(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    PacDotsmall (resized).jpg
    LEDarcade2 (resized).jpg
    1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    52978E50-7D5F-4414-B1A7-D67B2D69D694 (resized).jpeg
    Run dmc (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0074 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3959 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210925_171305935.MP (resized).jpg
    HUB08 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD (resized).JPG
    669C1ED9-72C7-47F8-889A-E8731D50942E.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 33.
    #751 7 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

mamemaster:
    what are you seeing when you put in the newly re-imaged sd card? you may have to reset the display configuration by holding down button no. 3 while powering up the clock. continue to hold it down until the display types start to rotate one-by-one and then choose (and lock in) the correct one by pressing button no. 4
    if you miss it the first time around, just wait about 20 seconds and they will start to rotate around again

Nope. I just get rows of blinking lights with the new image. I reinstalled 130 and it went back to normal. I wasn't able to get the new image to work unfortunately.

#752 7 years ago
    Quoted from mamemaster:

Nope. I just get rows of blinking lights with the new image. I reinstalled 130 and it went back to normal. I wasn't able to get the new image to work unfortunately.

I get that with each new update now. You have to hold down button 3 when plugging in the power then let go when the clock powers up. Then wait for the proper image display to come up then press button 4 to select.

#753 7 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

I get that with each new update now. You have to hold down button 3 when plugging in the power then let go when the clock powers up. Then wait for the proper image display to come up then press button 4 to select.

I'm guessing that the reason for this (for all of you with the original HUB08 displays) is that Torbjorn is creating the image using the newer HUB75 displays. since all of the settings are saved to the sd card, when you re-image the sd card, its setting it back to HUB75 and not identified by the older clocks, hence having to go through determining the display type [again]

#754 7 years ago

I appreciate the advice- I'll give this a shot! Thanks.

#755 7 years ago

I totally forgot about these

Soon as I have my house renovation complete and I unbox my pins I'm going to need to sort myself out one of these for the game room. Probably just have animations from the games I own plus a few favourites added into the mix for fun.

Is there a full list of what animations are available currently? There has been some substantial updates since I last checked in on this thread, great work guys!

#756 7 years ago

I updated the images for my clock for the first time this weekend. Scared the crap out of me when there was just a line on the display. Held the third button and man was I relieved.

#757 7 years ago
    Quoted from mamemaster:

I appreciate the advice- I'll give this a shot! Thanks.

Nope. No luck. I tried that button/power "trick" in the past and it worked- still failing. This is a RUNDMD built by J-M about a year or so ago. I wonder if the board isn't compatible?

#758 7 years ago

I don't know, but I got a clock from j_m_ last Christmas and I just updated it successfully so thinking the boards are ok. Per a post above, I had to hold down the third button (from the left) when I plugged it in which is next to the power button, not the power button. At first my screen came up as just a line, then somehow it was upside down, so I also thought for sure I'd broken it But after it cycled modes I hit the fourth button to "select" it and all is well again. Maybe try reformatting the card and downloading a fresh file?

#759 7 years ago

I'm having the same issues as mamemaster. Have not been able to update since 2 or 3 versions ago. Can someone burn a new update with HUB08 displays set as the default?

#760 7 years ago
    Quoted from mamemaster:

Nope. No luck. I tried that button/power "trick" in the past and it worked- still failing. This is a RUNDMD built by J-M about a year or so ago. I wonder if the board isn't compatible?

mamemaster:
    are you sure that you're pressing button no. 3, and not button no. 2? on most of my clocks (except the initial batch where the buttons were only accessible through a hole cut in the rear panel of the acrylic frame), the pc board was inverted so that the buttons could be easily accessed from the bottom side of the clock since most people were hanging them on walls

also, you have to make sure that you're pressing *and* holding button 3 when you power the clock on. I usually unplug the brick, press and hold button 3 and then, while still holding button 3 in, connect the wall cable to the brick to turn the clock on. after about 1-2 seconds the multiple horizontal lines should vanish and the clock will start cycling between the various configurations

for most clock (regardless of the display panel type), configuration 'C' is probably the one that you want

edit:
    on the older boards, the buttons are not labeled 1-4, but rather 'menu' [1], '-' [2],'+' [3] and 'ok' [4]
    I've listed the number translations in brackets
    run-dmd board (resized).pngrun-dmd board (resized).png

as shown by the image above, the button that you want to press (and hold on power up) is the one labeled '+', or the one that is 3rd away from the sd card slot. based on the way that the clocks were assembled, this means that it would be the 2nd button (from the left) when the clock is viewed from the front, based on the way that the board is mounted on the rear panel

once you've set and locked in the correct display type (pressing button no. 4 once the correct display is shown), you can then access the 'TOOLS' menu option (the last [top level] option when scrolling to the right), then select the 'BUTTONS' sub-menu and finally 'REVERSE' (using the buttons 2 and 3) and then SAVE to flip the buttons around from 1,2,3,4 to 4,3,2,1 so that the orientation is correct based on how the boards are mounted

#761 7 years ago

Thanks J_M- I "think" I'm pressing 3 as I've done this before- but I can try again. I'm guessing it's operator error (me!)- thank you for the time you took to spell this out!

As an aside, my board is one of your clocks that's accessible from the hole. The buttons can be reached on top- and the SD card is on the right side when looking down at the buttons from the top.

#762 7 years ago

I always hold down the second button in from the side and if that does not work, I try again with the "other" second button in.

#763 7 years ago

Is anyone selling complete LED kits at this point? I received the awesome PAC MAN clock for Christmas this year, and was really hoping to pick up a Pin clock...

https://www.amazon.com/PAC-MAN-Premium-LED-Desk-Clock/dp/B0161ZWIIO

#764 7 years ago
    Quoted from ignusfast:

Is anyone selling complete LED kits at this point? I received the awesome PAC MAN clock for Christmas this year, and was really hoping to pick up a Pin clock...
    amazon.com link »

I'll be running another batch probably in february. it takes some time to source all of the components and I'm not putting together a reservation list any more (too much hassle with people "disappearing" after claiming to want a clock

#765 7 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I'll be running another batch probably in february. it takes some time to source all of the components and I'm not putting together a reservation list any more (too much hassle with people "disappearing" after claiming to want a clock

Two thumbs up for J_Ms clocks!!

#766 7 years ago

I've made a color cycling circuit for the HUB75 displays with an Arduino and a relay module. The Arduino code switches relays to connected to the R, G and B outputs from the Run-DMD. It cycles through the 7 available colors and repeats. There is probably a more elegant way to do this, perhaps in the firmware itself in a future update.

#767 7 years ago

Still can't update to the latest version. Last update that is working is 3.06. I have tried every update since and all I get is random lines. I've plugged in the power holding the 3rd button and nothing but lines. I've tried plugging it in with each button pressed and same results. I've burned the image to multiple 2gb sd cards using multiple computers. Was able to update prior my current version a couple of times with no issues over six months ago. I have the expansion board and tried with those buttons also.

I believe my board must be defective.

#768 7 years ago
    Quoted from marspinball:

Still can't update to the latest version. Last update that is working is 3.06. I have tried every update since and all I get is random lines. I've plugged in the power holding the 3rd button and nothing but lines. I've tried plugging it in with each button pressed and same results. I've burned the image to multiple 2gb sd cards using multiple computers. Was able to update prior my current version a couple of times with no issues over six months ago. I have the expansion board and tried with those buttons also.
    I believe my board must be defective.

what version of the firmware is on your run-dmd board? I believe that if you have a clock from one of the initial runs, you will need to update the firmware in order to use a newer SD card image

I have extra pic chips that I can flash with the latest firmware (v3.51) and sell for $10 plus shipping. pm me if you're interested.

you'll need to disassemble the clock, remove and replace the pic chip and then you can use an SD card with the most current image file

#769 7 years ago

Ok- for me it was total operator error. My mistake- is that I unplugged the power from the board itself- and was holding the button when I plugged it in.

For some reason that does not work at all.

I finally took the clock off my wall- and physically plugging it into the outlet- when pressing/holding the button. After about 15 seconds- it went through the screens saying to "press D" when I was happy w/the image.

It does indeed work perfectly fine.

For those having trouble- plug it into an outlet when doing this.

After many failed attempts- that's what needed to happen for some odd reason.

Good luck! - and thanks to those reminding me of the proper procedure!

The new animations are sweet!

#770 7 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

what version of the firmware is on your run-dmd board? I believe that if you have a clock from one of the initial runs, you will need to update the firmware in order to use a newer SD card image
    I have extra pic chips that I can flash with the latest firmware (v3.51) and sell for $10 plus shipping. pm me if you're interested.
    you'll need to disassemble the clock, remove and replace the pic chip and then you can use an SD card with the most current image file

Not sure what version I have but it's about year old. I have never heard that the firmware had to be updated to run the current version of the animations. Is there a way to check the firmware version?

#771 7 years ago

The firmware version is displayed when you first turn it on

#772 7 years ago

marspinball, try setting the Run-DMD in single color mode (red) before running DMD detect (button 3 pressed while power cycling)

#773 7 years ago
    Quoted from tqln:

marspinball, try setting the Run-DMD in single color mode (red) before running DMD detect (button 3 pressed while power cycling)

Im having some trouble regarding the remote control.
    It seems weak and rarely works, battery is new and I have moved the antenna wire around a bit, works great 2 inches away from the the little remote board.

Also is it possible to get the remote and temperature probe installed and working at the same time?

What port and what board does the temp sensor plug in to?

#774 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

Im having some trouble regarding the remote control.
    It seems weak and rarely works, battery is new and I have moved the antenna wire around a bit, works great 2 inches away from the the little remote board.
    Also is it possible to get the remote and temperature working at the same time?

Could be a faulty remote. Send me a pm together with your order number from the webshop and I'll have new remote sent out!

Edit: Oh, and regarding the temperature sensor, Torbjörn wrote the following:
    These are digital DS18B20 sensors that has been calibrated when manufactured, they display the temperature with an accuracy of +-0.5C (usually +-0.1C when checked), so a calibration settings would only make the Run-DMD display an incorrect temperature. Could you double check the temperature with another device?

#775 7 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

Could be a faulty remote. Send me a pm together with your order number from the webshop and I'll have new remote sent out!
    Edit: Oh, and regarding the temperature sensor, Torbjörn wrote the following:
    These are digital DS18B20 sensors that has been calibrated when manufactured, they display the temperature with an accuracy of +-0.5C (usually +-0.1C when checked), so a calibration settings would only make the Run-DMD display an incorrect temperature. Could you double check the temperature with another device?

Question:
    What port/socket do I plug the temperature sensor module into, it doesnt seem to line up with anything?

installation Pics? or a link to a picture of it installed?

I have an edge unit as well as the exp add-on board with the remote sensor plugged into the side port.

On the remote:
    I'll see if a fresh battery does the trick and let you know if it seems defective.

#776 7 years ago

My Instructions:
    When updating, hold button 3 while plugging the clock in (and keep holding it). You might get some random lines but eventually you'll see the display come up with an image but it will probably be wrong. Let go of button 3. It'll show random inverse and reversed images until it finds the one that is right for your display. Hit the 4 button when it's right. If you miss it, wait for it to cycle around again.

#777 7 years ago

Really loving my Run-DMD - coolest clock I own!

#778 7 years ago

How do I change the color from purple?

#779 7 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

How do I change the color from purple?

Taken from this post by j_m_

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-assembled-clocks-batch-4/page/5#post-3298524

All clocks have been set in purple mode (RED-on, GREEN-off, BLUE-on). the switch bank contains 6 switches, 3 each (RGB) for the top half of the displays, and an additional 3 for the bottom half. feel free to change the colors to the one that you prefer ...

red = on,off,off,on,off,off
    green = off,on,off,off,on,off
    blue = off,off,on,off,off,on
    yellow = on,on,off,on,on,off
    purple = on,off,on,on,off,on
    teal = off,on,on,off,on,on
    white = on,on,on,on,on,on

#780 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Taken from this post by j_m_
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-assembled-clocks-batch-4/page/5#post-3298524
    All clocks have been set in purple mode (RED-on, GREEN-off, BLUE-on). the switch bank contains 6 switches, 3 each (RGB) for the top half of the displays, and an additional 3 for the bottom half. feel free to change the colors to the one that you prefer ...
    red = on,off,off,on,off,off
    green = off,on,off,off,on,off
    blue = off,off,on,off,off,on
    yellow = on,on,off,on,on,off
    purple = on,off,on,on,off,on
    teal = off,on,on,off,on,on
    white = on,on,on,on,on,on

Thanks buddy, so many pages I looked at a few and kinda gave up as I was leaving my office. Thanks brian

#781 7 years ago
    Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

Geez, there must be a problem. The clock shows the time as 18:18. Twelve is as high as the hours go. WTF?

Wow!

#782 7 years ago

I guess that he's never heard of military time

1 week later
    #783 7 years ago

A little bird whispered in my ear that a "bug fixed" version was released for those that encountered problems with the last few images files.

Let us know if you have had previous problems with the last few releases and if the new image file works better: http://rundmdimage.wordpress.com

#784 7 years ago

Your little bird is right!!
    With this fixed version, it works like a champ, thx Linus!

#785 7 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

A little bird whispered in my ear that a "bug fixed" version was released for those that encountered problems with the last few images files.
    Let us know if you have had previous problems with the last few releases and if the new image file works better: http://rundmdimage.wordpress.com

Awesome! I never had the "startup problem" - although I am running an RGB board, but I did notice on the latest version that it just came on when I inserted the SD card after update. I no longer had to hold button 3 and select the display type. Not sure if this was part of the bug fix, but I loved not having to do the additional steps! Thanks Limpan

#786 7 years ago

Yea.. That new image works like a charm. The last one locked me up real good.

#787 7 years ago

Hi, just a quick poll to know where (or even if) I am going with this.
    What if this was readily to order as a kit?

RunDMD_v2 (resized).pngRunDMD_v2 (resized).png

Which kit would you prefer and what would you pay for it?
    Or would you in fact not be interested at all?

a) A fully assembled RUN-DMD white HUB75 (approx 70x20x5 cm), without animations. Ready to go.
    b) A complete kit with mounting instructions, but without the Run-DMD White board.
    c) A complete frame-kit with mounting instructions, but without any electronics.
    d) Only the precision laser cut acrylic back and front of the frame.

Cheers
    //mima

#788 7 years ago
    Quoted from mima:

I've been offering these for the past 2+ years now

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-assembled-clocks-batch-5

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-frame-v50-assembly-instructions

#789 7 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I've been offering these for the past 2+ years now

Cool. Then I know that there should be a market for my design.

#790 7 years ago
    Quoted from mima:

» YouTube video
    Which kit would you prefer and what would you pay for it?
    Or would you in fact not be interested at all?
    a) A fully assembled RUN-DMD white HUB75 (approx 70x20x5 cm), without animations. Ready to go.
    b) A complete kit with mounting instructions, but without the Run-DMD White board.
    c) A complete frame-kit with mounting instructions, but without any electronics.
    d) Only the precision laser cut acrylic back and front of the frame.
    Cheers
    //mima

If you are you asking if a rip-off of someone else's hard work is a viable business opportunity for you?

I would say, no. Get one from the original guy who did all the hard work and kindly let us all know how to build one, if possible.

If its something else then I say go for it.

#791 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

If you are you asking if a rip-off of someone else's hard work is a viable business opportunity for you?

I have no intention of starting a flame war here. But I can't let your statement stay uncommented.

On the topic of original work, my frame is an original design for the Run-Dmd whitebHub75. As it is my update of my old frame that I made for the original Run-Dmd board (that is now discontinued). The board that I bought directly from Torbjörn late 2014 or early 2015. As I wanted to update my RunDmd I made a new design based on my old frame from back in the days. I was merely checking if there's a interest for that here in Sweden or Europe. I don't see it as a business opportunity, I already have a real job that pays real money. This is a project on the side that I figured might interest some.

It's great that jm provides the community with his frames, I see no point in sending clocks and frames over seas. The shipping and customs duty would be hilarious. I am sorry, but I can't see my original design for the run-dmd white hub75 as neither a threat for some sort of reserved market of jm nore a rip-off of jms work, as it is just a modernisation, adaption and update of my RunDmd original that I had framed in 2014/15.

Cheers
    /mima

#792 7 years ago

competition breeds innovation

if mima wants to help in supplying kits/clocks to everyone on that side of the globe, I say go for it! it could end up being a lot cheaper than what I can offer it for and people would be crazy not to explore another option

the batch (no. 6), that I just created a new topic for, will probably be the last one that I do for quite some time

for one thing, it's a lot of effort to source all of the different components, perform the QA/QC on the procured parts (even though they should work from the get-go, calculate shipping costs, box up everything so that the items are well protected and mail them off

but more importantly, there are some other [pinball related] projects that I want to focus my attention on this year

#793 7 years ago

Hi,

I scanned through this thread and some others and I seem to be missing it. But, I'm looking for the "newer" plans for the Run-DMD Edge so I can send them off to get the plexi cut. I'm looking for the front and back as separate files so I an do the see-through front and sold black back.

If anyone can link me to the plans or PM I'd appreciate it!

#794 7 years ago

I haven't released .svg files in quite a while because the panels were constantly changing. I think that the ones on run-dmd.com were still for the original run-dmd pc board given the cut-outs on the rear panel

in order for me to release a newer set of files, I would need to know which panels you're using and the dimensions of them (center of the lugs/holes for both the vertical and horizontal of each LED panel (in millimeters) as well as distance (center to center of the lugs/holes) between the closer lugs/holes of the 2 panels side-by-side

#795 7 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I haven't released .svg files in quite a while because the panels were constantly changing. I think that the ones on run-dmd.com were still for the original run-dmd pc board given the cut-outs on the rear panel
    in order for me to release a newer set of files, I would need to know which panels you're using and the dimensions of them (center of the lugs/holes for both the vertical and horizontal of each LED panel (in millimeters) as well as distance (center to center of the lugs/holes) between the closer lugs/holes of the 2 panels side-by-side

Thanks for the reply.

I ordered a couple of panels last week, so they might be here tomorrow or next month. When I get them I can take measurements for you. Assuming you have time to modify your files, it'd be much appreciated!

Not sure if it helps, but these are the panels I purchased:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/A-Indoor-F3-75-P4-75-RG-Dual-color-LED-dot-matrix-module-304-152mm-64/32398344079.html

Another option, might be to release a version of your .svg files that just have the holes for "combining" the two plexi pieces and leaves off the other holes for mounting. That way people could just drill those themselves. Since it's on the back-side a slight imperfection wouldn't be very noticeable. Just a thought.

#796 7 years ago

that link doesn't help since there are no photos of the backside of the panels (not that a thumbnail would be any indication of what you actually end receiving either

if you're going to pay to have the panels laser cut, it doesn't make any sense to leave out the holes for mounting the panels since:
    1) it takes a while to drill them
    2) if you're not careful, the drill bit can bite and crack or break the acrylic panel
    3) unless you're using a drill press, you not be able to drill all of the holes symmetrically. when the panels are mounted, they will not line up correctly and the result will look not as nice as it could

it's easy enough to modify my existing template in illustrator by doing the following:
    - create a [temporary] box object the size of the hole pattern (height x width in millimeters, based on [on-center] hole/stud measurements)
    - move/align the box object in the correct relative position
    - unlock, and then move the holes to intersect the corners of the rectangle
    - move the rectangle and repeat the above 2 steps for the 2nd panel position
    - delete the rectangle object
    - group and lock the positions of the newly moved holes
    - re-save the file

the entire process takes less than 10 mins
    clock panel (resized).jpgclock panel (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #797 7 years ago

Hey guys... quick question.

I turned on my Run-DMD clock and I am not seeing "animations" in the menu selection and I am not getting any animations to run... only the time. Is there a step to the set-up that I'm missing?

#798 7 years ago

You installed the image file...?

#799 7 years ago

It came with the image file on the SD card, but I could have reformatted it in the Run-DMD. I was getting the lines across the front of the panel so I hit a few buttons before I read how to reboot it (hold button while plugging in power).

#800 7 years ago

Got it to work. I must have corrupted the SD card. I re-flashed the card and the animations are working.

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released/page/16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.