(Topic ID: 186838)

rumours of a new Stern pin - Lynyrd Skynyrd?

By cooldan

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 136 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by cooldan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sc (resized).PNG
    rush02 (resized).jpg
    beavis550 (resized).jpg
    6a0133f30ae399970b01910252e5d1970c-pi (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1492659010307 (resized).jpg
    WTF (resized).jpg
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    ef058fccdf691361ba5a3de090da4185 (resized).jpg
    Jimmy_Buffett_Performing_in_Key_West (resized).jpg
    51o7IF7NpuL._SX355_ (resized).jpg
    IMG_0095 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dr_Smith.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#77 7 years ago

I don't think LS would do well. Going by how may people were at the LS show I saw last year, I don't think there is enough fanbase to make it profitable.

Though to me, theme isn't as important as playability/funfactor. Even the most absurd/bad themed pin with zero fanbase interested can be a great pin. Best example I can think of would be an Amish themed pin. Zero fan base interested in buying/playing it, but still could be cool... Hit the start button and it says "Thou art a sinner", the call outs for "Churn the Butter" mode could be epic, Barn Raising multiball, and a Rumspringa wizard mode. No outlanes, but instead "Shun lanes" and so forth could even get me to buy one. The theme sucks, but it's all in the execution and even a bad theme can still be fun if done well.

Even with that said, I can't see that Stern would think LS would be profitable overall. While I like LS, I think something more like a Snoop Dogg pin would be more profitable because he has a wider fanbase/likability and is still somewhat relevant (SD wouldn't be my kinda theme though personally, and any music themed pin that I don't like the band... I'm never buying one no matter how good it is. That to me, is the problem with music themed pins).

#105 7 years ago
    Quoted from vwallat99:

Snoop Dogg being more profitable is a joke. That fanbase isn't going to be the one's shelling out 8k on a pinball machine nor would an operator.

Hardly a joke... LS might do well regionally, but Snoop has sold millions more albums (in a much shorter and more recent time frame). I'm not a fan at all, but 14 top 10 singles is no small feat. While many of his fans might not be the main pinball demographic, reaching outside the norm is what brings new blood into the hobby. Also, there are many fans of that sort of genera have deep pockets and love to buy flashy things to try to impress people. Snoop would also likely be happy to do VOs for it and even advertise for it. Not only would it appeal to his fanbase, but also the pot subculture. Think of all those pot dispensaries where people have time to kill waiting for their turn in the back room with nothing to do. An SD pin would likely do damn well in the waiting room of any of the thousands of dispensaries here in the US for an op. I'd lay odds that SD would crush LS in profitability.

While I'm a Skynyrd fan, it just seems like LS is to narrow of a demographic. Most kids today would say "Which one's Lynyrd?", vandalize it because it had a Confederate flag on it, or just not be interested because they can't relate to the theme. I dunno, but that was my line of thinkin'.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Dr_Smith.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rumours-of-a-new-stern-pin-lynyrd-skynyrd?tu=Dr_Smith and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.