(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    PacDotsmall (resized).jpg
    LEDarcade2 (resized).jpg
    1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    52978E50-7D5F-4414-B1A7-D67B2D69D694 (resized).jpeg
    Run dmc (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0074 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3959 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210925_171305935.MP (resized).jpg
    HUB08 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD (resized).JPG
    669C1ED9-72C7-47F8-889A-E8731D50942E.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 33.
    #601 8 years ago
    Quoted from fnosm:

How long do you leave your Run-DMD on? All the time? Only when in viewable area? Any potential damage that could result from leaving it on 24/7?

I have my Run-DMD on from morning to bedtime, and I've heard users here at Pinside that has them on 24/7 without any issues. The HUB08 panels from Aliexpress has the following specs: "LIFESPAN: Over 100,000 Hours (10-11Years)".

#602 8 years ago
    Quoted from fnosm:

How long do you leave your Run-DMD on? All the time? Only when in viewable area? Any potential damage that could result from leaving it on 24/7?

I adjust the settings in mine to turn on at 17:00 (5pm) and run 8 hours until 1am. If I have an event or party, I just disable the on and off settings temporarily.

#603 8 years ago

Mine is always on. It's been running problem free for months.

#604 8 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

I adjust the settings in mine to turn on at 17:00 (5pm) and run 8 hours until 1am. If I have an event or party, I just disable the on and off settings temporarily.

Which setting is this?

#605 8 years ago
    Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Which setting is this?

Sleep Timer --> 8 hours

Wake Up Timer --> 17:00

This turns the clock on at 17:00 (5pm) and lets it run for 8 hours. Typically the day before a party or event, I will go into the settings and set both to DISABLE. This will keep the unit on 24/7.

#606 8 years ago

I have mine connected to a remote plug switch. I walk into my game room press #2 and my clock comes on. Before I leave I just turn it off.

#607 8 years ago

I started a Facebook page to be able to post firmware updates and SD card information quickly. I'll also try to post all the info here in the thread, but if you want to get the latest information the fastest way possible, go ahead and like Run-DMD on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/rundmds

#608 8 years ago

Got the email for the Facebook page today and instantly liked it. Great idea.

#609 8 years ago

When it's all said and done, how much do you have into this, assuming you're building it yourself.

#610 8 years ago

Your best case if you already have some of the parts is about $150. A full clock with the bigger displays, frame and hardware between $300 and $400. You might say $400 for a clock! No way. Oh Yes way. It's amazing.

#611 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_erie:

When it's all said and done, how much do you have into this, assuming you're building it yourself.

if you want to build them yourself, it will run about $260-280 in parts. I've made it perfectly clear on where to purchase just about everything (listed in the 2nd post under the assembly instructions) here:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-frame-v50-assembly-instructions

the biggest headache is that you have to source parts from all over the world. here's a list of the components needed:

the LED display panels (which are no longer available from the link in the run-dmd.com FAQ)
    the original display panel (down to a qty of 1, and the company has stated that no more will be produced)
    http://goo.gl/rRU4Uo

a comparable panel (I've used these before, but cannot guarantee that the design hasn't changed):
    http://goo.gl/hcW3nZ

power supply:
    http://goo.gl/1Gkh5r

run-dmd pc board
    http://run-dmd.com/product/run-dmd-pcb

and finally
    v6 of the acrylic frame panels
    http://run-dmd.com/product/svg-files-for-the-updated-j_m_-frame

#612 8 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

if you want to build them yourself, it will run about $260-280 in parts. I've made it perfectly clear on where to purchase just about everything (listed in the 2nd post under the assembly instructions) here:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-frame-v50-assembly-instructions
    the biggest headache is that you have to source parts from all over the world. here's a list of the components needed:
    the LED display panels (which are no longer available from the link in the run-dmd.com FAQ)
    the original display panel (down to a qty of 1, and the company has stated that no more will be produced)
    http://goo.gl/rRU4Uo
    a comparable panel (I've used these before, but cannot guarantee that the design hasn't changed):
    http://goo.gl/hcW3nZ
    power supply:
    http://goo.gl/1Gkh5r
    run-dmd pc board
    http://run-dmd.com/product/run-dmd-pcb
    and finally
    v6 of the acrylic frame panels
    http://run-dmd.com/product/svg-files-for-the-updated-j_m_-frame

Thanks a lot, I'm going to give it a try.

#613 8 years ago

Here is what it cost me to build it myself.
    Run DMD, Expansion Board & Remote - 198.72
    Foreign Transaction Fee - 5.36
    DMD Panels, Power Supply, Extension Cord - 75.45
    Frame with Expansion Board Hardware - 100.50
    Total - 380.03

1 week later
    #614 8 years ago

Here's a couple of clocks I've built so you can see size perspectives.
    - Top: Dual color larger panel without a frame. It'll look better when I get a frame built and covering the front. I have some ideas that I'll execute on in the following days. It's not as traditional plasma dmd yellow as I'd like. It looks more like a florescent green. If I were buying the panels again I may go with just plain red since it'll save a few bucks.
    - Middle: Dual color medium panels with a j_m_ frame. This is the one that most everyone has seen around.
    - Bottom: Stern LED panel taken from my Metallica when installing a ColorDMD. I'm working on a frame design for that one as well. It's already partially installed.

20160123_132448_(resized).jpg20160123_132448_(resized).jpg

#615 8 years ago

I've figured out how to use HUB75 RGB panels with this. These seem to be much more available, and higher quality than the HUB08 panels. The ones I used are available here:
    http://goo.gl/M0aXGh
    You can wire the R and G output of the Run-DMD to any two of the RGB inputs on the HUB75 panels, giving a choice of 6 colors. (Red, green, blue, yellow, cyan, magenta)
    The HUB75 pinout is different from HUB08, (See diagram-this is looking down at the board, and note the position of the notch) and a converter is needed. I didn't have the materials to build a converter board, so I just inserted 20AWG solid wire into the connectors on the ribbon cable for the displays. (An extra cable will be needed)
    I also found I needed to ground the unused color input for the display panel, as I was getting flickering of the unconnected color.

IMG_0922_(resized).JPGIMG_0922_(resized).JPG

IMG_0920_(resized).JPGIMG_0920_(resized).JPG

IMG_0923_(resized).JPGIMG_0923_(resized).JPG

IMG_0924_(resized).JPGIMG_0924_(resized).JPG

IMG_0925_(resized).JPGIMG_0925_(resized).JPG

IMG_0927_(resized).JPGIMG_0927_(resized).JPG

hubpin_(resized).pnghubpin_(resized).png

#616 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballArcadeAZ:

I've figured out how to use HUB75 RGB panels with this. These seem to be much more available, and higher quality than the HUB08 panels. The ones I used are available here:
    http://goo.gl/M0aXGh

Nice work. Torbjörn is actually working on a converter board to be able to run RGB DMD:s with the Run-DMD, but last thing I heard was that he had some trouble with one of the colors that had some kind of ghosting, but here's how the HUB75 interface board Rev. A looks:

hub75_(resized).pnghub75_(resized).png

#617 8 years ago

Got my big clock partially into a frame. Was hoping with the tint that it would be less green. I have to admit it still looks great even when it's green. I still prefer a real yellow and secondly Red. With the tint it seems actually more green instead. I guess when I do the final assembly in the next couple of days after the last couple of parts arrive I will make it just red... . The backboard is going to have my gameroom logo etched into it at the bottom (currently clear) and it'll be edge lit off the EXP ONE. Should look amazing.

20160127_170929_(resized).jpg20160127_170929_(resized).jpg

#618 8 years ago

What displays and power supplies are you guys using to make those big clocks. They look great.

#620 8 years ago

I've noticed that the RTC at boot time shows the temperature. Any chance of getting the option of adding that periodically displayed? Looks like the hardware is already there.

1 week later
    #621 8 years ago

Can someone PMm the info to get the animation files? must be having a brain cramp as I can't seem to find it.

Thanks in advance

NM, I found the link. Thanks anyways.

1 week later
    #622 8 years ago

EDIT: never mind, I had selected "plasma" instead of LED. This is what you'll see if you've done that accidentally:

12597105_1312095145483497_688168622_o_(resized).jpg12597105_1312095145483497_688168622_o_(resized).jpg
    12752031_1312066792152999_720602167_o_(resized).jpg12752031_1312066792152999_720602167_o_(resized).jpg

#623 8 years ago

I have a feature request. I love the clock, and I love the animations, but not at the same time. I'd like to be able to disable the clock digits while any animation is running.

Has anyone else measured power with the Stern LED-DMD? I'm getting an incredible 1.5-2 watts on my Kill-a-Watt. Which is less than $4 to run it 365/24/7.

#624 8 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I have a feature request. I love the clock, and I love the animations, but not at the same time. I'd like to be able to disable the clock digits while any animation is running.

This has been fixed in the latest firmware that Torbjörn just released. More information about the release is available over at http://blog.run-dmd.com

#625 8 years ago

^^ either he anticipated my request, or that's some super-fast service!

#626 8 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

^^ either he anticipated my request, or that's some super-fast service!

It's probably Torbjörns super-fast service we are talking about here!

#628 8 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

No temperature

The temperature shown in the verboose boot only shows the Run-DMD system temperature, and it does not measure the room temperature. Torbjörn says that if there's more interest in that he could build an expansion PCB called EXP SENSE (with one sensor) that can monitor the room temperature. So, is there anyone else that could be interested in that?

#629 8 years ago

Bug fixed firmware released (same link as the above)

2016-02-20 Fix: Slow animations/menu system using HUB08 DMDs with firmware v3.41

#631 8 years ago

My big clock is done. Looks amazing

20160220_160509_(resized).jpg20160220_160509_(resized).jpg

#632 8 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Both of those are NLA. Would this be a good alternative?:

I think a p10 would require a huge space and you'd have to be pretty far to appreciate it. Regardless it doesn't appear to be the right display standard. The p7s I have are almost too far apart. I'll see if I can find a good large hub08 alternative and post my search results.

#634 8 years ago

Nice work, ddebuss. I'm glad you decided to put the etched sign behind/below the DMD, looks much better. What I love about the big display is how consistent it looks. And cheaper than a Stern DMD!

#635 8 years ago

Firmware 3.45 has just been released, and here's the news:

The Run-DMD firmware 3.45 has a “shop mode” available. Instead of displaying the clock, you can now setup the Run-DMD in your shop window and show your customers if you are open or closed. For example:

Animation shows -> WE ARE OPEN! -> animation shows -> WE ARE OPEN! …

Changes since 3.42:

The new Run-DMD feature ”KEY TEXT” (v3.45) makes it possible to replace the displayed clock with a custom message text. Pressing Run-DMD buttons 2 and 3 will active/deactive the two different key texts available.
    In order for a key text to be displayed it must first be configured in menu “KEY TEXT” -> “KEY 2 TEXT”/”KEY 3 TEXT” (just like feature “custom message”).
    If the key text should be displayed in front of any animations, set menu option “ANIMATIONS” -> “CLOCK OVERLAY” -> “ON”)
    Run-DMD will only display the initial part of the entered “key text” that fits in the DMD area.

Download link is available over at http://run-dmd.com

Torbjörn also said that no new firmware updates are planned in the near future since he is working on the Run-DMD PICO on his spare time at the moment. I have not updated the firmware on the Run-DMD:s I have in stock right now yet, so if you place your order now, please let me know in the comment field that you want the latest firmware just so I don't forget!

1 week later
    #636 8 years ago

Finally did something with my Run-DMD.

I 'upcycled' an old milk crate that's been in the garage for years. A little rough 'n' ready but fine as a proof of concept. I don't think it will stay precariously balanced up there for long.

RunDMD_(resized).jpgRunDMD_(resized).jpg

1 week later
    #637 8 years ago

Does anyone know of a eprom programer that can also program the MCU chips for the clock? I was looking at the Gq-4x eprom programer but I'm not sure it can be used to upgrade the MCU chip on the rundmd clock.

3 weeks later
    #638 8 years ago

Per a request I received via PM. Here's my jumbo clock unlit. I'm going to redo the tinting on the front panel with a different type of even a tinted acrylic if I make any more of them. I have a source (thanks Schwaggs) for the tinted stuff but it's a 4' x 8' sheet so it'll need to be used to make several.

Lights On - No Flash Run-Dmd Jumbo click - Lights On - No FlashRun-Dmd Jumbo click - Lights On - No Flash

Lights Off - With Flash Run-Dmd Jumbo click - Lights Off - With FlashRun-Dmd Jumbo click - Lights Off - With Flash

#639 8 years ago

wow, this product is so cool, can't believe I never saw it before last week. Now that I have my 2nd one on order I will had 2 awesome clocks in my house. My girl even thinks its fun just to watch the clock for 1/2 hour at a time. Highly recommend this to every pinball lover

#640 8 years ago

Thought I'd post a couple of pictures of my latest clock builds with custom laser cut frames. Pictured are 2 examples. The lower is a 3 layer (front Red tint, middle Gray Tint, and back Gray tint). The upper is a 2 layer (middle Gray tint and back Red Tint) with a piece of gray tint overlaying part of it. Somehow the camera makes the LED modules look a lot lighter and it is. Another option for the 2 layer is a front and back. The middle layer is just behind the front layer covering the Stern DMD PCB. I have a bamboo middle and back on order. I will put either a clear or light gray tint on the front...

20160415_171146_(resized).jpg20160415_171146_(resized).jpg

#641 8 years ago

Is the pico for sale yet?

#642 8 years ago
    Quoted from shlockdoc:

Is the pico for sale yet?

No, not yet. Torbjörn is working to add some more features to it, but hopefully it will be ready in the web shop before the summer. I'll keep you guys updated!

1 week later
    #643 7 years ago

ddebuss:
    its all about size with you, isn't it?

don't you know that the new 'big' is 'small'?
    9J1WXT0_(resized).png9J1WXT0_(resized).png

edit:
    can't get .gifs to work again
    http://thisadvertisinglife.tumblr.com/post/61614805989/how-the-first-person-in-the-office-to-get-an

#644 7 years ago

I'm in, just bought all the parts and ordered the frame.
    This is going to EPIC ! ! !

#645 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinballinreno:

I'm in, just bought all the parts and ordered the frame.
    This is going to EPIC ! ! !

Good for you. Ordering the parts and putting it together is most of the fun.

#646 7 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

Good for you. Ordering the parts and putting it together is most of the fun.

When you finally plug it in and the DMD lights up, you are absolutely within your rights to do a victory dance

1 month later
    #647 7 years ago

Any news on the rumored OLED version? Would make a nice desk clock!

#648 7 years ago

Got my Boards today (Edge + Temp board)!!! Those came amazingly quick, now I'm just waiting on my panels.

#649 7 years ago
    Quoted from Ratskrad:

Any news on the rumored OLED version? Would make a nice desk clock!

Still under development, hopefully the first batch will be ready for shipping this month, but I can't promise anything.

#650 7 years ago

for anyone located here in the states, I can offer pic chips with the latest firmware. the price is $12 shipped. if you send me your old pic chip back, I will credit you $5

the current firmware is 3.48

here are a list of the updates that have occurred to the firmware since the dec 2015:
    3.30 2015-12-05 New menu option "TOOLS"/"REBOOT"
    Fix: Enabling/Disabling all or group of animations could corrupt data on some SD-card when using a HUB08 DMD
    Displays progress when enabling/disabling multiple animations

3.31 2015-12-10 New clock styles "CELEBRATION" and "PIRATE"

3.40 2016-01-03 New option "DMD CONTRAST" (HUB08 and Pinball LED DMDs)
    Support for Run-DMD EDGE (RevG)
    New menu option "TOOLS"/"DMD DETECT"
    Detects and reports communication bus errors with RTC or EXP board at boot

3.41 2016-02-17 Wake up timer setting is now AM/PM time format aware
    New option "CLOCK OVERLAY" in menu "ANIMATIONS" to control if/how clock should be displayed during animations

3.42 2016-02-20 Fix: Slow animations/menu system using HUB08 DMDs with firmware v3.41

3.45 2016-02-21 New feature: "KEY TEXT" allows for two selectable custom text messages to be displayed instead of current time
    Fix: Between animations Run-DMD could be less responsive to buttons being pressed
    Fix: If only one animation is enabled the clock seconds dots could stop blinking
    Fix: Option "CLOCK OVERLAY"="ON" would cause the small clock to be incorrectly displayed during some animations

3.46 2016-03-15 Fix: Custom message text displays time instead of entered text
    Fix: "CUSTOM MESSAGE" and "KEY TEXT" displays incorrect texts when both enabled
    Fix: Custom message / key texts not cleared by SD card initialization process
    Current time and system temperature can be inserted in custom message / key text
    Support for "EXP TEMP"

3.47 2016-04-01 DMD "HUB08-X" names changed to generic "TYPE-X" due to HUB75 support on Run-DMD RevM PCBs

3.48 2016-04-29 Selectable temperature scale (Celsius/Fahrenheit/Kelvin)
    Configurable temperature display positions
    Adjusted entry of temperature sensors (T1T2) in custom message / key texts

pm me for details with the subject line "run-dmd pic update"

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.