(Topic ID: 69968)

RULES TO LIVE BY....when working with EM machines!

By jodini

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2013-05-14 22.04.30.jpg
    2013-05-14 22.04.52.jpg
    2013-05-14 22.04.43.jpg
    2013-05-14 22.04.16.jpg
    2013-05-14 22.04.05.jpg
    2013-05-14 22.03.57.jpg
    IMG_79080992705085.jpeg
    th.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 10 years ago

edit to rule 1: never use contact cleaner, period...

rule 10: put a piece of cardboard over the "rabbit hole" when working in the back box (rule stolen from pin-it)...

#9 10 years ago

rule 11: never assume that just because a switch "looks closed" that it is making a solid electrical connection...

corollary to rule 11: never assume that because a fuse "looks good" that it really "is good"...

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

I still don't see why people use magic erasers

prudent usage of magic erasers can produce very nice results...

imprudent usage, otoh...

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Rule 14- Try to keep track of that switch adjustment tool. If you can.

#29 10 years ago

rule (whatever number we are up to): next time you are tempted to work on the machine when it is on, remember the last time you zapped yourself...

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Here's something that will give you a real charge in life! 50,000 volts worth.

th.jpeg 9 KB

#43 10 years ago

rule 21: assume that every machine you bring in will result in an order of at least $150 from pbr...

corollary to rule 21: ensure you have part numbers before calling pbr...

#45 10 years ago

re: rule 23... sad, but true...

someday, i want to be able to look at my gameroom and say, "gee, i have nothing to work on"...

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

No you don't! Quite kidding yourself Chris! Please refer back to rule 23. Thanks you for your cooperation.
    Ken

yea yea yea.... sadly though, you are correct... i'm going to need to invoke rule 22 soon... gotta have something to work on over the winter...

#58 10 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

Rule 31. If its painted blue , it probably needs a rebuild

IMG_79080992705085.jpeg 52 KB

you have to ask yourself... why? who thought that might be a good idea?

#59 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

Crap! I'd just like to look at my game room and say "which one should I play?" Right now, my Golden Arrow project is in the way of everything else!!

that's one way of forcing yourself to complete a project... i need to get over the honeymoon period with the bad cats and get back to work on the magic city...

#66 10 years ago
    Quoted from Ralph67:

Rule 240v . Never reach into a Gottlieb EM through the front door!, to try and reset the target bank and touch the reset coil lugs instead! , as this hurts! Zap!. Even when these games are off at the cabinet switch . The Large Reset coils do still have mains Voltage running through them. so be careful

???? they are still switched (on games that have switches, that is)???

yes, they are mains voltage...

#69 10 years ago

^^^

i've never seen one wired that way before...

#72 10 years ago

^^^

again, i've never seen one wired that way before... someone else needs to chime in here...

#77 10 years ago
    Quoted from Ralph67:

Yes you must be right, i just looked at the Schematics and it does not go to coils before switch as i thought , mine must of been wired wrong??? I delete other posts sorry

no need to delete... just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something here...

#78 10 years ago

as long as we are on the subject of zapping...

rule 34 (?)... ensure that if your start button should have fish paper insulation, it actually has the fish paper in the right place... yes, i have learned this lesson the hard way...

corollary to above... if the machine is one that has a mechanical connection between metal flipper buttons and the flipper switch (like my royal guard, for example), ensure that there is insulation between the button and the metal piece that actuates the switch... i learned this one the hard way as well...

#95 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

Bringing Royal Guard into the house this weekend! Now that Golden Arrow is running, I will be on to the next one. Excited!!!

Quoted from way2wyrd:

Royal Guard club!!!

Quoted from AlexF:

I've got one coming...

wow, 4 of us... anyone want mine? interesting thing about royal guards, most of them (including mine) seem to be in pretty darn good shape pf wise... my original bg is TOASTED in the "guard" lettering though... amoungst other issues with it...

Quoted from AlexF:

Nothing wrong with that. I hope to sample their work sometime too. With that said it's hard to beat a Ron Webb silkscreened glass. They sure are pretty.

yes, ron's bg's are VERY nice... i have one in both my royal guard and jacks open... and you know how i am about backglasses...

Quoted from Pafasa:

Man, I can't wait!
    Are those sunburst targets some kind of kicker? Are they available or am I going to have to make a decal?

nope, they are a target... steve has them (unless he ran out)...

i'm STRONGLY considering blinging mine out and getting the metal pieces on the slings and up by the pops gold plated...

#96 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

If there is only one thing you take away from this thread..........
    Chris' #34 post is the absolute most important one. Especially if you happen to lean up against the start button in just the right spot, if you know what I mean!

Quoted from Pafasa:

Which Hard Way??? Did it zap you in the finger or did it zap you in the OTHER finger?
    Nudge, Nudge, SURPRIZE!!!!

fortunately, the fingers on my hands...

Quoted from Xerico:

The golden EM Rule: If you cannot handle nicks, scratches, bumps, shocks, bruises, scrapes, blood or occasional pain, do not attempt to repair an EM. You are just not cut out for it.

yea, true dat... imo, being up to date on your tetanus shot is a requirement for working on an em... as you WILL cut yourself...

#97 10 years ago
    Quoted from way2wyrd:

Mine is in pretty decent shape. Mybackglass is cherry. Ive just started cleaning her up and hope to have her done by Feb.
    --Jeff

MB

that bg looks to be in remarkably good shape...

i replaced all the posts, rollover guides, bumper caps, bats, etc. on mine... basically everything other than the plastics... really made it look much better...

oh yea, and the complete coin door assembly with repro parts from pbr... the door assembly was wasted on mine, it looked like someone bent it with a crowbar...

#98 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

Hey LOOK! I'm a pinball guru now!!!
    In your FACE Chumps!!

oh guru, we bow down to thee...

#102 10 years ago
    Quoted from hoov:

There was a Royal Guard stencil kit on ebay........ I think I saw it there

hmmm... i gotta go look... i actually just need to redo the front of mine, someone repainted just the front but didn't do a great job...

#103 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

Rule number 35:
    Never expect your thread to stay on track for very long!
    Rule number 36:
    Always remember to pull the plunger out a little bit when lifting the playfield!!

rule 35 is what makes the em section of pinside MUCH more fun than the other sections...

i am NOT touching rule 36...

#104 10 years ago
    Quoted from BrianG:

I'm learning and this post makes me grab another pack of paper to make notes LOL .... There's alot to learn from you guys
    Brian

welcome to "our" corner of pinside...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ccotenj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rules-to-live-bywhen-working-with-em-machines?tu=ccotenj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.