(Topic ID: 142953)

run-dmd - assembled clocks v3 - balance (shipping this week)

By j_m_

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 191 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by shlockdoc
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

jc1_(resized).jpg
    1449790074410-890690540.jpg
    LED_panel_specs.jpg
    IMG_1364.jpg
    IMG_1353.jpg
    IMG_1355.jpg
    IMG_1358.jpg
    EXP_ONE_bottom.jpg
    EXP_ONE_top.jpg
    run-dmd_frame_v3.jpg
    v3_mockup_02.jpg
    v3_mockup_01.jpg
    1447845229449266006184.jpg
    1447845120372-763354090.jpg
    IMG_12641.jpg
    acrylic_frame_rear_v3.jpg

There are 191 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 3 years ago

Received mine yesterday! Great work j_m! Everything works as it should with the remote.

I highly recommend j_m's work!

Thanks for getting it to me before the holiday!

Ed

#152 3 years ago

2015.dec.18 update
    the remaining run-dmd pc boards have been posted to me. I hope to receive them before the end of the year, but no promises

I believe that I have enough components on hand that all of the outstanding clocks will be assembled next week after receiving the acrylic

happy holidays to everyone and thank for supporting the project!

#153 3 years ago

Received mine a couple weeks ago and love it. Coolest thing in my in my arcade other than the games themselves. Build quality and packaging was A+++. Huge THANK YOU to j_m_!

#154 3 years ago

2015.dec.21 update
    all of the remaining acrylic frames are due in today however it's raining right now and the rain is not expecting to let up until after 4pm, so I've re-routed the parcel to be held at UPS (instead of sitting out in the rain for 6+ hours

hopefully, I can just swing by on the way home from work and pick them up. based on the number of run-dmd pc boards that I have in my possession, I will send out invoice pm's today. I will try my best to complete assembly of all of the clocks that I have everything for and post them out prior to the xmas holiday <fingers crossed>

the remaining run-dmd pc boards hit NY over the weekend, but I'm not sure how long they will sit in customs before moving along. my guess is that I won't see them until early next week, so the last few orders may not ship out until just prior to the new year.

#155 3 years ago

Received mine today. Awsome. Thanks j_m!!

#156 3 years ago

the UPS driver never removed the parcel containing the acrylic from his truck today, so it looks like the earliest that I will be able to collect it is tomorrow

#157 3 years ago

2015.dec.22 update
    I was able to retrieve the acrylic late last night from the local UPS depot and I have enough components to assemble the remaining clocks. invoices for those individuals have been sent via pm

I'm hoping to complete assembly of the clocks by tomorrow evening and ship out on/by xmas eve at the latest <fingers crossed>

once I receive the final shipment of run-dmd pc boards, I will take care of the last 2 people on the list and the 3 people that I just added

#158 3 years ago

2015.dec.23 update
    4 clocks (and a frame kit) were boxed up and posted yesterday and I completed assembly of 3 more last night. those 3 have already been boxed and will ship today. that covers everyone from the initial 2 lists (except the january people) that have paid.

going forward, I will not be accepting orders for the EXP ONE board w/ the wireless adapter. I'm not exactly sure what the issue is, but I've had a 25+% failure rate on the wireless receiver/transmitters (2 out of 7) which is something that I really don't want to mess around and spend time troubleshooting.

I've reached out to linus (limpan here on pinside) about this and am waiting back for a response. I do not plan on altering my design for the frames, so the 2 sets of mounting holes for the EXP ONE board will continue to be available for those of you that want to dis-assemble your clock and add the board with its wireless capabilities yourself.

the last batch of run-dmd pc boards is now in limbo having been mis-sorted and taking a detour in greensboro, nc after arriving stateside in new york. assembly will continue once those boards decide to arrive

December 22, 2015 , 6:47 pm Arrived at USPS Facility GREENSBORO, NC 27495
    Your item arrived at our USPS facility in GREENSBORO, NC 27495 on December 22, 2015 at 6:47 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

December 20, 2015 , 8:01 am Processed Through Sort Facility ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)
    Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

December 19, 2015 , 1:12 am Processed Through Sort Facility STOCKHOLM UTRIKES, SWEDEN

December 18, 2015 , 3:47 pm Acceptance SWEDEN

#159 3 years ago

2015.dec.24 update
    all clocks (that have been paid for) have been shipped. thank you everyone for your support in this project and happy holidays to all

#160 3 years ago

Santa just delivered mine, and it's awesome. Thank you Santa's little (?) helper j_m_, and merry Xmas

#161 3 years ago

Any chance of ordering a clock for 2016?

#162 3 years ago
    Quoted from KBRI1700:

Any chance of ordering a clock for 2016?

I would like to know this as well. I think one of these would look FANTASTIC in my gameroom! Thank you.

#163 3 years ago

I'm in as well if there is another run.

#164 3 years ago

another run will happen, but probably not until late march of 2016

I'm burned out from sourcing and coordinating everything and need to spend the next 3 months cataloging goods that I want to sell @ MGC

#165 3 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

another run will happen, but probably not until late march of 2016
    I'm burned out from sourcing and coordinating everything and need to spend the next 3 months cataloging goods that I want to sell @ MGC

You've done a great service for the community, j_m. Relax. You've earned it.

#166 3 years ago

Got mine on Christmas Eve. Thank you! Cooler than I could have imagined.!

Chris

#167 3 years ago

I just saw this product on what did Santa bring you for Christmas.
    I guess the list is closed but if another run happens please add me to the list. Or if anyone wants to sell one please PM me. Thanks, Mike

#168 3 years ago

Add me also for future runs. Thanks

#169 3 years ago

I'm in for future runs also . Thank you

#170 3 years ago

A question for other owners (and the manufacturer I suppose.

I am mounting my RunDMD in an area where I won't really be able to access the power button. I prefer to not unplug it all the time, but is there any harm in keeping it on continually? Is there a "life expectancy" for any of the components?

Just want to insure that if I keep it on all the time I am not doing a bad thing.

Chris

#171 3 years ago

A clock you leave turned on all the time? Heavens to Murgatroyd!

I watched the one guy's video, and apparently you can tell the clock to blank the display during certain hours, like overnight. That ought to help it last.

But nothing has an infinite life expectancy...

#172 3 years ago

Wow Love it j_m_! When you start another batch I'd like to join the list!

#173 3 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

A question for other owners (and the manufacturer I suppose.
    I am mounting my RunDMD in an area where I won't really be able to access the power button. I prefer to not unplug it all the time, but is there any harm in keeping it on continually? Is there a "life expectancy" for any of the components?
    Just want to insure that if I keep it on all the time I am not doing a bad thing.
    Chris

Here is what was said a page back and it looks like the panels are good for ~100,000 hours which breaks down to about 10-11 years if it's on 24/7....

Quoted from Jvspin:

I've had my watt meter on it for the last 4 days. Power consumption on medium setting was 3.7W/hr, which would be about 2.7kW/mo.
    So less than $1/mo to keep it running 24/7.
    Note: this is the original clock with original software.
    Edit: I have the multi color displays, so it's running in the orangish color.

#174 3 years ago

Thanks fattrain, I totally missed that.

I think I will keep it on

Chris

#175 3 years ago

Mine has been on 24/7 since I mounted it a couple months ago. No problems so far.

#176 3 years ago

final update for this thread
    the hardware components have been ordered for the next round of 24 clocks to be produced in april 2016

please reply to the thread (listed below) if you would like to be added to the list for the next round of run-dmd clocks
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-assembled-clocks-batch-4#post-2879719

#177 3 years ago

Awesome addition to my game room. Thanks! Highly recommend.

#178 3 years ago

This clock really is AMAZING! My favorite three features are: it's big, animations appear randomly and B/W and Stern dots are part of the same mix.

Found the 4 buttons to set time and menu is easy to read. Have a few questions that have been asked but hoping the answers can be consolidated here.

1) Is it possible to switch the time off and only see the animations? My recollection is that this isn't possible for a technical reason.

2) Is there a way to change how frequently images are displayed? My memory is that only one speed was possible due to how clock functions.

3) How many images are currently stored when the clock ships and is it possible to download a future file with more?

#179 3 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

This clock really is AMAZING! My favorite three features are: it's big, animations appear randomly and B/W and Stern dots are part of the same mix.
    Found the 4 buttons to set time and menu is easy to read. Have a few questions that have been asked but hoping the answers can be consolidated here.
    1) Is it possible to switch the time off and only see the animations? My recollection is that this isn't possible for a technical reason.
    2) Is there a way to change how frequently images are displayed? My memory is that only one speed was possible due to how clock functions.
    3) How many images are currently stored when the clock ships and is it possible to download a future file with more?

You can change the animation speed in the menu. I saw that when going through the menu on mine.

I got the last run, and I think I was told it had 1500 animations in it.

I have not noticed an option to turn off the clock portion and run only the animations.

Chris

#180 3 years ago
    Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

You can change the animation speed in the menu. I saw that when going through the menu on mine.
    I got the last run, and I think I was told it had 1500 animations in it.
    I have not noticed an option to turn off the clock portion and run only the animations.
    Chris

Found the speed adjustment for animations.

Counted 1335 images loaded. Some of the most current games included ACDC, MET, ST and TWD. There's a lot of animations, but some good ones are missing.

#181 3 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

1) Yes: Select CLOCK STYLE ”PINBALL” (or other ”shaded” type clock style), then set CLOCK SHADE to minimum. With those option set, the time will no longer be displayed.

2) Yes: Select FREQUENCY from the ANIMATIONS menu (if you have a SD-card with animations loaded)

3) The Run-DMD board is sold (from run-dmd.com) without any animations pre-loaded. The SD-card is primarily used for saving settings, custom message, etc. Support for animations are an additional feature that has been incorporated into Run-DMD on request for specific purposes, rumors states that SD-card images with animations (compatible with Run-DMD) can be found pretty easy.

#182 3 years ago

Just a shout out to J_M and Limpan

Limpan,
    Well done, I love watching this thing. My whole family agrees with me but my wife has shot down the idea of hanging it over the TV. The main difference between the Run-DMD and the TV is that there is always something interesting to watch on the Run-DMD.

J_M,
    Thanks for pulling together the frame kits with the excellent build instructions. Your efforts made this a fun and easy project for me.

Also a big thanks to all those who have contributed 'content' to this project.

Any chance of a Color-Run-DMD?

#183 3 years ago
    Quoted from fnosm:

Any chance of a Color-Run-DMD?

That would be amazing...

#184 3 years ago

the only way that a color run-dmd clock could happen would be to:
    - manually color all of the frames for the 1,500+ animations currently supported to save the [new] image information
    - potentially change the design of the current run-dmd pc board (my guess is that there's not enough space inside of the current PICchip to support all of the color information)
    - change out and use rgb display panels (rendering all previous owners a bit miffed)

hate to be a debbie-downer, but I just don't see it happening ever

#185 3 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

the only way that a color run-dmd clock could happen would be to:
    - manually color all of the frames for the 1,500+ animations currently supported to save the [new] image information
    - potentially change the design of the current run-dmd pc board (my guess is that there's not enough space inside of the current PICchip to support all of the color information)
    - change out and use rgb display panels (rendering all previous owners a bit miffed)
    hate to be a debbie-downer, but I just don't see it happening ever

jc1_(resized).jpg

#186 3 years ago

It would make more sense to do a color version that runs on a cheap tablet.

The DMD makes the clock!

Edit: Hey, my thousandth post!

1 week later
    #187 3 years ago

I'm clearing out inventory of left-overs before I plunge into the batch no 4 orders in april

I have 3 frame kits (v5 design) available for purchase. the kits include the acrylic frames (front and rear), (1) long and (1) short ribbon cable (to accommodate my placement for the run-dmd pc board), and all of the hardware necessary to assemble the clock (nuts, screws, stand-offs, washers) using these instructions:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-frame-v50-assembly-instructions

first pm'd, first served
    the price (per kit) is $100 (includes shipping within the continental united states). if you reside outside of the usa, I can still ship there, but there will be a charge for shipping

2 kits w/o the PIC chip cut-out (but the rear panel is a nicer matte acrylic on the outside)
    1 kit w/ the PIC chip cut-out (rear panel is glossy black on both sides)

I also have one extra, new power supply available. its price is $20 (including shipping within the continental united states)

edit:
    all kits and the extra power supply have been spoken for

#188 3 years ago

2016.jan.25 update
    about a month ago there was a pinsider that had requested 2 sets of hardware, but I cannot seem to locate that pm as to who it was

please send me another pm at your earliest convenience, I have the kits all bagged up and ready to ship

3 weeks later
    #189 3 years ago

If you open up the list I would love one of these!

1 month later
    #190 3 years ago

Also add me to the new list.

#191 3 years ago

Is there an updated file for an older clock? and how would you go about updating it?

thanks

Mk

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 239.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Tilttopper
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 248.85
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    PinWoofer
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Ghostbusters Pro Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 229.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 24.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    There are 191 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside