Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Chrisbee
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Basically what is the normal amount of windings on a player unit, bonus, or ball count unit. (Large coil spring on these assemblies.) I have had this happen when you lose grip on the spring and it unwinds, I rewound it and felt comfortable where it sat. For example say if 4 winds and it runs smooth, but really needs 6.
    Thanks

Your thoughts welcome.

#2 10 years ago

I read somewhere that you should count the number of winds when you unwind it so you know how much tension it needs when you put it back together.

Like you, I'm also wondering if there is some kind of normal?

#3 10 years ago

It is a tricky balance, since too loose or too tight and it won't behave correctly. I have found 3 to 4 gives me the sweet spot, but it seems to vary based on the mechanism. Of course most important thing is to properly clean it. I've wasted too much time messing with how many wraps and adjusting springs when trying to take a short cut and not taking the whole thing apart and cleaning it properly. I've learned my lesson on that, and now I just bite the bullet and take the needed time to tear the steppers apart and clean the heck out of them.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from alb0711:

I read somewhere that you should count the number of winds when you unwind it so you know how much tension it needs when you put it back together.
    Like you, I'm also wondering if there is some kind of normal?

I agree, count prior, but the one that got away was too late

#5 10 years ago

I almost had one get away from me last night from my Gottlieb replay unit! Caught it with my finger and have the puncture wound to prove it. It needed 4 winds...

#6 10 years ago

I have found Williams steppers to be 3 winds.

#7 10 years ago

Every one I have worked on (with the exception of one on a one-off shuffle board scorer) has been between 3-5 windings.

#8 10 years ago

The problem with counting when you unwind is that your counting on (pun intended) that the last guy wound it correctly. Just like he correctly replaced that blown fuse with a 1/4"bolt wrapped in foil for good measure.

And I also find 3-4 winds correct.

Art.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from alb0711:

Caught it with my finger and have the puncture wound to prove it.

Little vice-grips are the ticket.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pin-it:

Little vice-grips are the ticket.

Great idea! I've got a few more steppers to rebuild - will dig out the vice grips.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from MrArt2u:

that the last guy wound it correctly.

I once posted (on RGP) that I was looking for photos of a tear down for one of my machines. LTG posted I should be taking my own photos. Him posting that pretty much killed the thread and I reached out to him explaining, that based on what I was seeing, I had very little confidence the last guy had put things back together the right way. He acknowledged that he had not really thought about that when he replied.

2 weeks later
    #12 10 years ago

i like to start with 3 turns. On Bally's you can also have 1/4 , 1/2 and 3/4 turns too, fine adjustment.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rule-of-thumb-springs-on-player-units and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.