(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    PacDotsmall (resized).jpg
    LEDarcade2 (resized).jpg
    1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    52978E50-7D5F-4414-B1A7-D67B2D69D694 (resized).jpeg
    Run dmc (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0074 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3959 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210925_171305935.MP (resized).jpg
    HUB08 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD (resized).JPG
    669C1ED9-72C7-47F8-889A-E8731D50942E.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 33.
    #1001 5 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

Huh. I thought he was very polite with his opinion.

No offense but... you can't write that without offending. I think it is fair to say it looks great and is easy and amazing, that is all onside, but it is my opinion that if you follow that up with 'no offense but I think it blows away the Plexi+ standoff frame idea' you are putting down the Plexi+ standoff solution inside the very thread that inspired frame solution. Just my opinion. Fair to say I've misjudged things in the past though, this may be another example.

#1002 5 years ago
    Quoted from J_Striker:

seems like the glare is bright if not seen through a tinted plexi glass..... wonder if you could get the frame to fit around the plexi instead of the panels

It's just my crappy phone with the poor pics, it has, funny as this sounds by looking at my pics, "anti glare Plexi"....No glare in person.

#1003 5 years ago
    Quoted from roar:

No offense but... you can't write that without offending. I think it is fair to say it looks great and is easy and amazing, that is all onside, but it is my opinion that if you follow that up with 'no offense but I think it blows away the Plexi+ standoff frame idea' you are putting down the Plexi+ standoff solution inside the very thread that inspired frame solution. Just my opinion. Fair to say I've misjudged things in the past though, this may be another example.

I'm not trying to put another option down in any way, and, as I said, mean no offense. I just think this looks very professional, looks like a framed work of art. This metal frame surrounds the anti glare Plexi and DMD sections. Included hardware with frame holds everything in place,only one screw needed to mount PCB. I was just very impressed, and couldn't obtain the other option so I am very happy this option was mentioned. For just around $280 total, I'm very happy with the end result.

#1004 5 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

I'm not trying to put another option down in any way, and, as I said, mean no offense. I just think this looks very professional, looks like a framed work of art. This metal frame surrounds the anti glare Plexi and DMD sections. Included hardware with frame holds everything in place,only one screw needed to mount PCB. I was just very impressed, and couldn't obtain the other option so I am very happy this option was mentioned. For just around $280 total, I'm very happy with the end result.

I took this suggestion and did this too. An excellent option that looks fantastic!

#1005 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

Is that an Edge or White board?

White board

#1006 5 years ago
    Quoted from J_Striker:

seems like the glare is bright if not seen through a tinted plexi glass..... wonder if you could get the frame to fit around the plexi instead of the panels

There is anti-glare plexi that the frame fits around. It doesn’t have any glare in person.

Just want to give props for this frame idea, it's awesome. No offense, but I think it blows away the Plexi+ standoffs frame idea. This looks so clean, and only takes 10 min or less to put together. A very "Finished" look, absolutely love it...Thanks again! Highly recommend!

That looks awesome! Nicely done!

#1007 5 years ago

Just want to give props for this frame idea, it's awesome. No offense, but I think it blows away the Plexi+ standoffs frame idea. This looks so clean, and only takes 10 min or less to put together. A very "Finished" look, absolutely love it...Thanks again! Highly recommend!

Thanks for the assembly pic. I agree this is the way to go.

#1008 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

There is anti-glare plexi that the frame fits around. It doesn’t have any glare in person.

That looks awesome! Nicely done!

Once again, you rock! Love this look...

#1009 5 years ago

I wish there was a way on the RunDMD board to display the game name briefly after the animation (as an optional feature). I frequently see an animation and wonder what game it's from. Probably not possible as I don't think the game name is in the animation data?

#1010 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

I wish there was a way on the RunDMD board to display the game name briefly after the animation (as an optional feature). I frequently see an animation and wonder what game it's from. Probably not possible as I don't think the game name is in the animation data?

correct. I do not believe that any tag information is stored for the animations

#1011 5 years ago

I think this frame looks great so I'm going this route. I have everything but the displays, hopefully they will be here by the weekend.

I'm curious, what do you mount the PCB to... the back of the displays?

#1012 5 years ago
    Quoted from mjthompson:

I think this frame looks great so I'm going this route. I have everything but the displays, hopefully they will be here by the weekend.
    I'm curious, what do you mount the PCB to... the back of the displays?

Yes - a single M3 screw secures the board to the back of the display.

#1013 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

correct. I do not believe that any tag information is stored for the animations

Ugh - I really am curious what game some of these animations are from! I just saw one with a skeleton hand opening a book - inside the book, there was a skeleton head that turned into a pumpkin head. What would that be from???

#1014 5 years ago

scared stiff

next animation question?

#1015 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

scared stiff
    next animation question?

thanks - that was one of my guesses as I've never owned one.

#1016 5 years ago

Can't not see those animation and not say "Fat Head" or " Fish Head" etc lol

#1017 5 years ago

Started working on my clock tonight. Have everything plugged in, bit seems the connectors to the Run DMD board will need to be spliced and plugged in by raw wire?

If so, does anyone know what gauge these are so I can strip the ends?

Thanks!

IMG_20180726_003826 (resized).jpgIMG_20180726_003826 (resized).jpgIMG_20180726_003924 (resized).jpgIMG_20180726_003924 (resized).jpg

#1018 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

not in your pretty coloured money (notice the unnecessary 'u'? <-
    I'll look at posting the frames on ponoko.com as a purchase-able item once I submit my order for this batch and the relay the information here (link and pricing)

You asked me to send you measurements when I got it all together.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks again!

IMG_20180726_005955 (resized).jpgIMG_20180726_005955 (resized).jpg
    #1019 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

You asked me to send you measurements when I got it all together.
    Let me know if you need anything else.
    Thanks again!

I asked for the measurements (center to center) between the studs on a single panel (both the height and width) in millimeters as well as the distance of the studs center to center (again in millimeters) between the 2 panels as they sit side-by-side together (where you have the small ribbon cable connecting them.

please provide the these 3 values in a pm and I will be more than happy to try and assist you

#1020 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I asked for the measurements (center to center) between the studs on a single panel (both the height and width) in millimeters as well as the distance of the studs center to center (again in millimeters) between the 2 panels as they sit side-by-side together (where you have the small ribbon cable connecting them.
    please provide the these 3 values in a pm and I will be more than happy to try and assist you

I'll get that to you.

Can anyone comment on the end that goes into the Run DMD board? Do I need to cut the connectors off and just use raw wire?

#1021 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

I'll get that to you.
    Can anyone comment on the end that goes into the Run DMD board? Do I need to cut the connectors off and just use raw wire?

yep. that's why I had them stop putting them on and I add my own molex connector

#1022 5 years ago

I think I want to build a clock that's 50% larger than my original, any hints as what size panels to get?

#1023 5 years ago

Was just looking at the pics of your frame and the one pic you had from the back of it, where the bottom side (solder) was shown.

Looks like each display is in a black plastic frame?

My board just looks bare like this...

Am I missing something?

IMG_20180726_003826 (resized).jpgIMG_20180726_003826 (resized).jpg
    #1024 5 years ago

Got it all connected and running, but only shows time and does not cycle through animations?

Are they preloaded on the SD card, or do I have to download them?

IMG_20180727_195638 (resized).jpgIMG_20180727_195638 (resized).jpg
    #1025 5 years ago

Am I missing the animation files?

MVIMG_20180727_220829 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20180727_220829 (resized).jpg
    #1026 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

Am I missing the animation files?
    [quoted image]

It doesn’t come pre-loaded with animations. Google run-dmd b134 and you’ll find the image file and instructions.

Quoted from Damien:

Was just looking at the pics of your frame and the one pic you had from the back of it, where the bottom side (solder) was shown.
    Looks like each display is in a black plastic frame?
    My board just looks bare like this...
    Am I missing something?
    [quoted image]

Yes, the ones we ordered had a black frame on the backside. You may still be able to get a metal frame to work, but you would need to put a non-conducting layer between the metal tensioners and the back of those panels.

#1027 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

It doesn’t come pre-loaded with animations. Google run-dmd b134 and you’ll find the image file and instructions.

Yes, the ones we ordered had a black frame on the backside. You may still be able to get a metal frame to work, but you would need to put a non-conducting layer between the metal tensioners and the back of those panels.

Yup, found the image after writing that last message.

Can you send a link to the displays you bought?

#1028 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

Yup, found the image after writing that last message.
    Can you send a link to the displays you bought?

I just ordered the one in the RunDMD FAQ:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32754158226.html?trace=wwwdetail2mobilesitedetail&productId=32754158226&productSubject=64x32-indoor-RGB-hd-p5-indoor-led-module-video-wall-high-quality-P2-5-P3-P4

1 week later
    #1029 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

Your wish is granted. Torbjörn has just released firmware 3.54 for the Run-DMD.
    Download link is available here: https://run-dmd.com/blog/

Firmware 3.54 changelog:
    New feature “SHOW NAME” in the “ANIMATION” menu. Displays current animations name.
    Possible settings are “HIDE”, “BEFORE”, “DURING” and “AFTER”

Menu setting "AFTER" could probably be in good use for a guessing game, like the first one to mention 10 correct games from where the animation is gets a free beer!

#1030 5 years ago

I just got 100 in a row correct. I'll send you my address info so that you can send me my free beers!

#1031 5 years ago

That is a really cool feature! Now before I go rushing off to buy a PICKIT3 is there anything I need to validate on my current Run-DMD to ensure It will run the new FW? Or j_m_ do you still offer FW updates?

#1032 5 years ago
    Quoted from ScottyC:

j_m_ do you still offer FW updates?

I do, however it would need be one of older clocks (from batches 1 or 2) which use a [replaceable] PIC chip. these are the clocks using the older EDGE boards

if you have a clock that has the run-dmd WHITE board (all of the clocks that have 8 selectable color choices), your best bet is to purchase a PICkit 3 from ebay for about $20 and perform the updates yourself
    ebay.com link: Universal PICKit3 Programme PIC Simulator Emluator Microchip Debugger Kit TE465

#1033 5 years ago

thanx! I was in your batch 5 and have the WHITE board. Picking up a PICkit3

#1034 5 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

Your wish is granted. Torbjörn has just released firmware 3.54 for the Run-DMD.
    Download link is available here: https://run-dmd.com/blog/
    Firmware 3.54 changelog:
    New feature “SHOW NAME” in the “ANIMATION” menu. Displays current animations name.
    Possible settings are “HIDE”, “BEFORE”, “DURING” and “AFTER”
    Menu setting "AFTER" could probably be in good use for a guessing game, like the first one to mention 10 correct games from where the animation is gets a free beer!

That is so awesome - thank you! Now if only I could find my programmer...

#1035 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I just got 100 in a row correct. I'll send you my address info so that you can send me my free beers!

Haha. Great!

#1036 5 years ago

I plugged in my Run DMD clock today, and noticed it was running without the red/black wires being connected to the Run DMD board.

The ribbon cables was connected, but the black/red came lose.

Can someone explain how it still displays without this.

Is my Run DMD pulling a iRobot on me, and it's going to now turn against me and all of humanity?

#1037 5 years ago

It will probably be pulling all the current through the micro controller gpio lines which can seriously damage the micro controller. Always have the display panel power rails connected.

#1038 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I do, however it would need be one of older clocks (from batches 1 or 2) which use a [replaceable] PIC chip. these are the clocks using the older EDGE boards
    if you have a clock that has the run-dmd WHITE board (all of the clocks that have 8 selectable color choices), your best bet is to purchase a PICkit 3 from ebay for about $20 and perform the updates yourself
    ebay.com link » Universal Pickit3 Programme Pic Simulator Emluator Microchip Debugger Kit Te465

I have a PICkit3 coming. I'm more than willing to fumble around with this myself but to save me some time... Does anyone have any pointers for updating a run-dmd white board? Where to get the software, steps for the update process, etc.

#1039 5 years ago

you know. pinside does have a 'search' feature

not up to date, but should be enough to get you going. my thought is that if everything has to be spelled out, then maybe you shouldn't be messing around with stuff like this
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-programming-the-pic-chip-1#post-2515464

#1040 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

you know. pinside does have a 'search' feature
    not up to date, but should be enough to get you going. my thought is that if everything has to be spelled out, then maybe you shouldn't be messing around with stuff like this
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-programming-the-pic-chip-1#post-2515464

Sorry. I wasn't trying to be lazy. I did search and did find the referenced post but the last post was two years old and I wasn't sure how well the info applied to the white board, whether there were any gotchas with the newer MPLAB softerware, etc.

I like "messing around with stuff like this" but I was hoping to save some time by getting around headaches others have had to deal with... I'll figure it out.

#1041 5 years ago

John_I 's post (the 2nd in the linked thread) goes on to discuss the steps using the ICSP port

#1042 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

<snip>
    I ordered the frame about 3/16 of an inch larger on both dimensions so the outer row of dots wouldn’t be obscured. The tensioners sent with the frame hold the panels in place just fine even with the gap.[quoted image]

In order to calculate the dimensions you need for the frame, do you need take any of the frame size into account or just take the panel dimensions and add 3/16 of an inch?

#1043 5 years ago

I think that I've made this more confusing than it needs to be. let me take a photo of the backside of 2 panels side-by-side and overlay what dimensions that I need. I'll try and post it tonight

#1044 5 years ago
    Quoted from Lamprey:

In order to calculate the dimensions you need for the frame, do you need take any of the frame size into account or just take the panel dimensions and add 3/16 of an inch?

Just the panel dimensions and add 3/16

#1045 5 years ago

ah, this is the for the picture frame option, not acrylic frames. nevermind

1 week later
    #1046 5 years ago

Limpan Question about my Run DMD Pico Alarm clock. The animations on mine sometimes glitch (see pic). Can last a few minutes or a few seconds then it fixes itself. I can also hit the dim display button on and off and it fixes it temporarily. Once a day or 2 wouldn't be a big deal but it happens pretty often. Any ideas? And there isn't a way to update it like the normal size clocks just the images right?

IMG_0620 (resized).JPGIMG_0620 (resized).JPG
    #1047 5 years ago
    Quoted from phillymadison:

limpan Question about my Run DMD Pico Alarm clock. The animations on mine sometimes glitch (see pic). Can last a few minutes or a few seconds then it fixes itself. I can also hit the dim display button on and off and it fixes it temporarily. Once a day or 2 wouldn't be a big deal but it happens pretty often. Any ideas? And there isn't a way to update it like the normal size clocks just the images right? [quoted image]

I also see this with the new 3.54 firmware.

#1048 5 years ago

I'm going to chime in and suggest re-flashing the micro SD card. I've seen it where the card becomes corrupt and does it. usually, reflashing it with HDD rawcopy corrects the issue

#1049 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I'm going to chime in and suggest re-flashing the micro SD card. I've seen it where the card becomes corrupt and does it. usually, reflashing it with HDD rawcopy corrects the issue

Sounds like it's worth a try, I'll re-flash this weekend.

#1050 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

Quoted from mjthompson:

Sounds like it's worth a try, I'll re-flash this weekend.

FYI... I re-flashed last night and everything has been working better so far. Thanks!

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.