Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
#1 8 years ago

I'd like to compare the rules between these two games, to see which has better rules.

hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in and tell me what I don't know.

SM has 4 main modes (Goblin, Sandman, Venom, Doc Oc) which could be compared to ST 6 modes (DTD etc.) each of which can go three deep. With SM modes you can run the modes all at the same time (is this good?) with SM each mode has a dedicated area for example Goblin is the Goblin targets (etc.) and as you get to level 1,2,3 they get harder or require more shots.

With ST each mode the shot area is more free form although I don't know exactly Eskaybee tells me that each mode has a certain rhyme or reason why it the lit shots are lit in that particular shots for that mode. Modes can not be run together and you can pick in order to get more level one or more depth in each mode.

ST has some stand alone modes such as Klingon and Vengeance battles, as well as some GAT special scoring and also has medals and the three tier wizard modes.

SM has several timed modes such as Bonesaw, Rescue MJ, Daily Bugle (etc.) which I don't think have a correspondence in ST. Also two wizard-like modes.

I happen to like the GAT bonuses, but I believe I'd prefer more modes such as SM has with the timed modes (as well).

I am not quite sure of the scoring and strategy aspects of either pins. It's said that SM really took off once the rules were completed, but I am not sure what that involved.

One criticism to me when I had SM was that I would play the four modes as they came up. I really didn't go into a game and say I'm going to try to not start Venom or try to concentrate on Goblin (or any real strategy) I did watch some of the SM tutorial and saw that you should try to bring a timed mode into the other modes.

To me, while I do like dedicated areas of the PF like SM (also like IM), at the same time (IMO) those games tend to play out much the same. Meaning just try to get as many of the modes completed and progress to whatever wizard mode possible. With ST (again I don't really know the rules) it seems as if there is more paths (possibilities) to play, such as going three deep or to go all level one modes.

One more aspect, SM has more inserts (not only major shot arrows, but also spider inserts and white web inserts) so in a way SM gives you more information and more things to aim for. ST has major shot arrows as well as combo inserts.

As far as the wizard modes, have never really got that far so I don't know or can't say how they stack up or which game has better rules.

I do know the perception is that ST is so-so for the rules (some say chopping wood or just 'shoot the flashing lights') others say ST has very good, deep and thought out rules. While most people seem to say SM is another example of Lyman Sheats Jr being the best and the brightest (some say only Stern programmer worth buying).

Above is just my view from a punter (what I mean is a guy who know the rules of modern pins, but not one that ever gets too deep into the game to know exactly how good or bad the rules are).

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

With SM modes you can run the modes all at the same time (is this good?)

I think this is good in SM because of the simple narrative attached to each. You're fighting that villian. Each shot is an attack. If ST's modes were stackable, it would be be a bit confusing because the modes are more story/event driven. If multiple stories were happening at once it would be a mess. However, you can easily imagine Spidey fighting 4 villains at a time.

#3 8 years ago

I think both a really great games. My only hesitation on picking up a SM is that the ball times seemed kind of longish. I prefer IM type games the most and ST is already pushing the ball time limits for me.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I think both a really great games. My only hesitation on picking up a SM is that the ball times seemed kind of longish. I prefer IM type games the most and ST is already pushing the ball time limits for me.

That's a good point, guess they're both long games.

#5 8 years ago

I am very interested in this thread. One of these games will be my next purchase. I have searched over and over for ST rules being defined with no luck.

#6 8 years ago

Can someone post or know where one can the rules for SM. I believe there was a video done with Elwin that showed how it's done but can't find it. Thanks.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Can someone post or know where one can the rules for SM. I believe there was a video done with Elwin that showed how it's done but can't find it. Thanks.

I prefer to read the rules, these are preliminary rules from Pinball News, no wizards etc..

----> http://www.pinballnews.com/games/spiderman/index6.html

SM Video

ST video

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I had both, kept STLE because it's nicer looking but take away looks and maybe SM is better, Venom ramp is my favorite ramp shot.

image.jpegimage.jpeg
image.jpegimage.jpeg

#9 8 years ago

Is there a more updated written rule set that matches current code and explains the wizards? That tutorial is awesome, thanks for posting.

#10 8 years ago

SM another GREAT pin by Lyman and Ritchie. Overall one of the best pins ever.

STLE def looks better but I just can't get into it.

Lyman is the obvious difference.

#11 8 years ago

Iceman, are ST wizard modes just the 3 modes that follow completing a tier?

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

I think its 6 main modes that completing 3 in a row, over and over again, help advance towards "Captains Chair" wizard mode, which I guess some say feels like chopping wood.

Eskaybee is the ST aficionado and has gone into some extensive strategy and details.

#13 8 years ago

You refer to Venom, Goblin, Doc Ock, and Sandman as "modes", but I would call those "objectives". Like shooting the castle on MM...that's not a mode...you don't need to do anything to start it and hitting it anytime makes progress.

What you refer to as "timed modes" in SM...I would agree - those are modes. You have to do something to start them. And once you've played them, they're done.

IMO, the play of SM is much more obvious and straightforward. It's easier to understand what is going on with the villains, and doc ock / blacksuit multiballs (although starting a timed mode is not obvious).

ST has much more nuanced rules, that seem shallower at first, but are deeper once you really understand them. Which modes to choose (in which order), GAT, bringing in multiballs, 2x scoring or add-a-ball from the warp ramp, combos for double point values.

BTW - In SM, ideally you'll start a mode, then start a multiball. Then make some progress towards the next multiball during that one. The reason to complete villains is that after you've defeated them all once, it lights extra ball. When you've defeated them all twice, it lights Battle Royale. Not sure what happens if you defeat them all three times.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Not sure what happens if you defeat them all three times.

In the rules above, it says that defeating the villains for the third time lights the special. How does one get to the final wizard mode "Super Hero" then?

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Yes. Finish all 6 first level missions for Kobayashi maru. The better you do on the first missions (more shots) adds a medal bonus before Kobayashi maru.
All 6 second level missions for Enterprise amok.
All 6 3rd level for 5 year mission.

Extras are all 6 first level missions have the away team shot that adds extra scoring and modes for each mission.
Any 3 in a row on the matrix lights super spinner, super ramps, super pops.

Then there is Klingon multiball by locking 3 balls by lighting the locks. Vengeance multiball. Vengeance scoring . Vengeance battle hurry up.
Warp 9.1 double scoring. And 9.9 add a ball.

The captains char lights when you get 3 in a row. And before the start of a wiz mode.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

You refer to Venom, Goblin, Doc Ock, and Sandman as "modes", but I would call those "objectives". Like shooting the castle on MM...that's not a mode...you don't need to do anything to start it and hitting it anytime makes progress.
What you refer to as "timed modes" in SM...I would agree - those are modes. You have to do something to start them. And once you've played them, they're done.
IMO, the play of SM is much more obvious and straightforward. It's easier to understand what is going on with the villains, and doc ock / blacksuit multiballs (although starting a timed mode is not obvious).
ST has much more nuanced rules, that seem shallower at first, but are deeper once you really understand them. Which modes to choose (in which order), GAT, bringing in multiballs, 2x scoring or add-a-ball from the warp ramp, combos for double point values.
BTW - In SM, ideally you'll start a mode, then start a multiball. Then make some progress towards the next multiball during that one. The reason to complete villains is that after you've defeated them all once, it lights extra ball. When you've defeated them all twice, it lights Battle Royale. Not sure what happens if you defeat them all three times.

SM - Three rounds of villians earns a special. My award is set for an extra ball.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

In the rules above, it says that defeating the villains for the third time lights the special. How does one get to the final wizard mode "Super Hero" then?

I believe you have to play all the modes in addition to defeating each villain three times to get to the Super Hero Wizard Mode.

#18 8 years ago

Jethrodium is correct, defeat all villans three times and start (no need to complete) all white modes for super hero.

Don't know much about st but spiderman is ond of the best games off all time.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I had both, kept STLE because it's nicer looking but take away looks and maybe SM is better, Venom ramp is my favorite ramp shot.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I had both too!
SM is probably a better game but I told it because I like STLE more. Don't know why

#20 8 years ago

Might be I sold SM because ST was newer and SM has slightly longer ball times, and I was seeing more of the front end of SM all the time, didn't get to the Wizards much so I guess I missed the special sauce.

With ST since I see the front end more at least that's different modes although I'd wish the level 1 modes were more special but the medals do help.

#21 8 years ago

I was once very attached to STLE. One day it disappeared from the arcade, and I was bummed. I remembered people saying "ST is just a rethemed SM". So, missing ST I decided to give SM a shot.

I went from being sad about ST to finding out SM is my all time favorite game. I think it's always going to come down to personal taste, but SM was exactly what I was looking for. I fully understand the rules of ST, but I feel like the rules all come together in a magic way on SM.

SM's wizard mode (super hero) is as good as they get. Five levels of increasing difficulty culminating in the greatest final shot ever.

Triple the Doc Ock shot, beat super hero for a score doubler, then start ripping x6 Armed at the Dock super jackpots. It's just about the best feeling in pinball. ST never had anything for me that feels as good as that.

I still think ST is a fantastic game, but SM will never leave my collection.

#22 8 years ago

love SM.I think its my fav Stern and my fav Ritchie/Sheets game.

Quoted from BangBackula:I was once very attached to STLE. One day it disappeared from the arcade, and I was bummed. I remembered people saying "ST is just a rethemed SM". So, missing ST I decided to give SM a shot.
I went from being sad about ST to finding out SM is my all time favorite game. I think it's always going to come down to personal taste, but SM was exactly what I was looking for. I fully understand the rules of ST, but I feel like the rules all come together in a magic way on SM.
SM's wizard mode (super hero) is as good as they get. Five levels of increasing difficulty culminating in the greatest final shot ever.
Triple the Doc Ock shot, beat super hero for a score doubler, then start ripping x6 Armed at the Dock super jackpots. It's just about the best feeling in pinball. ST never had anything for me that feels as good as that.
I still think ST is a fantastic game, but SM will never leave my collection.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rules-sm-v-st and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.