(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    PacDotsmall (resized).jpg
    LEDarcade2 (resized).jpg
    1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    52978E50-7D5F-4414-B1A7-D67B2D69D694 (resized).jpeg
    Run dmc (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0074 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3959 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210925_171305935.MP (resized).jpg
    HUB08 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD (resized).JPG
    669C1ED9-72C7-47F8-889A-E8731D50942E.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 33.
    #901 6 years ago

There's a menu you can get into with the little buttons inside and lets you delete the ones you don't want,set the time,restore to factory.....

#903 6 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

There's a menu you can get into with the little buttons inside and lets you delete the ones you don't want,set the time,restore to factory.....

What's great is you can take off specific animations or entire games

#904 6 years ago
    Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Agreed! I also get a ton of Ghostbusters.

Quoted from yancy:

Yeah, I see a lot of Ghostbusters too.

Could be that Ghostbusters (and WWE) has many animations overall. Torbjörn has made the randomizer function so that the same animation can't show up within the next 250 (if I remember correct) animations, making it "more random than random"

#905 6 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

Torbjörn has made the randomizer function so that the same animation can't show up within the next 250 (if I remember correct) animations, making it "more random than random" ...

Wouldn't that technically make it LESS random?

#906 6 years ago

I guess it's sort of like this:

4 weeks later
    #907 5 years ago

hi guys is there a link where I can buy one? A shop or something, mail adress ? I mean the dmd clock

#908 5 years ago
    Quoted from Funkbuster:

hi guys is there a link where I can buy one? A shop or something, mail adress ? I mean the dmd clock

You can buy the Run-DMD PCB from our new webshop that opened yesterday: https://run-dmd.com

There's no way right now to buy a complete clock with the HUB08/HUB75 panels from the website right now because the shipping fee from Sweden would kill the deal. I'm looking for ways to ship complete kits inside EU though, but not available right now.

I just opened the new website, and hopefully everything is working as it should. If anyone encounters any problems with the new website, let me know.

We also have a repaired Run-DMD Classic for sale with a discount (89 EUR instead of 134). Only 1 pcs. available:
    https://run-dmd.com/product/run-dmd-classic/

1 week later
    #909 5 years ago

Ok, have been eyeing this for a few years, thinking of pulling the trigger...

So I just need to grab the "white" PCB, and associated displays, and a ps....then download the animation/upload to SD card? Then be up and running?

#910 5 years ago

J_M opened run again to 24 units.
    Nows your chance to grab famous clock.

#911 5 years ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

So I just need to grab the "white" PCB, and associated displays, and a ps....then download the animation/upload to SD card? Then be up and running?

So....yes/no/maybe? Ready to order the "white board" and AliExpress associated DMDs...Just want to make sure, since it's been a while since I've contemplated this..

#912 5 years ago

Yes, exactly, you'll need:
    * Run-DMD White (or Edge)
    * 2 pcs. HUB75 displays (or HUB08 if you choose Edge over White)
    * 10A PSU linked in the FAQ over at run-dmd.com
    * Some kind of frame to fit everything in.
    * Flash the SD card with the latest B134 image-

#913 5 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

Yes, exactly, you'll need:
    * Run-DMD White (or Edge)
    * 2 pcs. HUB75 displays (or HUB08 if you choose Edge over White)
    * 10A PSU linked in the FAQ over at run-dmd.com
    * Some kind of frame to fit everything in.
    * Flash the SD card with the latest B134 image-

Thank You

#914 5 years ago

Last question before I order, what exactly is the difference between the "edge" and "white" boards? I understand they use different display panels, but what are the benefits, positive and negative of either?

#915 5 years ago

Last question before I order, what exactly is the difference between the "edge" and "white" boards? I understand they use different display panels, but what are the benefits, positive and negative of either?

HUB75 displays, more color options use the white board
    HUB08 regular orange (classic) color use the edge board.

#916 5 years ago

Yes, exactly as pinballinreno said. Otherwise they are similar, both are compatible with a regular Pinball DMD as well.

#917 5 years ago

Got my RUN-DMD back in early 2015, where it was used ½ year, and thereafter failed.

The last couple of days I've been looking into getting it running again, but it seems that my re-imaging of the SD-card needs one with animations included on this version of the board.
    Reading through the thread, I didn't find any direct links, but it seems like people are in 'the know', as to were I could get me some of that.

Would a kind soul PM me some highly valued info in regards to making this RUN-DMD great again?

#918 5 years ago

Got my RUN-DMD back in early 2015, where it was used ½ year, and thereafter failed.

The last couple of days I've been looking into getting it running again, but it seems that my re-imaging of the SD-card needs one with animations included on this version of the board.
    Reading through the thread, I didn't find any direct links, but it seems like people are in 'the know', as to were I could get me some of that.

Would a kind soul PM me some highly valued info in regards to making this RUN-DMD great again?

#919 5 years ago

Ordered everything last night, Thanks Again!

#920 5 years ago

Ordered everything last night, Thanks Again!

Could you share how much it all costs for the parts. Just wondering if it is better than buying it all together.

#921 5 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

Could you share how much it all costs for the parts. Just wondering if it is better than buying it all together.

I believe it was around $240ish:
    - "White" PCB (PayPal added more than I expected, but my credit card wouldn't allow international purchase for some reason), DMD panels from AliExpress, and grabbed the PS on eBay as it was cheaper (with same specs). Going to figure out a wood frame, no frame, or some sort of custom setup (Don't think anyone is selling frames anymore??)

#922 5 years ago

I can do frames for "white". PM me.
    Cheers/MiMa

- "White" PCB (PayPal added more than I expected, but my credit card wouldn't allow international purchase for some reason), DMD panels from AliExpress, and grabbed the PS on eBay as it was cheaper (with same specs). Going to figure out a wood frame, no frame, or some sort of custom setup (Don't think anyone is selling frames anymore??)

#923 5 years ago

Is there a new version of code?

#924 5 years ago

The frame template is available for download and you can order it made from ponoko.

https://www.ponoko.com/

#925 5 years ago
    Quoted from mchay:

Send you an answer on the PM you sent. Let me know if you need any further help.

#926 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

More
    The frame template is available for download and you can order it made from ponoko.
    https://www.ponoko.com/

I saw that while googling, but didn't know which fits the "white" board and HUB75 display(Four different frame files are listed), and how to go about ordering. (Looks like you need to open an account and add the plans)

#927 5 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

Yes, exactly as pinballinreno said. Otherwise they are similar, both are compatible with a regular Pinball DMD as well.

I'm discovering this very late. What an awesome product!! I really like the idea of building a speaker-panel-style frame, and maybe just installing BT speakers to play tunes from my phone or something. I have an extra DMD from an Addams Family pin--will this work?

#928 5 years ago
    Quoted from SeaLawyer:

I'm discovering this very late. What an awesome product!! I really like the idea of building a speaker-panel-style frame, and maybe just installing BT speakers to play tunes from my phone or something. I have an extra DMD from an Addams Family pin--will this work?

No that plasma display will not work. Well it would if you built a high voltage system to get the display to operate. But, you can get those red LED DMDs Stern used to use and connect that up to the kit specifically for that type of display.

#929 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

No that plasma display will not work. Well it would if you built a high voltage system to get the display to operate. But, you can get those red LED DMDs Stern used to use and connect that up to the kit specifically for that type of display.

Ok, cool, thanks. Whatever happened with the EXP-One board?

#930 5 years ago

What all is necessary to get this working? I have extra P5 and P10 panels as well as a bunch of power supplies from my xmas light display.

#931 5 years ago
    Quoted from ChiefKC:

What all is necessary to get this working? I have extra P5 and P10 panels as well as a bunch of power supplies from my xmas light display.

You have a few pages to read thru. Everything is talked about.
    -Mike

#932 5 years ago

I’ve done a lot of reading- is ther anywhere to get the acrylic panels for the front and back? Most of these posts are pretty old . .

#934 5 years ago

I did mine about a year ago. Did make my own frame. A lexan plate in the front, four metal strips in a square at the back as a frame. Hex spacers between metal frame and board, bigger spacers between metal frame and front lexan plate. Easy to do, lot of drilling. I use a dark lexan plate, as my clock is very bright and you can use the dimming but mine then makes a high pitched noise? So i did a dark lexan plate and run it on full brightness. The assembly of the clock is easy. Connect the boards to each other, connect the Run DMD board, connect the power, upload latest software, done. The integration on the wall is hardest if you want everything nicely tucked away

20170619_222439 (resized).jpg20170619_222439 (resized).jpg

#935 5 years ago
    Quoted from PeterG:

I did mine about a year ago. Did make my own frame. A lexan plate in the front, four metal strips in a square at the back as a frame. Hex spacers between metal frame and board, bigger spacers between metal frame and front lexan plate. Easy to do, lot of drilling. I use a dark lexan plate, as my clock is very bright and you can use the dimming but mine then makes a high pitched noise? So i did a dark lexan plate and run it on full brightness. The assembly of the clock is easy. Connect the boards to each other, connect the Run DMD board, connect the power, upload latest software, done. The integration on the wall is hardest if you want everything nicely tucked away

Looks great!

#936 5 years ago

Does anyone have any issues with their clock running fast? Mine gains about 30 seconds every day. It gets really annoying having to change it every few days.

#937 5 years ago

What is the status on the EXP ONE board? I don't see it listed on the Run-DMD website.

#938 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

What is the status on the EXP ONE board? I don't see it listed on the Run-DMD website.

I had an email in to Linus as well, here was his reply in case others are wondering:

The EXP ONE is not added in stock in the new webshop because it was not that popular, there's also some issues with some of the LED panels that sends out a high frequent noise that interferes with the remote signal, which makes the remote not always working, and it does not seem to help with other remotes (tried both 315 and 433 MHz remotes). Will add it at a later point if I could find a remote that's more reliable.

#939 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damonator:

I had an email in to Linus as well, here was his reply in case others are wondering:
    The EXP ONE is not added in stock in the new webshop because it was not that popular, there's also some issues with some of the LED panels that sends out a high frequent noise that interferes with the remote signal, which makes the remote not always working, and it does not seem to help with other remotes (tried both 315 and 433 MHz remotes). Will add it at a later point if I could find a remote that's more reliable.

Yes I have one and I bought it to use the remote and my remote has never worked at all. He even sent me a spare remote but that's not it it only works when the remote is actually touching the antenna. I very much hope that he can resolve this as I would very much like to have a working remote.

#940 5 years ago

Yes I have one and I bought it to use the remote and my remote has never worked at all. He even sent me a spare remote but that's not it it only works when the remote is actually touching the antenna. I very much hope that he can resolve this as I would very much like to have a working remote.

Same here. Remote doesn't work, but not really an issue I just use the buttons on the board to make changes.

#941 5 years ago
    Quoted from fnosm:

More
    Same here. Remote doesn't work, but not really an issue I just use the buttons on the board to make changes.

My clock is high up on the wall behind my game and difficult to reach the buttons but I only really have to adjust it twice a year.

too bad there's no daylight savings time adjustment on the clock then I wouldn't need the remote.

#942 5 years ago

My clock is high up on the wall behind my game and difficult to reach the buttons but I only really have to adjust it once a year.
    too bad there's no daylight savings time adjustment on the clock then I wouldn't need the remote.

Wouldn’t that be twice a year?

#943 5 years ago
    Quoted from SeaLawyer:

More
    Wouldn’t that be twice a year?

Doh...i fixed it

#944 5 years ago

Lol, believe me, I also wish spring forward wasn’t a thing!

#945 5 years ago
    Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Lol, believe me, I also wish spring forward wasn’t a thing!

Move to Arizoba, we don’t do that for crap.

#946 5 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Does anyone have any issues with their clock running fast? Mine gains about 30 seconds every day. It gets really annoying having to change it every few days.

That sounds weird. Does the Run-DMD return to the correct time if you restart it?

#947 5 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

That sounds weird. Does the Run-DMD return to the correct time if you restart it?

When you say restart, do you mean just unplugging it and plugging it back in again, or is there an actual restart button?

#948 5 years ago

I'm about to buy a board and DMD/PSU, but I'm curious to know where I can get a frame.

This one looks pretty sweet:

Also, is it better to go with an Edge or White model?

Cheers

#949 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

I'm about to buy a board and DMD/PSU, but I'm curious to know where I can get a frame.
    Cheers

Sweet!
    Here Is a few quick answers:

Acrylic Frame:
    I could set you up with one, but shipping overseas is a killer with fees and so on.
    You could check with j_m_ he is on the same continent as you. That would probably be
    the more economic option for you. Otherwise throw me a PM and I´ll set you up
    with a frame from Sweden.

White v.s Edge:
    It depends on your use case

Edge compatible with
    – HUB08 panels
    – Pinball LED DMDs (Stern or Xpin)

White compatible with
    – HUB75 panels
    – Pinball LED DMD (Stern or Xpin)

This means that depending on what panels you are going to use (unless you use a LED low volt pinball DMD screen)
    you need to buy the right RUN-DMD board. Besides that the HUB08 panels are one color standard amber/orange and the HUB75
    panels are RGB panels, where you on the "White" PCB can set the displays color by switching some dip switches giving you the option
    to run your RUN-DMD in one of seven colors (Red, Green, Blue, Purple, Teal,Pale Green, or White).

If you opt for the "white" you would also need a powersuply that can deliver higher amps (10A) then you would need if you go with the
    "edge".

That is basically it..

Happy Run-DMDing
    /mima

#950 5 years ago
    Quoted from Damien:

Cheers

j_m_ has said he may make the latest version of the acrylic frame available on ponoko.com.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-check-run-dmd-clocks-absolutely-the-final-batch/page/2#post-4440121

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released/page/19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.