2 weeks later
    #1145 4 years ago

Haven't messed with my RunDmd for awhile. So B134 is the latest image available? Thanks!

2 months later
    #1146 4 years ago
    Quoted from tslayer71:

Haven't messed with my RunDmd for awhile. So B134 is the latest image available? Thanks!

Good question. Mine says rev 3.52. Whats the latest?

#1147 4 years ago

So after 18 months, my 2018 j_m_ -build clock's SD card finally ate itself.

I thought I had the image saved to reflash a new one... but do not. And it seems the website was taken offline... just a couple days ago OF COURSE

Can anyone share me a link to the image, if it's hosted elsewhere? Or failing that, would anyone be willing to send me an SD (I'll pay reasonable cost of course)

#1148 4 years ago

I'm thinking of building a new clock.

Does the remote control work yet?

I really want to be able to put it high up above my games.

Also, are there doctor who images in the data base?

#1149 4 years ago

Turned on my RunDMD today, and I'm getting this:

Any suggestions?

#1150 4 years ago

Looks like a corrupt SD, tried to replace it with a different one?

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released/page/23?hl=mikedenton49 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.