(Topic ID: 142953)

run-dmd - assembled clocks v3 - balance (shipping this week)

By j_m_

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 191 posts
  • 55 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by shlockdoc
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 18 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

jc1_(resized).jpg
    1449790074410-890690540.jpg
    LED_panel_specs.jpg
    IMG_1364.jpg
    IMG_1353.jpg
    IMG_1355.jpg
    IMG_1358.jpg
    EXP_ONE_bottom.jpg
    EXP_ONE_top.jpg
    run-dmd_frame_v3.jpg
    v3_mockup_02.jpg
    v3_mockup_01.jpg
    1447845229449266006184.jpg
    1447845120372-763354090.jpg
    IMG_12641.jpg
    acrylic_frame_rear_v3.jpg

There are 191 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 3 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I will also be placing orders this week for the remaining LED panels, power supplies and acrylic frames to satisfy *all* of the people on the waiting list.

#102 3 years ago

This is super cool to see it all come together j_m_. Thanks for posting progress pics.

#103 3 years ago

<- Unlucky 13.

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ed209:

<- Unlucky 13.

not so fast. a surprise parcel arrived in the mail tonight containing 4 more run-dmd pc boards and 3 more EXP ONE w/ wireless key fobs apparently linus is now playing the role of the chrimbo gift-giving elf as I did not expect these this quickly

I'm now limited by hardware (stand-offs and bolts for those that ordered the EXP ONE option). I will continue to accommodate people in the order the list was created, but until I receive more of the short (16mm) stand-offs and the 12mm M3 bolts, I will only be able to ship 15 or 16 clocks.

one clock completed tonight so far. everything looks like it fits good, however I need a longer length ribbon cable since those shipped with the last batch of displays were a far cry (rush reference anyone?) from the advertised length. I've ordered some connectors and some 50mm length ribbon cables to make my own, but they won't arrive until next week at the earliest.

IMG_1353.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1364.JPG

final update for the evening:
    I have 2 [extra] rear panels that were cut from the matte black acrylic (instead of the glossy). these feature a cut-out for the ICSP header, but not the entire PIC chip. the first 2 people on the list (reservation or waiting) that would like this rear panel option can upgrade for no extra charge (the matte acrylic costs slightly more).

please respond to this thread to let the others know that you have taken one.

ps
    I also placed the order for the remaining acrylic tonight

#105 3 years ago

I'll take a matte black one.

#106 3 years ago

Ill take a matte black as well

#107 3 years ago

matte black rear panels have gone to huo and redketchup (going in order by received pm's and/or posts here)

#108 3 years ago

2015.dec.01 update
    7 hours after taking delivery, 48 panels of acrylic have been carefully separated from the backing paper (ready for assembly) and 4 clocks assembled and tested.
    those clocks will be packaged up tonight and ready to ship (once I receive shipping information from the people who have not yet responded to my pm's)
    assembly will continue tonight and tomorrow until I run out of data cables that are long enough to run from the LED panel header to the run-dmd board. for no rhyme or reason, the length of the cables that I have received with each batch of panels has varied from 10cm to 20 cm in length. I have been trying to use the shortest lengths to join the 2 panels together, but unfortunately those shorter data cables outnumber the longer ones by about 4

I have ordered enough connectors and ribbon cable to construct my own to fulfill all of the remaining orders but of course this will delay shipping some of the clocks until they are received

more run-dmd boards were shipped out yesterday (from sweden) and I will be placing a final order to secure enough boards to cover the remaining slots of the waiting list.

#109 3 years ago

Get some sleep!

#110 3 years ago

hehe. feels like a 2nd job again

and in the immortal words of danny glover, "I'm getting too old for this sh*t!" but then again, I brought this upon myself (before aurich steps in and points that out)

#111 3 years ago

ps
    when shipping the clocks, I am leaving the protective paper on the outside of both the front and rear acrylic frames so that they are not scratched in transit. you probably will not need to remove the paper from the rear frame (since it is never seen).

to remove the paper from the front, transparent gray frame, using a 4mm allen wrench, remove the 6 bolts and then peel the protective paper off. replace the frame, re-secure the bolts and enjoy

#112 3 years ago

to all:
    please look at the first post in this thread. if your name does not appear in bold, that means that I still do not have your mailing information (making it hard to calculate the actual shipping costs and send you an invoice).

if I do not receive this information by the end of the week and your number is up, I will temporarily skip and move to the next person in line to ship out what I have currently assembled and ready for sale.

if you are on the list but no longer wish to receive a clock, please pm and inform me.

#113 3 years ago

2015.dec.02 update
    more clocks were assembled last night and invoices sent this morning. I think that I have enough of the long ribbon cables to assemble another 3-4 clocks (potentially 5-6 if the other, slightly shorter cables are still long enough

clock assembly will continue tonight and tomorrow if necessary to build and ship as many as the ribbon cable shortage will allow for. fingers crossed that new cables will arrive next week so that I can attempt to get most of you taken care of prior to the xmas holiday.

#114 3 years ago

Please add the exp board for mine

#115 3 years ago

Is the exp board really worth adding?

#116 3 years ago

You should have a PM with my address.

#117 3 years ago

Wow, your work here is impressive. Love the updates. Wasn't expecting that.

Read through your posts and found that BOLD text means you have address info so invoices can be sent out including shipping. Just sent you a PM with my shipping info.

Thank you! Can't wait to show off your clock when it arrives.

#118 3 years ago

2015.dec.03 update
    (just because MnHotRod loves updates

4 more clocks were shipped/delivered yesterday and I completed assembly of 3 more last night. hoping to finish assembling 4 more tonight which should allow me to invoice the remaining people in the first group of 16 tomorrow (and hopefully ship them before the weekend)

#119 3 years ago

I love mine. It's the coolest.... Thanks, JM!

#120 3 years ago

Got mine!! Way cool.....let's see some pics of where you mounted yours

Still trying to decide where to put mine....

#121 3 years ago

PM sent with my address.

Thanks!

#122 3 years ago

2015.dec.04 update
    3 more clocks shipped & 3 more completed last night. I'm hoping to box up and ship 2 of them this evening (before I head off for league nite) and the remaining clocks on saturday.

I'm currently waiting on the remaining displays, power supplies and run-dmd boards to arrive before I can proceed with the remaining people on the lists.

note:
    it appears that the stud position for the newer displays has been moved (something that was not communicated to me by the seller <arrggh!> so the stand-offs mounting them to the rear panels are now slightly cocked but there's nothing I can do since I've had all of the acrylic laser-cut

edit:
    all of the components for the remaining orders have been ordered and are in route with delivery dates ranging from dec.07 thru jan.04

#123 3 years ago

As always , thanks for the update!

#124 3 years ago

2015.dec.05 update
    all orders from the reservation list (that responded) have now been shipped

I am currently out of enough components to assemble any more clocks but as previously noted, everything for the balance of the waiting list has been ordered and is currently en route.

#125 3 years ago

I received my run dmd clock yesterday and was extremely happy to find that it arrived undamaged and in perfect condition. No doubt due in great part to the careful packaging by j_m_.

Thanks again j_m_ for taking the time to offer your services in sourcing all the needed parts and assembling these absolutely fantastic Clocks for sale to forum members.

I have not mounted my clock on the wall yet and was wondering what others are doing regarding the mounting of the power " brick". I ve read where some who have access to behind the wall , just poke a hole in the sheetrock and mount the brick behind the wall.

Does anyone think it is possible to just add slightly longer spacers and mount the power brick on the inside of the rear plexiglass panel behind the LED panels? Or do you think that the brick may generate too much heat and possibly damage the LED panels?

Just trying to get some ideas on other mounting options for the brick.

#126 3 years ago

Wow. Just...wow. Received mine today and after plugging it in I can't stop watching it. This has to be one of the coolest pinball related items I have ever purchased.

#127 3 years ago

Amazing. Larger than I was expecting! Can sound effects be added?
    I like my arcade to be in attract mode.

#128 3 years ago

I left my clock on the entire weekend and loved it! I couldn't stop staring. It did get me thinking though, is there any drawbacks (besides power consumption) to leaving it on all the time? Any idea how long those panels e.t.c. will last?

#129 3 years ago

2015.dec.08 update
    - 20 more power supplies arrived yesterday and 32 more LED display panels (enough for 16 clocks) are due today
    - I've received all of the necessary nylon stand-offs and washers for the remaining 16 clocks and 100 pcs 89 pcs* of the 16-pin connectors (to fabricate my own [longer] ribbon cables)

en route:
    - 8 run-dmd pc boards, 4 EXP ONE boards and wireless remotes are on their way (with the balance of 11 run-dmd pc boards due once the webstore restocks)
    - hardware (nuts & screws) for another 20-24 clocks is slated to arrive between dec.18 and jan.04

I believe that I have enough remaining hardware bits to assemble 1-2 clocks (w/o the EXP ONE boards) once the LED display panels w/ the 10 pcs. of 50 cm long ribbon cables arrive tonight.

*NOTE: only 89 pcs. of the ribbon cable connectors were usable due to poor packaging and the company sending me already crimped connectors

#130 3 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

I left my clock on the entire weekend and loved it! I couldn't stop staring. It did get me thinking though, is there any drawbacks (besides power consumption) to leaving it on all the time? Any idea how long those panels e.t.c. will last?

here are the specs for the panels according to the page on aliexpress:
    LED panel specs.jpg

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Indoor-F3-75-P4-75-RG-Dual-color-LED-dot-matrix-module-304-152mm-64-32/1721916462.html

#131 3 years ago

I've had my watt meter on it for the last 4 days. Power consumption on medium setting was 3.7W/hr, which would be about 2.7kW/mo.

So less than $1/mo to keep it running 24/7.

Note: this is the original clock with original software.

Edit: I have the multi color displays, so it's running in the orangish color.

#132 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jvspin:

I've had my watt meter on it for the last 4 days. Power consumption on medium setting was 3.7W/hr, which would be about 2.7kW/mo.
    So less than $1/mo to keep it running 24/7.
    Note: this is the original clock with original software.

I'll check JM's when I get home. I'm curious about leaving it on as well.

#133 3 years ago

Please report back as I too was wondering about leaving on 24/7...

#134 3 years ago

Is there a waiting list to get on the waiting list?

#135 3 years ago
    Quoted from zucot:

Is there a waiting list to get on the waiting list?

without being mean, "no"

I'm currently burned out from doing these 2 batchs of clocks as well as trying to work on other projects (and let's not forget the holiday season). there are a lot of up-front costs that have to be fronted in order to run these in batch sizes that make sense, but there's also a lot of logistic work to put everything together.

I will probably run another batch in 2016 (as I've already stated to numerous people), but sending me a pm asking to be put on an already closed list will not gain you any points

#136 3 years ago

2015.dec.09 update
    3 more clocks assembled using all of the remaining hardware that I currently had. once I receive the remaining hardware (and run-dmd pc boards) which have all been ordered, I should be able to satisfy all of the people on the waiting list. fingers crossed that it arrives soon

pm's have been sent out to the next 3 people in line

#137 3 years ago

I received my clock yesterday. How awesome! Thanks.

#138 3 years ago

j_m,

I sent you my shipping information but still don't see my name in bold. Please let me know if there is anything else you need.

Thanks
    Ed

#139 3 years ago

ed:
    I've updated/corrected the list. you're good to go

#140 3 years ago

Wish I would have seen this thread earlier!

Awesome product!

Hope you make another batch in 2016!

#141 3 years ago

j_m,

Resubmitted shipping information as I no longer see my name in bold. Please let me know if there is anything else you need. Don't want to miss out, as this will be a Christmas gift to myself this year.

#143 3 years ago

1449790074410-890690540.jpg

Clock installed. You rock sir!

#144 3 years ago

2015.dec.11 update
    I received a few more run-dmd pc boards 2 days ago, however I'm currently out of arcylic frames (front panels) again (I was shorted 6 panels in the last order due to material shortages).

I just checked the status of my order and it appears that ponoko.com is out of the grey tinted material (front panels) yet again

on the plus side, all of the hardware (screws and nuts) arrived last night. I will keep everyone apprised once I receive the acrylic and can start assembling more clocks.

#145 3 years ago

This is the way to provide updates, I wish Stern/PPS/JJP/et al would learn from j_m_ - just awesome!

#146 3 years ago

2015.dec.12 update
    heh. found two more front panels tucked behind the stack of rear acrylic, so two more clocks have been completed and the next people on the list invoiced.

fingers crossed that ponoko.com receives their gray tinted acrylic and my frames are shipped out this week (along with the missing front panels from the previous order)

I currently have 3 more run-dmd boards on hand with another 8 (and 4 EXP ONE boards w/ wireless remotes) on the way. that should take care of everyone on the waiting list.

#147 3 years ago

Received mine in perfect shape. Just took a couple days before I could get time to open it up and try it out. Kids love it. Now I just need to figure out where to hang or put it.

Thanks so much for doing this.

#148 3 years ago

2015.dec.14 update
    arrived today:
    (8) pcs run-dmd pc boards
    (4) pcs EXP ONE w/ the wireless remote control fob

I reached out to ponoko.com to try and get a new estimated delivery date (the acrylic for 14 front and 12 rear panels were due today, however it appears that that gray tinted acrylic is still on back order

3 more clocks were partially assembled over the weekend. I will continue to continue to assemble as much as I can until the acrylic order arrives, then complete the process and invoice the next group of people on the waiting list.

edit:
    heard back from ponoko.com. gray tinted acrylic is due to arrive tomorrow. according to my rep, my order(s) should also ship out tomorrow <fingers crossed>

#149 3 years ago

Got mine j_m_ nice work! Runs like a champ. Will hang it tomorrow. Thanks again!

#150 3 years ago

2015.dec.16 update
    the acrylic from ponoko.com shipped last night. I should receive it early next week and be able to complete assembly of clocks for all of the outstanding wait list people.

with the holidays fast approaching, there are no guarantees, but I will attempt to ship the remaining 10 outstanding clocks out prior to the new year

invoices will be sent early next week

edit:
    I've cleaned up the 1st post, making it a bit easier to read (the 'completed/shipped' have been consolidated and moved under those still outstanding

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 28.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 430.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 115.00
    Playfield - Other
    Great American Pinball
    $ 18.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 60.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 1,400.00
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 299.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    ...redshiftLED
    $ 44.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Mods for your pinballs
    There are 191 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside