Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by j_m_
  • Topic is favorited by 34 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    20160414_102301_(resized).jpg
    MGC_run-dmd_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpg
    stern_display_run-dmd_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j_m_.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

beginning the week of April 11 2016: Stern LED display panel Run-DMD clock kits will be available

after 2 months of design tweaks, I'm happy to announce that I now have an easy-to-assemble kit available to turn your extra, low voltage LED Stern displays into Run-DMD clocks.
    for those of you that have upgraded the original all red (or green or blue) LED display panels (part no.s 520-5052-05, 520-5052-15, 502-6811-00) to a ColorDMD solution and have a perfectly good, unused panel lying about, this is the kit for you

the kit includes everything you will need, including an allen key wrench for assembly EXCEPT THE STERN DISPLAY

YOU NEED TO SUPPLY THE STERN DISPLAY YOURSELF

kit contents:
    - Run-DMD EDGE board (x 1) [customized with a lower profile 90° right angle 2-pin molex connector for power]
    - 8 amp, 5 volt power supply and a/c cord
    - laser cut acrylic panels
    front panel (grey tint) (x 1)
    rear panel (glossy back front side, matte black rear w/ cut-outs to access the ICSP port and lithium ion battery) (x 1)
    snap-in legs to position the clock on a counter surface at a 23.5° angle (dual sided glossy black/matte black) (x 2)
    - custom power cable terminated with 2-pin/4-pin molex connectors (to transfer power from the run-dmd EDGE board to the back of the stern DMD display panel) (x 1)
    - custom length 14-pin ribbon data cable (x 1)
    - M3 x 8mm stainless steel flanged button head hex screws (x 14)
    - M3 x 20mm black oxide button head hex screws (x 6)
    - M3 x 7mm round nylon spacers (x 6)
    - M3 x 12mm hex threaded nylon spacers (x 4)
    - M3 x 20mm hex threaded nylon spacers (x 6)
    - M3 x 30mm hex threaded nylon spacers (x 6)*

- M3 short arm allen key (x 1)

* optional use
    for those wishing to hang the clock on the wall with a display that features a restraint clip (rev 3 boards), a set of longer hex spacers are also included in the kit

average assembly time: 10-15 minutes

price: $300 plus shipping

planning on attending MGC (the Midwest Gaming Classic) in Brookfield, WI during April 8-10?
    I will have a limited number of kits with me for sale

assembly instructions can be found here:
    http://www.phosphors.com/run-dmd/run-dmd%20clock%20instructions%20rev1.1.pdf

photo from MGC
    MGC_run-dmd_(resized).jpgMGC_run-dmd_(resized).jpg

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Hey will this work on my High Voltage Stern Display? That is the one I put 12v into and fried every chip on it?

rob, remind me to slap you upside the head next time I see you at clay's

#8 8 years ago

picture of another early adopter's clock, courtesy of scott freeman

a huge thanks to scott for loaning me a stern display while I was working on this project. without him, this clock wouldn't have happened until I open my metallica monster premium which is coming up on the 1-year anniversary of still being NIB. I'm sorry, john borg
    stern_display_run-dmd_(resized).jpgstern_display_run-dmd_(resized).jpg

#12 8 years ago

the clock kits will be available for purchase starting monday, april 11 2016 (for those of you that bypassed that small detail

if you plan on attending MGC, I will have 5 with me to sell.

more acrylic parts and power supplies are inbound (which is why sales do not begin until april 11th

1 week later
    #13 7 years ago

I have 3 kits still available from MGC

the price is $300 plus shipping. pm me your mailing address to calculate shipping costs if you are interested in obtaining them

-j.m.

#14 7 years ago

I believe that the 3 kits that I had are all gone (just awaiting payment on the 3rd kit), but I will have acrylic for 10 more kits arriving tomorrow (which is why I put an initial sale date of today up 2 weeks ago

#15 7 years ago

2016.apr.12 update
    the acrylic arrived today. I just need to make up a few cables and 10 more kits will be available for purchase. the cables should be complete by tomorrow

#16 7 years ago

2016.apr.13 update
    I completed making the cables last night and now have 10 2 kits currently available, all boxed up and ready to ship

edit 2016.apr.22:
    down to 2 kits in stock

1 week later
    #20 7 years ago
    Quoted from drjeff112:

I want one of these for my desk at work. PM sent. Please take my money

purchase 2, they're small

#21 7 years ago

2016.apr.22 update
    a few people have inquired if I would be able to offer the new stern sized kits as a completed clock w/ the stern LED panel included.

I've sourced a few panels and will now be able to offer up a completed clock as a "turn-key" item (simply connect the power supply and hook it up) just like the larger clocks as long as I'm able to source displays.

the cost for a complete, stern-sized clock is $450 plus shipping.

pm me if you are interested in purchasing them

1 week later
    #22 7 years ago

2016.may.02 update
    if anyone is planning on attending the VFW open house, I will be at the show on both friday and saturday (may 13th & 14th).

I will have both kits and either completed stern sized clocks or kits w/ the stern displays included in the kits with me

current stock level:
    11 10 kits

1 week later
    #25 7 years ago

I have pm'ed both of you with my email info as well

1 week later
    #28 7 years ago

I currently have 3 kits and 3 displays on hand and ready to ship. parts for another 10 kits are on the way with delivery slated for the end of this week

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bsquared:

Kit arrived today, assembly was a breeze. It's even better in person! Thanks j_m_

that didn't take long at all to get to you. I'm impressed with the postal service some times

#32 7 years ago

it's my birthday and in honor of this less than auspicious occasion, I will ship any stern size clock kits purchased this weekend for free (while supplies on hand last and provided that you reside in the continental united states)
    for those international buyers, I will take $25 off of the total price

pm me with your complete mailing information for a total amount due

this offer is valid between today, may 20th and sunday, may 22nd 2016

kits on hand: 12
    displays on hand: 3

pricing
    kit w/o a display: $300
    kit w/ a display: $450

#34 7 years ago

today's the last day to get in on the free shipping offer. I'll even go $425 for kits w/ a display for the last day of the sale

kits on hand: 9
    displays on hand: 3

pricing
    kits w/o a display: $300
    kits w/ a display: $425

2 weeks later
    #37 7 years ago

questions answered (hopefully):

Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Are these still available for those of us that already have a display?

yep, I still have a few available for purchase

Is there a way to rotate the power plug so it comes off the bottom instead of the side? I'd be hanging it on a wall so it would just be easier to deal with that way.

I have made a slight alteration to the design, sliding the the run-dmd pc board in as much as I could which I believe is enough so that the power cable doesn't hang out like the power cable on the initial kits did. I ordered a bunch right-angle adapters to include with the kits, however the barrel end appear to be just the slightest bit oversized and subsequently I could not get them to fit in the power socket on the run-dmd board. I can include one with the kit if you would like to try and alter it to get it to work yourself (but I will not be responsible for any damage that you incur)

What does this mean? Can I just hang it on a could screws like I would a picture?
    "* optional use
    for those wishing to hang the clock on the wall with a display that features a restraint clip (rev 3 boards), a set of longer hex spacers are also included in the kit"

yes. to my knowledge, there are at least 3 revisions of the stern displays. version 1 does not have the retention clips, so you can use the shorter 20mm length stand-offs.
    for the rev 3 boards (w/ the retention clips), you need to use the 30mm stand-offs if you want to hang the display on the wall like a framed picture

Any upcoming sales or free shipping promos?

I ran a sale about 3 weekends ago during the month of may for my birthdate. sorry that you missed it

1 week later
    #40 7 years ago

2016.16.june update
    3 kits, 1 stern display left in stock

1 month later
    #45 7 years ago

zucot:
    I received your pm, but thought that your problem was with the larger clock and dual color displays. I had no idea you were talking about an actual stern display unit. I've never personally experienced what you and robertwinter are both describing (and haven't heard anything from any of the 20+ other people who have purchase this kit from me

to both of you, (try the following):
    hold the C button down (2nd from the far right) while powering up and then re-select the display type (w/ the D button). it's possible that something got messed up in the on-board settings with the run-dmd pc board.

I'll reach out to limpan (linus) and see if he's experienced this, and if so, has a solution

1 week later
    #46 7 years ago

zucot & RobertWinter update:
    the problem is with your stern LED panels. the issue being a defective pixel on one or more of the 8x8 blocks. I had one of the people that I sold a complete kit w/ a brand new display experience the exact same issue. he returned the panel for a refund, but I have since replaced the block with a replacement that I purchased from a stern distributor.

if you have the proper tools, a defective block can be replaced in about 15 mins. I use a hakko FR300 de-soldering gun to make short work of de-soldering the existing block.

robert:
    you say that the problem goes away if you leave the display unplugged for a while, but I'll bet it doesn't. what you are seeing is the lines when they are a bit brighter and stand out, but I'll bet that even after leaving it unplugged for a while, if you turn it back on (with the lights out or dimmed), you will still be able to make out the column(s) where all but one pixel is illuminated

here's a thread on the issue:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sterns-red-led-dmd-anyone-have-issues

1 year later
    #52 6 years ago

sorry about that. try this link:
    http://www.phosphors.com/run-dmd/run-dmd%20stern%20sized%20assembly%20instructions%20rev1.1.pdf

edit:
    doh! didn't see your 2nd post since it rolled over to a new page, but I see that you've found them

4 years later
    #55 1 year ago

better late than never. I've located the instructions and have copied them back to the link above

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j_m_.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-clock-kits-for-stern-led-panels?tu=j_m_ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.