Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 54 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by j_m_
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150614_172729.jpg
    20150614_172936.jpg
    7.jpg
    10.jpg
    9.jpg
    8.jpg
    6.jpg
    5.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.jpg
    IMG_1245[1].JPG
    IMG_1240[1].JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j_m_.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

truth be told, I mistakenly over ordered much of the hardware for batch no. 1 (which is why I'm offering a 2nd batch).

this batch, while similar to the first, includes the following changes:
    - the back panel has been modified to allow changing the lithium coin battery on the pc board without having to completely dis- and re-assemble the clock. additionally, the pc board has been relocated and rotated so that the buttons are now horizontal and match the menu option positions. the sd card is still accessible from the right side of the clock.
    - the stand-offs (which were brass in the 1st batch) have been replaced with black nylon this time around.
    - the front panel is a darker gray tint than the original batch front panel (much like what FrancoB and Limpan offered on the arcade otaku forum.

just like the 1st batch, I will take reservation position requests (up to 18 places) for the following:
    - hardware kit (nuts, screws, washers and stand-offs) with the acrylic frames (tinted dark gray [front panel], solid black [back panel]).

payment will be due once and only when I have everything in hand, ready to ship.

costs
    the cost for the frame set and associated hardware is: $51 plus shipping (a small increase due to increased laser cutting to include the battery access hole).

RESERVATION LIST IS CLOSED
    hardware kit reservation list (includes rev 2 frames)
    1. mike
    2. chriskd
    3. ddebuss (x2)
    4. mario_1_up
    5. docquest (x2)
    6. 85Txaggie (x2)
    7. Spitfiren8
    8. 3mltibal
    9. swedishc
    10. peclark
    11. Hjbondar
    12. PinballSTAR
    13. Troz
    14. brianbox
    15. marspinball

#10 8 years ago

only 1 slot left and 1 completed clock left

I received the M4x40mm black nylon stand-offs today. with the nylon, the problem of the M3x16mm screws being too long is history. the screws can be threaded all of the way into these stand-offs

edit may.13.2015: all kits are now spoken for

#11 8 years ago

may 18 2015 update
    received another of the nylon stand-offs today and everything that I have is all separated and bagged up. (just waiting on the 30mm stand-offs now)

ponoko.com is currently out of stock of the acrylic but they have another order due in tomorrow, so hopefully it will not affect the estimated delivery date of next week tuesday

#12 8 years ago

may 21 2015 update
    the frames shipped from ponoko.com last night and are slated to arrive next week wednesday, may 27th.

hopefully, the last of the stand-offs will arrive prior to that and I'll be able to send everyone their total amount due along with my paypal account info

#13 8 years ago

may 27 2015 update
    received the frames from ponoko.com today and removed the low adhesive mask from the 22 sheets to separate the individual frame panels and arrange them into sets.

still waiting on the last of the nylon stand-offs from hong kong :/

posted the files for rev 2.0 of the frames (changes made to the rear panel) on ponoko.com. use the following link to download them for free if you would like to produce them yourselves.

this link makes 1 set
    1/8" acrylic (front and rear panels is tinted gray)
    http://www.ponoko.com/show/free-eps-files/preview-and-add/run-dmd-frame-set-rev-2-0-1-set--12433

this link makes 2 sets
    1/8" thick acrylic (front panel is tinted gray, rear panel is solid black)
    http://www.ponoko.com/design-your-own/products/run-dmd-frame-set-rev-2-0-2-sets--12432#

#14 8 years ago

may 28 2015 update
    there is light at the end of the tunnel. the final stand-offs have hit flushing, ny today. hopefully, I'll have them in-hand on saturday and will be able to box up everyone's sets.

if all goes well, look for invoices on saturday or sunday

#15 8 years ago

still waiting on the final stand-offs. no movement since it hit new york last week :/

#16 8 years ago

june 02 2015 update
    well, it's about time! according to tracking, the final stand-offs have made it to my local post office and should be delivered today.

look for invoices with my paypal information this morning. if payment is received by 4pm EST today, your frame kits will post out today. thank you everyone for your patience (once again)!

#17 8 years ago

june 03 2015 IMPORTANT update
    it looks like in my attempt to re-position the pc board, I forgot about the relative position of the data cable on the back of the display directly in front of the pc board and the connectors on the cables that come shipped with the LED display panels are too tall to allow connection to the display and still have enough room to install the panels over the pc board.

there are two ways to fix this issue:
    option 1: what I recommend
    - wait a couple days for me to take delivery of a lower profile [blue] connector that I will mail out free of charge (1 connector for each v2.0 kit purchased) to everyone (see photo below)
    IMG_1240[1].JPGIMG_1240[1].JPG

the lower profile connector is attached by aligning the 2 halves of the connector on the wire and tightening it together (it's like an IDC connector) using a vice. be sure to insulate the pads of your vice (if they are not smooth) with a couple of blocks of wood.

option 2: what I don't recommend
    - or if you don't wish to wait, you can probably also solve this design issue by using a dremel and cutting the smaller 12mm long standoffs to about 8mm in length

#18 8 years ago

here's a picture of the run-dmd assembled using the lower profile connector

IMG_1245[1].JPGIMG_1245[1].JPG

#19 8 years ago

I will be posting an assembly guide late tomorrow, but for those that receive their kits prior and can't hold off attempting to put it together beforehand.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
    DO NOT use any tools to tighten the nylon stand-offs. hand tighten only. otherwise, you'll end up overtightening and stripping them.

I do not have any extra stand-offs in the event that you strip them out!

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

Any frame kits left? I need one.

sorry, sold out. however the frame design plans available for free (see post #13). once you have the acrylic frames, you can supply your own hardware to assemble the clocks

#24 8 years ago

I've created a new topic with assembly instructions for the new version of the frame kits

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-frame-v20-assembly-instructions#post-2491994

#25 8 years ago

I was able to source enough of the low profile IDC connectors yesterday thanks to a good friend. these have all been packaged up and will post out later today.

frame kits that are shipping today will include the low profile connector in a cardboard envelope, located on the outside of the cardboard packaging, under the shipping label.

#26 8 years ago

all remaining kits that have been paid for and the low profile IDC connectors for those kits previously shipped, were posted out today. let me know if you have any issues during the assembly process.

#27 8 years ago

no comments or feedback? someone has got have to received their kits and assembled them by now

#31 8 years ago

the low profile connectors were sent by regular airmail. hopefully they will show up to those of you on the west coast by this weekend at the latest.

with the price of the connector, the mailer and the postage, that was the only way to send them without actually "going into the red" on this project (since I did not charge anything over and above my actual costs on the materials for the kits).

#35 8 years ago

shouldn't have been. I had the post office put the postage on them there. cost me $1.20 per package to mail them out :/

has anyone received the low profile connectors that were mailed out separately in the cardboard envelopes yet?

#37 8 years ago

eddie,
    your parcel was delivered on june 8th

the low profile socket was inside a cardboard mailer taped to the outside of the package underneath the shipping label information.

#42 8 years ago

I will not be offering another run. as explained, it's just too much work and I was literally working for pennies to do this.

if someone else wants to pick up the torch and run with this, have at it
    I think that I spent about 6-8 hours sorting, packaging, cutting/bending/folding the cardboard and entering/printing the mailing information for about a net gain of $50-60. it was fun for the first batch, because I was getting something out of the deal as well.

the designs for the frames (both versions) are available for free on ponoko.com and with the exception of the M3 stand-offs (that connect to the studs on the back side of the displays), you can substitute imperial sized hardware for all of the rest of the components and probably pick just about everything from the local hardware store.

has ANY ONE received the low profile IDC connector that I mailed separately to them in the small cardboard mailers?

#45 8 years ago

these are the same low profile connectors that I sent out to those where it was not included in the kit

ebay.com link: Ansley 16 Pin Gold IDC Female Connector f Ribbon Cable Mounting Buchsenleiste

#47 8 years ago

docquest:
    those are not the low profile connectors. the ones with the strain relief (where the cable wraps back that came installed on the cables bundled with the displays) add an additional 3-4mm to the height of the connector (which was the issue).

the connectors that I mailed everyone are blue in color and 4mm shorter in height. please see the image under step 4 in the new assembly instructions (link below)
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-frame-v20-assembly-instructions

#51 8 years ago

docquest:
    anything's possible.

when you press-fit the low profile socket onto the existing ribbon cable, did you install it as was shown in my v2 assembly instructions? (eg. reverse orientation from the other connector?) when I did it that way, it made it the perfect height on the 3 clocks that I built (for myself and 2 others) using the new frame design

#54 8 years ago

ddebuss:
    you're heading up my way? had I known that I would have just handed off the low profile connectors personally. would have gotten them to you almost as fast.

give me a shout if you want to meet up I've got a graduation party to attend on saturday afternoon, but the rest of my weekend is pretty free and open

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j_m_.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-bulk-purchase-for-frames-north-america-batch-2?tu=j_m_ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.