(Topic ID: 186838)

rumours of a new Stern pin - Lynyrd Skynyrd?

By cooldan

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 136 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by cooldan
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sc (resized).PNG
    rush02 (resized).jpg
    beavis550 (resized).jpg
    6a0133f30ae399970b01910252e5d1970c-pi (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1492659010307 (resized).jpg
    WTF (resized).jpg
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    ef058fccdf691361ba5a3de090da4185 (resized).jpg
    Jimmy_Buffett_Performing_in_Key_West (resized).jpg
    51o7IF7NpuL._SX355_ (resized).jpg
    IMG_0095 (resized).JPG

There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 6 years ago

I was a huge Lynyrd Skynyrd fan growing, would definitely buy this but sadly I don't think there'd be much demand for it...
    On a separate note, the Kingsman movie referenced above was actually quite good. Loved the church scene

#52 6 years ago

That ol' Iceman open mindedness

#53 6 years ago

Normally I'd say no way as they are a bit controversial, but how many pins do you need to sell to make it worth it at the premiums they currently command?

#54 6 years ago

Next up: a Carpenters pin! After that: Captain and Tenille! Hold onto your socks, here comes The Osmonds pinball!

#55 6 years ago

I would definitely be in on a Skynyrd pin!

#56 6 years ago

A Sonny and Cher pinball where the match game is Sonny slamming into a tree and leaving a number-shaped dent.

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from trunchbull:

A Sonny and Cher pinball where the match game is Sonny slamming into a tree and leaving a number-shaped dent.

Oooooh.

Reminds me of a line from a Redman song: "I go through more trees than Sonny Bono"

#58 6 years ago

I saw Skynyrd on the Street Survivors tour a few short weeks before the fatal plane crash.

Anaheim Stadium was rocking so hard, it looked as if the upper level could collapse at any time. Of all the bands I saw live back then, I had never seen a crowd so moved as during that show. 40,000 to 50,000 lighters in the air as Free Bird started is one memory I'll never forget.

#59 6 years ago

No American band better IMO I know the Eagles out sold them for sure and the Doors were pretty good to, but damn Skynyrd was the shit!

#61 6 years ago
    Quoted from cooldan:

probably hardly anyone outside of the UK ever saw

I think we've all seen it lol

This is America. All we do is watch TV, shoot our guns & consume GMO's

#62 6 years ago
    Quoted from GotAQuestion:

I just have to parrot the hope for a theme in an entirely new realm

Anything is possible in pinball.

51o7IF7NpuL._SX355_ (resized).jpg51o7IF7NpuL._SX355_ (resized).jpg

Jimmy_Buffett_Performing_in_Key_West (resized).jpgJimmy_Buffett_Performing_in_Key_West (resized).jpg

#63 6 years ago
    Quoted from bonzo442:

No American band better IMO I know the Eagles out sold them for sure and the Doors were pretty good to, but damn Skynyrd was the shit!

ef058fccdf691361ba5a3de090da4185 (resized).jpgef058fccdf691361ba5a3de090da4185 (resized).jpg

#64 6 years ago

Probally be another 2 baller for some...Sorry could not resist. Do me a favor and gimmi 3 steps and Ill be headin towards the door

#65 6 years ago

I hate Skynyrd as much as The Dude hates The Eagles.

EPIC FAIL

#66 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cornelius:

But for real, LS before Rush or Led Zeppelin would be criminal.

Could not agree more. For sure if they made a RUSH pin I would scrape up the scratch. Might have to for Led Zepplin. CPR is making a neat conversion kit for a LZ pin, looks great.

#67 6 years ago

Hey nothin against Slayer, but If I could go back in time I would go back to the summer of 76 in a custom Chevy van with a couple of buddies smokin out of a power hitter and drinking some cold ones checking out the babes and watchin Skynyrd in concert!

#68 6 years ago

Id rather CCR before Skynyrd, but Motorhead is a much better choice.

#69 6 years ago

No offense. (Well, maybe a little) But Lynyrd Skynryd is awful for a pin. I mean, maybe if I was HAMMERED drunk.

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg

#70 6 years ago

I was a huge lynyrd skynyrd fan in the 70's and 80's , but after the great job stern did on AS, the bar has been raised on the next music pin. Not interested in LS, unless it shoots fireworks out or something . They do have enough good songs to fill up the inserts on the pf though .
    I'm looking for a non license magic theme , cool art , blues and purples , sexy female voice , kind of sci-fi magic-ish . Maybe shoot the ball from the ball trough into a magicians hat in the top of the pf, and leave a trail of fire
    Who am I kidding, I'm broke , ain't buying for at least two years, AS was all my spending money for a while , and kid hits college about the time I will buy again, did I mention I'm broke

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Have to agree with jgentry. Just this morning, on FM radio I heard 'Sweet Home Alabama' for the 3rd time this week. Although the song is really good, just getting sick of the replay of that song. Tempted to send a new CD to radio station with other Skynyrd hits on it.

Whatever you do, don't move to the south.

They play that song every day on the radio!

Thank goodness for satellite radio!

WTF (resized).jpgWTF (resized).jpg

#72 6 years ago

At least in So Cal most of those "classic rock" stations that play the same 30 songs over and over again have been replaced by Spanish stations.

" I'm on a Mexican radio, radio...radio...."

#73 6 years ago

This is on my FB feed today

FB_IMG_1492659010307 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1492659010307 (resized).jpg

#74 6 years ago

Please no. You're already testing my limits by making listen to Dude Looks Like A Lady while playing pinball.

#75 6 years ago

6a0133f30ae399970b01910252e5d1970c-pi (resized).jpg6a0133f30ae399970b01910252e5d1970c-pi (resized).jpg

#76 6 years ago
    Quoted from Clytor:

Please no. You're already testing my limits by making listen to Dude Looks Like A Lady while playing pinball.

Gotta admit those animations are pretty hilarious on Dude looks like a lady lol

#77 6 years ago

I don't think LS would do well. Going by how may people were at the LS show I saw last year, I don't think there is enough fanbase to make it profitable.

Though to me, theme isn't as important as playability/funfactor. Even the most absurd/bad themed pin with zero fanbase interested can be a great pin. Best example I can think of would be an Amish themed pin. Zero fan base interested in buying/playing it, but still could be cool... Hit the start button and it says "Thou art a sinner", the call outs for "Churn the Butter" mode could be epic, Barn Raising multiball, and a Rumspringa wizard mode. No outlanes, but instead "Shun lanes" and so forth could even get me to buy one. The theme sucks, but it's all in the execution and even a bad theme can still be fun if done well.

Even with that said, I can't see that Stern would think LS would be profitable overall. While I like LS, I think something more like a Snoop Dogg pin would be more profitable because he has a wider fanbase/likability and is still somewhat relevant (SD wouldn't be my kinda theme though personally, and any music themed pin that I don't like the band... I'm never buying one no matter how good it is. That to me, is the problem with music themed pins).

#78 6 years ago

i'm jealous of all you guys who've seen Skynyrd live, they haven't come to the UK in ages, and when I last checked their website (this week, while getting excited about this pin) they have no plans to come touring Europe any time soon

Amish pinball, now you're talking. that would be the nuts, the dog's bollocks as we say over here in Olde Blighty

#79 6 years ago

Not only is the music great, but Stern can be our hero and finally get rid of Kaneda for good!! I can't wait. Give me back my bullets!! The breeze!! That smell!! Simple man!! Freebird!! All the best southern rock!!!

#80 6 years ago

I don't some of you are giving this enough credit. If this is serious I'd be in on a NIB and I've never even thought of ever buying a new machine ever. Snoop Dogg being more profitable is a joke. That fanbase isn't going to be the one's shelling out 8k on a pinball machine nor would an operator.

#81 6 years ago

Dear Lord sweet baby Jesus, anything but Skynyrd! How about Rolling Stones VE instead??

-Steve

#82 6 years ago

How about something with music that lends itself to pinball. I mean you want speed and adrenaline, Metallica at least fit pretty well, AC/DC even but the soft rock stuff just won't work, doesn't have to be Slayer or Motorhead or Megadeth or Pantera, well yes it does, lets make it happen. I think Judas Priest would be a good mix as you get the 70's stuff but also have great 80's and 90's not to mention...........

old school song still happening and better than ever

#83 6 years ago

I've still got my hopes up for a Gregg Allman & Cher pin

#84 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

How about something with music that lends itself to pinball. I mean you want speed and adrenaline, Metallica at least fit pretty well, AC/DC even but the soft rock stuff just won't work, doesn't have to be Slayer or Motorhead or Megadeth or Pantera, well yes it does, lets make it happen. I think Judas Priest would be a good mix as you get the 70's stuff but also have great 80's and 90's not to mention...........
    » YouTube video
    old school song still happening and better than ever
    » YouTube video

A pinball machine screaming "PAINKILLER!" at me would pretty much be a dream come true.

#85 6 years ago

Honestly, I would not be upset if I never had to hear Sweet home Alabama again in my life. I could possibly put freebird in that category as well. Its not that its a bad song, its just I've heard it soooooo many times and soooo often that I just could care less to ever hear it again.

#86 6 years ago

lol no, the next music pin is iron maide, sillies

#87 6 years ago

I'd be in for some Skynyrd.

#88 6 years ago

I'm seeing skynyrd next week. Dead center, 4th row. I love Lynyrd skynyrd but I don't want to buy their pin. I am against music pins. I don't want to get burned out on my favorite bands music by playing pinball.

#89 6 years ago

Not sure Stern wants to be known as the "Relics of Rock Pinball Company". Time will tell.

#90 6 years ago

Red Hot Chilli Peppers would be aight too

I know how Stern chooses their licenses.

It all started years ago when Gary Stern went to Target, specifically to the retro vintage $9 t-shirt section. There he saw an ACDC shirt next to a Metallica, Kiss, Tron, Ironman, Ghostbusters & Aerosmith shirt.... He held a meeting the very next day.

Shit for real tho, someone somewhere @ Target looked @ the data before the purchase order. I'm sure Targets buyers, forecasters & trend analysts are A1. If I were Stern I'd just go to the Target t-shirt rack from now on for million dollar licensing advice for $9 a title

#91 6 years ago
    Quoted from VDrums2112:

Dear Lord sweet baby Jesus, anything but Skynyrd! How about Rolling Stones VE instead??
    -Steve

From your user name RUSH pin?

#92 6 years ago

I wouldn't mind a RHCP, but can pinball please branch out to more music genres, don't we have enough "rock" pins? I get it how the high energy type of music fits with the chaotic nature of pinball. If music pins keep being produced instead of original themes and ideas, why not Parliament Funkadelic, Beastie Boys, dare I say Michael Jackson, Wu-Tang Clan, Prince, A Tribe Called Quest, James Brown..or if continuing down the "rock" style path, more non-70's and 80's rock music like a Green Day, No Doubt, Sublime, Korn, STP?

Branch out please.

#93 6 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

There he saw an ACDC shirt next to a Metallica,

beavis550 (resized).jpgbeavis550 (resized).jpg

#94 6 years ago

How about a Daft Punk pin where you help to construct and DJ a song by playing the modes? An Avalanches pin, a Tame Impala pin, an Arctic Monkeys pin, a Decemberists pin, a The Weeknd "Starboy" pin. An EM-style vaporwave pin where you chop and screw the music live based on the shots you make. A new retro wave pin decked out with LE wire - you could make it crime themed, or driving themed. A Talking Heads pin, a Devo pin, a Eurythmics pin, a Kraftwerk pin, a Weird Al pin, a Paul Simon pin, gahhhh

#95 6 years ago
    Quoted from cooldan:

Rumours of a new Stern pin.

If it is Rumours, then the pin would have to be Fleetwood Mac, wouldn't it?

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from DruTheFu:

Branch out please.

Why?

Stern didn't get where they are by taking chances. Middle aged white guys are buying their pins, so that's who they are making 'em for. I'd like some variety too but I just don't see why it would be a sound business decision to ditch what is working for them.

You want to roll the dice with a Wu Tang clan game? Great, start your own pinball company, I don't think 12 is enough.

#97 6 years ago

I assume the LE will come with a double wide and a 30 rack of Bud...

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why?
    Stern didn't get where they are by taking chances. Middle aged white guys are buying their pins, so that's who they are making 'em for. I'd like some variety too but I just don't see why it would be a sound business decision to ditch what is working for them.
    You want to roll the dice with a Wu Tang clan game? Great, start your own pinball company, I don't think 12 is enough.

As a middle aged white guy with a taste for a lot of non-white artist rock 'n roll music, a shaolin kung-fu style Wu-Tang pin could work, more so than a stadium rock band theme that we've seen many examples of already in existence. I know a ton of white, asian, black, hispanic, and multicultural people that listen to music outside of the current rock line up we've seen, and they flip pinball machines as well. But Wu-Tang was an example of another genre. I get that the current demographic of pinball buyers are middle-aged white guys, but wouldn't an expansion of genres be part of the hope to grow the hobby, tap a wider market, and bring other demographics into the mix? Since when has variety been a bad thing? I listed other examples of different musical acts that have wide appeal as "examples". It wouldn't be breaking from the business decisions they already have in place, it would grow upon what has already been established....music themed pins.

"Start my own pinball company" comment by you about an "idea" I've seen that same comment posted by you before to other users' posts, sorry to have posted. I'll go back to just viewing and not posting so I, noob to the forum, can continue reading posts from the old guard of pin hobbiests.

#99 6 years ago
    Quoted from DruTheFu:

As a middle aged white guy with a taste for a lot of non-white artist rock 'n roll music, a shaolin kung-fu style Wu-Tang pin could work, more so than a stadium rock band theme that we've seen many examples of already in existence. I know a ton of white, asian, black, hispanic, and multicultural people that listen to music outside of the current rock line up we've seen, and they flip pinball machines as well. But Wu-Tang was an example of another genre. I get that the current demographic of pinball buyers are middle-aged white guys, but wouldn't an expansion of genres be part of the hope to grow the hobby, tap a wider market, and bring other demographics into the mix? Since when has variety been a bad thing? I listed other examples of different musical acts that have wide appeal as "examples". It wouldn't be breaking from the business decisions they already have in place, it would grow upon what has already been established....music themed pins.
    "Start my own pinball company" comment by you about an "idea" I've seen that same comment posted by you before to other users' posts, sorry to have posted. I'll go back to just viewing and not posting so I, noob to the forum, can continue reading posts from the old guard of pin hobbiests.

You asked "why" Stern isn't moving beyond the 70s-80s rock band formula and I told you. It doesn't make any sense for them to do it when these themes are producing for 'em. Sorry you didn't dig the answer.

I'm sorry but a rap-themed license would be a huge - and most importantly, pointless - gamble for them. Why take a chance like that when they know A Van Halen pin would sell to their target demographic?

#100 6 years ago

The business reason is obvious, it just bites to have an entire hobby whittled down to novelty nostalgia gifts for dads.

There are 136 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rumours-of-a-new-stern-pin-lynyrd-skynyrd/page/2?hl=pinhead2112 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.