Rudy's mouth gears

By surfsled

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hi
I have a funhouse I have restored with a new p/f from Gene.
The Rudy mouth gear keeps stripping out (half-moon one) and also the round one once.
I have gotten both NOS gears and ones from Marco. I also tried lining up the gears better under the p/f.
Does anyone have a similar problem and a solution? I am tired of spending money for gears and replacing them.
thanks!
Jeff Rank (FEJ)

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from surfsled:

Hi
I have a Funhouse I have restored with a new p/f from Gene.
The Rudy mouth gear keeps stripping out (half-moon one) and also the round one once.
I have gotten both NOS gears and ones from Marco. I also tried lining up the gears better under the p/f.
Does anyone have a similar problem and a solution? I am tired of spending money for gears and replacing them.
thanks!
Jeff Rank (FEJ)

The only issue I ever had was with the repro gears I had purchased about 8 years ago. That set broke, so I re-installed the original set and have had 0 problems with them. There is a guy on ebay selling metal gears. They are super pricey (about 90 bucks PER gear!) but I am guessing they will solve any breaking issues.

Is it the right motor under the PF? I could see too strong of a motor constantly stripping gears.

#3 9 years ago

Jeff, I worked for a customer on a Ted's mouth with similar issue on RS. I replaced every gear, the motor, everything and that fool's mouth continued to get stripped and stuck open no matter what. I aligned and re-aligned, matched to Red's mouth, everything. I hope you find a solution, because I never did on that one, one of the few pinball issues that I couldn't get fixed. So, definitely bumping for solution!

#4 9 years ago

Thanks guys I will prob. look for the metal gears. It should be the original motor that is under the playfield .. just want
people to have fun with this game on location and not have a mouth that doesn't work correctly.. this is the main point of the game.
Jeff (FEJ)

#5 9 years ago

great machine! I hope you can get it resolved or else...

sooo sleepy....sooooo sleepy.....I might never wake up.

#7 9 years ago

You might want to check the mechanics of the jaw, make sure it works free / not binding, and check the springs, make sure they're not broke or stretched, or even disconnected.

#8 9 years ago

I understand there's some bad gears out there. I got some from PL that they had floating around for my Road Show that supposedly are better but the metal ones look like the last gears you'll need. Curious to see how they hold up as time goes on but expect for a long time.

#9 9 years ago

good luck with the replacement Shaun White!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 63.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rudys-mouth-gears and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.