• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PlayField_LED.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Hi all-

So I just finished a couple month restoration of a 1977 Gottlieb Super spin and have finally moved it into the house and just started playing it. I *think* that the game is playing 100% perfect in terms of rule set, function, etc but I have a question about one part... the roto target... can you tell me if what I describe seems to be how the game is supposed to work...

Look at the center roto target arrow at the top center left side of the play field. Starting at the top the text reads...

"Scores 10X Target Value... then the white insert is lettered "HIT" and the there is a large "&" on the lettering in the arrow and finally a red insert lettered "WHEN LIT" and more lettering on the arrow "STAR TARGET SCORES SPECIAL"

Here is what happens during game play.

If you hit the left or right roto targets (under the metal enclosure you cannot see them) they score the correct value 100-500 and the white insert with the "Hit" lettering lights up fairly briefly - say a second or something, like its indicating that you scored that.

If you hit the center roto target value the white insert with "HIT" lights (just like the sides) but you score 10X the value, so 1000-5000 (unsure what the star gives never did quite hit that yet) and then the white insert goes dark again (like 1 second its lit up).

So, I am guessing this is playing correctly, you ALWAYS score 10x on the center roto target and the white inserts with the "HIT" lettering are simply indicators that briefly light to let you know your hit that target (I guess this is nice as you might not know if your ball hit left right or center). I had initially read that to mean that when the white "HIT" insert lit up you would then score 10x... but that does not seem to be how the game works in that those "HIT" inserts only ever light up after you have hit the target and only for a second or so... thus... I think my game is playing correctly.

Do you agree?

I am also uncertain exactly what triggers the red insert to light up "WHEN LIT" to enable the "Score Target scores SPECIAL".... but it does work and seems to light up only after you have the bonus count up over 10,000 and perhaps something else happens but its not clear exactly what the rule set is to get that one to light. Never have hit the star with that lit up... but very curious what "SPECIAL" is... I bet its good!!

Any comments/experience/intrepretations.. .any knowledge of what the "Special" score is?

Here is the play field in its entirety... to help with rule figuring out. Any resource with rules for this game I don't see any on line anywhere. Manual is not so clear to me but Maybe i need to re-read it again.

Playfield is LED GI from Cointaker, "retro" if your curious... bright white color.

Crappy cell phone pic but gives you the idea anyhow.

PlayField_LED.jpgPlayField_LED.jpg

#2 11 years ago

hmm not really sure but will bump this up for you. I can say that typically a "special" is a free game.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from rufessor:

"Scores 10X Target Value... then the white insert is lettered "HIT" and the there is a large "&" on the lettering in the arrow and finally a red insert lettered "WHEN LIT" and more lettering on the arrow "STAR TARGET SCORES SPECIAL"

All you need to do is read the play field. But it helps when you own a similar game.
The star, will score you the special when the special is lit.
Hit is an indication that you hit the target, as in OP comment.
Not sure, but if you hit the very-target all the way to five, I think you will light both Specials.

So why don’t you take the glass off and start a game, and press things see what happens?

Be careful of the thumper bumper and the slingshots, best to hit them with the ball NOT your finger.

EDIT- Specials, can be a free ball or a free game, depending how you set the plug near the Coin door.

Nice job of the PF.

#4 11 years ago

Thanks-

The reason I had asked this was that when I first got the game, and read the play field I read it to indicate that you need to light up the "Hit" insert to get the 10x so I assumed that the reason it was scoring 10x every time I hit the center target was because it was mis-adjusted- as this was my first ever Pin Ball I kinda got stuck in that thinking and even after fully shopping it and etc, began playing it and it still scored 10x on the center... so I read it again and then described the action during play (above) and things began to become clear, but I still was not totally certain I had it correct.

THANKS for helping, so its playing perfect... but for ONE thing I discovered last night while actually enjoying a number of games. The 5,000 point special relay must have an issue with the hold coil. I will pull that apart tonight and fix it, after that the game seems to be playing perfectly in terms of rules etc.

Thanks!

#5 11 years ago

Its been a while since I played this table, but (as mentioned) i think the only way to get a Special lit is to knock the vari-target all the way back.

If I recall, there is a difference (perhaps x10) between 3-ball and 5-ball games and roto-target scoring. I think the roto-targets are 100-500 for a 3-ball game and 1000-5000 for a 5-ball game. I don't recall if/how the 10X lite gets lit in play.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rules-what-does-this-mean and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.