Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 115 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by j_m_
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

run-dmd white (resized).png
    uline order (resized).JPG
    empire (resized).jpg
    IMG_2140 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2137 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2144 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2142 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2136 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2134 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2133 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2132 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2131 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2130 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2129 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2128 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2127 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j_m_.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

if I can get a minimum of 20 people willing to commit, I will be willing to offer one more run of the full size run-dmd clocks this year

this is the same design that I just recently completed shipping featuring rgb LED panels
    see this thread for more info: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-assembled-clocks-batch-4

the cost is $434 (due to running it as a smaller batch) plus shipping and includes a mostly assembled run-dmd clock, CR2032 lithium watch (coin type) battery, and a 5v, 10amp power supply and ac cord (usa - 3 prong grounded standard). the color for clock is user select-able (via a switch bank). the clock can be operated in one of the following 7 colors (red, green, blue, yellow, purple, teal, white)

the front acrylic panel is transparent gray and the rear panel is black with a matte finish on the exterior (back) side. the rear panel also features a pair of holes (16" on center) so that the clock may be mounted on the wall.

payment will be due only if a minimum of 20 people are [on board] and only when, after all of the components are received, the clocks have been assembled and are ready to ship

reservation list
    Tony1312 [AC] - shipped 2016.dec.12 [intl]

THE LIST IS NOW CLOSED as of 2016.sep.23 I am only ordering enough components to satisfy those people listed

* [AC] - address confirmed

confirmed deliveries:
    rlslick, McKie1, Dukie, GregP, TomGWI, ItsOnlyPinball, MadMaxDad, BOBCADE, Snoopyseb, PopBumperPete, Pinballew, jbovenzi, smokedog, mayboyz, pcb355, venom112, ScottyC, Toucanf16, Pinzilla, attack7, Pocketchange, RetromanIE, bigarn

NOTE: if I do not receive payment or any replies after sending out the invoice pm, your clock will be held for a period of 14 days before I remove your name and offer it up to the next person on the waiting list

please pm me with your complete mailing address information to save us both this step when the clocks have been assembled and are ready to ship

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I assume you can change the color? I know it's monochrome but I saw two different colors on that thread.

from the first post:
    the color for clock is user select-able (via a switch bank). the clock can be operated in one of the following 7 colors (red, green, blue, yellow, purple, teal, white)

Quoted from BOBCADE:

Do these have to hang on the wall or is there a table stand also?

fully assembled with the front piece of acrylic, they are pretty stable to sit on a table or they can be hung on the wall with the 16" on center mounting holes

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from Snoopyseb:

Hi, please add me to your list if you can ship to France. Do you provide a french ac cord and does it work with 230v? Thank you.

yes, I can ship to france. the power supply is a switching one and accommodates 100v-240v, however you will need to source the correct power cord to connect to the power supply and run it to your mains

Quoted from BOBCADE:

Does the run_dmd board allow you to add custom text? It would be really cool to run off a grand champ list of my games on it plus other messages.

yes, see this:
    http://www.phosphors.com/run-dmd/Run-DMD_v3.51_Menu_Navigation.pdf

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

How is it powered?

a 5v, 10amp power supply brick that comes with the clock (as stated in the 1st post)

#27 7 years ago

no, it's a pretty good sized brick measuring about 6" x 3" x 2". it has a 3' cord on one end leading to a 2.5 x 5.0mm plug that connects to the run-dmd [white] board and the other end is a standard 6' 3-prong [grounded] electrical cord

Pmaino must have his hidden in the wall. nice job too!

#32 7 years ago

2016.sep.12 update
    we're closing in on the minimum order number, however the shipping time may be delayed by an additional week once I start ordering the components due the fact that the panel manufacturer appears to be changing the mounting configurations on the fly.

in the last batch of replacement panels that I just received, the mounting nuts (for a portion of the panels) were in completely different positions than all of the previous panels. this is yet, another one of the joys of dealing with international suppliers

I've tweaked the design for the rear panel for a 6th time (adding the 2nd mounting configuration), so that this order doesn't go to waste, but I still want to receive the panels for this batch prior to placing the laser cut acrylic order to ensure that nothing else has changed

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from GregP:

Other than the mounting nut locations, is the panel the same as the last batch (brightness, LED spacing, etc.)?

they look to be exactly the same, with the exception of the mounting nuts. I'm currently attempting to work things out with the vendor to ensure that photos of what will be shipped are sent prior to shipping them so that I'm not surprised at what is received

1 week later
    #38 7 years ago

2016.sep.20 update
    I'm going to close off reservations at the end of the week and move forward with a smaller batch of 20 clocks so that everyone currently on the reservation list gets one and doesn't have to wait an excessive amount of time.

all of the hardware (screws & stand-offs) arrived yesterday and the test batch of acrylic panels to accommodate the new mounting studs on the rgb LED panels is due to arrive today.

if everything looks good (and fits properly), I will go ahead and order the remaining components (LED panels, power supplies and run-dmd pc boards) for 20 clocks and place a final order for the acrylic panels.

#39 7 years ago

2016.sep.23 update
    THE LIST IS NOW CLOSED. I am only ordering enough components to satisfy those people listed in the first post

1 week later
    #40 7 years ago

2016.sep.30 update
    the newly revised acrylic panels appear to be good to go (as long as the mounting studs do not change [again])
    I will be ordering the run-dmd boards and the remaining rgb LED panels once I get back from the chicago expo

delivery should commence around the end of october or beginning of november

#43 7 years ago

if anyone is attending the chicago expo next week, I will have 2 clocks with me (extra components from the last batch). the price is the same ($434), but it would save you the shipping costs. pm me to make arrangements

#45 7 years ago

no takers yet

note:
    this is the exact same clock that those of you that are currently on the reservation list will be getting (rgb LED panels w/ 7 select-able color options)

if you are driving to expo (I'm not sure how well the clock would travel by plane due to its size), and want to obtain yours earlier, this is your chance
    parking lot drug deal ftw!

#47 7 years ago

2016.oct.07 update
    just an update since I've been asked this frequently. the clocks ship mostly assembled, but not completely. the reason for this is a keep the front, transparent grey acrylic panel scratch-free

when you receive your clock, you will need to follow these steps to complete the assembly process
    - peel the protective low tack paper from both sides of the gray transparent acrylic panel
    - attach the 6 nylon stand-offs to the rear panel, using the larger (included) allen key and the M4x12mm stainless screws
    - position the transparent acrylic panel over the front and secure using the M4x12mm black oxide screws

note: be sure to only tighten the screws as much as they need. your goal is just to take up the slack between the screw, acrylic panel and the stand-off and snug the components together. the stand-offs are made of nylon, and they will strip if you over tighten them

a cross-section of this assembly looks like this:
    stainless screw -> rear panel -> hex stand-off -> front panel -> black oxide screw

1 week later
    #48 7 years ago

2016.oct.18.2016
    I'm currently waiting on the run-dmd boards to be assembled before I can place the order for everyone on the list.

once they are available, I will place the order for that component as well as the remaining LED display panels and power supplies

ps
    fingers crossed that I do not experience the same level of defective panels in this batch of displays (one of more LEDs only partially functioning or not working at all). the nearly 25% rate in the last batch set back the delivery of 12 clocks. and with no alternative source, all I can do is verify and stress test, checking every panel before I assemble and ship the clocks

#51 7 years ago
    Quoted from GregP:

With the Run-DMD boards backordered when do you expect you will be shipping finished clocks?

I do not have an ETA, but rest assured as soon as I have information, I will post it here. once I order the run-dmd boards, I need to wait about 3-4 business days before ordering the display panels to coordinate the receipt of both items at the same time. the warranty on the panels is only 7 days and I will need a run-dmd board to test the panels.

Quoted from TomGWI:

Damn. Wish I would have saw this before Expo.

yeah, where were you?

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

I was hiding.

you did an excellent job because I couldn't find you

#55 7 years ago

2016.oct.27 update
    - power supplies have been ordered and are expected to arrive next week
    - sorting and bagging of hardware components per clock has begun (this makes assembly easier
    - custom cable (both power and data) construction will commence this weekend
    - run-dmd boards have been ordered and are expected to post out around nov.08

once I have confirmation that the pc boards have shipped, I will place the order for the LED panels and the acrylic panels
    the ETA on having everything in my possession is mid november, which means that I should be able to assemble and ship all of the clocks prior to thanksgiving <fingers crossed>

#58 7 years ago

2016.oct.31 update
    - power supplies have arrived
    - 20+ sets of hardware (screws, spacers, washers, stand-offs) have all been separated and bagged
    - M3 and M4 allen wrenches received (to include with the kits)
    - display panels have arrived and have been tested.
    - custom cable construction has begun (slightly delayed by a seawitch playfield stripping that took priority

- run-dmd white boards still slated to ship next week, nov.07, and should arrive approximately 8-10 business days afterwards

the last piece of the puzzle (the acrylic panels) will be ordered once I have confirmation that the run-dmd pc boards have shipped

1 week later
    #59 7 years ago

2016.nov.07 update
    - acrylic frames ordered
    - run-dmd pc boards shipped (most of them. the remainder are supposed to ship later this week/early next week)

assembly of the custom power and data cables will be completed this week prior to receiving the remaining inbound components

#60 7 years ago

2016.nov.08 update
    - acrylic has been laser cut and has shipped ahead of schedule

the expected date is next week monday, which means that I need to get my butt in gear and complete the power and data cables

#61 7 years ago

2016.nov.12 update
    100 pcs. of wire cut, 200 manual crimps and 50 zip ties later, the power cables are now complete (I now remember why I hated making cables).

the data cables will be completed sunday, right before the acrylic is set to arrive on monday

#64 7 years ago

2016.nov.14 update
    nothing done on sunday. it was a lazy day, but not as eventful as mr. parnell and samberg's
    http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/snl-digital-short-lazy-sunday/n12003

- data cable completion tonight
    - acrylic is on UPS truck for delivery today
    - a portion of the run-dmd boards should be delivered tomorrow

clock assembly will begin tomorrow if the boards arrive. invoice pm's to follow on wed-fri

#65 7 years ago

I've had a few people ask about these after the reservation list was closed. I did order some extra components, but most (if not all) may already be claimed.

I will let people know (in the order that requests and additional replies were posted here) if I have any extra clocks available to sell

#66 7 years ago

2016.nov.15 update
    - data cable construction has been completed
    - acrylic frames were received yesterday
    - 1st part of the run-dmd white boards are due to arrive today
    - 2nd part of the run-dmd white boards were shipped out today by linus

I will need to modify the run-dmd pc boards with my power connectors and then assembly can begin tonight. pm's will probably go out one day late (thursday, friday and saturday) to give me 2 nights to start assembly and allow me to box up a good portion of the clocks first

ps
    I've updated the info on the OP along with 4 people "on deck" based on what I believe that I may have for extra components. I am not taking any more people on at this time until I know where I stand with parts

10:00am EST update:
    run-dmd white pc boards have been delivered. [frankenstein-ification] will commence when I get home from work tonight to add the molex type power connectors and then assembly will begin

#67 7 years ago

2016.nov.17 update
    boxing up the completed clocks and more clock assembly continues this evening. invoices have been sent to about half of the initial reservation list this morning and clocks will be shipped out according to the order that payment is received

note: the 1st post of this thread has been updated to reflect who has received invoices thus far. it will continue to be updated as I receive payment and when the clocks are shipped for each person on the list

like the last batch, the clocks shipped about 90% assembled. to ensure that the front [transparent grey] acrylic panel is not scratched or otherwise damaged during shipping, it will ship separately in the box, with the protective paper on both sides.

the remaining assembly process is as follows:
    - attach the (6) black nylon hex stand-offs to the frontside of the rear panel using the (6) stainless M4 x 12mm screws. you should be able to tighten these by hand and then just snug them up using the enclosed allen key (the larger of the 2 enclosed)
    - remove the protective paper from both sides of the acrylic panel (starting at a corner, pull it slowly. the panel will flex a bit, but the paper should release pretty easily
    - using a swiffer or a lint-free/microfibre cloth, wipe any dust from the panel's inside (the side that will face the display), line up the panel with the stand-offs and attach it using the remaining (6) black oxide M4 x 12mm screws

finally, "fish" the round end of the power cord up (on the brick) from the bottom of the clock and plug it into the receptacle on the run-dmd board (which is visible through the square hole on the rear panel) and then plug the ac cord into the power brick

#68 7 years ago

2016.nov.18 update
    a good portion of the clocks have been assembled, boxed and are ready to ship. I'm hoping to have assembly of the remaining 6 clocks completed tonight. boxing them will occur over the weekend and shipping continuing on monday (as payments are received

the rest of you will receive invoices when that happens (I refuse to ask for money for a product that isn't assembled and ready to sell just in the off chance that something goes horribly wrong)

#69 7 years ago

2016.nov.18 update II
    I've just ordered 12 more rgb LED panels to build an additional 6 clocks. once those panels and the remaining run-dmd white boards arrive, I should be able to take care of everyone on the "stand by" list as well as a couple of local people

#70 7 years ago

2016.nov.18 update III
    all clocks where payment has been received have been boxed up and shipped. clock assembly continues tonight

#71 7 years ago

2016.nov.19 update
    all remaining clocks that I have components for were assembled last night. final boxing will commence tonight. the total amount due and payment information has been sent to all of the remaining people on the primary list

#73 7 years ago

tom,
    I'm glad that it arrived safely and was easy to finish the assembly and hang.

one thing that I want to note to everyone. there is a setting to eliminate the "flashing" of the status LED on the run-dmd board. I leave it on when setting up the clocks (it's on by default), but can be switched off by going into the settings, selecting 'status LED' and then 'disabled'

#76 7 years ago

thank you gentlemen for the kind words. it's been a fun project that's evolved over the past 2 years

#78 7 years ago

here you go:

on-off-off-on-off-off = red
    off-on-off-off-on-off = green
    off-off-on-off-off-on = blue
    on-on-off-on-on-off = yellow
    on-off-on-on-off-on = purple
    off-on-on-off-on-on = teal
    on-on-on-on-on-on = white

on - up, off - down

#79 7 years ago

good news for the people on the "on deck" list
    the 6 sets of displays that I've ordered have shipped and are finally on the way. I have enough hardware on hand to build these 6 clocks, however I will need to order a few more acrylic frames. fortunately, this will only lengthen the wait time by about an additional week

the only issue after that is that I do not have enough shipping boxes so I will have to figure something out to ship those last few clocks
    (uline.com, the place where I order most of my packaging supplies, only sell the boxes in bundles of 20s

#84 7 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

I say order a bundle of 20 boxes and start another batch of clocks!

that's always a possibility... however, a new run of clocks will not start until after the holidays

#86 7 years ago

just a head's up for everyone pm'ing me and asking to be added to the list (which is currently full) and/or just the frames and hardware

I've spent quite a bit of time tweaking and getting the clocks to where they are today, but unfortunately I do not plan to go back down the path of offering the acrylic frames and hardware separately (it just doesn't make sense for me to do all of the leg work and then make nothing on my effort

I will be offering another batch in 2017 (right after the holidays), so just hang tight for another month or two

ps
    where were all you people when I opened up this current batch and it almost didn't happen due to the fact that it took a month to get 15 people to buy-in

#88 7 years ago

2016.nov.28 update
    what I am going to do is this:
    I know for a fact that I do not have enough components to satisfy everyone on the current "wait list" (this is even before I added an additional 2 people this morning (I will know for sure just how many clocks that I will be able to assemble after testing the panels that I am slated to receive today

the 3 remaining people from the original reservation list still have this week to submit payment. after that, any unclaimed clocks will be made available to the remaining "wait list" people in order

any remaining unfulfilled "wait list" people will be moved to the top of the list for the next batch (a new thread will be created in late jan/early feb of 2017

ps
    I do have one set of what I would call [outdoor] panels (the discreet LEDs appear smaller with a larger, black "dead" area between them. they do not look bad, but do not look the [same] look as the other clocks. if anyone on the "wait list" is interested in these (I will post photos tuesday or wednesday evening with a side-by-side comparison), I would be willing to assemble a clock with these panels for a discounted price of $400 plus shipping.
    I only have one set of these. it will be first come, first served. post to the thread and pm me if you are interested

#90 7 years ago
    Quoted from GregP:

J.M.
    What is the LED pitch on these panels?

P5. these are the panels that I'm currently using
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Quality-SMD3528-Indoor-P5-LED-Display-Module-320MM-160MM-1-16-Scan-64-32-Indoor/32700516549.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.9V919y

the cost of shipping is the killer, otherwise I could afford to lower the cost of the clocks

ps
    these panels are actually slightly larger than the P5 ones that I originally started out using by. those may have been P4.75
    and are the largest panels that I can use and still fit into the frames using the largest sheet size of acrylic available that I can get laser cut

#91 7 years ago

2016.nov.29 update
    I assembled enough clocks last night to accommodate the following people:
    lurch, pcb355, ediblet, ScottyC, Tony1312

<stong>however, I currently completely out of packaging peanuts and I believe that I currently only have 4 shipping boxes
    with that said, I guess that I will place another [almost $1K] order with uline for supplies

#93 7 years ago

ps
    a guide for the menu options can be found here:
    http://www.phosphors.com/run-dmd/Run-DMD_v3.51_Menu_Navigation.pdf

#96 7 years ago
    Quoted from GregP:

Thanks J.M. You think it would be wise to grab a spare or two of these? I would assume at some point the LED's will crap out and may not be able to source these panels later, as technology advances.

the panels are rated to run for 100,000 hours which equates to over 11 years if they are left on continuously and are running 24/7/365

#97 7 years ago

ok, we're back in business for the rest of those on the "on deck" list

the order I placed from uline.com yesterday, arrived today
    uline order (resized).JPGuline order (resized).JPG

#100 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

A quick question can you upgrade the SD card on a Mac?

I'm not sure. if not, just find someone with a pc that has an sd card slot and bring hddrawcopy and the new image file over on a flash drive

#101 7 years ago

NOTICE
    for those of you that are updating the SD cards to the latest image files

all of the settings are stored on the SD card. this means that when you re-image the card, you are going to lose any settings that you previously set and saved

when you power up the clock again, you will need to hold in button 3 while powering up the clock. continue to hold down button 3 until the various display types start to cycle. press button 4 after display type 'C' appears to lock in the display type (this is for the HUB75 [rgb] panels)

NOTE: button 1 is the one closest to the SD card
    run-dmd white (resized).pngrun-dmd white (resized).png

after that, the list below are the setting changes that I made to the initial SD card images sent with the clocks

settings that you may want to re-address after re-imaging the SD card
    ANIMATIONS - ENABLE ALL (scroll to this sub option and SAVE)
    STATUS LED - change this to 'disabled' (this eliminates that blinking LED on the run-dmd pc board
    CONTENT FILTER - change this to 'enable all'
    DMD CONTRAST - change this to 'enhanced'
    TOOLS - BUTTONS - change this to 'reversed'

#104 7 years ago

button 1 is still button 1 and so forth, but you have to remember that the run-dmd pc board is installed upside down (and backwards if we're going to get technical so that you can access the buttons from the bottom of the clock.

I did this because as a large, walled mounted device, it made more sense to give everyone access to the menu options without having to stand on a step ladder or take the clock down off of the wall to access the buttons

#106 7 years ago

2016.dec.05 update
    I'm still waiting for the final 5 people on the lists to complete their transaction or provide me with an update

if I do not receive payment or a reply by the end of business (5pm EST) this friday, dec 09 I will release those clock(s) and make them available to others that have expressed interest

#107 7 years ago

two days to go. if payment and/or valid communication isn't received from:
    2Kaulitz, lurch, egiblet and Tony1312

those clocks will be offered up to:
    attack7, Pinzilla, Pocketchange, bigarn

based on this and past batches, going forward the clocks will be simply produced and offered up for a speedy transaction. I'm kind of done with all of these people who state that they want something and then do not have the common courtesy to reply back to any pm's (even if it's just to let me know that they are no longer interested

#110 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pmaino:

what type of SD card is best to buy for this? I want to update mine and would rather do that with a new card. If something goes wrong I can also revert back to the original SD card.

everything that's currently on there takes up less than 200MB, so a 2GB one will hold everything just fine (and take a little less time to image
    https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Flash-Memory-Card-TS2GSDC/dp/B000FGNM6I/ref=sr_1_1

#112 7 years ago

2016.dec.12 update
    the last 3 clocks should ship out tonight (barring any unforeseen issues with the 8-10" of snow that we received last night/this morning

going forward, I've decided to reduce the headaches on my end by ordering all of the components
    once everything is received, assembled and boxed up, I will create a thread offering up [x] number of ready to ship clocks

in the past batches, I thought that it was a good idea to try and gather everyone's mailing info [ahead of time] to save a step and gauge demand, but in reality, I think that [I ended up creating] an unnecessary gap between collecting the information and receiving the parts for assembly. this, in turn, created an inherent percentage of people asking to be added to the reservation list, without any intent of following through and purchasing a clock

#113 7 years ago

all clocks have now been shipped. thank you everyone that purchased one. for those still interested, check back around the beginning of february 2017

1 month later
    #114 7 years ago

2017.jan.17 update
    parts are starting to roll in and everything still looks good to having clocks assembled and ready for purchase the 1st or 2nd week of february

stay tuned and look for a new thread starting in about 2-3 weeks with purchase information

1 week later
    #115 7 years ago

I think that I'm close enough to the finish line to start this:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-assembled-clocks-batch-6

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider j_m_.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/run-dmd-assembled-clocks-batch-5?tu=j_m_ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.