Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 52 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by j_m_
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2172_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2170_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2149_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2145_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2146_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2144_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2173_(resized).JPG
    plans_(resized).jpg
    IMG_2115_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2110_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2112_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2111_(resized).JPG
    EDGE_modified_(resized).jpg
    custom_cables_(resized).jpg
    stern_sized_frame_[test]_(resized).jpg
    legs_(resized).jpg

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

this thread is to gauge interest for those of you have installed a ColorDMD in one or more of your machines and now have an extra Stern red / green LED DMD lying around

I'm putting the finishing touches on a new set of acrylic frames for a friend (I will be test cutting them in cardboard) and will post photos once I have the find product in hand.

if I have enough interest, the kits will include the following:
    - run-dmd EDGE pc board
    - front and rear acrylic frame pieces (front panel will be grey tint, rear panel will have a glossy black front and a matte black backside)
    - clock frame legs (so that the clock can be positioned for display on a desk)
    - all necessary hardware (screws, nuts, washers, spacers, stand-offs, etc...)
    - 5 amp power supply

#2 8 years ago

I have my Run DMD set up using a spare Stern DMD, and it looks great.

#3 8 years ago

I'm messing around with the idea of etching the run-dmd logo on the front panel (either on the front side of it, or from the backside where it would be a bit more subtle. thoughts?

stern_sized_run-dmd_frame_(resized).jpgstern_sized_run-dmd_frame_(resized).jpg

#4 8 years ago

Personally, I'd prefer no logo.

#5 8 years ago

I'd definitely be interested, my office desperately needs this!
    +1 for no logo

#6 8 years ago

I would be interested. Have a brand new one I picked up before they started making colorDMD's for Sterns.

#7 8 years ago

Sounds pretty great - Do you have a sense of about what the cost would be compared to the fully assembled clock? Also, will these be reasonably easy to assemble for someone without much technical experience/skill?

#8 8 years ago

the logo is a 99% no-go based on current feedback

I have not set pricing just yet, pricing will fluctuate based on the euro-dollar exchange rate since the run-dmd EDGE boards are produced in Sweden

as far as ease of assembly... if you can build a LEGO toy, you should be able to put this together (I'm striving to make it so that everything necessary is packaged in with the kit, including all of the necessary tools (metric allen key, etc...) as well as a set of custom ribbon and power cables so that all you need is the actual LED display (perfect for those looking for a desk sized run-dmd clock that do not currently have an extra display lying around

the stern red LED displays can be purchased from pinballlife.com
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3008

#9 8 years ago

Great, I'm in for one.

#10 8 years ago

I would be in for one depending on the cost..also would prefer no logo

#11 8 years ago

2016.feb.04 update
    the cardboard prototype frames should are slated to arrive tomorrow. the prototype frame will allow me to determine any changes that still need to be made to the panels, along with determining the minimum lengths for the spacers, and give me a "frame" to help design the "legs"

look for pics this weekend

#12 8 years ago

Can I reserve a place in the first block already?

#13 8 years ago

I would be in for one as I was too late in the current batch and would prefer no logo as well.

#14 8 years ago

I'm not taking any names just yet. I need to prove this out first.

the nice part about this kit is that there will be a few less components (and more importantly, I don't have to QC all of the displays

#15 8 years ago

2016.feb.08 update
    I got sidetracked this weekend before posting the photos. here are the promised photos

IMG_1950_(resized).JPGIMG_1950_(resized).JPG
    it was a good thing that I created the cardboard prototype run since I messed up the right left half of the measurements somehow. that's been fixed now, but other than that and opening up the battery access hole a bit, I'm rather happy with how everything came out

IMG_1952_(resized).JPGIMG_1952_(resized).JPG
    I'm going to change the terminal block on the run-dmd EDGE boards and custom build (and include) both the power and data cables so that I can reduce the height of the hex stand-offs for both the ones used to mount the board to the rear panel as well as the ones that the stern display is mounted to. this will reduce the depth of the desktop sized clock by about 15mm compared to the wall mounted version

additionally, I will be bundling in a short right-angle extension cord for the power supply with the kits so that the power cord is not sticking out the right side of the display

#16 8 years ago

a question for the potential customer base:

I'm thinking of offering the following with the kits to try and make this as easy to assemble and turn-key as possible. basically, the only thing that you will need to provide is the actual stern display board

the kits will include the following:
    - run-dmd EDGE board (x 1) [customized with a lower profile right-angle 2-pin power connector]
    - front acrylic panel (grey tint) (x 1)
    - rear acrylic panel (glossy back front side, matte black rear) (x 1)
    - snap-in acrylic legs to position the clock at a 10° angle (x 2)

- cable terminated with 2-pin/4-pin molex connectors (to run power from the run-dmd EDGE board to the back of the stern DMD display panel) (x 1)
    - 14-pin flat data ribbon cable (x 1)
    - 10-inch long 5.5mm/2.1mm right-angle power adapter extension cable (x 1)

- M3 x 12mm black oxide button head hex screws (x 6)
    - M3 x 8mm stainless steel flanged button head hex screws (x 14)
    - M3 x 7mm round spacers (x 6)
    - M3 x 12mm hex threaded spacers (x 4)
    - M3 x 20mm hex threaded spacers (x 6)

- M3 short arm allen key (x 1)

I'm thinking about including an additional (6) M3 x 30mm hex threaded spaces (to allow the clock to be mounted on the wall), but I haven't decided if it's worth it. the longer spacers would used instead of the (6) M3 x 20mm hex spacers to add enough depth so that the restraining connector is not poking out past the rear acrylic panel.

the question being how many people are thinking of purchasing this kit to hang on a wall?

#17 8 years ago

Mine would be to hang on a wall for sure!

#18 8 years ago

I'd likely have it on a bookshelf, but it would be nice to have the option of having it on the wall too.

#19 8 years ago

note to self:
    unless I really, really, really want to create more work for myself because I've nothing better to do, I have to remember to quit asking these types of questions

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

a question for the potential customer base:
    I'm thinking of offering the following with the kits to try and make this as easy to assemble and turn-key as possible. basically, the only thing that you will need to provide is the actual stern display board
    the kits will include the following:
    - run-dmd EDGE board (x 1) [customized with a lower profile right-angle 2-pin power connector]
    - front acrylic panel (grey tint) (x 1)
    - rear acrylic panel (glossy back front side, matte black rear) (x 1)
    - snap-in acrylic legs to position the clock at a 10° angle (x 2)
    - cable terminated with 2-pin/4-pin molex connectors (to run power from the run-dmd EDGE board to the back of the stern DMD display panel) (x 1)
    - 14-pin flat data ribbon cable (x 1)
    - 10-inch long 5.5mm/2.1mm right-angle power adapter extension cable (x 1)
    - M3 x 12mm black oxide button head hex screws (x 6)
    - M3 x 8mm stainless steel flanged button head hex screws (x 14)
    - M3 x 7mm round spacers (x 6)
    - M3 x 12mm hex threaded spacers (x 4)
    - M3 x 20mm hex threaded spacers (x 6)
    - M3 short arm allen key (x 1)
    I'm thinking about including an additional (6) M3 x 30mm hex threaded spaces (to allow the clock to be mounted on the wall), but I haven't decided if it's worth it. the longer spacers would used instead of the (6) M3 x 20mm hex spacers to add enough depth so that the restraining connector is not poking out past the rear acrylic panel.
    the question being how many people are thinking of purchasing this kit to hang on a wall?

For my purposes, initially, it will probably be a standalone on a desk or shelf. Once my wife and I move into our new house, it will probably end up mounted to a wall (hopefully a man-cave!). I have an extra Stern LED DMD sitting in a box with nowhere to go.

Either case, I missed the last waiting list, so you can put me down for one of the Stern kits! Also, I prefer no logo.

Thanks!
    - Mark

#21 8 years ago

2016.feb.12 update
    I am currently waiting on some parts that I ordered to make the custom data and power cables. once those are in my possession I will finalize the frame design and submit for one last test before ordering all of the components and setting a price for the kits

#22 8 years ago

2016.feb.18 update
    well, I ordered the wrong size connectors for one end of the power cables that has now been corrected and the new [correct size] connectors are on the way.

all of the necessary hardware has also been ordered to accommodate 100 kits.

the files for the frames have been updated (I just need to adjust the positions for the wall mount and desk stand holes). here are some potential desk stand leg designs
    legs_(resized).jpglegs_(resized).jpg

I'm also toying with the idea of extending the bottom of the front acrylic panel so that it helps to direct the weight of the frame towards the back if I were to offer the desk stand leg design that tips the clock back 5-10° (as well as preventing the clock from accidentally falling face first)

#23 8 years ago

I would be in for one... thank you!!

#25 8 years ago

2016.feb.24 update
    I received the 14-pin connectors yesterday, but still need to finalize the design of the legs to submit my files again.

I've been busy trying to catalog items that I plan on taking and attempting to sell at MGC.

received
    14-pin ribbon cable (50') - received 2016.feb.15
    14-pin connectors - received 2016.feb.23

3-pin right-angle male/female connectors (used to replace the terminal block on the run-dmd EDGE board) - received 2016.feb.26
    4-pin female connectors - received 2016.feb.29

M3 x 7 mm black nylon sleeves (round) - received 2016.feb.29
    M3 x 20 mm black nylon stand-offs (hex) - received 2016.feb.29
    M3 x 30 mm black nylon stand-offs (hex) (optional assembly use for mounting clock on wall vs. desktop) - received 2016.feb.29

M3 x 8 mm stainless flange button head allen screws - received 2016.mar.02
    M3 x 12 mm black oxide button head allen screws - received 2016.mar.02

completed (and waiting to receive)
    acrylic frame design (finalized 2 potential leg designs and submitted files for test cutting). photos will be posted once I have the samples in hand

ordered, but have not received
    M3 x 12 mm black nylon stand-offs (hex)

#26 8 years ago

2016.feb.26 update
    finally got my butt motivated and completed the frame and leg design. submitting the files tomorrow for one last <fingers crossed> test run

stern_sized_frame_[test]_(resized).jpgstern_sized_frame_[test]_(resized).jpg

#27 8 years ago

2016.mar.01 update
    I should have the latest test set of laser cut acrylic back from ponoko.com on/by mar 15th. if everything goes well, I hope to proceed and may have a few kits with me to sell @ MGC in april

#28 8 years ago

Looking good. Quick question, how will the desk stand leg designs help prevent the frame from falling forward? Will the weight of the legs be enough to help prevent that?

#29 8 years ago

with the legs attached, the clock should be positioned so that it is leaning back (and facing upwards) at approximately a 5° angle (if I've calculated correctly

#30 8 years ago

2016.mar.02 update
    wow, the ponoko.com order was not only verified, but laser cut and is now shipping in a mere 2 days! I should have the test frame set by next week monday at the latest. if everything looks good, I will put in an order for enough frames to build 24 kits to start

#31 8 years ago

^ dibs on one kit, please

#32 8 years ago

Put neon list. Do you have a sense of price?

#33 8 years ago

no list yet. no price yet, but I will start a thread for purchasing once everything has been finalized

#34 8 years ago

2016.mar.04 update
    the second run of the test frames (this time in acrylic) are due to arrive today. I should be able to post photos tomorrow of a completed clock (if all goes according to plan

in other related news, here are a couple of photos of the custom cables that will be provided in the kits. the right-angle connector on the EDGE board will be replaced by a slightly thicker .396 posts (shown is the .254) which doesn't afford the strength that I was shooting for
    custom cable workcustom cable work
    having to hand make all of the cabling is a bit more time consuming, but leads to a much cleaner product without any excess length that you need to worry about tucking out of the way

lower profile terminal connectionlower profile terminal connection
    by removing the screw-in terminal block originally provided on the run-dmd pc board, I was able to reduce the height of the stand-offs from 16 to 12 mm. this positions the board closer to the rear panel, making it easier to change the battery.
    the new connector that I will end up using will probably cover up most of the '-' and '+' markings on the pc board, however the connector will be keyed with a locking tab to help identify which direction it should be plugged in

#35 8 years ago

2016.mar.05 update
    the acrylic arrived yesterday and overall I'm quite happy with the way most everything came out (except how the legs connect). I've made what is hopefully the last set of adjustments and submitted a new file for another test run.

I've noticed the stern's display board may or may not have a restraint connector for the data line. the cut-out on the rear panel will accommodate for those people there it does.

here are a few images of the clock, 80% assembled (the front panel was left off so that more could be seen).
    front of clock, minus tinted acrylic shieldfront of clock, minus tinted acrylic shield
    rear of clock assemblyrear of clock assembly
    cut-outs include slots for desktop legs, hanging holes for wall mounting, and access to the icsp connector (to update the run-dmd firmware) and the battery
    top view, showing access to the menu buttons and sd cardtop view, showing access to the menu buttons and sd card
    side view, showing power connector accessside view, showing power connector access

I've intentionally made the clock as "thin" as it can be. I may add a piece of insulation paper to secure on the back of the run-dmd board to eliminate the possibility of grounding out to the backside of the stern display and will be modifying the 4-pin power connector housing so that the cable isn't pinched between the display and rear frame, additionally eliminating any unnecessary stress on the connector.

finally, here is a look at the latest files submitted for laser cutting. I've changed the shape of the legs slightly to allow for more contact area
    plans_(resized).jpgplans_(resized).jpg

#36 8 years ago

in assembling the entire clock, I've found out that I've made one more crucial error and have corrected this by ordering the *correct* length M3 black button head screws.

I guess I'll have some unnecessary extra hardware to throw up on amazon or ebay

#37 8 years ago

2016.mar.07 update
    this will probably be the last update. once all of the components are in hand, I will start another thread with pricing and availability.

the new test acrylics have been made and should ship out from ponoko today. I should receive them before the end of the week and will be able to see if these changes will allow me to call the design [complete]

and, after looking at how tight that I've made the specs for this project, I have decided that I am going to include a small, thin cardboard insulator sheet to cover the bottom of the run-dmd board and protect both boards against any unintentional grounding. while I don't foresee it to be a problem, it just makes sense to eliminate the potential risk, especially since the additional cost is less than a dollar

the kit will include the following:
    - set of custom, laser cut acrylic panels with detachable desktop legs (4 pcs)
    - run-dmd EDGE board (modified with a lower profile terminal block to supply power to the stern display)
    - 8amp, 5v power supply

- 14-pin ribbon cable (custom length data cable)
    - 2-wire cable, 2-pin female molex to 4-pin female molex (custom length power cable)

- M3 black oxide flanged button head screws (qty: 6)
    - M3 stainless flanged button head screws (qty: 14)

- M3 x 12 mm black nylon hex stand-offs (qty: 4)
    - M3 x 7 mm round spacers (qty: 6)
    - M3 x 20 mm black nylon hex stand-offs (used for "thin" desktop configuration) (qty: 6)
    - M3 x 30 mm black nylon hex stand-offs (used for desktop or wall mount configuration) (qty: 6)

- M3 allen key tool

the only thing not included in the kit is the actual stern LED display panel

degree of difficulty:
    if you can use a screwdriver, you should have no problem assembling this kit.

total assembly time:
    15-20 minutes

#38 8 years ago

Any price idea yet I have a red LED DMD sitting from pulling it out of my Metallica to swap over to color DMD

#39 8 years ago

the price for the kit is probably looking like $290-300 plus shipping and packaging costs (with a bulk of the price being the run-dmd EDGE pc board and power supply

and yes, the target market here is for those of us with stern machines that have replaced the single color LED panels with a ColorDMD

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

the price for the kit is probably looking like $290-300 plus shipping and packaging costs (with a bulk of the price being the run-dmd EDGE pc board and power supply
    and yes, the target market here is for those of us with stern machines that have replaced the single color LED panels with a ColorDMD

Awesome! I just replaced the DMD in my Tron Legacy with a Color DMD last night! Now. so that makes two DMD's I have sitting for some Run DMD clocks!

(Trying) to wait patiently for the signup list!

- Mark

#41 8 years ago

Interested...

#42 8 years ago

2016.mar.11 update
    the new test acrylics are perfect! the revised "legs" actually [snap] into the back panel exactly like I wanted them to and the panel is very secure once they have been inserted. however, being acrylic, the repeated insertion and removal is not something that I would recommend)

I'm still waiting on some of the components to arrive (the heavier 2-pin right angle connectors, longer black oxide screws and the short hex stand-offs), but the design is now complete.

photos of the finished product will be posted in the official announcement thread once I receive the remaining components (and put together the assembly guide).

1 week later
    #43 8 years ago

2016.mar.18 update
    the stronger 2-pin connectors should be delivered today along with the first batch of 10 sets of acrylic frames and insulator sheets

once I take delivery of the longer M3 screws and the short (12mm) hex stand-offs, I will start a new thread containing a link to the assembly instructions, pricing and ordering information

#44 8 years ago

I have seen this test model in action. This thing is pretty sweet. If you have the stern dmd, then you are going to want to get one of these.

#45 8 years ago

2016.mar.19 update
    run-dmd EDGE board with new connector
    IMG_2173_(resized).JPGIMG_2173_(resized).JPG

stack of acrylic parts and insulator sheets
    IMG_2144_(resized).JPGIMG_2144_(resized).JPG

and finally a few photos of how the legs fit and the run-dmd board installed with the insulation sheet
    IMG_2145_(resized).JPGIMG_2145_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2149_(resized).JPGIMG_2149_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2146_(resized).JPGIMG_2146_(resized).JPG

IMG_2170_(resized).JPGIMG_2170_(resized).JPG
    IMG_2172_(resized).JPGIMG_2172_(resized).JPG

#46 8 years ago

I'm so going to order one of these. Will you post a link to ordering thread here too?

#47 8 years ago

yep, I will post a link here to the new thread so that it doesn't get lost

I still need adjust the legs before the kits go live (unless you're fine with setting the clocks straight vertical for the time being).

when I did my prototyping, I did not account that the weight of the stern displays would move the center of gravity as much as it did. subsequently, the frame does not want to to sit back on the legs as it was designed.

now that I have a completely assembled clock, I will be able determine at what angle the center of gravity is to determine the [new] angle that the legs should be

one final note:
    acrylic is rather brittle. I have found one, and only one correct way to [pop] the legs back off of the frame (which requires disassembly of the clock). failure to use the procedure [which will be documented in the assembly guide] will most undoubtedly cause your legs to break into into 2 pieces

#48 8 years ago

2016.mar.21 update
    I received all of the remaining components this past weekend and have enough run-dmd EDGE boards to ship out 4 kits right now.

however, as posted early (see my above post), there is still an issue with the legs that needs to be addressed.

if anyone wants to be an early adopter, I can sell the current kits (up to the first 8 5 people) at a discount of $10 off (they will ship without the legs). once I have the legs available, I will ship those at no additional cost.

this offer will only be available for a short time (via this thread post) for those that have been keeping up with the progress here.

if you'd like to take advantage of the discount, pm me with the subject line "stern-sized run-dmd clock [pre-order]"

the early adopter price is $290 plus shipping. the final price once I get the leg design finalized [again], will be $300 plus shipping

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

2016.mar.21 update
    I received all of the remaining components this past weekend and have enough run-dmd EDGE boards to ship out 4 kits right now.
    however, as posted early (see my above post), there is still an issue with the legs that needs to be addressed.
    if anyone wants to be an early adopter, I can sell the current kits (up to the first 8 people) at a discount of $10 off (they will ship without the legs). once I have the legs available, I will ship those at no additional cost.
    this offer will only be available for a short time (via this thread post) for those that have been keeping up with the progress here.
    if you'd like to take advantage of the discount, pm me with the subject line "stern-sized run-dmd clock [pre-order]"
    the early adopter price is $290 plus shipping. the final price once I get the leg design finalized [again], will be $300 plus shipping

PM sent! Please count me in on the "early adopter" list Let us know how to arrange payment, etc..

Thanks for your incredible service to the community!

- Mark

#50 8 years ago

2016.mar.24 update
    the re-design of the legs is complete and the files have been submitted for laser cutting. once received and verified, the early adopters will have theirs mailed out. I kept the same basic shape but had to tilt the clock back 22.5° due to the frame being front heavy from the display board

There are 52 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-stern-sized-dmd-frames and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.