(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    PacDotsmall (resized).jpg
    LEDarcade2 (resized).jpg
    1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    52978E50-7D5F-4414-B1A7-D67B2D69D694 (resized).jpeg
    Run dmc (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0074 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3959 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210925_171305935.MP (resized).jpg
    HUB08 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD (resized).JPG
    669C1ED9-72C7-47F8-889A-E8731D50942E.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 33.
    #851 6 years ago
    Quoted from Troutfarm:

Got mine today. But there are no animations loaded on the card. Does anyone know if I can reformat this micro sd card? I will need to format it to something a mac or pc can identify. Not sure what the native file format is on the PICO. Thanks!

I've heard that there's an image file floating around for the Run-DMD PICO, and it's probably easy to find using one of the major search engines. The Run-DMD PICO does not use any regular file format like FAT/NTFS, so you won't be able to see any of the Micro SD card content if plugged into your computer. Send me a PM if you need any help with the image file/SD card.

#852 6 years ago

FYI,

I received my picoDMD today and found out the 4GB memory card that is included is too small for the current image file at run-dmd image for the picoDMD. I had to put in a larger memory card than 4GB in order for the image to fit on the card.

I had a 16GB microSD card and it works now!!

#853 6 years ago
    Quoted from flyhigh:

FYI,
    I received my picoDMD today and found out the 4GB memory card that is included is too small for the current image file at run-dmd image for the picoDMD. I had to put in a larger memory card than 4GB in order for the image to fit on the card.
    I had a 16GB microSD card and it works now!!

Surprising given the download is only 29MB

#854 6 years ago

Should work just fine with a 4GB card even though it gives you an error message. Try it and let me know how it works!

2 weeks later
    #855 6 years ago

Finally got my pico assembled and running - such a cool bedside clock! Big big thanks to Linus for shipping a replacement after the first disappeared somewhere between Sweden and Australia.

Strangely my full size runDMD that I bought new off a pinsider got jealous and has packed it in after barely a few days of actual use. I turned it on and one half of the display was blank and now it won't show anything. I reformatted the card and downloaded the latest image but it seems dead. Thoughts?

#856 6 years ago
    Quoted from pocketscience:

Finally got my pico assembled and running - such a cool bedside clock! Big big thanks to Linus for shipping a replacement after the first disappeared somewhere between Sweden and Australia.
    Strangely my full size runDMD that I bought new off a pinsider got jealous and has packed it in after barely a few days of actual use. I turned it on and one half of the display was blank and now it won't show anything. I reformatted the card and downloaded the latest image but it seems dead. Thoughts?

Did you check all the connections on the back of the clock and reseat them? Could just be that a ribbon cable came loose.

#857 6 years ago

Order a couple replacement led panels from ali express, they are super cheap like $12 or a little more.
    I order them in pairs so they match up.

#858 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Order a couple replacement led panels from ali express, they are super cheap like $12 or a little more.
    I order them in pairs so they match up.

Oh cool, didn't realise they were so cheap. I haven't looked but I assume there are details on what's needed on the runDMD site..

#859 6 years ago

check to make sure that the crimp connectors for the power cable have not backed themselves out. no power and/or earth to the 2nd panel will render it as if it's dead

#860 6 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

check to make sure that the crimp connectors for the power cable have not backed themselves out. no power and/or earth to the 2nd panel will render it as if it's dead

Yeah, once I'd disassembled it that was exactly the problem. I re-seated them and flexed the little tabs out slightly to ensure they stay put. All working again!

1 month later
    #861 6 years ago

Does anyone know what filesystem is used on the RunDMD SD card? I was hoping it was Linux ext2 but it's not? Probably some rare embedded system FS? Be nice to be able to customise what animations are on the card..

#862 6 years ago
    Quoted from chriskuta:

Does anyone know what filesystem is used on the RunDMD SD card? I was hoping it was Linux ext2 but it's not? Probably some rare embedded system FS? Be nice to be able to customise what animations are on the card..

the SD card is written as a raw image with no file allocation table. many programs use this type of writing to protect the contents of the media (it is accessed via direct memory locations on the device vs. file names

1 week later
    #863 6 years ago
    Quoted from chriskuta:

RunDMD is fixed to the animations provided by the guy programming it.

The german "Go DMD" is able to work with your own animations. The editor comes with the clock as a download but it is hell lot of work to create animaions. You hve to copy them from VirtualPinball. Also the quality is not like RunDMD ... the animations dont flow nicely in each other, etc pp ...
    I want just to show you that there is a way to have a DMD clock with own animations !

3 weeks later
    #864 6 years ago

What is the best way to obtain a frame now a days? Clock fell last night and shattered...

3 weeks later
    #865 6 years ago

Hi. Is there a way to make the clock always behind the animations when using auto clock overlay? I mean the animations where the clock doesn't automatically disappear.

1 month later
    #866 6 years ago
    Quoted from mamefan:

Hi. Is there a way to make the clock always behind the animations when using auto clock overlay? I mean the animations where the clock doesn't automatically disappear.

Fixed in the latest firmware: https://blog.run-dmd.com/firmware-3-53/

#867 6 years ago

linus:
    you may want to mention that with the run-dmd white pc boards, the firmware is a surface mounted chip and requires the use of a microchip pickit 3 (see link below) in order to update to the latest firmware
    http://www.microchipdirect.com/product/search/all/pickit3?mns=pickit%203

NOTE: you will need both the PG164130 - PICkit 3 In-Circuit Debugger and the TPROG001 - PICkit 3 Programming Cable Kit

the older models of the run-dmd pc boards featured a socketed dip-type package pic chip that could be removed and swapped out with an updated chip

#868 6 years ago

Limpan anymore animation updates coming out? Still some pretty cool images that could be used from Simpsons pinball party, WWF Royal Rumble and the Super Mario games. Just saying

#869 6 years ago

Does anybody have extracted the animations from Capcom games?

I would need some please!

Thx

1 month later
    #870 6 years ago

Run-dmd pico. I great clock but I have noticed a few issues that others may have the solution for? I bought the kit when it first came out and have been running it continuously and have now found a few things going on that others may or may not be experiencing?

First OLED screen burn-in. I am seeing the clock numbers with the AM/PM burned into the screen. Any solution for this issue? Possibly an updated code to shift the clock around the display to prevent this from happening?

Second after running the clock for about 2 to 3 days I am getting a bunch of horizontal lines displayed instead of the animation? If I unplug the power and plug it back in then it returns to normal. Maybe a code issue or a reboot routine every 24 hours to prevent this from occurring? I selected the reboot from the tools menu and it fixed the issue but it does return.

Any help would be appreciated. I really would like this clock to last for many many years and hopefully these issues can get resolved so this little gem doesn't become an lost artifact of the past.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

#871 6 years ago

I run my Pico at my work desk. It runs about 10 hours a day, then gets turn off.

One time, it showed over 20 animations in a row, with no pause or time. It appeared like a 'dump'.

No big issue, but I though I'd contribute to the Pico discussion.

#872 6 years ago

B134 images were released a year ago (1-2-17). Any new animations planned for 2018? Would be nice to see something new...

#873 6 years ago

Damn, wish I could afford one.

#874 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

Build one. Takes some time to get the parts, but much cheaper than paying someone to do it for you!

#875 6 years ago
    Quoted from mrossman5:

I may have an extra one if interested.

#876 6 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

I may have an extra one if interested.

Really?

Quoted from jyeakley:

Build one. Takes some time to get the parts, but much cheaper than paying someone to do it for you!

How much do you think?

#877 6 years ago

I just got my clock put together and on the wall. I love it! Thanks for offering this service.

My only issue is that when putting the displays on purple there are white dots in the mix.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdeV3mvlfqJ/

#878 6 years ago

It would be nice if the firmware would allow multiple wakeup and sleep times, so you could turn it on/off say 2 or 3 times a day instead of just once.

2 months later
    #879 6 years ago

Just a pic ...

22-03-15- 005 (resized).JPG22-03-15- 005 (resized).JPG

22-03-15- 013 (resized).JPG22-03-15- 013 (resized).JPG

#880 6 years ago
    Quoted from TomDK:

Just a pic ...

Cute cat

#881 6 years ago
    Quoted from Owlnonymous:

I just got my clock put together and on the wall. I love it! Thanks for offering this service.
    My only issue is that when putting the displays on purple there are white dots in the mix.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BdeV3mvlfqJ/

I brought this to their attention over 6 months ago. I believe that it probably has something to do with a hardware change to the panels, but I never heard back from linus or torbjorn on the matter

1 week later
    #882 6 years ago

So are the animation updates for this thing officially dead? It's been 15 months since anything has been updated and uploaded to the site. Is there a way to pass the torch onto someone that can grab animations from DMD games and continue on with creating new .imgc files?

#883 6 years ago

Yeah it looks like everyone has given up on this...

linus/torbjorn look to have passed off the website to someone else (links are broken, firmware has received no updates, facebook page removed, etc)
    _j_m has stopped producing the kits (though he is still my hero for doing this in the first place!)

That said, I think we should start an underground movement to get the animations running on generic hardware (something like: http://goo.gl/7f4Vkn) so we can keep this project moving! The image file is simply a RAW data file with I'm guessing some assembly language telling it where to start playing from. Should be fairly straight forward to do this on our own.

3 weeks later
    #884 5 years ago

I've had my clock for about 6 months if freezes up sometimes or has scrambled animations does anybody know of a fix for this problem ?

#885 5 years ago

I'm making a frame for stern dmds. Does anyone know if the dmd and run dmd boards generate much heat? I suppose I can easily add vent holes. If mine turns out well I'll post and see if anyone wants me to make them one.

Planning on modelling my design and having it 3d printed. I'm going to experiment with gray and clear poly. If the clear looks bad I may black out the non display areas.

I may be asking if anyone can provide me with a file containing dmd animations (only for games I own...of course)

#886 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_whore:

I've had my clock for about 6 months if freezes up sometimes or has scrambled animations does anybody know of a fix for this problem ?

sounds like your SD card may be corrupt. reflash it with a new image using HDD rawcopy

last image file (B134) can be found here:
    https://rundmdimage.wordpress.com/2017/01/02/run-dmd-image-b134/

#887 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

So are the animation updates for this thing officially dead? It's been 15 months since anything has been updated and uploaded to the site. Is there a way to pass the torch onto someone that can grab animations from DMD games and continue on with creating new .imgc files?

Are you missing any particular games? Let me know if we've missed anything.

Quoted from lurch:

Yeah it looks like everyone has given up on this...
    linus/torbjorn look to have passed off the website to someone else (links are broken, firmware has received no updates, facebook page removed, etc)
    _j_m has stopped producing the kits (though he is still my hero for doing this in the first place!)
    That said, I think we should start an underground movement to get the animations running on generic hardware (something like: http://goo.gl/7f4Vkn) so we can keep this project moving! The image file is simply a RAW data file with I'm guessing some assembly language telling it where to start playing from. Should be fairly straight forward to do this on our own.

We're still here. I'm currently moving the shop to a self hosted alternative instead of Tictail which we used earler. Biggest problem was that Tictail ran some kind of sales giving away discount codes that I did not approve, so this is a way of having everything at one place (shop, blog, FAQ etc).

I think the firmware/animation updates has been fading away since there's not much issues reported left to fix, and almost all games are now available in the image. I also think Torbjörn has his hands full with his regular work, and that could also be why firmware/product updates has been stalled.

The reason why the Facebook page was removed was that I needed a personal break from Facebook. I created a "fake name" account just to manage the Run-DMD Facebook page, but then someone reported that account (joined two groups and had no friends linked to it) so it got deleted instantly.

I'm still here, and will answer if you send me an e-mail, so the Run-DMD is not abandoned.
    Both Edge, White and Pinball is in stock, and can be sold through e-mail until the new website is released!

#888 5 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

I don't have a list of what games are included in the images, but I can't imagine there are animations from every Williams, Bally, DE, Sega, Stern game from 1991 to 2016 in there.

Champion Pub?
    Godzilla?
    Jurrasic Park?
    Harley Davidson?
    Lost in Space?

Thanks for still being here and not abandoning the clock.

#889 5 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

We're still here. I'm currently moving the shop to a self hosted alternative instead of Tictail which we used earler. Biggest problem was that Tictail ran some kind of sales giving away discount codes that I did not approve, so this is a way of having everything at one place (shop, blog, FAQ etc).
    I think the firmware/animation updates has been fading away since there's not much issues reported left to fix, and almost all games are now available in the image. I also think Torbjörn has his hands full with his regular work, and that could also be why firmware/product updates has been stalled.
    The reason why the Facebook page was removed was that I needed a personal break from Facebook. I created a "fake name" account just to manage the Run-DMD Facebook page, but then someone reported that account (joined two groups and had no friends linked to it) so it got deleted instantly.
    I'm still here, and will answer if you send me an e-mail, so the Run-DMD is not abandoned.
    Both Edge, White and Pinball is in stock, and can be sold through e-mail until the new website is released!

Awesome Limpan! Glad you guys aren't gone.

Here's a few pins I hope you guys add soon. All have great animations!

WWF Royal Rumble
    The Simpsons Pinball Party
    Super Mario Bros.
    Super Mario Mushroom World

#890 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

I don't have a list of what games are included in the images, but I can't imagine there are animations from every Williams, Bally, DE, Sega, Stern game from 1991 to 2016 in there.
    Champion Pub?
    Godzilla?
    Jurrasic Park?
    Harley Davidson?
    Lost in Space?

All of those are in it.

#891 5 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

Champion Pub?
    Godzilla?
    Jurrasic Park?
    Harley Davidson?
    Lost in Space?

There's a TON of animations in there. I've had gatherings with the clock on for hours and the same animation never repeated. Really the coolest thing ever.

#892 5 years ago

Ive never seen Gilligans Island or Totan.

Quoted from pinballinreno:

All of those are in it.

Have to say Ive never seen Godzilla.

Quoted from Limpan:I'm still here, and will answer if you send me an e-mail, so the Run-DMD is not abandoned.

Thank You. IT IS an incredibly the Best Clock Ever!

#893 5 years ago

Thanks jm

#894 5 years ago

Oh man, please no. Mine shows so much wrestling now that I assumed both WWF and WWE are already there. Is it really just WWE currently?

#895 5 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Oh man, please no. Mine shows so much wrestling now that I assumed both WWF and WWE are already there. Is it really just WWE right now?

Agreed! I also get a ton of Ghostbusters.

#896 5 years ago

Yeah, I see a lot of Ghostbusters too.

#897 5 years ago

I still love my Run-DMD. Mine has been running 24/7 for more than 2 and a half years.

#898 5 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Oh man, please no. Mine shows so much wrestling now that I assumed both WWF and WWE are already there. Is it really just WWE currently?

It's just Wrestlemania right now but you can turn off any pins you don't want to see in the settings

#899 5 years ago

I spent hours taking out the animations I didn't want to see

#900 5 years ago
    Quoted from Puffdanny:

I spent hours taking out the animations I didn't want to see

How do you do that?

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released/page/18?hl=puffdanny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.