(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    PacDotsmall (resized).jpg
    LEDarcade2 (resized).jpg
    1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    52978E50-7D5F-4414-B1A7-D67B2D69D694 (resized).jpeg
    Run dmc (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0074 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3959 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210925_171305935.MP (resized).jpg
    HUB08 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD (resized).JPG
    669C1ED9-72C7-47F8-889A-E8731D50942E.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 33.
    #651 7 years ago

Say hello to Run-DMD PINBALL - A smaller Run-DMD, 10 x 5 cm, for use only with pinball DMD:s (Stern LED & XPIN LED DMD:s), so it does not have support for HUB08/HUB75 panels like Run-DMD CLASSIC/EDGE. Run-DMD PINBALL will be available in the webshop next week!

0Wn.md_(resized).jpg0Wn.md_(resized).jpg

#652 7 years ago

limpan:
    I noticed a few things on the new board and have a few questions. it appears that Torbjorn has changed the package for the picchip from a dip to a surface mount, meaning that you will need to update it via the ICSP port
    however, it looks like the ICSP port doesn't even contain the header to attach the pins
    (is the image of an uncompleted prototype board?

I also do not understand why pinball connector is positioned 90° off of the board vs. how the EXP ONE connector is attached. again, maybe this isn't the final design.

I like that both of the power terminals has been moved to where they no longer will cause any cables to stick outside of the side of the clock frames (I can add an additional cut-out to the rear panel to route the power cable out the back side

#653 7 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

Say hello to Run-DMD PINBALL - A smaller Run-DMD, 10 x 5 cm, for use only with pinball DMD:s (Stern LED & XPIN LED DMD:s), so it does not have support for HUB08/HUB75 panels like Run-DMD CLASSIC/EDGE. Run-DMD PINBALL will be available in the webshop next week!

Will there be restocks of Run-DMD classic and EXP ONE?

#654 7 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

limpan:
    I noticed a few things on the new board and have a few questions. it appears that Torbjorn has changed the package for the picchip from a dip to a surface mount, meaning that you will need to update it via the ICSP port
    however, it looks like the ICSP port doesn't even contain the header to attach the pins
    (is the image of an uncompleted prototype board?
    I also do not understand why pinball connector is positioned 90° off of the board vs. how the EXP ONE connector is attached. again, maybe this isn't the final design.
    I like that both of the power terminals has been moved to where they no longer will cause any cables to stick outside of the side of the clock frames (I can add an additional cut-out to the rear panel to route the power cable out the back side

Yes, all new Run-DMD:s has surface mounted components, so firmware updates goes through the ICSP port from now on. I don't know if this is the final design (I have not seen it in person yet), but the EXP ONE does not have a header for the pins either, and can be updated with the regular ICSP cable pins without any problems, but I'll check next week when I get them. It could be that it's not the final product that's on the picture. I'll keep you updated!

Quoted from metahugh:

Will there be restocks of Run-DMD classic and EXP ONE?

Yes, new Classic is coming on Monday, and hopefully more EXP ONE:s as well. I've opened up pre-order on both the Classic and EXP ONE. And orders will be sent out as soon as I get more units in stock!

#655 7 years ago

Anyone try installing B130? All I get is a full on display with a faint clock in the background. I tried brightness settings but it doesn't change anything. Reverted back to B129 for now.

#656 7 years ago

I had the same issue at first with B130.
    To get it to work correctly I had to follow these instructions:

4. If it does not work after the SD-card upgrade, hold down button 3 on the Run-DMD while you plug it in to the wall socket. Release the button when the LED stays lit.

5. The Run-DMD will now cycle through a test image with different settings for the different HUB08 DMD:s. When you see the correct test image, press button 4 to save the settings.

For me there were two settings that looked good on my clock. For whatever reason I could only get the 2 version in the cycle that looked good to 'set' for me when I pressed button 4.

#657 7 years ago

Ok. I have a feeling a different flag is set in the boot up sequence where he was probably testing with a different display. I'd imagine the next update you might have to do this again to get it back to the original display setting. Thanks. I'll try again.

EDIT: Thanks jletourn, that did the trick.

#658 7 years ago

Got my panels today so I'm up and running!! I'm thinking I'm going to build an oak frame with a rabbeted opening to set a the panels in with a piece of smoked glass in front of them.

Does anyone else have the temp sensor? Mine is reading about 10 degrees F too high which is quite a bit to be off so I was wondering if there is a way to calibrate it?

#659 7 years ago

I figured out the temp reading... I had plugged the sensor board into the run-dmd the right way but didn't notice that the sensor boards connector is smaller than the expansion port so i was plugged in offset by a pin.

Centered it up and temp is spot on now, thank goodness no damage was done.

#660 7 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

for anyone located here in the states, I can offer pic chips with the latest firmware. the price is $12 shipped. if you send me your old pic chip back, I will credit you $5

Got my chip in the mail and installed it today. Super easy, updating the SD card took more time. 3.48 is a big improvement over 3.3. Thank you for making this upgrade available and for the bargain basement price. Amazing.

1 week later
    #661 7 years ago

Want to keep track of your beer temperature? We have a solution!

008.md_(resized).jpg008.md_(resized).jpg

#662 7 years ago

you reside in stockholm and are drinking budweiser? linus, your man card is hereby revoked!

#663 7 years ago

Exactly. It doesn't matter how cold it is. The proper way to drink a bud is to open the bottle and pour it down the drain then get a good beer and drink it.

#664 7 years ago

maybe he'll "upgrade" to a bud lime (I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit just typing that)

#665 7 years ago

Discovering IPA's.....good by Bud!!!

#666 7 years ago

Is there a place for features we want to see?

I would like to enter the date, and have the clock automatically adjust for Daylight Savings Time.

Otherwise, a system to Autoset the time (Atomic Clock)

#667 7 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

Yes, all new Run-DMD:s has surface mounted components, so firmware updates goes through the ICSP port from now on. I don't know if this is the final design (I have not seen it in person yet), but the EXP ONE does not have a header for the pins either, and can be updated with the regular ICSP cable pins without any problems, but I'll check next week when I get them. It could be that it's not the final product that's on the picture. I'll keep you updated!

Yes, new Classic is coming on Monday, and hopefully more EXP ONE:s as well. I've opened up pre-order on both the Classic and EXP ONE. And orders will be sent out as soon as I get more units in stock!

I picked up my order from the post office today! Thanks for the quick shipping!

#668 7 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

you reside in stockholm and are drinking budweiser? linus, your man card is hereby revoked!

Haha, no, I'm actually more into stouts and IPA, and not that interested in lager beer.

#669 7 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

Haha, no, I'm actually more into stouts and IPA, and not that interested in lager beer.

Calling it a beer is an insult to beer...

It's really just beer flavored water...

#670 7 years ago
    Quoted from Jazman:

Calling it a beer is an insult to beer...
    It's really just beer flavored water...

Now you're insulting water

#671 7 years ago

Just updated the SD card to the new image. I can see the clock and images but the display is very bright like a reverse image. I burned the image multiple times using two computers and getting the same result. I'm using the original SD card. Also when I turn off the clock (with remote) it comes back on.

I read the post above about holding button three till it selects the right display type but that is not working either.

I am using the buttons on the expansion board.

Which buttons are 3 and 4. I've tried a number of combinations but not working. I think I may be using the wrong buttons.

#672 7 years ago
    Quoted from marspinball:

Which buttons are 3 and 4. I've tried a number of combinations but not working. I think I may be using the wrong buttons.

Just hold down button 3 when adding power the the board, then release it. The Run-DMD will now start to cycle through the different HUB settings, and when you see the text display correct, press button 4 once to save the settings.

Buttons:
    C: 1
    A: 2
    B: 3
    D: 4

249536-08fb20ccd0cc4e9491a42e49d21a0623_(resized).png249536-08fb20ccd0cc4e9491a42e49d21a0623_(resized).png

#673 7 years ago

Almost finished with attempt 1 at my runDMD clock frame. My thought was to add some traditional style to it by building the frame from oak and usinf joinery similar to Bally cabinets.

Not sure yet if I will be able to squeeze in the runDMD board with a back on it yet, may need to remake about a quarter to half inch deeper.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#674 7 years ago

I have seen a couple with wood frames and I like them better. Nice job.

#675 7 years ago

I guess I don't understand the attraction of the temperature? Do you guys have pinball machines outside? If I was going to have an external probe it would be a motion sensor to turn the clock on while people are in the room and let it shut off after say 15 minutes of no motion.

#676 7 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

Almost finished with attempt 1 at my runDMD clock frame. My thought was to add some traditional style to it by building the frame from oak and usinf joinery similar to Bally cabinets.
    Not sure yet if I will be able to squeeze in the runDMD board with a back on it yet, may need to remake about a quarter to half inch deeper.

damn its hot in your shop

#677 7 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I guess I don't understand the attraction of the temperature? Do you guys have pinball machines outside? If I was going to have an external probe it would be a motion sensor to turn the clock on while people are in the room and let it shut off after say 15 minutes of no motion.

I love the motion sensor idea. I think the temperature was more for the game room fridge than for the outside temp.

#678 7 years ago

Thanks! On the temp I was planning to use the temp for the outside temp as a kind of a Aren't you glad your indoors playing pinball deal. Unfortunately the probe consistantly reads aout 5 degrees too warm so I probabl won't use it, maybe its intended only for cooler temps like the mentioned fridge.

Lol, yeah pretty warm but actually felt good after the last week. We had several days hiting 110.

#679 7 years ago

Beer fridge temp and outside temp. Okay makes sense now! Thanks.

#680 7 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

I think this looks awesome, great job! I would like to do something similar with mine when I get to this project someday.

#681 7 years ago

Firmware 3.51 is now available for download. The new firmware comes with a new clock style called “CM–5″, made to copy the pattern of the Connection Machine CM–5, running in ”mode #7″. CM-5 was featured in the Jurassic Park movie!

More information available over at: http://blog.run-dmd.com/firmware-3-51/

#682 7 years ago

Neat! But I guess running Pin DMD animations with that orientation probably won't work. Still will have to give it a try.

#683 7 years ago
    Quoted from merccat:

Neat! But I guess running Pin DMD animations with that orientation probably won't work. Still will have to give it a try.

Yeah, that would not look too good, therefore no animations will show when you set the clock in CM-5 mode.

#684 7 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

Yeah, that would not look too good, therefore no animations will show when you set the clock in CM-5 mode.

Thats fine. Once I get mine updated, it might be a good office mode since many dmd animations would get me sent to HR... Might have to get myself a second RunDMD now.

#685 7 years ago

Good use for any panel that has "ghosting" problems...

#686 7 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Good use for any panel that has "ghosting" problems...

I'm stuck with four panels that have the timing issue. If they are not going to try to fix this in software, I at least wish they would update the suggested parts area on the website, so I don't buy panels that apparently aren't supported again.

#687 7 years ago

Are there some better panels available reasonably? I like the size and price of the suggested panels but they do seem a bit flaky so I wouldn't mind playing more for a more reliable version. There is almost always one cell that has a column with one color out, but its not all that consistent.

#688 7 years ago

what are the biggest panel which we could us? Link?

#689 7 years ago

I picked my clock up today. I love it! Thanks Dan. It was nice to meet you and play some of the games in your great collection.

Resized_20160710_162155_(resized).jpegResized_20160710_162155_(resized).jpeg

#690 7 years ago

any cad files or drawings for a Frame/mounting for this big Displays?

#691 7 years ago
    Quoted from d0n:

I picked my clock up today. I love it! Thanks Dan. It was nice to meet you and play some of the games in your great collection.

Dang nice looking WWE

#692 7 years ago
    Quoted from kapsreiter:

any cad files or drawings for a Frame/mounting for this big Displays

They are saw cut, hand sanded edges, and drilled with a template I created. I priced out laser cut ones but they were $100 per panel. I'm investigating getting them cut via cnc machine.

#693 7 years ago

ok!

do you have some pictures or drawings of the assembly?

#694 7 years ago

I'll share some pictures of the template when I get back to town this weekend.

#695 7 years ago

this thing is GREAT!!!!!

20160710_084559_(resized).jpg20160710_084559_(resized).jpg

20160709_093225_(resized).jpg20160709_093225_(resized).jpg

1 month later
    #696 7 years ago

I can't believe I forgot all about these. Is someone selling the Jumbo one on the previous page?

#697 7 years ago

Is Torbjörn still adding images to the clock? Was hoping he could add some images from the wrestling pins Royal Rumble and or Wrestlemania

And mbob check this out for the big ones
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-jumbo-clocks

#698 7 years ago
    Quoted from phillymadison:

Is Torbjörn still adding images to the clock? Was hoping he could add some images from the wrestling pins Royal Rumble and or Wrestlemania
    And mbob check this out for the big ones
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-jumbo-clocks

Clock does not come with images but they are easy to get and install.

#699 7 years ago

Oh I know I have one. But Torbjorn puts the images on the master file for us to download.

#700 7 years ago
    Quoted from phillymadison:

I'll check regarding Royal Rumble, but the WWF Wrestlemania will probably be harder since it's running the Stern SPIKE system (from what I understand, it's hard to save the animations from those newer games).

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.