Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by j_m_
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

run-dmd panels.jpg
    creech_promo.jpg
    IMG_1027[1].JPG
    #1 8 years ago

when assembling the run-dmd clock for a neighbor and a few other people, I noticed a few things that I that I saw could be improved

1. the way that the pc board is positioned, the orientation of the buttons (via the cut-out) on the back frame does not match the 4 options of the menu system
    2. there is no easy way to replace the CR2032 battery without disassembling the entire clock (all 18 screws) and then having to put it back together again
    3. there is no easy way to remove and re-flash the pic chip with a firmware update.

given that practically no one owns a microchip pic kit 3 to re-flash the pic chips (and that torbjorn has already done a fantastic job with the options on the clock), I'm going to forego addressing bullet point no. 3

however, that's not to say that I can't improve the rear panel design to accommodate the first 2 bullet points.

if I re-orient the pc board like this (see image below) and create a 1-1/4" diameter circular cut-out over the battery position, not only is the sd card is still accessible from the right side (when viewed from the front) of the frame, the buttons are in the same orientation as the 4 menu options and the battery is replace-able without any dis-assembly required.

IMG_1027[1].JPGIMG_1027[1].JPG

what do you guys (and gals) think?

#2 8 years ago

I think your onto something great there.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

2. there is no easy way to replace the CR2032 battery without disassembling the entire clock (all 18 screws) and then having to put it back together again

If you redo anything else in the design I would possibly redo the heights of the spacers so you can do away with the extra nuts and eliminate this issue. I didn't use all the recommended metric hardware so on mine I can undo just the 4 screws holding on the run-dmd board to the back piece and slide it out of the frame.

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from kbliznick:

If you redo anything else in the design I would possibly redo the heights of the spacers so you can do away with the extra nuts and eliminate this issue. I didn't use all the recommended metric hardware so on mine I can undo just the 4 screws holding on the run-dmd board to the back piece and slide it out of the frame.

I still have hardware left from the 1st batch and have already ordered the necessary remaining hardware for the 2nd batch, so I probably won't change anything in that regard (however, that's not to say that the individuals purchasing a kit can't cut those M3 screws down to eliminate the need for the M3 washers

personally, I think it's a quality control issue with the stand-offs coming from hong kong. the length of the tapped threads should be longer than what they are (which would eliminate the issue altogether)

and with the added battery hole in my proposed changes, unless you plan on re-flashing the pic chip, there's really no reason to remove the pc board.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

unless you plan on re-flashing the pic chip, there's really no reason to remove the pc board.

With the upcoming accessory board it is very likely that people will want the new firmware.

#6 8 years ago

Is there enough room on the plastic sheet the frames are cut from to have some "legs" also cut? That way someone could display it on a flat surface like a book case, shelf, desk, top of a game, etc. I'm thinking something similar to those promo plastics they sometimes made. You would just need 2 or 3 flat pieces that were kinda L shaped with slots in them.

creech_promo.jpgcreech_promo.jpg

#7 8 years ago

Meh I have the first version of the frame and will just be cutting holes on the back to replace the battery, sd, and ic. You only need holes big enough to get at them.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from docquest:

Is there enough room on the plastic sheet the frames are cut from to have some "legs" also cut? That way someone could display it on a flat surface like a book case, shelf, desk, top of a game, etc. I'm thinking something similar to those promo plastics they sometimes made. You would just need 2 or 3 flat pieces that were kinda L shaped with slots in them.
    creech_promo.jpg

It does not need legs it will stand on a flat surface without anything.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from Syco54645:

Meh I have the first version of the frame and will just be cutting holes on the back to replace the battery, sd, and ic. If You only need holes big enough to get at them.

I don't mind tearing it down to replace the battery. It isn't going to be that much work.

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

I don't mind tearing it down to replace the battery. It isn't going to be that much work.

Yeah I am sure that the battery would last a very long time. It is more when you flash the sd card or update the ic.

#11 8 years ago

Actually wouldnt the sd card be accessible from the bottom and the hole for hanging the clock allows access to the battery. in that case the only hard thing would be getting at the ic.

#12 8 years ago

Battery isn't a huge issue. It's the PIC chip that you'd have to take the frame apart to change. The SD card is accessible from the side.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

It does not need legs it will stand on a flat surface without anything.

Since I'm still waiting for parts and haven't built one yet I wasn't sure if it's depth and height caused it to be "tippy". Good to know it can stand on it own.

#14 8 years ago

here are the completed proposed changes to the rear panel (original on top, revised on bottom)

run-dmd panels.jpgrun-dmd panels.jpg

note: I've increased the stroke thickness so that you can see the lines. I have enough hardware (with the parts that are still coming) to take another 20 reservations. I will probably submit the files tomorrow. after that, I will make these new files available for FREE on ponoko.com

#15 8 years ago

if no one has any complaints between now and tomorrow, I'm going to run with this and place the order for the batch no. 2 frames (20 total)

once I place the order with ponoko.com, I will start the batch 2 reservation list thread

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-potential-frame-improvement and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.