(Topic ID: 122675)

RUN-DMD - bulk purchase for frames (north america)

By j_m_

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 144 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Thor-NL
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0932[1].JPG
    20150425_233651.jpg
    DSC00407.JPG
    DSC00408.JPG
    DSC00411.JPG
    DSC00412.JPG
    Run-DMD-01.JPG
    005.JPG
    008.JPG
    image.jpg
    rundmdframe2.JPG
    rundmdframe1.JPG
    IMG_3878.jpg
    IMG_3876.jpg
    CAM00483.jpg
    CAM00482.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider syco54645.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 9 years ago

I would be down for $33 for a set.

1 week later
    #22 9 years ago

I am still in for it.

#41 9 years ago

Wahoo. I am on the list!

1 week later
    #62 9 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I received the sample frames from ponoko.com yesterday and everything looks great. I'm going to go ahead and order the rest of the frames today and should have them prior to receiving the rest of the hardware (given that most of it is coming from overseas).
    phillymadison:
    the reservation list was strictly for frame sets (18 positions). given that I'm not looking to make money on these (merely provide a service), I have no intention of tying up over $3,500 of my own personnel funds to source 20+ complete kits.
    in addition, with all of the trouble that I've had trying to bulk order the displays from ali express (along with having to provide and cut wire long enough to join the 2 display sections horizontally), I'm going to leave that up individuals that want to assemble their own clocks.
    ps
    ali express is using the same size [thin walled] shipping box regardless of whether you order 2, 4 or 6 displays from them. given that, the amount of protection is reduced as the number of displays increases per order. the 4 replacements that I received were packaged very well, but the 6 displays from my 2nd order were package exactly the same as my initial order with very little in the way of protection.
    edit:
    the order with ponoko.com for the remainder of the frames was placed. I should take delivery of them before the end of april (which is still before some of the hardware components are slated to arrive).
    once I have all of the hardware in hand and can calculate the shipping weight of the package, I will be pm'ing those people on the reservation list to get their mailing information and providing a total amount due.

Great, thanks for doing this!

#71 9 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

quick update:
    the bulk of the hardware showed up today and I've just spent the better part of the evening sorting everything into nice ziplock bags (stainless in one bag, stand-offs in a 2nd).
    someone should have me committed thinking that this was a great idea to order 1,000's of screws, nuts and stand-offs and then sort them by hand :/
    the last of the screws are slated to arrive tomorrow (fingers crossed) and I just got an update from ponoko.com that my order shipped today (2 days early) so the acrylic frames should arrive this friday (while I'm at PATZ).
    still outstanding:
    the shortest and longest stand-offs coming from hong kong

Great, thanks for the update! Since we talked about this the deck and shed are almost done so that means moving the game room is next.
    Funny story sunday when putting the t1-11 on the shed my finger was in the wrong place at the wrong time, drove a screw right into it. Had to get a tetanus shot and needed a stitch. The doc gave me the option of glue and I went for that. Less sore today but still hurts like a mother fucker...

#73 9 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

You could have just left the screw in.

Ha yeah, that would have made life pretty easy. haha

#75 9 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

those tetanus shots hurt like hell. it initially inflated my finger like a balloon for all of the liquid that the injected

Oh I had mine in the arm.

#77 8 years ago

USPS gives free boxes. Maybe try there. Flat rate box would probably be the cheapest option.

#78 8 years ago

Well just ordered all of the parts for the clock. Excited to get this thing up and running!

#80 8 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

syco54645:
    the problem is that usps doesn't have anything long enough for the frames. I need something about 26" x 8" in size to box up (or flat fold) the frames.

Damn. I wouldnt be upset if you got 2 boxes and taped them together.

#84 8 years ago
    Quoted from phillymadison:

Since I'm first on the list if there's an extra one
    Instead of cleaning out all the post offices in your area just order packs of 25 for free with free shipping
    https://store.usps.com/store/browse/uspsProductDetailMultiSkuDropDown.jsp?categoryNav=false&navAction=push&navCount=1&productId=P_O_1095&categoryId=shipping-supplies

Wow I did not know that you could do that! That is awesome!!!

#94 8 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

all of the components for the hardware kits have finally arrived and I've got those all bagged up.
    as stated in the previous reply, the quality of the stand-offs (particularly the 30mm long ones) are less than what I expected not having the threaded sections tapped long enough.
    rather than hold up shipping by trying to source a sufficient quantity of washers and including an additional 8 to 16 washers (and increasing the costs), I will start trying to box up the kits and send out invoices.
    assembly tip:
    using a pair of cheap, disposal cloth gloves will help prevent fingerprinting the acrylic panels.

Yes!

#97 8 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

based on these observations, I'm going to hold off shipping the kits until next week (and add 8 washers to the hardware kits free of charge).

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Quoted from j_m_:

the washers were sourced within the u.s.a. and have already shipped

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#99 8 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

given that I'm not the one that originally created this but merely a cog in the great wheel of pinball modding, I wanted to make sure that people don't have to deal with the same problems that I, myself, ran into

It was all tongue in cheek. My stuff just shipped yesterday from Alliedexpress. Crazy how long they are allowed to "process" orders for. At any way I appreciate it. Will we have to cut the screws still or just use the washers?

#101 8 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

there's no way in heck that I'm going to un-package, hand cut and then re-package 200 screws.

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

1 week later
    #112 8 years ago

Just wanted to let you know that I got mine in today. Your house must smell pretty nice unless ponoko smells good. What ever it is somewhere along the lines the frames were near some nice air fresheners . Packaged very well and arrived undamaged.

#114 8 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I do have a couple of these unstopables plug-in air fresheners in my house
    air-so-shimmer-panel1.png

That must be it!

#122 8 years ago

If my damn panels were in I would gladly take a pic. I am excited for the new addon. I guess it will fit our frames. Wonder what all it is!

#128 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Man, I maybe want in on this. I always wanted something like this in the gameroom. When you do the kits, is everything included and just have assemble, plug n play? Do you include the DMD, etc.? All that's needed is to upload our own images? Whats the cost for the complete kit? Thanks

all of this is answered in previous posts.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider syco54645.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-bulk-purchase-for-frames-north-america?tu=syco54645 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.