(Topic ID: 130345)

run-dmd - programming the pic chip

By j_m_

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

run-dmd 012.jpg
    run-dmd 011.jpg
    run-dmd 009.jpg
    run-dmd 008.jpg
    run-dmd 007b.jpg
    run-dmd 005.jpg
    run-dmd 004.jpg
    run-dmd 003.jpg
    run-dmd 002.jpg
    run-dmd daughter board.png
    fig1-1 (1).gif
    run-dmd 000.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ddebuss.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 8 years ago

Does any of you know if the chip can be programmed via the ICSP connection directly on the RUN-DMD board? Having taken my 3x clocks/frames apart 2x times for updating firmware is a pain. Was thinking of connecting a cable and leaving it there. When a new version comes out untuck it, flash it, tuck the calbe back in, then I'm done.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

if you look at the FAQ page you'ss sell that you can if you have a rev A through F board:

Thank you docquest. I thought I looked there but didn't see it. Next time I upgrade I'm adding a cable to each of them. Hopefully that will be the last time they have to come apart.

Any status on the EXP3? I have all the parts to build 5 more clocks (minus the Run-dmd) but am waiting for EXP3 since I will want my frames to have the right holes in the right places.

2 weeks later
    #9 8 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

- move the position of the run-dmd pc board (one more time) to eliminate the need for the low profile ribbon cable connector
    - open up the access hole over the run-dmd pc board (making it easier to either connect to the ICSP or remove the pic chip) for firmware updates
    - add additional mounting holes to support the addition of the EXP ONE board

Exactly the 3 things I was going to do. I never want to take one of these apart again. I'm installing a ICSP cable permanently in all of my clocks going forward since it's a pain to update. Simply untuck the installed cable, update, retuck cable. Hopefully the mounting holes on the EXP THREE are in the same place as the Run-Dmd holes. My plan was for the Run-dmd board to put a much bigger hole just left of the center if looking at it from the back and the holes for the EXP THREE just right of the center. I don't care if I can access the menu buttons while it's on the wall since there's a remote and I generally don't' change settings after installing it. I'll send you a cutout template I was planning on using if you are interested.

4 weeks later
    #11 8 years ago

That's how I did it and it worked great.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ddebuss.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-programming-the-pic-chip-1?tu=ddebuss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.