(Topic ID: 121699)

Run-DMD - The most amazing clock ever released!

By Limpan

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230425_071555~3 (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    PacDotsmall (resized).jpg
    LEDarcade2 (resized).jpg
    1b1b1a1de7dba819db232d1e1260bbbf472616d8 (resized).jpg
    52978E50-7D5F-4414-B1A7-D67B2D69D694 (resized).jpeg
    Run dmc (resized).jpeg
    IMG_9420 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0074 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    e112b5fa62c1a1cddb91974b68c7a6bfbcf89887 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3959 (resized).JPG
    PXL_20210925_171305935.MP (resized).jpg
    HUB08 (resized).JPG
    Run-DMD (resized).JPG
    669C1ED9-72C7-47F8-889A-E8731D50942E.jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 33.
    #451 8 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

John_I:
    your displays look like they came from completely different manufacturers, let alone different batches. that's really odd, because for the 20+ panels that I purchased from ali express, I never had any issues with the level of brightness between 2 panels.

As I mentioned, the difference is not nearly as dramatic to the naked eye - even to someone with perfect color vision. For some reason my camera really exaggerates it. I showed the picture to my friends who can see the difference and they said it is noticeable, but not like the picture fortunately.

I have two more panels coming for a clock I am building for a friend. We will see how those look.

#452 8 years ago

Hmm. I usually think "what an idiot" when I see people deleting duplicate posts and now I do it? Haha.

#453 8 years ago

Personally I'm really happy with mine running on a Stern red LED DMD. No worries about matching panels here, and I like it being the "normal" DMD size.

#454 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Personally I'm really happy with mine running on a Stern red LED DMD. No worries about matching panels here, and I like it being the "normal" DMD size.

whine, whine. yeah, that's it, just rub it in. you younger guys with your good eyes and stuff

#455 8 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

whine, whine. yeah, that's it, just rub it in. you younger guys with your good eyes and stuff

Yeah I have a spare LED display from my ACDC and bought the larger displays anyway. I love the jumbo size! The smaller size would not look right in the particular spot I have it in the game room.

#456 8 years ago

It is a fantastic way to make use of the spare LED DMDs we have lying around. Plus, I think it even looks cool mounted naked. (no weird sexual pun intended

#457 8 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I am wondering if there is a way to fix this in the software? I notice the clock brightness is adjustable in extremely small increments. Why not have a brightness and color adjustments for one panel versus the other?
    I can't see the difference with my bare eye as I am a little color blind, but my friends notice it right away. For whatever reason my phone camera makes it REALLY obvious:

I spoke to Torbjörn this morning, and he says it's hard (or even impossible) to make something like that work in the firmware.

My best bet would be to send the pictures to the seller through Aliexpress and ask them to send you a new display from the same batch as one of those you got (see the DMD:s for batch numbers). You have probably gotten displays from two different batches. I don't know how often they send DMD:s from different batches, but Torbjörn said that he have seen it in the past.

#458 8 years ago
    Quoted from murdock:

Thanks, I had seen the pinside posts. Never clicked the about page on rundmd, I thought it was just information about the developer. Thanks.

Send me a PM if you need any information, but as j_m_ said, you should probably find everytning you need in the FAQ!

#459 8 years ago

Oh, I also received a batch of ICSP Sockets this morning, so they are once again available for order in the webshop.

#460 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Yep. And, Pinball Life sells the red display for $195

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3008

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/P7-62-RG-Dual-Color-Indoor-LED-Display-Board-488x244mm-64x32-Pixel-Resolution-1-16-Scan/1317422821.html

Aurich,
    Did you add plexicovers over the front and back of your stern display?

#461 8 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I am wondering if there is a way to fix this in the software? I notice the clock brightness is adjustable in extremely small increments. Why not have a brightness and color adjustments for one panel versus the other?
    I can't see the difference with my bare eye as I am a little color blind, but my friends notice it right away. For whatever reason my phone camera makes it REALLY obvious:
    20150510_233647.jpg

That is exactly my problem! Sucks. I got refunded for one panel. Come to papa this fall and we can swap panels and have a consistent color.

#462 8 years ago

With ColorDMD it's not hard to find a spare DMD lying around these days ...

I haven't done anything for mine yet, it's just lying there half assembled. When I find some time I'll design some kind of custom frame, just a low priority right now, trying to get Alien stuff out the door.

#463 8 years ago

I really suck at building things. Would someone be interested in building one for me? More then happy to pay you for your time. I think it would be awesome in my gameroom.

Im in Canada.

Pm me with details/price.

Thanks

Eric

#464 8 years ago
    Quoted from thunderstorm:

I really suck at building things. Would someone be interested in building one for me? More then happy to pay you for your time. I think it would be awesome in my gameroom.
    Im in Canada.
    Pm me with details/price.
    Thanks
    Eric

curious what someone would charge. I had someone ask if I would sell mine, but couldn't justify the time/effort.

#465 8 years ago

I've sold a few assembled clocks for just north of $300 plus shipping.

like others have stated, it's a lot of time/effort to wrangle up all of the necessary parts with most of the time waiting for those displays and the power supply to arrive from HK.

and don't get me started about having to deal with return/exchanges for damaged displays :/

#466 8 years ago

Looking back at all the aggravation on getting mine done I would want $500 for it.

#467 8 years ago

ps
    here's a link on ponoko.com for the acrylic panel files (both the FrancoB original files and my rev 2.0 files)
    http://www.ponoko.com/showroom/phosphorsLLC

note: the rev 2.0 files require the use of a low profile IDC style ribbon connector) to connect the pc board to the backside of the right-hand display

#468 8 years ago

I found getting quality displays to be the biggest problem. In the first set I ordered one had a dead pixel. They offered to sell me a new display for a $10 discount, but I still had to order another (at full price) so they would match and pay full shipping which is almost half the cost. I finally got the 2 replacement displays. One did not work at all. The other works but is very different in color from the previous batch. The color difference is very noticeable even when the display is not powered. Using 2 displays that don't match looks much worse than a dead pixel so I'm back to dealing with them through AliExpress. They want me to send the broken display back to them in China at my expense so they can repair it. I am just asking for a refund at this point and the issues is not yet resolved. I agree that building these things his a huge pain, and if I had known what I know now would have ordered 4 displays at the onset so I could get 2 that work and match.

#469 8 years ago

twenty84:
    if it's not too late, open a claim with ali express. that seemed to get the 4 bad displays that I received in my first order replaced. they tried to have me jump through a lot of hoops as well (place another 2 orders and we can offer you 2 free displays with each order to offset the broken ones, etc...)

and yes, they wanted me to pay return shipping on something was obviously their fault. they wouldn't even open up a claim with DHL.

however, once I opened up a claim with ali express, it all changed very fast for my favor and I was shipped out replacement displays at no charge.

#470 8 years ago

They just refunded me for the off color display. I can live with it. I had to open a dispute though.

#471 8 years ago

I finally have 2 of my clocks together and running in their frames. Thank you j_m_! Time to build more... A couple questions.
    1. Any update on the new firmware with the scrolling text?
    2. Is the screw hole layout the same on the EXP ONE the same as the main board? How about for the upcoming board? I ask because I need to make a couple more frames and I'd love to have the holes laser cut while they are being made.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#472 8 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

twenty84:
    if it's not too late, open a claim with ali express. that seemed to get the 4 bad displays that I received in my first order replaced. they tried to have me jump through a lot of hoops as well (place another 2 orders and we can offer you 2 free displays with each order to offset the broken ones, etc...)
    and yes, they wanted me to pay return shipping on something was obviously their fault. they wouldn't even open up a claim with DHL.
    however, once I opened up a claim with ali express, it all changed very fast for my favor and I was shipped out replacement displays at no charge.

Thanks. I opened a dispute and they sent me a refund. My experience (and others as well) is that communicating with them without opening a dispute is a complete waste of time. I am still using my original panels which have one pixel out. I'm not sure I have the stomach for ordering another set in hopes of getting a matching working pair. I wish there was a US retailer for these, it would be worth paying a significant markup for someone else to deal with them.

#473 8 years ago

just a tip for those of you ordering the displays from ali express. I really think the best way to do so is to order them in sets of 2 (even if you plan on building multiple clocks). the shipping costs are based per display (not per order).

this will ensure that the shipping package has the most amount of padding material in it (they appear to use the same sized shipping box when ordering any where between 1 and 6 displays).

so, if you plan on constructing more than one clock, place [multiple] orders in sets of 2 displays at a time

#474 8 years ago

I just ordered this and was planning to run it on a spare stern dmd that came from Star Trek. I ordered the same power supply that Aurich linked from Amazon. I have a few questions tho.
    Do I need a ribbon connector thingy that connects the dmd to the run dmd?
    Does the dmd itself need a power supply connector thingy?
    And finally. Can someone link me specific instructions on this flashing the sd card? I am quite computer unsavy and rely on my iMac and iPhone for all things Internet related.
    Thanks!

#475 8 years ago
    Quoted from Womper:

I just ordered this and was planning to run it on a spare stern dmd that came from Star Trek. I ordered the same power supply that Aurich linked from Amazon. I have a few questions tho.
    Do I need a ribbon connector thingy that connects the dmd to the run dmd?
    Does the dmd itself need a power supply connector thingy?
    And finally. Can someone link me specific instructions on this flashing the sd card? I am quite computer unsavy and rely on my iMac and iPhone for all things Internet related.
    Thanks!

Yes, you need a ribbon connector. No, you don't need a power supply for the DMD, it's powered from the board.

Flashing the card without a PC might be tough. I'm a Mac guy too, but I used a spare netbook I have lying around with Windows to do it.

2 weeks later
    #476 8 years ago

I still can't get this thing to work. I've held the 3rd button down while plugging in the power so that it'll cycle. I've flashed the ad card using a PC. I'm using a working stern dmd from Star Trek. Using the same power supply that Aurich linked. Tried two different ribbon cables. I can get the dmd to flash once a second. Or long flashes when it's cycling through displays.
    Ever since I got it, absolutely nothing will show up on my dmd. No line. No nothing. Like the dmd has zero power.
    Just to make sure, I have a power supply going into the run dmd and all that one red flashes. I have the sd card in. And I have a ribbon cable going from the pinball dmd out on the run dmd to my pinball dmd. Oh and I have the battery in the run dmd. Am I missing something? I feel like the pinball dmd needs some kinda power other than from the ribbon cable. When it's plugged into the actual pinball machine, it needs a separate power supply.
    Please advise if can. Thanks!

#477 8 years ago

Can someone please help me with the basics? I do not know how to "flash" the card...are there some instructions or video how to do this? Sorry for being computer illiterate.
    Thanks

#478 8 years ago

I was looking at some pictures and was wondering
    Should there be a power cord from the run dmd to the pinball dmd? Like a separate power cord other than the ribbon connector?
    If so. Where do I get one of those? Was that supposed to come with the run dmd?

Gsrogers: I downloaded something called "hdd raw copy" I just googled that and downloaded it. As for the "image", I found it on a arcade otaku forum. Something like that. I googled run dmd and arcade otaku.
    Then again, I can't get it to work so maybe don't listen to me.

#479 8 years ago

Nevermind! Got it working. Love it! I just needed to connect a power wire from the run dmd to the pinball dmd. Silly me!

#480 8 years ago

Appreciate any tips...

I have the 2 files, I am just a little lost what to do with them. Do I copy both to the sd card and insert in the board? Or do I have to do something else?
    Thanks again,
    Garry

#481 8 years ago

Hdd raw copy is a program. Run it. It'll ask for the source. The source is the image file you downloaded. Then the program will ask for the target. The target is the 2 gig flash drive it came with. Boom. Done.

#482 8 years ago
    Quoted from Womper:

Hdd raw copy is a program. Run it. It'll ask for the source. The source is the image file you downloaded. Then the program will ask for the target. The target is the 2 gig flash drive it came with. Boom. Done.

correct, however the multi-card reader on some pc's will not work correctly with HDD rawcopy. I had to resort to using my laptop (which has an integrated sd card reader) vs. the multi-card reader on my desktop. when I attempting to select the sd card reader in HDD rawcopy when using my desktop, I repeatedly received a "device is in use" error message.

#483 8 years ago

Still looking for someone to build one of these for me, willing to pay for time and materials.
    pm me please!

Eric

#484 8 years ago

I'm getting a faint vertical line along the right side of the dmd when it's running. And a single bright dot on the lower right hand corner when the dmd is off. Anyone else getting this or anyone know what I can do to get rid of this? I've tried messing with cables, holding buttons down. It works fine other than the faint line and the one dot that won't go off.
    Thanks!

#485 8 years ago
    Quoted from Womper:

I'm getting a faint vertical line along the right side of the dmd when it's running. And a single bright dot on the lower right hand corner when the dmd is off. Anyone else getting this or anyone know what I can do to get rid of this? I've tried messing with cables, holding buttons down. It works fine other than the faint line and the one dot that won't go off.
    Thanks!

Are you using one of the larger HUB displays or a red Stern display? If a red Stern display, I'd suspect that. Those things are junk.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-red-led-dmd-anyone-have-issues

#486 8 years ago

A red stern display. Awww. I guess it's something I can live with. Real glad I got a colordmd then!

#487 8 years ago

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the lack of support here at the forum lately. I've been having some trouble in the past months, and now trying to get the IRL life running smoothly. (orders are sent out in 1-2 days no matter what).

If you guys have any problem that the community can't solve, please drop me a line at [email protected] asap. I'll also try to check here every now and then too.

Anyways, Torbjörn has just released a new image called B121. The newest additions are: Congo, Black Rose, Corvette & No Fear. I don't think it's possible to post a link here at Pinside, so Google it and you'll find it.

Regarding firmware 3.10 (with the scrolling text), Torbjörn told me he will make it happen after the summer. I'll keep you guys updated!

Cheers!

#488 8 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

Anyways, Torbjörn has just released a new image called B121. The newest additions are: Congo, Black Rose, Corvette & No Fear. I don't think it's possible to post a link here at Pinside, so Google it and you'll find it.

Found. Thanks!

1 week later
    #489 8 years ago

A new image file (B122) has just been released, and here's the newest animations added:

B122: Who Dunnit, Doctor Who, Indianapolis 500, Johnny Mnemonic, Demolition Man & Flintstones
    B121: Congo, Black Rose, Corvette & No Fear

#490 8 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

A new image file (B122) has just been released, and here's the newest animations added:
    B122: WHO dunnit, Doctor Who, Indianapolis 500, Johnny Mnemonic, Demolition Man & Flintstones
    B121: Congo, Black Rose, Corvette & No Fear

Sweet!

#491 8 years ago

Is it safe to say that B122 has all of the previous animations on it.

#492 8 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

Is it safe to say that B122 has all of the previous animations on it.

Yes, they just add the new ones in. Any special setup that you might have done will have to be redone when you swap in the new SD image. For instance, if you disabled any of the animations you will have to go back through the new file list and disable them again.

#493 8 years ago
    Quoted from Limpan:

Regarding firmware 3.10 (with the scrolling text), Torbjörn told me he will make it happen after the summer. I'll keep you guys updated!

I know a couple of people with barcades that would really like this function. I'd kind of like it for my home arcade too!

#494 8 years ago

Installed the updated sd card image and I love it. One thing I noticed is the RUN-DMD animations is playing very frequently. I don't want to get rid of it but I would like to decrease how often it shows up. Is it possible to do that?

#495 8 years ago
    Quoted from ddebuss:

Installed the updated sd card image and I love it. One thing I noticed is the RUN-DMD animations is playing very frequently. I don't want to get rid of it but I would like to decrease how often it shows up. Is it possible to do that?

Yes. It's one of the settings. Something like startup animation. For some reason this was set as default 1/10. There are other settings including disable.

#496 8 years ago

I think the setting is 'clock delay'.

#497 8 years ago
    Quoted from chriskd:

I think the setting is 'clock delay'.

No that's the setting that dictates the number of seconds between animations. There's another setting that allows you to show the start-up Run-DMD screen as one of the animations. The settings are based on one out of every x animations it will show the start-up screen. I think it was accidentally set to 1/10 by default in the B122 update. There are other values like 1/30, 1/50, etc. Just set that one to 'disable' if you don't want to see it.

#499 8 years ago

ok. i'm VERY late to this party. I would love one of these in my gamesroom. can anyone list (with links) exactly what I need to buy to get one of these happening?

#500 8 years ago

1. Start here: http://run-dmd.com/about
    2. Get the dual color displays if you want the "yellow" look.

The frames are another story...
    1. Start here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-bulk-purchase-for-frames-north-america-batch-2
    2. Obtain the hardware...

There are 1,618 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 33.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-the-most-amazing-clock-ever-released/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.