Saw (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
download (resized).jpg
DSC_7150 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 8.58.49 AM (resized).png
4B4A90CE-0442-43AC-B92B-4F4DC5594739 (resized).jpeg
1BD6A0EF-9EDA-4331-83E6-F41F97BF40DA (resized).png

This topic is closed.

There are 248 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 3 years ago

Man that video is awesome!! What a clever way to showcase their behavior. That is pure genius.

Hope your robocop is doing well!!

Quoted from cottonm4:

Find a musician to work up a jingle for you and out those Mother FKERS !!
It worked for this musician when United Airlines broke his guitar and was trying to flip him off. He youtubed ( youtube is now a verb) the hell out of them and got satisfaction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Breaks_Guitars
" Carroll says that his fruitless negotiations with the airline lasted about nine months.[4] Then, asking himself, "if Michael Moore was a singer-songwriter, what would he do?", Carroll wrote a song and created a music video about his experience..."
" The YouTube video was posted on July 6, 2009. It amassed 150,000 views within one day, prompting United to contact Carroll saying it hoped to right the wrong..."
Hammer them on the Nashville Craigslist with some pictures of that broken cab. Put them under the Klieg lights and light those bastards up.
My girlfriend's daughter works for for a local TV station. She makes the decisions on what the news people present on TV. She would be all over this. Call your local TV stations and see if you can get some visibility. Around here the local TV stations do shows to help the little guy.

#152 3 years ago
Quoted from rugged96:

I'm learning this forum and it's etiquette but thank you very much for the responses thus far. I've reached out to Music City pinball but just waiting for a phone call back.

Give it to HEP, get insurance to pay for that !

#153 3 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Yep, and like I said (and to expand upon) this is not the type of truck a legit moving company would use. It’s not covered, it’s not marked, and I’d be willing to bet it’s not properly insured. And I’d rate this “company” at a far below average mover.

This was already explained earlier- there was a mixup and no truck available, only movers. That truck was someone’s personal truck.

Man I cannot imagine being OPs dad and seeing that truck show up and back into my driveway. I would lose my shit

#154 3 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I think the real takeaway is don't let others move them for you.

Or rather, do your own prep work on anything you care about and do your research into potential moving companies. Don't just pick a moving company at random. Ask your friends, family, co-workers, local realtors, etc and then vet them. However, sometimes, good moving companies out there might be so busy that they don't even need to advertise and just rely on word-of-mouth. When you prep stuff, protect edges and corners and shrink wrap everything in a few layers of plastic.

#155 3 years ago

When I moved. I moved our games and other fragile stuff. Let the movers handle the other stuff. They busted a nice wooden end table. I count my blessings.

#156 3 years ago

My takeaway: shit happens. For every one of this kind of incident, there are hundreds that go off without a hitch.

All you can do is attempt to hold them accountable. No use losing sleep over it!

I doubt OP will recover enough to pay someone to repair that one. If he's lucky he'll get enough to replace it with an average example. But I fear that amount would not be enough to pay someone to reassemble the victim game.

I don't think the insurance company will even want the destroyed one to salvage, either, so there might be an extra kilobuck there for the hassle, if he can sell it as a project.

Now, I don't know if that particular Funhouse has sentimental value, like the one my late wife bought me. If it were me, I'd have to add money to get it restored properly. Heh, maybe then I'd finally send it to HEP like I should have right after she died...

I count my blessings, having a trailer and still nimble enough to move 'em myself at 60.

#157 3 years ago

You made it clear you needed an item moved and they sent two movers and a vehicle. It’s not your responsibility to know which vehicles are covered by their insurance, and the driver was confirming you were comfortable transporting the pin on a truck bed - not that you were absolving the company of any liability should anything happen to your property.

The company bears the most responsibility here. The driver should have exercised way better judgment (at several points) but at the end of the day, his boss sent him on a job without the necessary equipment. Driver was probably eager to finish the job and now his company is directing OP to sue the driver. (They know the driver’s personal auto insurance won’t cover this. Most insurance companies will deny a claim if the accident happened on the clock.) Don’t beat yourself up on this too much. You trusted some people to do a job and they let you down.

#158 3 years ago

Damn, is that the boots from the guy they ran over jumping the truck?

1BD6A0EF-9EDA-4331-83E6-F41F97BF40DA (resized).png1BD6A0EF-9EDA-4331-83E6-F41F97BF40DA (resized).png
#159 3 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

Actually the guy is still smashed in there between the cab and the bed. Dead for sure.

#160 3 years ago
Quoted from rugged96:

The moving company tells me that because it wasn't in their truck its not their liability. Of course, no one told me that beforehand.

They need to go f right off with that bullshat.
Someone would need some adjustment after saying that to me.

Quoted from transprtr4u:

This sucks, however as the owner why would not prep the game to travel... legs off , head down lots of wrap?
Looks like they didn't strap it down , sadly I see a Pinball rolling down the road because I'm assuming the balls were still in the game.
I wrap and protect my game just moving them local.

That would actually make it worse...
I've actually had people tell me because I wrapped it; they weren't responsible for any damage what-so-ever.
You need to clearly communicate with any Mover/Shipper to understand their rules/responsibility.
I general; you supply them with a working game... and make recommendations; but they do every single thing.

#161 3 years ago
Quoted from thechakapakuni:

[quoted image]

Those are probably Muck boots or concrete boots. They are thin enough to slide between the cab and the bed.

Truck also has a temp tag. Not that it means much, but 9 times out of 10, that broken down vehicle on the side of the road has a temp tag.

#162 3 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

Those are probably Muck boots or concrete boots. They are thin enough to slide between the cab and the bed.
Truck also has a temp tag. Not that it means much, but 9 times out of 10, that broken down vehicle on the side of the road has a temp tag.

“Game was delivered... and boots up.”

#163 3 years ago
Quoted from rugged96:

Legit moving company. The contract estimate was only for hourly labor even though I explicitly indicated that I needed this moved across town. I primarily hired them to move furniture out of my house and into the garage as part of a floor refinishing project. Due to a scheduling conflict they sent me a crew without a company truck. The guys told me that they could move it on the pickup and I agreed. The moving company tells me that because it wasn't in their truck its not their liability. Of course, no one told me that beforehand.

You need to seriously stop correspondence with them, get some estimates, and go to court. Let a judge sort it out.

#164 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:On the left is what they left the driveway with. On the right, what they arrived with.
Caveat? How does anyone know what is under the blanket? Hopefully, the paperwork states what is there.
[quoted image]

Quoted from woody76:

yes, it appears the handle on the tailgate is missing. you can see the game is completely turned around now. I think he took off and the game slid backwards and hit the tailgate forcing it open and then the game dumped on the street. You can see the front of the game hit first at a angle and the force of the playfield just pushed the face and coindoor right out the front of the cabinet. Explalins why no glass is in the truck or hardly in the game. It is all in the street somewhere.

From looking at the before and after, this looks like the most likely scenario. Not sure how anyone could realistically claim the game did not fly out onto the road. It’s not strapped down, the tailgate handle is missing, and the game is completely flipped around.
The driver also took an hour and a half to go five miles. 15-20 minutes of driving and a little over an hour searching for and picking up pieces and parts of the game.

4B4A90CE-0442-43AC-B92B-4F4DC5594739 (resized).jpeg4B4A90CE-0442-43AC-B92B-4F4DC5594739 (resized).jpeg
#165 3 years ago

Wow how unfortunate. While it sucks, it sounds like it may have been accidental, and you may not know what kind of day the movers were having or what is going on in their personal lives. I am not making excuses just that I would want to make things right and move on. I think what I would do is call two known pinball repair/restoration guys that could possibly give you an estimate to replace the cabinet(with decals) and swap everything out properly. I would get this estimate in writing so you have something to present to the moving company and or small claims court(worse case scenario) to settle a claim.

You sound like a mechanically savvy guy, so I would say do not mess around trying to glue your fathers pride and joy-do it the right way and replace the cabinet,etc. You could purchase a cabinet and decals and with the help of Pinsiders here-you could do it yourself? Or you could find someone locally that could probably help you out-lots of pinheads near you. You have come to the right place, Pinside and Pinsiders are always willing to help with problems. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

#166 3 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Yep, and like I said (and to expand upon) this is not the type of truck a legit moving company would use. It’s not covered, it’s not marked, and I’d be willing to bet it’s not properly insured. And I’d rate this “company” at a far below average mover.

Get a lawyer time, see you in court.

#167 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Wow how unfortunate. While it sucks, it sounds like it may have been accidental, and you may not know what kind of day the movers were having or what is going on in their personal lives.

Its doesn't matter.

They were paid to do a job and botched it, its all on them regardless of how their day started.

#168 3 years ago

It has to have fallen out of the back. Wouldn't the backbox before damaged much more if it had flipped over the side like the mover claimed happened when jumping a curb after being cutoff?

#169 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

They were paid to do a job and botched it, its all on them regardless of how their day started.

Yes they were paid but take the higher road and handle it professionally. Shit happens and people are all stressed out to the max right now. I certainly treat our vendors differently during these stressful times. Again not making excuses but I would just make things right. Should cost probably around $3000-$3700?(Not sure?) from restoration guy and $1700-$2500 to do it yourself? Is it worth calling a shark(I mean lawyer)? This is a small claims court issue and we are not talking about a $14,000 FH, but a players $3700 FH originally. May just buy used comparable FH to replace and sell damaged one to someone for a project(ask moving company for price difference)? Just make things right and move on.

#170 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Yes they were paid but take the higher road and handle it professionally. Shit happens and people are all stressed out to the max right now.

So? If I was came into work with a shit attitude and customers (residents) suffered for it I'd be fired on the spot.

I have zero sympathy for the movers here particularly since they are shirking their responsibility to make it right.

#171 3 years ago

A pinball machine barely alive. Gentlemen! We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was before. Better, stronger, FASTER!
DSC_7150 (resized).jpgDSC_7150 (resized).jpg

#172 3 years ago

Something you can do now - pull the Rayovac batteries off the MPU. No sense in giving them the opportunity to leak and ruin the board while sitting around waiting for the cabinet repair/replacement.

Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 8.58.49 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-02-03 at 8.58.49 AM (resized).png

-Rob
-visit https://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#173 3 years ago

Take all of your pictures, videos and paperwork and replacement estimates to buy one and go see.....

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg
#174 3 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Just 5 miles? ALOT can happen in just 5 miles.

#175 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

When I moved. I moved our games and other fragile stuff. Let the movers handle the other stuff. They busted a nice wooden end table. I count my blessings.

I've been planning a future long-distance move and have pretty much decided I'm renting a large box truck to move all my games, TVs, floor-standing speakers (old JBL L100T3s) and any other really valuable/fragile things myself. It will suck driving some rental P.O.S. truck that far but it will be worth it!

#176 3 years ago

Relax, alright, My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools, I can fix it!

Just tryin to cheer ya up.

#177 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I've been planning a future long-distance move and have pretty much decided I'm renting a large box truck to move all my games, TVs, floor-standing speakers (old JBL L100T3s) and any other really valuable/fragile things myself. It will suck driving some rental P.O.S. truck that far but it will be worth it!

If you can, try to find out if the rental companies truck have governors installed ( They probably do ). Find out what speed they are governed at. Posted speed limits are 75 mph on a lot of highways.

It stinks when the rental you got is governed to about 70 mph. It really stinks when the Penske POS you got gets passed by an Enterprise truck that is also pulling a car.

It stinks to get stuck in playing uphill-downhill races with the 18 wheelers that are governed at 70 mph, as well.

Forget about me now, but you will remember me if you get the wrong truck and watch everybody pass you by.

Other than the governing, the Penske truck(s) have driven nice.

#178 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

well heres the thing...
movers like this just make you sign some piece of paper that if you dont read basically makes them liable for next to nothing.
while they obviously fucked up and or were negligent odds are you dont have recourse.
I had a bunch of stuff damaged moving from NY to California and wasnt much I could do in the end.

Interstate moving is a whole different animal and the federal rules regulating it are a lose-lose situation for the consumer. Moving companies can extort you and threaten to impound your belongings unless you pay up. Then you’re also on the hook for storage and a second delivery. It’s horrific.

5 Miles—and local? Take them to court. You may even be able to got to small claims. With your photos, it may be open and shut.

#179 3 years ago

I was just looking at the truck, is that a temporary paper plate on the back? That's not a good sign.

#180 3 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

I was just looking at the truck, is that a temporary paper plate on the back? That's not a good sign.

yes, everything about this screams shady.

#181 3 years ago

I just want to know what they said when they delivered it ? What was the look on their faces ?

#182 3 years ago
Quoted from TenaciousT:

I just want to know what they said when they delivered it ? What was the look on their faces ?

I think they just had to play it straight. Probably didn't even mention anything was amiss.

#183 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

yes, everything about this screams shady.

I'm thinking the moving company flipped a few bucks to a buddy for an off the books delivery.

#184 3 years ago
Quoted from albummydavis:

Interstate moving is a whole different animal and the federal rules regulating it are a lose-lose situation for the consumer. Moving companies can extort you and threaten to impound your belongings unless you pay up. Then you’re also on the hook for storage and a second delivery. It’s horrific.
5 Miles—and local? Take them to court. You may even be able to got to small claims. With your photos, it may be open and shut.

Not to be a debbie downer here but I would assume he had to sign something to limit their liability like most movers.

Usually when they walk in they have you sign paperwork (that no one reads but its there to fuck you over in event of damage) before they do anything.

If he did sign that, all the movers need to do is show that in court and walk away.

If he didnt sign anything then sure... do what you gotta do.

#185 3 years ago

Speaking as somebody currently involved in litigation $30k and counting...unless you specifically had something signed by them that is legally binding, you are out of luck unfortunately.

You can sue them, but it will cost thousands just to file in court and you may - or may not - be successful depending on your agreement from them/any insurance/liability accepted by the moving party/etc.

Even if you are successful and the Judge awards damages, you may have difficulty collecting.

This really sucks but it's the reason I don't trust movers to move my machines. Only myself and my friends.

#186 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

One other thought for you. If you rent the box truck and move yourself, those trucks use a lot of fuel.

If you have enough that you are moving that you will fill an Atlas Van Lines or Mayflower truck, then hire the truck for your move only. Some times on smaller loads the movers might stop at another location and pick up for other house of furniture and pack it in. you want point A to point B with no C or D tossed in along the way.

Hire the truck for your move only and follow them down the highway all the way to point B. If they know you are watching them like a hawk they might treat your items a little nicer.

#187 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer67:

Speaking as somebody currently involved in litigation $30k and counting...unless you specifically had something signed by them that is legally binding, you are out of luck unfortunately.
You can sue them, but it will cost thousands just to file in court and you may - or may not - be successful depending on your agreement from them/any insurance/liability accepted by the moving party/etc.
Even if you are successful and the Judge awards damages, you may have difficulty collecting.
This really sucks but it's the reason I don't trust movers to move my machines. Only myself and my friends.

Thanks. we've hit a brick wall at every turn.
homeowners insurance says no way it's covered unless it was a reported accident
the driver of the truck says no liability because he was 'on the clock'
the moving company says no liability because it was in a personal vehicle; now they won't call us back. our contract says 2 men and 1 truck *(not the company name).
police say nothing was reported
i have called a lawyer

#188 3 years ago
Quoted from rugged96:

the moving company says no liability because it was in a personal vehicle; now they won't call us back. our contract says 2 men and 1 truck *(not the company name).
i have called a lawyer

Collectively, we are all still horrified that Rudy ended up in this situation. It would be good to see if/when you get the current bucket of bolts on the path to being repaired.

#189 3 years ago
Quoted from rugged96:

now they won't call us back.

Don't forget the youtube option if the lawyer cannot help you. I don't know about anybody else, but I would use your pics and put up a CL ad and say "Look what this company did to my friend's pinball machine." Start clogging the Nashville CL ads with that and you might get some action.

I wonder if this moving outfit even has liability insurance.

#190 3 years ago

Please let us know what the lawyer has to say about this...it may help another one of us down the road.

#191 3 years ago
Quoted from rugged96:

i have called a lawyer

Thank you for the updates and very sorry this happened to you, your father and the game. Should Rudy have his own lawyer to look out for his best interests? I know the perfect guy.

Saw (resized).JPGSaw (resized).JPG
#192 3 years ago
Quoted from rugged96:

the moving company says no liability because it was in a personal vehicle

This is the point I was making earlier. These statements contradict each other so now you have to look at the fine print of the contract. Who broke the contract, the driver, the company, or both? A good lawyer should be able to use this as a gift I would think.

Put both the worker and company on the lawsuit, and watch them start eating each other to get out of liability. Chances are it will also cause one of them to say something incriminating. It looks like they are already borderline admitting liability.

#193 3 years ago

Let's see the actual contract you signed to hire this moving company.

There are some great legal minds on this forum!

I've got the owner's name, address and registration from the truck's temporary plate already.

#194 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I've got the owner's name, address and registration from the truck's temporary plate already

Super Sleuth Vid... !

#195 3 years ago

I would think a key piece of info is "who decided to use the guy's personal truck?"

If the company said "We're currently out of trucks...just use your own." then I would think the company is liable. If the driver said "I hate those trucks, I'll just use my own." then I would think the driver is liable.

#196 3 years ago

My wife and I drove every possible route we could think of that they would have taken and haven't found any glass in the road. No idea where this happened.

#197 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Let's see the actual contract you signed to hire this moving company.
There are some great legal minds on this forum!
I've got the owner's name, address and registration from the truck's temporary plate already.

Wow, that's solid. I have his phone number and he gave my dad his insurance card after he arrived. His insurance is the one claiming no deal,because he was on company time.

#198 3 years ago
Quoted from rugged96:

Wow, that's solid. I have his phone number and he gave my dad his insurance card after he arrived. His insurance is the one claiming no deal,because he was on company time.

Just from my experience as a business owner. If I send a employee out for a delivery or pickup in their personal vehicle I am 100% responsible for them and their vehicle while on company time. This company needs to pay.

here they are folks: https://nashvillemoving.org/about/

#199 3 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Don't forget the youtube option if the lawyer cannot help you. I don't know about anybody else, but I would use your pics and put up a CL ad and say "Look what this company did to my friend's pinball machine." Start clogging the Nashville CL ads with that and you might get some action.
I wonder if this moving outfit even has liability insurance.

I'm going to add this. It is not related but the principle is the same. I don't remember where I read it and it could be just a story, but here goes.

A "massage parlor" opened up and got a phone number that was one digit off from someone's mother's phone number and this mother kept getting calls at all hours for the massage parlor. She made repeated requests to the parlor to get a new number and kept getting the middle finger salute. Then she got an idea.

When someone called looking for the massage parlor, she said, "Oh, they went out of business last week." The massage parlor got a new phone number.

Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.

#200 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Just from my experience as a business owner. If I send a employee out for a delivery or pickup in their personal vehicle I am 100% responsible for theme and their vehicle while on company time. This company needs to pay.
here they are folks: https://nashvillemoving.org/about/

Same here. I’m a general contractor but don’t have company vehicles. My guys use their own trucks and I’m responsible for them when they are on company time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.95
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
13,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
There are 248 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rudy-s-funhouse-destroyed-by-movers/page/4?hl=jaytrem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.